[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm hearing a lot of garbage from analysts and fans that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2
I'm hearing a lot of garbage from analysts and fans that the Spurs are the "team of the century" or some nonsense like that. I'm hear to straighten you all out. Here's some numbers from 1997-present, the first year Kobe and Duncan were both in the league:

>Championships
Lakers 5
Spurs 4.5

>Finals appearances
Lakers 7
Spurs 5.5

>Head to head playoff victories
Lakers 4
Spurs 3

So what argument do the Spurs have other than >regular season wins ?
>>
>half of a championship
nigger what are you smoking
>>
>>63537510
>>63537510
>So what argument do the Spurs have other than >regular season wins ?
Tim Duncan > Kobe
>>
>>63537510

Duncan > Kobe
>>
>>63538017
>>63538026
We're talking about teams here you clowns
>>
>>63538038

Duncan > Kobe
>>
>>63537510
It's not so much that Duncan > Bryant, although he is, but rather the Spurs didn't let Duncan destroy their franchise and send them into the current Lakers tailspin.
>>
>>63538061
So three crappy years erase all the championship he won?
>>
They never missed the playoffs for 16 years and have gotten 50 plus wins in all of em
>>
>>63538069

PROTIP: you don't credit Robin's with championships
>>
>>63538069
>So three crappy years erase all the championship he won?
Nope, but the damage done and the thirteen crappy years coming because the Clips have eclipsed the Lakers don't help.

Also consider the Spurs have been a team in serious contention every year since those two entered the league. The Lakers haven't.
>>
>>63538090
They've been a serious contender for longer....and yet still haven't won as much.
>>
>>63537510
Spurs have never missed the playoffs in the Duncan era. Lakers missed the playoffs once in Kobe's prime and are currently a lottery team while Spurs are still competing for a championship.
>>
>>63538076
So regular season wins is what we're measuring by?
>>
>>63537510
they have never had a bad season during that time. None.

>>63538069
that has nothing to do with what that anon said, dingus.

Also, Duncan doesn't need elite teammates to win Finals, nor does he run them out of town like he did with Shaq
>>
>>63538124
*like Kobe did with Shaq because Kobe was such a punk-ass bitch

also Shaq > Kobe
>>
>Kobr always saying 5 rings hahaha
>Duncan has 5 rings
>kobr says nothing anymore
>kobr cant' even stay on the court
>Duncan still holding the team up in the finals single handedly

Why does anyone care about the joke that is LA anymore?
>>
>>63538124
Duncan has played with better teammates, better coaching, and a more stable organization throughout the entirety of his career.
>>
>>63538136
LGTSS
>the city of the Lakers
>>
>>63538114
I'm hearing a lot of "regular season wins" and "playoff appearances" here
>>
>>63538141
so Gregg Popovich is a better coach than Phil Jackson?

trashman.jpg
>>
>>63538155
They're probably dead even, but Jackson wasn't Kobe's coach for his entire career.
>>
>>63538141
This is precisely the reason SA is a better franchise than LA.

>>63538155
That might be an interesting comparison. The one with the extraneous g is better in SA than the one whose initials are sleepwear was in LA. Throw in Chicago and sleepwear wins.
>>
>>63538141

Duncan has never played with a Shaq or Gasol, good teammates yes, but up until Kawhaii he has always been the best player on his teams

Stop comparing Kobe to Duncan, it makes you sound foolish, Duncan is a carry, Kobe is a support
>>
>>63538155
He is
>>
>>63538170
Early in his career, Duncan had David Robinson. Robinson was a freak, and the reason I started following the Spurs. Other than that, you have a pretty good point.
>>
>>63538167
They've had better talent, but haven't produced better results
>>
So niggas really bringing up Gasol to try to knock Kobe as if he was leading Memphis into deep playoff runs pre Lakers? Lol. Duncan was drafted to a great team that intentionally tanked for him with a HOF player in David Robinson (who in his prime is better than Duncan) and Duncan has always had GOAT Euro players and role players on his team... Statistically Duncan has been mediocre since 2008... Duncan is overrated and a product of the system, he never had to carry a shitty team like KG in Minnesota or drag a decent with no All Stars to win the Finals against legendary competition like Dirk
>>
discounting the fact that the 2002 series was tainted by literal refball
>>
>>63538218
I saw the mad coming a mile away there

Right now, at this moment, the Spurs are a better franchise and team than the Lakers. For the past decade, the Spurs have been a better franchise and team than the Lakers.

The Lakers have their past Finals wins to lean back on, but that's it. There are no valid arguments to support the assertion of the Lakers being better than the Spurs.

>>63538243
ah yes. forgot about that
>having to rely on refball to get into the Finals
>>
>>63538218
This. People claim Kobe is overrated but in hindsight he will become underrated and they'll start to overrate Duncan because of team success. Duncan stat wise is nothing special post 2005 and his post season success is overrated, never won a title back to back, had a 60+ win team that lost to a 8th seed, over 7 first round exits etc.
>>
>>63538267
>For the past decade, the Spurs have been a better franchise and team than the Lakers

Nigga did you not even read the OP
>>
>>63537510
>4.5
stopped reading right there
>>
>>63538141
>better teammates, better coachin
>phil jackson
>shaq,gasol,odom, young bynum,horry
>>
>>63538218
>Statistically Duncan has been mediocre since 2008

15 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists in 30 minutes a game. Compared to Kobe's 25/5/4 in 36 minutes a game, it ain't bad. Duncan also participates in this part of the game called "defense." Kobe just limps around winded.
>>
>>63538296
You ever walk 60 miles through subzero temperatures, carrying ~45 lbs, with no food or water, then survive out in the open for around 4 days? Even after walking down a road you didn't had washed out and flooded, and breaking through the ice into water up to your waist.

Tell me Mr. NotALittleBitch, what can you really do? Where would you really break? How resistant do you really think you are? There's a 9 out of ten chance you're a typical brat who would break down in self doubt and pity, desperate for someone to bail you out. Keep acting tough, I hope it's really there if you have to put it to the test.
>>
>>63538218
>HOF player in David Robinson (who in his prime is better than Duncan
NOPE
Robinson was a great teammate and great guy
but he was to nice and was essentially a statbabby
>>
File: kobe.jpg (11 KB, 160x224) Image search: [Google]
kobe.jpg
11 KB, 160x224
>>63538316
Truth hurts
>>
the NBA is literally rigged

it literally had a mobbed up ref

who literally admitted to rigging a game that won the Lakers a playoff game on their way to a championship

basically every title after 1990 is asterisked
>>
>>63538218
>Duncan is overrated and a product of the system, he never had to carry a shitty team like KG in Minnesota or drag a decent with no All Stars to win the Finals against legendary competition like Dirk

>>63538292
>People claim Kobe is overrated but in hindsight he will become underrated and they'll start to overrate Duncan because of team success.

This is precisely why San Antonio has a better basketball franchise than the Lakers.
>>
>>63538218
Dirks 2011 run has to be top 3 All Time, he turned mediocre to gold that year
>>
>>63538324
>Parker, Ginobili, Robinson, Leonard, Horry too, GOAT role players due to coaching system
>>
>of the century
>1997
Way to cherrypick stats there faggot
>>
>>63538364
Kobe and Duncan's first year. If you want to do 2000, fine. That only helps my case.
>>
>>63538334
you know if shaq had any self control during the lockout and not ballooned up you guys would have probably beaten the spurts and won the ship right?
imagine that shaq wasting a year of his prime and now kobe is wasting his years on a shit laker team while the spudoras have a top team and a decent future
>>
>>63538353
A better basketball franchise that produced slightly worse results
>>
>>63538363
your right i guess the spurs are the better franchise ;)
>>
>>63538408
Best run, not best results. Results are what matter.
>>
Lakers>Spurs for the decade

Duncan>Kobe for the generation
>>
>>63538387
>slightly worse results

>same number of championships
>no admitted refball rings
>no down years
>not fucked for the forseable future
>have as good a shot as anyone at getting another championship this year
>came up from being an also-ran, literally who ABA team to be damn competitive in the NBA

Spurs > Lakers
>>
>>63538434
they have equal results though
5 rings
>>
As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He’s probably top 10 in terms of accomplishments, but in terms of 5-7 year prime/peak span, I don’t think he was ever better than Ewing, Hakeem, or Robinson – all of whom I think were light years better than him. They all split All-NBA and All-Defensive selections during the primes of their respective careers.

I never really watched Ewing too closely, but Robinson was literally better than Duncan at everything. He was bigger, stronger, and faster. He was way quicker and had more offensive power. On defense, he was comparable to Wilt. Hakeem abused Ewing, Shaq, and Robinson in their primes. I don’t think I need to say anymore.

Even in his own generation, he was neck and neck with Garnett, yet we don't hear anyone placing KG top 10. I’m hesitant to compare him to Dirk since their games are different (and when you factor in the defense, I think you have to give the nod to Duncan). I just don’t want to place too much emphasis on team accomplishments when ranking players (although titles are important).
>>
>>63538493
Serious question: How many players have averaged a double-double for their 18-year career?
>>
>>63538481
1999 is about as legit as the '95 world series, if we're counting it as 5, the tie breaker would be finals appearances or head to head. Lakers have the advantage in both.
>>
>>63538493

>Ewing

opinion discarded, you have the audacity to say Duncan is one of the most overrated players? then you cite Ewing as better, oh the irony
>>
>>63538527
How can you so callously disregard the Lakers' current disarray? They suck now, and they'll suck for years to come. The Spurs don't.
>>
>>63538544
I've seen both play from the day they were drafted, the numbers are comlarable and Ewing definitely had a bigger impact on the defensive end, Ewing never had a team as talented as Duncan's worst title team or even the multiple teams that didn't win it all when they were getting bounced by the Lakers in the early 2000s.
>>
>>63538338
>rigging
yeah we know about the Kings-Lakers WCF. The fuck are you implying with this talk of asterisks?
>>
>>63538527
>1999 is about as legit as the '95 world series
what do you mean?
>>
>>63538547
The point of this is not to predict the future, it's to evaluate the past. The Lakers have had 3 very bad years, yes, but that doesn't take away from what they accomplished before that.
>>
>>63538564

>Ewing definitely had a bigger impact on the defensive end, Ewing never had a team as talented as Duncan's worst title team

lololol

xD

You don't know shit about basketball
>>
>>63538597
The accomplishments prior to those three years are about equal. The shit of those three years makes the lakers > spurs argument groundless.
>>
>>63538564
Don't feed the trolls
>>
>>63538493
>I never really watched Ewing too closely, but Robinson was literally better than Duncan at everything. He was bigger, stronger, and faster. He was way quicker and had more offensive power. On defense, he was comparable to Wilt.
yes robinson had the highlights and the stats and the athleticism
yet he was a statbabby that was soft to the core
duwhite is bigger stronger and faster than duncan, but that means shit when it comes to actually winning and being the best
>>
>>63538615
Ewing at his peak in 1990 put up 28ppg,11reb,4blk and 1stl a game that's nothing to sneeze at, AND if you think Ewing has ever played on a team as talented as the squads Duncan has been on then you're delusional
>>
>>63538136
>Duncan still holding the team up in the finals single handedly
I think that's wrong. I like Tim Duncan, in fact I think he's the backbone of Pop's system, but it's the rold players that made the spurs such a great team now. You eliminate them from the equation, the system breaks down.
Case in point: Carlisle's strategy in that 7 game series with the Spurs.
>>
Prime KG > Prime Duncan

If KG had 3 rings he would be the GOAT PF but Duncan had better teams other than the Celtics Big 3
>>
>>63538965
Hahahahaha
>>
>>63538734

Dumb, absolutely ignorant, tell me the one about how Ewing was a better defender, that's my favorite, it makes me lol xD the most
>>
>>63538991
Wait so now Ewings a scrub on defense in /sp/?? Ewing still has more career steals than Duncan and Duncan just recently surpassed him i think a season ago on Blocks.. Some of y'all go overboard with overrating players and underrating players you've never watched play
>>
>>63538991
So him posting stats and stating a fact that Ewing never played on teams as stacked as Duncan is considered "dumb and ignorant"? lmao
>>
>>63538965
If Malone had ONE ring he would be considered better than Duncan. He still is imo
>>
>>63538965
How delusional. Prime Duncan was a beast and better at almost everything than KG.
KG was only better at giving below the belt insults compared to Duncan.
>>
>>63539341
Moses Malone was a center and has a ship, Karl was a joke, so your comment makes no sense.
>>
lakers as a franchise is garbage. look at how hard they collapsed? they can't even field a decent enough squad to convince other superstars to come play for them.

payback for cheating kings out of trophy.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.