[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does each NFL team only play once per week? Why not add more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: confused pepe.png (4 KB, 144x90) Image search: [Google]
confused pepe.png
4 KB, 144x90
Why does each NFL team only play once per week? Why not add more games so its more like NBA, NHL, and MLB where there are lots of games.
>>
Because it's much more taxing on your body and players are dropping with season ending injuries every week as it is.
>>
different sports require different amounts of time for recovery
>>
Football is too violent a sport to play consistently for more than one week. The human body simply can't handle it.
>>
because everyone would get injured or die
>>
Football is insanely dangerous, if you even played twice a week practically every starter would be injured before the playoffs started.
>>
Because the playoffs would be nothing but backup literal whos every year. Not to mention all the deaths
>>
>>63755397

Everyone would be ded by week 4. I mean, everyone is already basically ded anyway, but at least it took time. Trust me, NFL is all about money. If they thought they could milk a couple more games a week, they would, but it's just not possible.
>>
>>63755397
Apart from the injury concerns, scarcity drives interest
You spend ALL WEEK looking forward to that game, you plan your day/WEEKEND around it, and it's (mostly) scheduled on weekends for maximum viewer availability
And every game fucking COUNTS: the difference between a single win and loss could very easily keep you out of the playoffs

It's not like in baseball, for example "Oh, the Cardinals lost to the Pirates today....well, there's still two more games in this series and we're leading them by 4.5 games in the standings, so no big deal"

No man, it's "OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE WE LOST TO THE PACKERS NOW THEY HOLD THE TIEBREAKER AND THERE'S NO WAY WE CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NOW MY LIFE IS OVER WHARGLBLARGL"
>>
>>63755482
This. That's exactly why I like NFL more than NBA and sometimes even prioritise NFL games over EPL. You just know that these games fucking matter and one slip up can drastically change your season
>>
>>63755397
Because NFL players are such bad athletes that if they slide wrong they tear every ligament in their body. The game would have to fundamentally change if it was played that much.
>>
Rugby players play 40 games a year without armour.

NFL confirmed for soft as fuck
>>
>>63756167
Football players are bigger and stronger and hit harder mainly because of the pads
>>
>>63756167

This is actually singular, objective proof that NFL games are tougher and more violent

thanks for the help
>>
>>63756167

Rugby has also banned practically every form of tackling that would actually get players injured
>>
>>63756167

Played football in high school and rugby in college. Football the hits are way harder since you are usually sprinting at each other, and the pats are more like armor. Its an anerobic sport- short bursts of intense activity followed by short bursts of rest. Sort of like hockey players...they get on the ice for 50 seconds, bust their ass, and quickly take a break for 2 mins.

Rugby is more like soccer. There are less stoppages in play but also far fewer collissions. If you're a back, you won't see the ball too often unless you're a fly half. Most of the time you are jogging, or covering the other teams' backs. It isn't like you are sprinting and running routes

Both sports are fucking awesome and fun to play, football is far more tactical/strategic however. Rugby players can't hit as hard because they have no pads..and ramming a dude with your shoulder would seperate your shoulder easily (most common rugby injury is shoulder for this reason)

tl;dr: Rugby and NFL football are not the same thing stop comparing them faggot who doesn't know what he's talking about
>>
>>63755482
This is why the NFL is the only pro sport league that even matters to me. Each game matters, each game is all or nothing (unless your season is beyond saving). Coaches and staff can be fired at a moments for just one bad year. Everything about the NFL is intense and nailbiting
>>
>>63755397
everyone would be ded
>>
>>63756167
Rugby hits are merely trips and hugs

Football hits are clotheslines, grabs, slams, and intense hits at running speed. your average rugby players would get destroyed in the NFL
>>
>>63756246
I mean, they already have an injury crisis with the amount of games played already
It's just going to get worse with more games
>>
they'll be able to once they make tackling illegal
>>
I'd be all for adding 2 more games to the season tho
>>
Getting injured in rugby is more common, and I don't think you can ever argue that it isn't. It's just a fact of life that comes from playing a contact sport with no real padding.
That being said, when injuries happen in football they are far more severe, which is obvious given the fact that players are wearing 20 pounds of padding, it lets them hit harder because they can rely on the pads to protect their own body.
It's the same effect of boxing gloves causing more head injuries than bare knuckle; you can't punch a guy in the face for 15 rounds without padding, just like you can't crunch someone's spine for 80+ minutes straight as opposed to around half of a 60 minute game with resets after plays
>>
>>63756240

Lol 'no'
>>
>>63756296
they've brought it up a couple times in the past few offseasons as something on the "to-do" list after expanding the playoffs to 14 teams, but the NFLPA has already said they basically won't even come to the negotiating table unless they also add an additional bye week in there as well, because guys are already riding it thin as it is. that would bump up the regular season to 20 weeks long, and possibly changing the preseason format somewhat.
>>
>>63755437
100% this.
>>
>>63756234
>Football the hits are way harder since you are usually sprinting at each other

This guy gets it. It's not necessarily that the NFL players are bigger/faster/stronger - although in general I think they are - it's that the game itself is designed differently. Rugby is far more free flowing, which give players less opportunity to line opponents up, not to mention the fact that due to it's continuous nature, players are more fatigued. American football is designed for maximum violence.
>>
>>63756889
More rested = harder tackling too
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.