[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's soccer in Canada compared with in the US?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: team-canada-soccer-betting.jpg (46 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
team-canada-soccer-betting.jpg
46 KB, 620x400
How's soccer in Canada compared with in the US?
>>
Pretty bad, their teams in MLS are pretty good, but as a nation they're one of the weaker in CONCACAF
>>
I live in Southern Ontario and soccer here is as big as Football, even not bigger, and close to as popular as hockey.
>>
2018 is our year la'
>>
>>63709651
lol wut is that a joke? hockey>basketball=football>>>soccer>baseball
>>
>>63709726
hell even rugby is starting to gain traction, maybe already caught up to soccer
>>
>>63709651
This isn't true at all. It goes NHL, NFL, MLB/NBA. Nobody really cares about soccer here
>>
>>63709783
>>63709726
I wasn't really talking in terms of viewership but more just favourite sport. Like I go to Mcmaster university and if you were to poll people I guarantee soccer would be top 3 if not top 2.
>>
>>63709868
think your overestimating soccer's popularity in canada
>>
>>63709868
Well, nobody I know really follows soccer at all, at least club soccer. WC and Euros are big. This is coming from a guy who hangs around mainly people of Italian ancestry as well, so you would think it would be popular among us, but it isn't. NFL is king. It is a small sample size though, although our extended group is rather large
>>
one world cup appearance and soccer will snowball into relevance
>>
>>63710204
USA and Canada both need that superstar for soccer to gain popularity
>>
Probably on par with us, as in hardly anyone cares about it. I do though....
>>
>>63710261
almost all the people i know that follow soccer (epl, la liga) are international students
>>
>>63710248
one world cup appearance will be enough i think. we are not cockblocked by the nfl and we are actually quite open to soccer unlike muricans who openly despise IT
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-37H6LdfU

There's a documentary about it made by the brazilian and portuguese community of Canada. There's also a cool college paper made by a portuguese canadian about the subject.

http://etnografica.revues.org/1424

Basically, soccer is a sport for immigrants in Canada, the majority of people who play it and watch it are immigrants of 1st and 2nd generation, canadians are apathetic towards it the same way americans are (maybe even more since at least the US have a team capable of qualifying for the WC). But it should be remembered that 25% of the canadian population is already part of that group, so the tendency of it is to grow more and more over the years.
>>
>>63709554
Are we talking quality wise, or how people perceive it? The quality's atrocious, and the perception is pretty much the same.
>>
It is probably more poplar per capita, at least in the major population centers
>>
>>63710053
Canada has some of the highest youth soccer rates in the whole world. We just happen to graduate to man sports as we get older. Some ladies stick with it though.
>>
>>63710296
canada has made a wc appearance and got totally btfo. 0 goals for.
>>
Nobody gives a shit about this shit FUCKING SPORT
>>
>>63709758
rugby is gonna get huge around the world in the next 30 years. It just got professional. Wait for it.

all rugby needs is a pro US league really
>>
>>63709783
so people in canada prefer NFL over CFL?
>>
>>63718600
In Toronto and the surrounding suburbs, yeah. I don't think that's the case in places like Edmonton, Calgary, etc. Toronto has more in common with bigger American cities than Canada's fourth or fifth largest cities, for example
>>
>>63709554
Shit, everyone cares too much about playing hockey or lacrosse.
>>
I don't know. I just like soccer, would be nice if we qualified. The match played in Vancouver was great. (3rd Gen Canadian bye the way).
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.