[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do Johnny Foreigners believe that Sir Alex Ferguson was the greatest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4
File: alex-ferguson-580.jpg (197 KB, 580x412) Image search: [Google]
alex-ferguson-580.jpg
197 KB, 580x412
Do Johnny Foreigners believe that Sir Alex Ferguson was the greatest football manager of all time?
>>
>25 years
>2 (two) Champions Leagues

Literally a big fish in a small pond manager
>>
>>63802023
no, he was the best one manu ever had though.
>>
File: 1446106873248.png (2 MB, 1393x580) Image search: [Google]
1446106873248.png
2 MB, 1393x580
>>63802023
Don't know if he was "the greatest" but definetely one of the greatest.
>>
>>63802023
no , that would be brian clough
>>
>>63802092
This
>>
>>63802082
He would have won a lot more if that barca team wasn't so ridiculously strong in the 08-10, they played them in 2 finals iirc, and with 4 champions leagues to his name he would have looked a hell of a lot stronger
>>
>>63802023
no, roy evans was
>>
>>63802023
He was ok for a premierfag
>>
what's your all time managers top 10 /sp/?

mine would be something along these lines

1- Sacchi
2- Michels
3- Clough
4- Paisley
5- Ancelotti
6- Ferguson
7- Lippi
8- Poop
9- Del Bosque
10- Mourinho

Klopp might join them, depends if he will ever achieve success in Europe
he's still young though, so i hope he can, he's a great guy
>>
>>63802272

yeah this, it's a shame for him that he crafted probably one of the greatest club sides english football has ever seen only to have to pit it against probably THE greatest club side in football ever for the European Cup. He would almost certainly have another european cup or even two if it wasn't for poop's Barca
>>
>>63802420

If we're talking ifs and buts then he could easily have zero champions leagues with United. A freak comeback and a penalty shootout, could easily have lost both those games.

I'd have him top 5 greatest managers of all time but he definitely under achieved in europe. Yeah he lost to a great Barca team twice but there were also years where they were knocked out by inferior teams like Porto, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Monaco, or didn't even make it out of the group stage. He has no excuses because he always had a strong team.
>>
>>63802023

He only got 2 CL and both of them were super close.
>>
>>63802538

that's football m8, Real Madrid spent 10 years in Champions League era despite it's galacticos policy

>>63802542

>only
>>
>>63802538
Also, that Barça suffered more against other teams in those CL. That manu was already in decline.
>>
>>63802392
Good list. Capello like 11 or 12?
>>
>>63802561

they spent 10 years in Champions league wilderness I meant to say
>>
>>63802079
this, both of them last mins, being the worse team. They never dominated europe as a team.

He dominated refs, the fa, and small teams in the prem.

Carlo a, and jose are better
>>
File: 5612858bd9096.jpg (54 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
5612858bd9096.jpg
54 KB, 620x387
>>63802023
Everyone knows who the true GOAT is...
>>
>>63802605

I would argue that the '99 team was pretty fucking dominant in europe and the '08 one with Tevez/Rooney/ Ronaldo bent over the vast majority of their european opposition
>>
>>63802605
They got to 3 finals in 4 years, what else do you want you mug?
>>
>>63802570
maybe a bit lower
Him, Trapattoni, Rocco, Herrera and Pozzo are all in the top 20-25 though
>>
>>63802392
replace Del Bosque with Herrera and this is a good list. I'd swap Michels and Sacchi though.
>>
>>63802092
>top kek saved
>>
>>63802392
wheres wenger
>>
>>63802392
>No ernst happel
>no helenio herrera
>>
>>63802023
probably, the way he timed when to jump ship as it was in shambles was pretty brilliant.
>>
>25 years in charge of one of the top 2 richest teams in the world

>2 UCLs
>1 intercontinental cup
>tactically exposed in yurop OVER 20 TIMES despite commanding a vastly richer team
>EPL wasn't even a top 5 league in the 90s, the second he got some competition with chelsea, he lost dominance

I'd say he's the most overrated manager ever, but there's Wonga for that claim.

Bobby Robson was miles better.
>>
>>63802023
He was one of these guys that made sense at the club he was at but would have been mediocre everywhere else. Like Simeone for example.
I don't think he was particularily great tbph.
>>
>>63803482
He won 1 IC Cup and 1 CWC. It's pretty much the same thing
>>
>>63803500
He lost another CWC pretty hard though.

And both his UCL wins were down to luck desu.
>>
>implying not Mourinho
>>
>>63803482
>EPL wasn't even a top 5 league in the 90s

I highly doubt your family had a TV in the 90s.
>>
>>63803569
Nice meme.

But what I said is entirely true. The EPL didn't start being relevant again until the early 90s when it started moderniing, opened itself to foreign capital, managers and players.

90s EPL was literally a one-team hoofball league filled with brit nobodies. How many non-british top players played in your league back then? None. How many ballon d'or/WPOTY shortlisted nominees? None. How many teams other than manure had any continental success whatsoever? None. The EPL went from being the best league in Europe in the early 80s to a complete wasteland of talent.

Serie A was better, La Liga was better, Eredivisie was better, even Brasileirão was better, PORTUGUESE league was better, Ligue 1, though much smaller than today, was better.

All 90s EPL had was manure and the most overrated player of all time who never did anything against quality opposition: Alan Shearer. Any striker that scores 15+ goals in modern-day EPL would absolutely destroy any record Shearer had back in the day in that mickey mouse league.

Much like the real GOAT british managers are Clough/Robson, the real GOAT english striker is Lineker. Yet you inbred faggots don't even recognize true talent when you see it, and he's underrated nowadays.
>>
>>63803569
Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian and Argentinian leagues were all better.
>>
>>63803637
>The EPL didn't start being relevant again until the early 90s
You mean it didn't start being relevant until we could play in europe again. And united won a cup in their first year playing in europe after the ban
>>
>It's a Brazil spouts ignorance episode
>>
>>63803666
>You mean it didn't start being relevant until we could play in europe again. And united won a cup in their first year playing in europe after the ban

No, that's United.

The league as a whole, the other teams didn't start being relevant again until the 2001 reforms. Even late 90s arsenal was continentally irrelevant, a blip in the radar of Serie A teams/Real Madrid.
>>
>>63803666
THANKS LIVERPOOL
>>
>>63803637
>. How many non-british top players played in your league back then?

Cantona, Jaap Stam, Bergkamp, Henry, Schmeichel, Zola, Vieira, Roy Keane, Klinsmann.

And then British players like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Ferdinand, Shearer, Fowler, Andy Cole, Tony Adams, Lampard.

The assertion that any other league than Serie A and La Liga were better is laughable, especially fucking Ligue 1. You do know Marseille's CL win was illegitimate?
>>
>>63803700
>Even late 90s arsenal was continentally irrelevant,
Mid 90s arsenal on the other hand made back-to-back cup winners cup finals. Sure not as big as the champions league but that was when only the champions competed, not half a dozen teams from the same league.
>>
>>63803637

they were only banned for 5 years but prior to that english football dominated europe for 2 decades and as soon as they came back into it Man Utd beat Barca in the cup winners cup final, so please don't try to pretend that you're knowledgeable about european football to actual europeans
>>
>>63803719
>The assertion that any other league than Serie A and La Liga were better is laughable

What about the eredivisie? Ronaldo and Romario both played there. Ajax made back to back champions league finals.
>>
>>63803722
>Mid 90s arsenal on the other hand made back-to-back cup winners cup finals. Sure not as big as the champions league but that was when only the champions competed

That's not exactly right. The current format of the UCL exists since 92. The "only winners invited" thing applies to 91 and before.
>>
>>63803719
>it's a they must be good because i know them post
Klinsmann was dog shit, i saw him play.
>>
>>63803700

>No, that's United

Are you saying that in the other big leagues there are more than 1 or 2 'relevant' clubs? Because if you are you're a mong.

>Even late 90s arsenal was continentally irrelevant

Arsenal won the cup winners cup in 94 you absolute first class pleb
>>
>>63803738
>you
It was only in about 1998 or so that non-champions were allowed in. The change in 1992 introduced group stages rather than leaving it as a straight knockout. See >>63803728 about trying to pretend to be knowledgeable about European football when clearly you're full of more shit than an indian street
>>
>>63803737
I don't know, Ajax had a good team but I don't know how strong the league was as a whole.
>>
>>63803719
My point exactly.

Remove the United players, the one good team at the time, and you have like 3 top-level non-british players, all of them in Arsenal.

Wasteland of talent.
>>
>>63803737
that's like saying the SEC was a good basketball conference back when Florida was winning titles
>>
>>63803763
PSV won a UCL and made the final on the next year in the late 80s. And it continued pretty strong in europe until the 90s.
>>
>>63803743
This, they called him Flipper for a reason.
>>
>>63803760
>tfw serie a had 6 or 7 relevant clubs at some point
>>
>no world cup

>best

Pick uno m8
>>
>>63803760
>cup winners cup
>relevant
No meme cups, please.
>>
>>63803737

they did play there, in most cases they started their european club football there, but as soon as they got noticed they got sold to bigger leagues and bigger clubs, the awesome 94 ajax side got transferred out of existence not long after they won the european cup
>>
We all know that his best achievement was winning the cup winners cup in 1983
>>
>>63803774
How's that too different to the current best league?
>>
File: 1421107149975.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1421107149975.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>63803761
>clearly you're full of more shit than an indian street
>>
>>63803840
lolwut

PSV was literally the best club in the world when Romário went there.

Ronaldo's PSV had Cocu, Luc Nilis and several world class players. That year he competed and won the Eredivisie golden boot against Bergkamp.
>>
>>63803830

it was very relevant back then as was the uefa cup since the champions league had not yet made the other competitions irrelevant by inviting non champions, as soon as that happened the cup winners cup was retired and the uefa cup become irrelevant now no one gives a shit about anything but the CL

and besides all that the point is that they beat Barca in the final who at the time, much like now, were one of the best football teams on earth
>>
>>63803881

I'm not saying they were shit, I'm saying that just like now they couldn't hold onto their best players and they invariably left for bigger leagues and bigger clubs
>>
>>63803935
>I'm saying that just like now they couldn't hold onto their best players and they invariably left for bigger leagues and bigger clubs
None of them, as you might notice, went to england until they were considered to have FLOPPED at bigger clubs (Bergkamp going to arsenal after flopping at Inter, Henry going after flopping at Juve and Viera at Milan - the only 3 great players in the english league not in United)
>>
>>63802392

Pretty good list desu. I'd put Guardiola up there, I don't know where though.
>>
>>63802392
Put aragonés instead of del bosque.
>>
>post on a website on the World Wide Web
>World
>Wide
>Web
>forgeiners

Why do Americans and Brits do this?
>>
>>63803881
Is Cocu the most underrated player of all time?
>>
how do you Germans rate your current manager

I don't ever know his name t b h?
>>
>>63803485
Just like to point out he won the SPL with Aberdeen. Like the only non-Celtic/Rangers team to win it in about 300 years
>>
>>63805163
It's Yoshim Low
>>
>>63804292
Ur foreign
>>
>>63804055
he's 8th
>>
>>63803637

>He doesn't rate Shearer

Grow up
>>
>>63803999

Why do you keep using logic with this delusion fag? He doesn´t accept that Serie A was better than EPL for god sake.
>>
>>63802392
>No Trapattoni
Are you even Italian?
>>
Literally no one on /sp/ knows anything about soccer

Its all sensationalist or conformist opinions
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.