[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is nascar a sport?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 660x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 660x320
is nascar a sport?
>>
>>>/asp/
>>
It was until the chase was introduced.
>>
It's shown on sports television networks.
>>
>>63609624
Is car an athlete?
>>
If baseball and basketball are considered a sport than nascar is easily
>>
>>63610263
Is League of Legends a sport?
>>
Not as long as this Chase exists. Even the drivers have started calling it a circus.
>>
>>63609624
No, NASCAR is a sanctioning body.
>>
>>63610975
It's shown regularly on sports television networks.
>>
>>63609624
>drive left
>sport
>>
>final race of second round ends under multiple cautions
>final race of third round ends 100 laps early

Fucking kek
>>
>>63609624
Sanctioning body, set of rules, competition, strength and endurance required, winners and champions. Pretty hard to argue against unless you just stick your head in the dirt and go >hurr turning left driving cars
>>
>>63609624
It was before 2001
>>
>>63609624
More of a sport than NFL
>>
>>63609668
This. God how i hate that Chase bullshit.
>>
>>63609624
I've actually been thinking about this lately and by definition, yes. Sports don't have to be athletic (the IOC recognizes chess as a sport), just a competition between people with clear rules and parameters, and chance can't be a function of the game (poker) but can be an aspect (fumbles, deflected shots, gust of wind)

So racing is a sport but not athletic, while on the other hand mandrama is athletic but not a sport. The real question is, are events with judges sports since it's subjective who won not objective.
>>
Only if you consider the car to be the athlete, and the driver akin to a jockey in a horse race
>>
>>63615978
>racing is a sport but not athletic

Is this a joke? You need to be in shape to handle the G forces acting on your body. You're talking about sustained 2-3G forces with sudden and instant 3-4G forward, rearward, and lateral direction changes, AND your body has to be able to withstand these forces over the course of anywhere from two to five hours in a single stint, depending on the series you're running.

You HAVE to be in shape to race competitively. Its no accident that IndyCar, F1, and Sports Car drivers have the same level of fitness as olympic athletes. Its a requirement.

Here's a great rundown on some of the physical requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOwPOY-nFmw
>>
>>63616710
doesn't it also get hot has fuck and you sweat a ton?
>>
>>63609624

It might be a sport, it might not be a sport but I do know ITS FUCKING BORING AS HELL! YAWN!
>>
>>63616757
Yeah, cockpits can get above 130, and then factor in the thick firesuit the driver is wearing, and it's not like these cars have ac
>>
>>63616846
and I'm sure there are weight requirements for drivers because you want the car light as legally possible right?

sounds like you need the stamina and discipline of boxing
>>
File: USACRA-1-Allen.jpg (180 KB, 470x280) Image search: [Google]
USACRA-1-Allen.jpg
180 KB, 470x280
>>63616957
It depends on what form of racing you're doing. You'll see big fat guys running street stocks at the local short track, but the speeds are lower, the G's aren't as intense and don't change as suddenly or drastically.

Meanwhile you have guys running sprint cars who are built like MMA fighters because they basically spend an entire race fighting the car without power steering and steering with the brake and throttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWwNVrV_pTo
>>
>>63616957
I think it's usually a minimum weight that's made up of the driver + weights to add the difference. And drivers lose quite a bit of weight during the races too
http://beyondtheflag.com/2015/07/29/nascar-driver-loses-ridiculous-amount-of-weight-during-race/
>>
Yes. It's an unscripted competition.

Try competing in it without any prior experience and not dying.
>>
>>63609668

Fucking THIS.

The Chase is just an excuse to manufacture fake drama to try and increase ratings and punishes year-long consistency.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.