[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you support a team? Is it because of your parents? Because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
Why do you support a team?
Is it because of your parents? Because is it your local team? Because is it the current best?
>>
They drafted me
>>
File: 1446533110390.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1446533110390.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
Growing up, I was a Redskins fan -- being in NC, almost all the 'Skins games were televised, so if you wanted to be able to watch the team you liked, you had to like the Redskins.

When they announced we were getting a team here, I switched over. If you have a local team, you ought to be a fan, and the Redskins owner and coaching staff had become too irritating to want to stick with them. Plus, of course, only getting one team on TV is no longer an issue...
>>
automatically became a fan of them when i was young becasue everyone among family and friends were.
>>
>>63725282
Twins, Timberwolves, North Stars -> Wild because born in MN
$(ers because first exposure to football was Tecmo Bowl (and fuck the Vikings)

Michigan because first job out of college was in AA (and fuck my alma mater that can't do anything right)
>>
I root for my hometown team, what I grew up with. I dunno how you can live with with doing otherwise. Even if I move, I won't just be a Patriots or Yankees fan all of a sudden.
>>
>>63725282
My dad was an Eagles fan, my Grandfather was an Eagles fan and so on.

Never had much of a close relationship with my dad but we can always watch the game on Sunday and that is nice.
>>
File: gootecks.png (119 KB, 394x465) Image search: [Google]
gootecks.png
119 KB, 394x465
>liking a team for no other reason than they are currently good
>>
My parents teams, my parents are from wisconsin but I grew up in Illinois but I'm a Brewers, Bucks, and Packers fan. Was raised a badgers fan too but I'm probly going to Ohio state once im done with cc so I currently don't have a favorite college team until I'm enrolled somewhere. Also a wings fan since wisconsin doesent have a NHL team
>>
>>63725282
>Because is it your local team?

Yes. Live 10 minutes from my two favorite team's stadiums.
>>
File: 3.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
If you're supporting a team, any team, except for the following reasons:

-Father or mother's team
-Near proximity to the club's stadium or sports facility
-Close relation to the club from when you were a child.
-Close ties to the tradition of your home town or neighbourhood

Then you're pretty much a bandwagoner, no two ways about it. The only exception is if the team you were following went bankrupt (and in the case it was refunded you can't change teams).
>>
File: wereshitsowhat.jpg (688 KB, 790x525) Image search: [Google]
wereshitsowhat.jpg
688 KB, 790x525
been following my local soccer team from the start, they're shit, but it's the only sports franchise I truly care about

>>63725762
this, I'm a first generation fan of >my team cause they're so young and I know a bunch of people that also go to games
>>
>>63725762
>Close relation to the club from when you were a child.
>Close ties to the tradition of your home town or neighbourhood

What are those even supposed to mean?
>>
>>63726028
I assume he means the club is a part of the culture of the town/both share political/whatever ideologies
>>
>>63726028
-That someone took you to the games as a kid, and therefore you have emotional attachment to the club. Or that you were or still are a member.
-That you're a fan of the team because it's closely related to the place you live or used to live and it's history (like a Boca Juniors fan from the La Boca neighbourhood, idk what an equivalent from England might be).
>>
>>63726070
How is that any different from his second point? Those last 2 points were completely redundant. Of course if it's the club of your native city it will have close ties to you from your childhood and to your city's tradition.
>>
>>63726094
>Close relation to the club from when you were a child.
means:
>That someone took you to the games as a kid, and therefore you have emotional attachment to the club. Or that you were or still are a member.

So "close relations" can only be "going to the stadium"? What if I watched them play from TV since I was a kid?
>>
My local team is my family team, so there's that. There is no other reason.
>>
>>63726164
>What if I watched them play from TV since I was a kid?

You never went to the stadium as a kid? Well it doesn't matter if you followed the team for one of the other reasons i listed, like being son to a fan of the club.
>>
File: 1448128082861.jpg (39 KB, 350x463) Image search: [Google]
1448128082861.jpg
39 KB, 350x463
>>63725773
>the only team he supports is a soccer team
>>
>>63726264
Literally nothing wrong with that mang, I feel more of a connection with them than any other sports team
>>
>tfw i lived in 5 different states before I was 10 years old
All the teams I'm a fan of in the US, I've been to home games for when I lived in the area, but since they're spread around the country folks call me a band wagoner
>>
>>63726264
>Wanting to be a slut who follows 8 teams

Bit weird 2bh
>>
>>63726387
this 3bh, most sports fan americans unironically watch like 5 sports on TV but don't support their smaller local teams
>>
>>63726387
>>63726453

>not living within minutes of multiple pro teams
>>
>>63726453
My local Class-A Advanced team used to be affiliated with my favorite MLB team, now they've gone from an AL affiliate to an NL, I still go, not as often though.
>>
>Browns
Local and from childhood
>Panthers
Steve Smith basically won me my first ffb championship
>Yankees
Was an Indians fan until they traded Baerga. Decided that whoever won the WS was my new team
>Pirates
Local and I'm a sucker for losing teams.
>Prairie View A&M
Longest losing streak in cfb history? SIGN ME UP
>Ryan Blaney
Family lives right up the road. Good people.
>>
>>63726488
I live near like 12+ pro sports teams within 3 hours drive, but the soccer team happens to be the closest
>>
>>63726534
it's a shame I think if minor league sports had promotion and relegation a lot more people would turn out
>>
I went to Auburn and had no team. The Panthers became my team when Cam got drafted.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.