[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would need to happen for baseball to be #1 again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10
File: 6MWvwWI.gif (2 MB, 640x322) Image search: [Google]
6MWvwWI.gif
2 MB, 640x322
Rule changes to speed up the game? A shortened season so individual games matter more/are more relevant to national audiences? Better marketing of superstar players?
>>
File: alizee dance.gif (1 MB, 166x239) Image search: [Google]
alizee dance.gif
1 MB, 166x239
>>65195679

Or would more concussions in football do it?
>>
>>65195679
15 second countdown between pitches. failure to do so is a ball.

batters cannot leave the batters box once the at bat starts or call time outs.

catcher can only visit pitcher once per inning for 30 seconds.

coach/manager can only visit pitcher once per inning for 60 seconds each.

games only on thurs, fri, sat, sun. no more wondering if your team is playing on some random tuesday or wednesday.

if that schedule means fewer games, so be it.

no more interleague play.

it will never be #1 again. its too slow and the season is too long and its boring on tv and those are terminal issues.

honestly nfl is the only league with the right model for today. once a week, and every game is meaningful because the season is so short. nba, nhl, mlb should all cut their seasons in half.
>>
>>65196021
>coach/manager can only visit pitcher once per inning for 60 seconds each.
make that once per game, per pitcher
>>
>>65196021
Stupid
Stupid
Unnecessary
Unnecessary
Stupid
Sure
Stupid
>>
You can't shorten the season. All 162 games matter. The postseason picture often comes down to the final regular season games.
>>
>>65195679
Legalize roids
>>
>>65196054
if there were 80 games, it would still be the case.
>>
>>65196037
stupid and unnecessary if you enjoy 3-4 hour games, yeah
>>
Not be boring.
>>
>>65196071
Coach and catcher visits do not extend games significantly at all

You clearly don't watch baseball often
>>
you need fix everything, add man drama and just turn a blind eye to roids. so like football.
>>
>>65196103
that rule would be necessary or mound visits would be abused to rest the pitcher since he's be speed pitching.

obviously you havent thought about this very much.
>>
>>65196125
>or mound visits would be abused to rest the pitcher since he'd be speed pitching

Because the current rules are just circumvented by constant mound visits

Again, you don't actually watch baseball that much, if it all

15 seconds in between pitches is fucking stupid. You have no clue what you're talking about. Explains why you buy into that stupid purist bullshit too
>>
>>65196021
gay af, kys
>>
>>65196160
gaurantee ive watched more baseball in my life than you

its fun countering unprovable assertions with unprovable assertions.

stay archaic, lad.
>>
>>65196160
what are you talking about. mound visits are abused to give the bullpen warmup time all the time. adds minutes to the game.
>>
>>65196205
Clearly not, otherwise you wouldn't be making such laughable claims

>stay archaic

>HURRRR NO INTERLEAGUE

You're such a casual, get away from me

>>65196228
Thanks, captain, that doesn't mean it extends games significantly, at all
>>
>>65195679
m8 baseball just sucks. whoever is a fan will continue to be a fan but nobody new is going to suddenly start watching
>>
>>65196062
this is really it huh
>>
Compulsory use of adderall to every American.
>>
>>65195679
Let black people play
>>
>>65195679
The game itself doesn't really need to change at all.

maybe add the DH to the NL and make the strike box smaller to inject some offense into the game.

What the MLB really needs to do is get it's fucking marketing and business together.

they charge way too much for games, they don't allow any gifs or brief game clips on social media, they have no concept of relating to the younger generation.

the biggest issue is price, they need to lower ticket prices. there are 81 regular season home games, good seat tickets should not be anywhere near NBA or NFL prices

The NFL will be dethroned in the next 30 years. It's hit it's peak. the concussion issue is not going away and little league football numbers are dropping faster than Goodell's approval rating. MLB has a chance to be #1 again in the future, but they will probably fuck it up as always.
>>
deport the mexicans and niggers
>>
>>65195679
Trump becomes president, executes the cucks and sends the blacks back to Africa
>>
File: achy actually.jpg (123 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
achy actually.jpg
123 KB, 700x700
protip: The single biggest reason that baseball isn't as big as it used to be is that every team put a vast majority of their games on premium cable.

This means that it's less likely that as many people will get emotionally invested in the team.

In the old days, some people became baseball fans because it was something you could easily follow
>>
File: cash money toilet.jpg (69 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
cash money toilet.jpg
69 KB, 630x354
>>65197992
and its less likely that the team makes for good water cooler talk, other than playoff time...in the market where the team plays.

speaking of the playoffs, now we've entered an era in which all playoff games but the world series are on premium cable.

baseball will never coming back.
>>
Shorten the number of innings and the number of regular season games.
>>
>>65195679

>Multiball
>One player on offense gets to try to catch the ball, if he does, the defenders must chase him down and tackle him to gain possession
>Fist fights decides whether someone is safe or not
>>
>>65197992
>The Dodgers Network
>>
>>65198077
http://youtu.be/EpwbvFvn9W0
>>
>>65195679
100-game season
6-inning games
no extra-inning games - just ties
restore all geographic rivalries and forge new ones
>>
>>65195679
No series in the playoffs.

Seriously, only single game deciders are best at attracting casuals. Think NFL, and FIFA
>>
The reason baseball has dropped in popularity is because MLB does not have a great deal with ESPN. Same with the NHL.

You cucks just watch whatever uncle skip and stephen tell you to watch, dont you?
>>
File: 1452816824089.png (136 KB, 534x629) Image search: [Google]
1452816824089.png
136 KB, 534x629
>>65197992

This is all true, combined with stupid blackout rules. I'm a lifelong Cards fan who moved to the wrong side of the Kansas border after college. Foxsports Midwest only shows the godawful Royals here, and MLB TV streaming service has blacked out the Cards in my area because of that stupid Fox conflict or something. Would pay them to stream the games and they still won't allow it. That's some horseshit right there.

The only time I can see the games is when it's on ESPN (which I hate) and MLB Network (which is good but only on about once a week). It's nice when we play the Cubs cause WGN usually picks up those games. MLB's broadcast restriction are a pain in the ass.
>>
ESPN needs to stop airing Yankees/Red Sox games. Baseball is slow, yes, but the Yankees and Sox are the worst offenders in that regard, and the shitty broadcasters don't help either.
>>
>>65195679
>we want the nigger audience

Baseball is the #1 comfy sport, they should focus on that.
>>
>>65196171
>webm doesn't end with 9-11
Dropped as fuck.
>>
>>65199483
>The reason baseball has been perceived to have a drop in popularity is because MLB does not have a great deal with ESPN. Same with the NHL.
fixed

MLB has excellent local ratings and the NHL was never this popular when it was on ESPN, neither league has that many black people though so ESPN goes out of their way to ignore it except in the summer when ESPN has no choice but to cover baseball
>>
>>65195679
Nothing
The steroid controversial decline era is over
Baseball is back on the rise both nationally and internationally

Plus concussion research has hurt the NFL , less kids are playing football more are playing other sports .

That weplayfootball campaign NFL has going on is also failing. Soccer moms aren't that stupid to allow their kids to make less for more injuries
>>
>>65196062
I seconded this
>>
>>65196554
>they charge way too much for games, they don't allow any gifs or brief game clips on social media, they have no concept of relating to the younger generation.
How poor are you? And also false
A teenager made clips of MLB highlights on YouTube , he was contacted by the MLB and gained access to their entire video library
Games nearly 100 years ago at his fingertips
His channel also became an official MLB channel

They're the most lenient sport league in the US over clips and stuff.
>>
Don't forget the strike-cancelled season back in the 90's that ruined a whole season. That pissed off literally everyone and baseball never fully recovered.
>>
>>65195679
Play less games plain and simple. The reason that the NFL is so popular is because there is only one game a week for each team, so there is more preparation and intensity for each game. Also, if a team in baseball is doing shitty around the all star break, and it looks like the season is over, there is no point in continuing to watch if the games become meaningless.
>>
>>65200341
>ESPN needs to stop airing Yankees/Red Sox games

Those are probably the two biggest fanbases tbf, and that rivalry was GOAT from 1996 to 2013.

>2000: Yankees' 3peat
>2001: Yankees' 4 straight AL titles
>2002: Yankees steal Contreras literally hours after he was talking and drinking with Red Sox execs, birth of the Evil Empire
>2003: Pedro Martinez chimps out and beats the shit out of an old Yankees coach
>2003: Aaron fucking Boone
>2004: The biggest choke in sports history, Boston breaks the curse
>2005: Yankees win the American League again
>2008: Another Boston title
>2009: Yankees win the American League for the 41st time
>2009: Yankees win their 27th WS
>2013: Boston wins another title

And it was all so fucking toxic the whole time, so much hatred between the greatest sports team in America and the trashy Irish Massholes . I loved it, wish it would come back soon desu
>>
>>65200629
>constant record breaking playoff viewers
>games are being watched more than ever excluding the Dodgers now
>still the most popular American sporting league outside of the states
>merchandise higher than ever
>never recovered
>>
>>65200664
*>2003: Yankees win the American League again

Got the years mixed up for a second there, the Yankees have just won the American League so many times
>>
File: Pepe No (3).jpg (75 KB, 960x767) Image search: [Google]
Pepe No (3).jpg
75 KB, 960x767
>>65196554
I'll lel if my little soccer manages to use this chance and becomes 1#
>>
File: cutler.jpg (214 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
cutler.jpg
214 KB, 2000x1333
>>65195706
>tfw early 2000s Alizee is gone forever
>>
82 game season
Tie declared after 10th inning
>>
>>65200665
>still the most popular American sporting league outside of the states
Whaaaaaaaa....?
>>
probably add a salary cap. don't care that the mlb has more parity than any other major sport in the usa. it's a problem that large markets can go around poaching players like they do
>>
Make it so steroids are mandatory
>>
>>65200665
>>still the most popular American sporting league outside of the states

That's been the NBA for about a decade now. The NBA's Chinese market alone is bigger than all the MLB's overseas market combined.
>>
the problem with baseball is that most outs are perceived as routine and boring. And there are 54 outs to be made every game. Even if there is offense, you're still going to have the game diluted by those 54 outs. The only time outs are exciting is when the game is on the line in the final inning.

MY SOLUTION: shorten the game, 7 innings. makes each out matter more, makes the game more intense, more interesting.
>>
>>65199765
You could get a VPN
>>
>>65200664
Bit of a large gap in the late 10s' They're more rivalry than those two teams
>>
>>65200939
How much do they normally cost and how reliable are they
>>
>>65195679
One pitch in a hundred uses an exploding ball. Biggest sport on the world right there.
>>
the whole speeding up the game concept is misguided

the NFL games are 3 hours and they keep adding more ads and making them longer yet it is more popular than ever

i guess what they really need is more young black people to coon and smile for the white man like cam newton
>>
>>65199765
I'd much rather watch the Royals than watch the fucking Cardinals.
>>
>>65195679
Using cricket inning schemes
>>
>>65205070

>found the bandwagoner

You never watched them before 2014.
>>
more commercials. NFL is so big because of all the ad revenue it rakes in, and your typical dudebro sports fan has no attention span and needs a break every 2-5 minutes
>>
>>65195679
Switch to metal bats. 600 foot home runs and a few dead pitchers would really increase interest.
>>
lower the mound
>>
>>65200664
>2003: Pedro Martinez chimps out and beats the shit out of an old Yankees coach

it was self defense
>>
>>65205950

kek

I don't like Pedro or either team, but it's damn hilarious to see Pedro grab Zimmer by his melon head and chuck him to the ground every time you see it.
>>
>>65196021
>15 second countdown between pitches
No. No. No. No. And no. Do you know how hard it is to throw 80+ pitches at 85+ miles per hour. You're sacrificing quality pitches for the sake of game length. Once a pitcher starts getting tired they will start throwing meatballs, giving the batting team more opportunities to hit the ball and stay on offense. This in turn will make the game longer
>Batters cannot leave the batters box once the at bat starts or call time outs.
This will save time, but it will probably save like 3 or 4 minutes on average. That's not very much.
>Cather can only visit pitcher once per inning for 30 seconds
In close games this is detrimental for the team on defense. A catcher and a pitcher need to be on the same page, and limiting them will give a big advantage to the offensive team.
>Coach/manager can only visit once per inning for 60 seconds each
They already can only visit once per inning. If they come up a second time in the inning, it's an automatic pitching change.
>Games only on thurs, fri, sat, sun
No
>if that means fewer games, so be it
Have you ever watched a full season before? 162 games is perfect. The teams that are good before the ASG aren't always good afterwards. 162 games separates the pretenders from the contenders
>It's too slow
The average baseball game is shorter than the average Football game, and the ball is play about 5 minutes more on average than in Football. Football is terribly boring if you aren't invested in the team.
>>
File: 1444028615614.png (237 KB, 780x838) Image search: [Google]
1444028615614.png
237 KB, 780x838
>>65197992
>baseball is something you can't easily follow
>i have alerts from both espn and at bat for scoring plays
>as well as live radio broadcasted
haha what

>>65205645
yeah i mean who wouldn't want to watch the team with the best fans in baseball
the cardinals way, right?
go back to your riot town and terrible university
>>
>>65195679
Playoffs in two match series with aggregate scoring and away run rule
>>
>>65200664
>2001 Yankees lose 9/11 giftwrapped WS to D'Backs.

Best day of my life. Fuck NY.
>>
>>65196554
>the biggest issue is price, they need to lower ticket prices.

how poor are you?
My team offers weird promos like college nights, $5 monday nights, etc.
I ususally snag lower bowl seats for $20 during weekdays on stubhub
Also, getting sideline seats to a game doesn't ususally surpass $100 if you buy in advance.
>>
>>65200692
>HR derby after the 10th to decide winner.

FTFY
>>
The real thing that destroyed baseballs popularity when you study it is the steroid scandles, after that the NFL filled the void.
But the NFL could easily go down because of all the brain damaged concussion stuff.

Also baseball has more global appeal while the NFL is stuck in america only.
Baseball has footholds in asia and south america.
Another thing that never gets mentioned is that baseball players are the highest paid pro athletes in america, greedy niggers who think baseball is boring should learn this.
>>
>>65199765

The blackcock is absurd. I'm in 3 teams blackcock range, the reds, cubs, and sox (im in southern indiana) It would take me 5-6 hours to drive to a sox game, my favorite team, yet I can't see them on tv or mlb.tv. Luckily I don't get blackcocked on Cardinals games, my NL team.

But I miss:
Cards vs Reds (always a chimpout ready to happen)
Cards and Cubs
and worst of all Sox vs Cubs.

i have to resort to half-assed streaming sites.
>>
>>65207049
the surface pro autocorrect is strong in this one
>>
>>65196062
>>
>>65195679

>Aluminum bats
>40 feet between pitchers mound and home plate
>65 feet between bases
>300 foot center field fence, 270 on the sides.
>Tied games settled by sudden-death home run derby.
>30 second pitch clock. Ball for violating.
>First to 15 runs automatically wins.
>Clean tackles allowed to dislodge ball from fielder's gloves.
>Fights more permissible.
>Legalize roids
>50 game season from June 1st to July 31st with World Series in August
>6 or 7 innings
>>
>>65198016
TBS and FS1 are not premium cable. They're basic cable.
>>
File: 1451214307302s.jpg (8 KB, 250x243) Image search: [Google]
1451214307302s.jpg
8 KB, 250x243
>>65207158

mine broke like the patriots

the mlb blackout is a metaphorical blackcock
>it'll you in the ass any chance it gets
>and the jews are behind it
>>
aluminum bats.

you're welcome
>>
more bench clearing brawls and allow steroids
>>
Make the AL and NL have the exact same rules. It doesn't matter which one has to change, but one of them has to. Make it the same game in one league, with one set of MVPs, cy youngs, etc. Do that, and you're at the starting line to actually change the game in a way that matters.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFQkQ6Va3A

Chris Rock hit the nail on the head, desu senpai
>>
>>65196301
best post
>>
>>65196062
Someone fucking gets it.

Fuck pitchers, raise dingers.
>>
>>65206562
>toil in minor leagues
>no full ride baseball scholarships to college

Those are the reason why negroes don't play baseball.
>>
When it comes to baseball you can safely assume your team is playing that day and be right.

Also they only travel on Mondays and Thursdays. Good luck remembering Hockey or Basketball schedules.
>>
Baseball games already got a lot quicker last year over 2014.
>>
more double headers

keep 162 games but contact the calendar, increase the roster if more pitchers are needed
>>
>>65213490
>contact

contract*
>>
>>65196021
>games only on thurs, fri, sat, sun

This. Makes the season exactly 100 games, and each series feels like more of an event.
>>
How about change nothing and like it, stupid adhd faggots
>>
>>65213725

underrated post

Anyone suggesting the NL should adopt the DH rule should be throat-punched.
>>
Salary Cap.

Ban multiple or corporate ownership.

Both help fans of teams from suffering through years and years of mediocrity.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.