[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come the most successful clubs are ALMOST NEVER based in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: smug wojak.png (40 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
smug wojak.png
40 KB, 800x400
How come the most successful clubs are ALMOST NEVER based in the capital?

>Portugal - Porto
>England - Man. City
>Italy - Inter Milan
>Germany - Buyern
>Spain - Barcelona
>Russia - Zenit

Why is this the case? What explains this phenomenon?
>>
>Spain - Barcelona
>>
>>63329337
this is bait
in the case of germany this might apply but otherwise its completly shit
>>
>>63329337
I always thought it odd that Berlin doesn't have a relevant team, at least London/Lisbon/Rome have got teams who have been relevant in their own leagues
>>
>>63329408
*juve
>>
File: secondbestscottishmanagerever.jpg (10 KB, 314x265) Image search: [Google]
secondbestscottishmanagerever.jpg
10 KB, 314x265
>>63329337
Soccernomics dedicated a chapter to this. Basically the theory is that alot of "second cities" put alot of resources and pride into their teams as a way to showcase their cities.
>>
>>63329337
>City not United
>Inter
>not including Marseille or whoever is the goat in france
>you
>>
File: 0lBXFeW.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
0lBXFeW.png
108 KB, 400x381
>>63329337
>England: Man City
>>
>>63329408
Prove me wrong, idiot.

>might apply

Shut up. Dumbass.

>>63329515
PSG is currently the strongest team in France. But Marseille IS historically the strongest team in France. PSG is pathetic though, and they're only slightly relevant because of sand coon money.

In my opinion, Inter is the strongest Italian team at the moment. But again, historically, Juve is the most successful club.

>>63329426
Yeah, but then again, London based teams haven't been that successful either with the exception of Chelsea. Memes aside, Arsenal is a joke. Manchester is the city of football in England.
>>
>>63329559
no need to call me names f am
>>
>tfw no official capital
>>
>>63329337
benfica(lisbon) is a bigger and better than porto in every concievable way
real madrid is arguably the biggest club in the world
also:
ajax amsterdam
paris sg
anderlecht
shamrock rovers
celtic
dinamo zagreb
dynamo kiev
copenhagen
hjk helsinki
sparta prague

all based in the capital, the list goes on and on
poortugal is fucking retarded
>>
Footballing was traditionally associated with industrial towns like Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Munich, Dortmund, Turin, Milan, Rotterdam. For those working dull jobs in the weak, the culture of footballing on a Saturday was almost as ingrained as church on a Sunday.For those in the more administrative capitals with more comfortable tertiary jobs, it wasn't as important.

Now, football is all about where the money is - and naturally that's usually the capital. We've already seen a gradual shift towards in power back towards clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, PSG and Roma, often through massive third party investment. Some of the industrial clubs are lucky enough to have garnered reputation and investment so they've survived - others like Nottingham/Everton and most German/French clubs are doomed to forever live in the shadows of their former glory.

The example is Real Madrid because they were heavily invested in by the state as an instrument of fascist propaganda.
>>
In the UK, London has always been the cultural hub of the country. There are so many more high-brow activities available than simply watching a game of football.

In the dead end industrial towns that offer very little in the way of cultural activities, football and, in some towns rugby league was the only source of excitement. These clubs benefited from more passionate support, better finances, better crops of players coming through the ranks and ultimately became more successful because of it.
>>
>>63329559
You are a bit of a mong baka desu senpai
>>
File: smug and armed wojak.png (64 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
smug and armed wojak.png
64 KB, 640x400
>>63329613
Don't senpai me, home boy desu. I spent years on this. I've dedicated my life to this. This is who I am. I KNOW these things, alright?

>>63329621
>benfica is better than porto in every concievable way

Since 2000 Porto has won the league 9 times. Benfica has only won the league four times. Porto has won the CL and the EL since 2000. It IS the most successful club in Portugal. Benfica won the league more times, decades ago, because the regime helped the club.

>real madrid is arguably the biggest club in the world

Financially speaking? Kek at their achievements. What a blunder. Barcelona is superior, there is no denying this.

>goes on to list a bunch of irrelevant shit tier leagues like the Dutch league

Does anyone really care? Does anyone really care about these countries? Is there anything apart from the capital in those shitholes?
>>
>>63329643
this
>>
>>63329643
>>63329649
Pretty good analysis. Gary Neville wrote an article recently that said the power if shifting to clubs in the Greater London area because that's where players want to live.

He was afraid of the Premier League of the future being nothing but clubs around London and two Manchester teams.
>>
>>63329691
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11891430/The-north-is-being-cut-adrift-in-English-football-and-I-fear-the-damage-may-be-permanent.html
>>
Cheeky reminder that prior to Abramovich.

Huddersfield Town had three times as many first division titles as Chelsea.
>>
>>63329676
when it comes down to turnover and fanbase, real madrid is second only to manchester united. Real is a bigger and better club than barcelona in every way at the moment

I can say the same thing about benfica, bigger fanbase, more trophies and financially stronger than porto

Just because you dont care about shitty countries doesnt mean they dont exist, they make up the biggest part of the world and disprove your retarded 'theory'

Now go get a job or something
>>
>>63329781
>when it comes down to turnover and fanbase

Irrelevant when we're discussing great clubs. Money doesn't make a great club. Look at PSG.

Real is NOT a bigger or better club than Barcelona in ANY way. Who's the champion at the moment, loser?

>I can say the same thing about benfica

You can, but then you'd just out yourself as a moron. Do you really want to do that?

>doesnt mean they dont exist

It sure feels like it.
>>
>>63329621
>celtic

Glasgow isn't the capital of Scotland m8.
>>
>>63329676
>Implying someone cares about portugal league
>>
>>63329999
Waste of quads. It's only one of the most important leagues in the world.
>>
>>63329999

Those quads
>>
>>63329706
All those angry northerners in the comments.
lel

LEL
>>
>>63330025
Maybe for producing South American talent in Europe, but that's about it.
>>
>what is Real Madrid

>what are Chelsea city and Arsenal city

> Berlin doesn't count bc it wasn't the capital until 1991

> Roma is a big guy in Serie A

c'mon man
>>
>>63330140
>chelsea city and arsenal city

have i been rused
>>
Epic b8 figo
>>
The interesting thing about London is that its always had a decent football culture, its just been fairly detached from that of the rest of the country. Most countries have one or two teams from their capital, both of them proudly bearing the city's name. London has none of those, there is no 'Team London'.
>>
People in the capital generally have more important things to worry about compared to watching sports.
>>
>Man city

Right city wrong club.

Worth adding to it though:

Scotland - Celtic (Glasgow, not the capital of Edinburgh)
Wales - Swansea
>>
>>63330340

Thats because London itself operates more like a region/country than it does a city. Each borough operates with a great deal of devolved power and culture (especially since each is so ethnically diverse). Too right seeing as its a collection of towns and settlements that just sorta merged together.
>>
>>63329676
>says Paris is the best club right now but Marseille historically is better

>Barcelona is the best club right now but Madrid is historically better

durrrr durrr DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>63330490
Glasgow used to be the biggest city in Scotland by a country mile. I know its not the capital and never was, but it was almost London tier at one point. Then the trade left and the city rotted and its the shite place it is now.
>>
For English football, when it first became professional most Southern teams wanted it to stay amateur, because they had nice jobs and saw it as a hobby that would be cheapened by money. Northerners, however, all worked down t'pit and wanted to be able to get a better job kicking a ball for a living. If you look at the first few seasons of the Football League (starting in 1888), there are NO Southern teams because they were all still amateur.

I don't know what happened in other countries, but it could well have been the same there, that teams in the capital didn't turn professional until later on.
>>
>>63330538
Only because of the regime, dumb Ameribuck.
>>
>>63330525
But thats true for Paris as well, and they just have PSG.
>>
>>63330552
Nice meme, orange picker

What about UEFA and FIFA blatantly fixing matches for Barcelona?
>>
>>63330577
Proof?
>>
>>63330560
>No Team Paris
>Paris Saint-Germain
>Fucking Paris
>St-Germain
Anderlecht would have been a better example.
>>
>>63330560
>>63330617
Oh shit nigga never mind. I thought you were replying to a different post.
>>
>>63329666
Devil trips, abort abort
>>
>>63330547
>For English football, when it first became professional most Southern teams wanted it to stay amateur, because they had nice jobs and saw it as a hobby that would be cheapened by money. Northerners, however, all worked down t'pit and wanted to be able to get a better job kicking a ball for a living. If you look at the first few seasons of the Football League (starting in 1888), there are NO Southern teams because they were all still amateur.

At least there was no split like what happened in the rugby.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.