[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eternal Man City thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 20
File: Juve City.png (46 KB, 377x287) Image search: [Google]
Juve City.png
46 KB, 377x287
I feel fucking rotten that the Man City I grew up with isn't the Man City I know today.

My dad took me to Maine Road as a child and we stood together in the Kippax when it was still all-standing, The atmosphere was always electric.Kids at primary school used to rip the shit out of me because United (the popular Manc team) were unstoppable with Cantona, Hughes, Giggs, Kanchelskis, Schemichael etc) and City were the poor excuse for a team. But I was a proud City fan. My dad supports City so I support City. Laugh at me all you want but I've chose this team and will stick with them 'til I die.

Times changed and the Kippax went all-seater but even when we went to the third tier, we still pulled in the best part of 30,000 for every home game. I went to Wembley when we beat Gillingham in one of the most insane matches I've ever seen and even though it was a fucking awful squad, those players gave their all that day and dancing around to Status Quo's "Rocking All Over The World" with all the other City fans who made the journey to watch us scrape out into the second tier was something very few could understand.

Seasons went by and we went through Royle, Keegan and Eriksson - with world player of the year (a decade earlier), George Weah, way past it midfield supremo Steve McManaman and crocked to shit goal machine Robbie Fowler passing through. Not to mention our legendary goalkeepers in Seaman and Schmeichel. We even had genuine talents accidentally pop in like Benarbia and Elano as well as Van Buyten who actually told the fans on arrival that he was looking for a bigger club.

We even ducked out of the Premiership for a season just so we could smash the Championship for teh lulz.

Typical City we called ourselves.

Typical City they called us.

But they respected us. They didn't have to like us and in truth, we didn't need them to. We didn't care. We weren't callous like Millwall or Chelsea fans, we were just the boys in Manchester who didn't support United.
>>
Though we were a minority in our home city, the city we grew up in, we revelled in the fact that United had more fans in London than in Manchester. That United was more a BSKYB/McDonalds-esque franchise than a real football club. We took pride in supporting a team that was truly, deeply and sentimentally Mancunian.

Then it changed and the Arabs came in. The club changed almost immediately. Eastlands became saturated by people who didn't know any of the songs. Robinho was strutting around behaving as though that sole free kick on his debut against Chelsea gave him the right to be a fucking slug for the rest of the season. I gave up my season ticket that May after we lost 1-0 to Everton.

Man City used to have fans that innovated shit like bringing inflatable bananas to the game as a tribute to the literally who that was Imre Varadi. But the very next season after I left, "we" *adopted* the *Poznan* (something that dozens of clubs had been doing on the continent for decades).

I wasn't there when Agueroooooooooooo happened. I was in a bar in Eastern Europe but I went fucking mental. Like literally running around the place with my shirt off screaming, flipping chairs and tables, shaking absolute strangers, falling flat on my face and bawling my eyes out. All while completely and utterly stone cold sober. Though I had reservations about what was happening to my club, this wasn't about that. This was my final blast of feeling like a child because the Man City I loved more than life itself as a child winning THE title was something I would have literally given my life for.
>>
A year later, when City beat Bayern Munich away in the Champions League, I though that was pretty incredible but the last remnants of my City fan innocence died when there were so many "fans" complaining on how we should have topped the group. Given the fortunes and history of the club, it is miraculous that we were even in the Champions League to begin with, let alone escaping the group but that's what happens when bangwagoners become the vocal majority.

"We" won the title that season but it meant shit all to me.

In the autumn this year, I was dragged to the West Ham home game . The Etihad™ Arena was half empty and many in attendance were middle class day trippers, tourists and garden variety glory hunters. When I was following chants from the sparsely populated "North Stand", I was the only one singing in the entire block and could actually hear people muttering "Isn't he annoying?"
If asked would I rather the Arabs packed up and City got relegated, my answer would be an Unequivocal yes. At this point, I genuinely don't have a football team to support and I have no other options because the only team I can support is the one I promised myself to the moment my Dad taught me to talk. Until the Arabs and the hordes of bandwagonners and glory hunters fuck off, that team doesn't exist.
>>
>Etihad city
Lmao t b h pham
>>
Anyways bandwagoners, rant over.

Here's your fucking eternal thread for the day.

I hope you enjoy it as much as you've enjoyed taking everything that ever fucking meant anything to me as far as my childhood passion is concerned.

You fucking gutless, fickle, disloyal, charlatan piles of fucking shit.
>>
File: DickovGills.jpg (117 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
DickovGills.jpg
117 KB, 800x450
cool blog post, would read again
>>
Neat entry dude
>>
>>63785924

That's just cruel man

>>63785975

Had nowhere else to put it fella...
>>
sorry bro what a shame....

just follow the Western Sydney Wanderers from now on. 4 yr old team that won the Asian Champions League in its first season in the competition.
>>
File: messiblows.jpg (52 KB, 461x482) Image search: [Google]
messiblows.jpg
52 KB, 461x482
>>63785820
>When I was following chants from the sparsely populated "North Stand", I was the only one singing in the entire block and could actually hear people muttering "Isn't he annoying?"

lmao baka senpai
>>
is there a city equivalent of fc united?
>>
File: 8428[1].jpg_v=1409224179.jpg (165 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
8428[1].jpg_v=1409224179.jpg
165 KB, 640x400
>>63786049
there's Maine Road FC but they're incredibly shit
>>
>>63786014

Thanks but I have no connection to the club.

I mean today, I saw a ten dollar bill and learned about about AB "Banjo" Paterson and that poem about the Man from Snowy Mountain who bravely rode through sick mountains to chase a thoroughbred that got caught up with the brisbies (?)/ wild horses. I also learned that the dude on the reverse side is actually some woman.

The long arse poem is actually written on your notes as a security device.

Nevertheless, my knowing that is too tenuous a link and I wouldn't insult a club like that.

>>63786049

There's Maine Road FC but it still wouldn't be "my" club. Besides, the FCUM are still full on United Fans hence the distinct lack of anti-Glazier protest for the past five years or so.
>>
>>63785803
Don't worry , one big loss like on Saturday and the bandwagoners go away.
The dutchfag hasn't posted since for example.
>>
>>63786099
>Besides, the FCUM are still full on United Fans hence the distinct lack of anti-Glazier protest for the past five years or so.
>you now remember the anti-TV banners they were displaying when they got dicked by Chesterfield
>>
>>63786136

It doesn't work like that. I thought we'd shed a few of them when Ferguscum regained the title but they all came flooding back. All >we have to do is smash Hull City at home in a couple of weeks time and it starts again. Nothing but relegation will do.

As a side note, what are your thoughts on Atromitos? If I were ever to move to Greece (likely never) then I might have a soft spot for them. Only because they were really cool guys when I saw them against Sarajevo.

>>63786148

I was actually on a public bus with them when they were playing Stalybridge Celtic and they were singing "It's never your fault" even though, to my knowledge, they've never played Liverpool.

What's with them?

Not to mention their really scary black-bloc antics...
>>
>>63785803

>Typical City we called ourselves.
>Typical City they called us.
>But they respected us.

Everton fan here. Can confirm.

They were Manc twats and all that obviously but fuck if I see another team go down to the third level and keep so many fans.

I'd hate if that happened to my club but thankfully our neighbours are the perpetual meme team of Liverpool.
>>
>the city of manchester

Does anybody have that copypasta of how great and non-mercenarial players are?
>>
Dutch City bandwagoner absolutely BTFO, hope he finally gets why he's such a rat when he reads this. He should be ashamed of himself.
>>
>>63785803
>>63785812
>>63785820

This a copypasta?
>>
>>63786603

This is the debut I think but it ought to be.

That it cuts across four pages might be an issue though.
>>
File: 1407864645505.jpg (178 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
1407864645505.jpg
178 KB, 500x447
>for teh lulz

You are a paedophile, you are a nonce, you're a perv, you're a slot badger, you're a two pin din plug, you're a bush dodger, you're a small bean regarder, you're an unabummer, you're a nut administrator, you're a bent ref, you're the crazy world of Arthur Brown, you're a fence foal, you're a free willy, you're a chimney bottler, you're a bunty man, you're a shrub rocketeer
>>
>>63786676
Ah man, that was a well-written albeit sad read on your reflections of disillusionment and alienation.

My condolences. Indded, you could probably relate to the Boers in a similar context.
>>
>>63786676
>>63786704

Oh wait, sorry, didn't read it right; I got the mistaken impression that you wrote it. my bad.
>>
>>63786714

It's OK. You missed out the fourth part;-

>>63785856

I've been up since yesterday after doing three twelve hour shifts on the trot. Hence my getting a bit emotional and up myself. Today's my day off.

AMA while I'm still awake.

(I'm OP btw)
>>
>>63786714

Meant to say it's OK. We all make mistakes.

Also meant to ask, who the fuck are the Boers? Do you mean the Saffa farmers?
>>
>>63786603
I know for sure I've read the last post before
>>
>>63786764
I meant the Boers who felt/feel their homeland was ripped from under of their feet and who have been raised in a country that now no longer wants them even though they occupied it for hundreds of years. There are millions of other examples aside from the Boers but I guess a more obscure one would be the Indian-Fijians.
>>
>>63786790

You read a version of it that went towards OP,2,3 and 5.

It's not the first time I've expressed disdain for the >city of manchester, it's just the first time I've put my thoughts together.
>>
>>63786807

Ah, a tenuous, convoluted analogy but I see where you're coming from and appreciate the sentiment.

Here's a reward for your troubles. The Jamie Pollock own goal against QPR that sent us to the third tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNjWfIHXL4

QPR fans voted him second most influential player of the century after Stan Bowles.
>>
>>63786829
>After his short-lived spell as a football manager, he is now concentrating on his personal training company and is also co-owner of a glass and glazing company based in Middlesbrough near the Transporter Bridge called Polton Glass.

it's an honorable British profession, at least.
>>
>>63786829

That was equally the goal keepers fault as well
>>
>>63786811
Grow the fuck up you selfish manchilde. City are a global team now. You can't stop people from outside your little area from supporting them. If anything, UAE folk have more of a right to support Man City than mancunians do.
>>
File: Jamie Pollack.jpg (46 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Jamie Pollack.jpg
46 KB, 640x426
>>63786839

Well yes.

Also, have you seen how fat he is these days?

I knew that my saving this picture would come in handy one day.

>>63786844

I don't see how. Did he have the time to shout it after that sublime flick?
>>
didn't read lol
>>
>>63786854

I know I've seen this before.

Which Irish team do you support?
>>
>>63786863

yet you took the time to post
>>
>>63786858
Should have been paying attention. It's a two way street, chappy.
>>
>>63786881

m8, I doubt that even luminaries such as Bosnich or Schwarzer could have caught that gem.
>>
>>63786603

A Pasta Is Born
>>
OP if i do understand you, you've abandoned the club you pledged to support until death because other people like them, right?

Sucks to be you, to be perfectly and completely honest
>>
>>63786937

Rather it sucks to be you because you can't fucking read.

The club I pledged myself to no longer exists.
>>
File: cardiff city championship win.jpg (98 KB, 634x421) Image search: [Google]
cardiff city championship win.jpg
98 KB, 634x421
>>63785812

>I wasn't there when Agueroooooooooooo happened. I was in a bar in Eastern Europe but I went fucking mental. Like literally running around the place with my shirt off screaming, flipping chairs and tables, shaking absolute strangers, falling flat on my face and bawling my eyes out. All while completely and utterly stone cold sober. Though I had reservations about what was happening to my club, this wasn't about that. This was my final blast of feeling like a child because the Man City I loved more than life itself as a child winning THE title was something I would have literally given my life for.

I know the feeling. It still makes me angry that Cardiff finally did the thing I'd waited my whole life as a fan to see, but they did it in a kit and crest that I'll never associate with the club. Like City, there's every chance they'd never have achieved what they did without that investment, and I celebrated in the moment like I never have before, but it'll always be tainted because of the unnecessary changes. If we win the Championship again in the next few years, it won't be as special as the first time and the first time wasn't as special as it should have been.
>>
>>63786976

TFB

Cardiff are the Bluebirds. Always have been, always will be in my eyes.
>>
>>63785803
Citeh fans were well respected throughout the country as a proper team with great fans.
Their colossus rise to become a top 4 side through a chairman tha is bored with life and uses money as a toy has had repercussions on how people portray citeh nowadays.

Genuine question for those that don't support a big club. would you you rather a citeh esque chairman bought your club and spent hundreds of millions to occasionally win the league or would you blood the youth, have a passionate fan base in a good old ground and over achieving now and again while living through the hardships of some terrible football.
i know what i'd choose. to be a shitty little club in the 3rd or 2nd tier but pissing on the big clubs in the cup, while people from your area are making that happen.
>>
OP is mainly right.
City were ripped the shit out of in Manchester for years leading up to 2008, I now see city shirts/clothing items EVERYWHERE on people i KNOW wouldn't of been wearing them pre 2008. they weren't a successful club but their fans were decent back then now all you see is plastics literally know several people who went from Chelsea/Liverpool/United to city when they got successful
>>
>>63787014

I dunno m8, I support Charlton and we have a millionaire owner from Belgium but he's a cunt, I would happily take a rich owner who wins us titles, I've spent 20 odd years of my life watching my teach be shit I don't need to be validated by strangers on the internet that I'm a real fan if we become the next Chelsea or City.
>>
>>63787022

Watching me team be shit*
>>
>>63787022
It's not what others think that matters, i think when something like that happens to your club it changes in a huge way that you barely recognise the club the influx of new fans are just annoying
>>
File: 78.jpg (24 KB, 400x282) Image search: [Google]
78.jpg
24 KB, 400x282
what's the point of winning

if in the end you lose youself
>>
>>63786973

that's a fanciful conceit, m8, and your so-called pledge turned out to be absurdly contingent.

enjoy your personal hell and fuck on off of the threads for the club you are now shitting upon.
>>
>>63787029

Well at the end of the day if you win trophies you get band wagoners at the club, no two ways about it whether you buy the success or if you win titles fairly over the years.

It's mostly down to the ownership of the club about how much they subdue the fan culture, look at Arsenal, they have loyal fans but if you stand up and sing you get chucked out of the stadium. We don't even have corporate seats at The Valley.
>>
>>63787022
I think most clubs would be fucked without a millionaire owner.
You missed the point though, as a season ticket holder at another club, if a sheikh or big money man came in and radicalised the spending and the wages our club would be overgrown with 'fans' that now feel it to be necessary to turn up when they haven't been for 10 years.
They will tell me to sit down, they will tell me to not swear when the ref has managed to make a big guff. People who you used to despise for wearing a man utd shirt even though they have no affiliation will wear your towns/cities shirt and not through a rise through the ranks by being managed well and having a philosophy of how to play football but because the club just spent literally hundreds of millions of pounds and won summit at the end of it.
The players have no affiliation with the club, they dont give a shit. Liverpool hammered city other day while Toure was strutting round looking like he didnt give a shit. hes on like over a 100k a week. It's completely disheartening as a working class man
>>
stand down, margaret
>>
Is your father still alive?
>>
>>63785803
Condolences brother. Newcastle fan chipping in and while we don't have any bandwaggoners (not since we were "the nation's favourite second team" or other horseshoe) I can relate to feeling disconnected from your own club.

People point at individuals but the heart of Newcastle has been rotten to the core for a long time now. Past Ashley.

These rich fucks shouldn't be allowed to do this to our childhoods and our passions.
>>
>>63787247

He is. Bit of a "cats in the cradle" thing going on which is tenuously, through not primarily related to the whole "City isn't my club" thing.

With all due respect, I strongly suspect that the English sports culture is very different to what you have over there. I can't think of a comparable scenario in a franchise system.

>>63787295

Cheers m8

I was staying in Newcastle when the Champions League final was on. I briefly spoke to a couple of lads during half time and was discussing the very thing you're on about. I had an inkling that one of them might have been a /sp/artan. Long shot though.

I know Newcastle retained most of their supporters went they were down in the eighties as well as a few seasons ago so I hope for your sake, you get some kind of regeneration sooner rather than later.
>>
File: deeb.png (98 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
deeb.png
98 KB, 600x500
>>63787022
I'm a Charlton fan too, for a team so offensively mediocre, we have a lot of ups and downs in the last few decades. Its a nice team to support but I admit I'm finding it difficult to find enthusiasm these days- I can only sit through so many seasons full of 1-0 losses and draws to end in a midtable place. I don't want or expect some rise to the top but fucking something would be nice.
>>
>>63787471

You saved your fucking stadium.

That ought to keep you proud for a few more decades!

People remember these kind of things.
>>
>>63787481
We've been riding off that for two decades. Muh Valley and Muh Curbishley.

Seeing Palace and West Ham doing well is an extra kick in the teeth.
>>
>>63785820
Where were you when United became the only legit club in Manchaster?
>inb4 Stockport county
>>
>>63787489

b-but at least we aren't Millwall, r-right?
>>
>>63787505
It could always be worse. Its okay, we'll bounce back eventually. Just like Leeds and Notts Forest did, right?
>>
>>63787510

The fan sofa is just the start of our rise to the top m8
>>
>>63787489
>>63787505

Once Bilic leaves, everyone can go back to not giving a shit about West Ham and their wanky Olympic stadium. The eagles are a joke in any case.

>>63787497

Fuck you on about?
>>
>>63787528
City are the new plastic gloryhunter club
>>
As an American I will never know this feeling of passion about "my team".
>>
>>63787535

Have you even read this thread?

>>63787540

Good of you to admit to it.

In a way, I suppose it's one of those "better to have love and lost" things.

Still heartbreaking though.
>>
>>63787552
The only somewhat comparable thing I can think of would be College Sports, but if there comes a point when a billionaire sheikh just pop in and buy an entire university there will most likely be bigger problems on our hands.
>>
>just got a third division soccer club in my city this past year
>enjoying the fuck out of it
>already dreading the day we move up to MLS or whatever the first division consists of by then, and it's suddenly a franchise instead of a team
>>
>>63787562

Even then, you wouldn't get faggots from, say, Connecticut who've never been remotely near the south bandwagoning Arizona because they start winning everything.

Or do you?
>>
>>63787540
>>63787573

Our club is so JUST we have a linkin park themed video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svX_9aaMu_k
>>
>>63787586
it's a fairly limited phenomenon, but you will see people rooting for Ohio State or UCLA or Alabama when they have no connection whatsoever just because they're good at [insert major sport here]
>>
>>63787586
Probably. I live in TX where two major athletic powerhouses lie and still se loads of USC and Oregon shirts. Might just be for style though
>>
>>63785856
You, my friend, are welcome any day at the glorious Partick Thistle F.C., the genuine article, forget all that Old Firm pish
>>
>>63787600
>>63787628

Don't know who's who but thanks for feels.

Here's Ali Benarbia in a City shirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf1rfLinhlg

Fuck knows what we did to get him. Legitimate fucking legend.

This is what he was doing in France before we lucked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEVyk_pM0ls

He could have walked into the Arsenal/Manure squads.

>>63787629

Got a lot of time for Weegies. Always made sure I went to the clutha (or cathouse if it was a lairy one) whenever I passed through to traipse along the West Coast.

Fuckin spot on!
>>
If nothing else, this should be the pre-game thread.
>>
>>63787903

Too many Brit flags in this thread to be a City game thread
>>
Thread theme: Linkin Park - Numb
>>
>>63788005

see

>>63787596
>>
>>63788005

Few better ones...

We are City
WE ARE CITY
SUPER CITY
From Maine Road
We are City
Super City
We are City
From Maine Road

naaa na na
NA NA NA NA
NA NA NA NA
Cittehhhh

Myyyyyyyyyyyy
Father said to me one day is it red or blue for you
And if it's red you're out that door an I won't see you no more
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
THEN one sat'deh afternoon 'e took me to Moss Side
He said my son your time 'as come and this is a lesson in pride
Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
See the scum you never run you stand and fight your ground
An when we win on derby day you're sure to hear this sound
HARK NOW HEAR
THE CITY SING
UNITED RUN AWAY
AND WHEN WE FIGHT
FOREVER MORE
BECAUSE OF DERBY DAY

Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiteh
Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiteh
The best team in the land an' all the world
(an' all the world)

HELLO!
HELLO!
We are the city boys
HELLO!
HELLO!
We are the city boys
And if you are a M***** fan
Surrender or you'll die
'Cos we all follow the city

(and if you want to be really cheeky)

I've got a dog his name is rover na na na na na
When he shits he shits all over na na na na na
Shit on the window shit on the door
Shit on the ceiling shit on the floor
SHIT ALL OVER M***** BASTARDS NA NA NA NA NA
I know a hooker and her name's Violet
na na na na na
She gave head to the Munich pilot
na na na na na
Shit on the window shit on the door
Shit on the ceiling shit on the floor
SHIT ALL OVER M***** BASTARDS NA NA NA NA NA

And so forth... the last one is largely improv... Add a line if you want...

Not sure how much sympathy will be retained.
>>
File: rivaldo_profile_0.jpg (99 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
rivaldo_profile_0.jpg
99 KB, 800x531
I guess I'll be getting shit for this but whatever.

I'm a lifelong Barça supporter, born and raised in Barcelona, and I can understand how you feel.

Even though we were already a big team when I was a child, we were quite shitty at European level. I remember us losing against Newcastle and getting in the bottom of our group, for instance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUsfsNp5pQs).

There was that gap from 1999 till 2005 when we didn't win literally anything, not even a Spanish Cup. I remember taking the Metro to go to high school and refusing to get those free newspapers they used to give away, as I didn't want to torture myself reading in the front page "Barça loses again" or something like that.

I honestly thought there was a big chance that I would die without seeing my team winning the Champions League (I was too young in 1992). Now we have 5 and it's still difficult to believe.

Last month I went to the Camp Nou for the first time in years. I was living abroad for almost 3 years so I was really looking forward to go. We got tickets in the top tier of the stadium and I got really sad: that wasn't football, that was pure tourism. 9 out of 10 people were foreigners, they didn't know the songs and they were more focused on taking selfies than in the actual game. Luckily though, at half time we squeezed our way to the second tier and everything went back to normal. Although there were a few tourists, almost everyone there was a "true supporter".

Of course it's great to be a Barça supporter nowadays, don't get me wrong. I literally shed tears when we won the treble last season.

But it just doesn't feel the same anymore. We used to have sponsorless shirts, now we have fucking Qatar Airways on them. We used to be kind of a local team (we always had plenty of supporters in the rest of Spain and some abroad), now we have literally millions of bandwagoners all over the world.

It just feels weird.
>>
>>63788186

Barca have always been legends for as long as I can remember. Even when you went through your dry spell, the team still existed on an ethereal plane and to the outsider at least, it was always an inevitability that they would bounce right back due to their connections in South America.

Still, you've poured yourself out and I respect you for that.

I note that you didn't use the word "Catalan".

Is this something which you strongly identify with?
>>
>>63785820
>>63785812
>>63785803
>>63785803
>supporting a first divisin team
1st divisions are 100% plastic teams with 0 identity and full of corruption
Support the hood team, the one with the real passion and fans
FUCK BOCA FUCK RIVER
AGUANTE EL ASCENSO GILES DE MIERDA
>>
File: 79567-944-489.jpg (112 KB, 944x489) Image search: [Google]
79567-944-489.jpg
112 KB, 944x489
>>63788261
Thanks m8.

Yes, I know we've always been big, that's why I guess some people will think all I said is bullshit, but you get the idea of what I meant.

I've never been a "patriot", so I don't really care much about the Spain v Catalonia thing. However, if someone put a gun on my head and made me choose, I'd definy myself as a Catalan.

I don't mind my club being related to Catalan identity. In fact, the Catalan culture and language was kept alive during the Spanish dictatorship thanks to the people who went to the Camp Nou, among many others of course.
>>
>>63788302

Man City weren't always top tier. As I mentioned, they sunk to the third level when I was proudest to support them. Besides, my Dad was born in a house in Beswick less than three miles from Maine Road and I was raised five miles from the ground.

Man City were literally the closest team. They were the "hood" team if you will.
>>
>>63788339
define*
>>
>>63788186
I partially agree but I prefer it now than the super shit times with horrible signings, games, seasons and managers.

The worst thing nowadays is that we are always expected to win. That's too much pressure and it kinda makes me lose the joy of the game.

The commercial side of things (Qatar, tourists at stadium, etc) is just the way the game has become. Without that money pouring in, Messi would be at some premier club, Neymar and Suárez at other clubs, etc. It's become an arms race where only the strong survive. They've been trying to destroy the club for the last few years, the money is the thing that has kept it alive.
>>
>>63788339

To be honest, I've always been warmer towards Barca than Real largely due to the George Orwell connection - him highlighting the hardships suffered by the working class in the North West of England before joining the POUM.

Politics is something I find difficult to subscribe to but it's also difficult not to develop sympathy should one read about things. It is human nature after all.

Man City had no particular religious or political resonance with me, it was simply the team my Dad got me to support and the team I could relate to as a Mancunian.

I suppose it irks you that the actual city of Barcelona and the region of Catalonia means literally nothing to the muppet in Frankfurt wearing the Blue and Red stripes, even though commercially, the club is geared towards him rather than you.
>>
>>63788443
It goes beyond Orwell if you're of a socialist persuasion for Barca over Real. The Spanish Government wanted Barca to fail and Real to succeed.

>On 14 April 1931, the arrival of the Second Spanish Republic caused the club to lose the title Real and went back to being named Madrid Football Club. Football continued during the Second World War, and on 13 June 1943 Madrid beat Barcelona 11–1 in the second leg of a semi-final[22] of the Copa del Generalísimo, the Copa del Rey having been renamed in honour of General Franco. It has been suggested that Barcelona players were intimidated by police,[23] including by the director of state security who "allegedly told the team that some of them were only playing because of the regime's generosity in permitting them to remain in the country."[24] The Barcelona chairman, Enric Piñeyro, was assaulted by Madrid fans.[25] However, none of these allegations have been proven and FIFA and UEFA still consider the result as legitimate. According to Spanish journalist and writer, Juan Carlos Pasamontes, Barcelona player Josep Valle denied that the Spanish security forces came before the match.[26] Instead, at the end of the first half, Barcelona coach Juan José Nogués and all of his players were angry with the hard-style of play Real Madrid was using and with the aggressiveness of the home crowd.[26] When they refused to take the field, the Superior Chief of Police of Madrid appeared, identified himself, and ordered the team to take the field.[26]
>>
>>63788443
>even though commercially, the club is geared towards him rather than you
I'm not the poster you are talking with but I disagree with this completely. In recent times the club has given full support to catalan identity and local politic developments.

>>63788502
>The Spanish Government wanted Barca to fail and Real to succeed.
They still do
>>
>>63788443
>I suppose it irks you that the actual city of Barcelona and the region of Catalonia means literally nothing to the muppet in Frankfurt wearing the Blue and Red stripes

Actually, not really. It would be nice if they'd try to understand and learn our history, but as long as they like the club it's fine for me.

>>63788530
>>The Spanish Government wanted Barca to fail and Real to succeed.
>They still do

This.
>>
What would your feelings be if the billionaire investor was a manc and city fan?
>>
>>63788399
I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. Of course in general everything is better now than 10-15 years ago.

I just don't like, as you said, the way the game has become. I guess I'm just a football romantic.
>>
>>63788610
>>63788530

Fair enough. You were born knowing that FC Barca was bigger than Barcelona.

>>63788639

Like a Jack Walker at Blackburn type?

Provided he didn't bring in a marketing guru from Nike to turn the club into a brand, it would be much more palatable.
>>
>>63788726
>I just don't like, as you said, the way the game has become.
Oh, yeah, it used to be about love. Now it's more like a high budget porn movie.
>>
Two bongs to kick off lads.

We can do it.
>>
>>63788729
Blackburn fan here. Still love that big fat racist fucker.
>>
>>63789283
Forza Juve!
>>
Some good stories posted here thanks /sp/bros I appreciate your openness
>>
>>63789453

Bless his soul. He was a good man overall for a fat racist fuck. Lord knows he'd be spinning in his grave now.

It might sadden you to know that I know of a couple of ex-Rovers fans who currently hold season tickets at the Emptyhad.
>>
i'm a lifelong die hard patriots fan so i know a little bit about whats it like to go from nothing to the absolute best but we did it the right way instead of just buying the best players
>>
File: 1426301385532.png (308 KB, 460x600) Image search: [Google]
1426301385532.png
308 KB, 460x600
>>63785803
>>63785812
>>63785820
You sound like a loser, you rather be in the Championship with "REAL FANS" instead of Kek'ing United and winning PL trophies.

Muh Success
Muh Foreign fans
Muh Oil Money
Muh Buying Trophies

Lighten Up C.uck, pic related.
>>
>>63789533

From what I know of NFL, you were just waiting your turn really.
>>
>>63789537
kek
>>
Some light reading before the Match.
Sponsored by Qatar and Gazprom.
http://oil-price.net/en/articles/oil-prices-and-syrian-civil-war.php
>>
File: file.png (180 KB, 350x424) Image search: [Google]
file.png
180 KB, 350x424
>>63789682
>The State of Irish Potato Education System

City's owners aren't Qatar, there UAE and aren't as linked to terrorism like Qatar and KSA.
>>
I suppose I am a bit of a bandwagoner, but I started supporting Juventus when I was about five. I saw Del Piero scoring a free-kick and without knowing who he was or what Juve were about I tried to emulate the free-kick hundreds of times with one of those plastic balls you were able to curve like Roberto Carlos against France. Then, my dad bought be a Del Piero kit and told me who he was. After some time I was allowed to stay up a bit longer to watch this Serie A highlights show and I've loved Juve ever since. I remember bawling my eyes out after Shevchenko scored that winning penalty. Then Calciopoli happened when I was nine, and I didn't understand what really happened but I was heartbroken when I was Ibra going to Inter (I met him when he played for Ajax and was so happy when I heard he went to Juve), Cannavaro going to Real etc. I was still wearing my Juve kit despite being mocked very often. As I had no idea about streaming and the like I would follow the Serie B matches by staring at a livescore page on teletext. During the years I became more aware of the structure of the club and my appreciation for Buffon, Del Piero, Nedved, Trézéguet and Camoranesi grew after what they sacrificed playing in Serie B. Then I had to live through the mediocre years and ridiculous signings (Melo, Amauri, Martínez). When Conte came in I had this feeling it would work, that day the title was won again against Cagliari away (weird because they couldn't play at their own ground and were forced to play in Triest) I cried tears of joy. These last seasons Juventini have been spoiled again but when people start getting angry (like the start of this season when the team couldn't win) I remind myself of the shit I've witnessed.

Best of luck tonight m8.
>>
>>63789506
>>
>>63785803
>>63785812
>>63785820

Anyone care to summarise this in 10 words or less?
>>
File: hipster joey.png (406 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hipster joey.png
406 KB, 640x480
>>63790403

Here you go.
>>
File: Barton.jpg (11 KB, 300x341) Image search: [Google]
Barton.jpg
11 KB, 300x341
>>63790434

>implying you wouldn't fucking wreck that piece
>>
> """""""""""""""""""""""willy"""""""""""""""""""""""" caballero

discuss
>>
Who /Closs/ here?
>>
>>63785803
>tfw haven't been to a game since 2010

wearing the club like a skinsuit, it's horror movie stuff.
>>
You should write for Vice or something mate.
>>
They've taken my love who Shinawatra turned into a whore, cloaked her in the finest of silk dresses and doused her in the most seductive of Arabian fragrances.
I don't recognise her any longer. She might look beautiful but she's rotten at the core.
>>
>>63785803
OP, maybe I have no right to speak as a bandwagoner myself, but I kinda get how annoying it must be. I've been supporting Arsenal since 1997, but I still feel uncomfortable with calling myself a 'true fan' or whatever. This annoying kid I know used to be a Utd fan, shifted gears in fucking 2011 or sth, and regularly uses 'we' to refer to City and curses out supporters of other clubs. There are tons of others like that around here, too.

Must be hard to welcome dipshits like that into the fanbase.
>>
What's going on in the game?

Fucking Virgin have blocked the stream I normally use.
>>
>>63791265

You have a right to speak as does anybody. My opinions and cynicisms are just that. My opinions and cynicisms. You probably have your own on a bunch of shit I couldn't understand.

Personally, I think "Support" is such a strong word. I'd prefer "follow".

IMO, you can have an interest in a certain team. Feel a bit happy for them when they win, a bit down for them when they don't. But to connect with a club, you have to know the area and truly understand what it is to be a part of the culture. You can't absorb strong sentiments from a distance.

I have warm sentiments for several clubs across Europe for a variety of reasons (several have been mentioned or alluded to ITT already).

I prefer Barca over Real because of their whole civil war stuff. I like Atromitos because their fans were really cool with FK Sarajevo. I like FK Sarajevo because they're the team that represents my girlfriend's home city (and I happened to watch them play rather than Zeljo when I was over there). I like Borussia Dortmund because I was born in an army base near their stadium.

Nevertheless, I don't have the first fucking clue what it's like to grow up and become a man in Athens, Dortmund, Sarajevo or Barcelona. As such, I can only hold those teams in esteem without having the temerity to call myself a supporter or fan.

I guess that you're in a disadvantaged position living in Bangladesh as there are no globally relevant teams that play there (as far as I'm aware). Nevertheless, just because the teams in your area are pants, doesn't mean you can't go through incredible experiences with them.

One of my favourite games I've ever been to (this is actually in my top three of all time) was watching FK Sarajevo beat Levski Sofia in a Europa league qualifier. I knew, and everybody in Bosnia knew that Bosnian teams are shit tier and it'd take a miracle for any of them to play in a European tournament proper.

tbc
>>
>>63791265
>>63792148

But on that night, despite being massive underdogs and a goal behind from the first leg... and the Bulgarians ripping the shit out of the Bosnians over the Srebrenica massacre all day whilst hiding behind the police, the Bosnian fans created a fucking phenomenal atmosphere and the players played out of their skins. In the end, Sarajevo won 3-1 on the night and went through to the next round.

The city was practically on fire. Those local boys celebrated like they had just won the fucking champions league and I can honestly say that very, very few celebrations that I'd experienced with Man City matched what happened that night.

I could never ever call myself a Sarajevo fan but I was so fucking happy for them because it was something that truly meant something to the people of the city.

For what it's worth, they were knocked out in the next round by an even shittier team from Montenegro. That's what football is truly about to a fucking infinitissimal degree.

My point is, follow and enjoy other teams as much as you desire. But connect to the team that genuinely means something to you.

Here's the atmosphere I was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBie4POZMzY

and here's the amazing goal that put Sarajevo through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FikKpvKdo
>>
>>63792188
I understand your point about not understanding the team's living, breathing history without being around it. That's why I would hesitate to call myself a gooner before knowing the smell of the North London air.

That's why it pisses me off when people who have never set a foot in Manchester and wouldn't know how to spell Kinkladze act all smug and obnoxious about the 'achievements' of City. Plus, it bothers me that the bandwagoners are so annoying when the actual City fans are known for being an alright bunch.
>>
File: 1434328719772.jpg (43 KB, 681x496) Image search: [Google]
1434328719772.jpg
43 KB, 681x496
>>63792188
>mfw yanks think their 'atmosphere' comes anything close to those two vids
>>
>>63792489
>I understand your point about not understanding the team's living, breathing history without being around it. That's why I would hesitate to call myself a gooner before knowing the smell of the North London air.

Who knows where your future lies? Perhaps you'll become naturalized, marry a cockney bird and have no choice but to follow the Gooners.

But what about teams in Bangladesh? Even making it to an AFC Champions League qualifier could feel like magic. It would for the players.

>That's why it pisses me off when people who have never set a foot in Manchester and wouldn't know how to spell Kinkladze act all smug and obnoxious about the 'achievements' of City.

Best thing is to pay no mind. They're insulting me but they're not insulting you. By all means, let them know what a proper Manc thinks of them but at the end of the day, they're just muppets. If you like them as people then don't discuss football with them. If you don't like them then fuck them off. It's no loss.

>Plus, it bothers me that the bandwagoners are so annoying when the actual City fans are known for being an alright bunch.

I like to think I'm alright but like every group, no matter how ardent they are when it comes to football, there will be knobheads. Not every "proper" City fan is a solid gent, nor does every "proper" City fan think I'm a solid gent.
>>
>>63788726
Pure nostalgia desu

When Poop left the club I thought that we would be again shifting managers year after year, living in a delusion, endless disappointment year after year, The black november, getting excited just because you can sign that literally who southamerican next season. Celebrating being 4th or playing EL.
And I felt good, it was going to be like "the good days". All that bandwagoners would learn what to be a true Barça fan is.

But Serra Ferrer dude. Serra Ferrer.

Fuck nostalgia. We're true champions now.
>>
>>63792780

Brilliant isn't it?
>>
>>63792873
I've met some City fans who were proper cunts, they have that persecution complex which isn't even justified anymore.
>>
>>63793452

Where and when bro?
>>
>>63785803
>I've chose this team

Stopped reading there. You don't choose your team. You support your local team.

0/10 bait.
>>
>>63793558

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeL9zlXmWYs

I had a choice, knob-rot.
>>
>>63793550
In a London pub watching that boring derby, was with a Man Utd fan of mine, a couple of wannabe Liam Gallaghers were sat on the next table and jeered us because he had a United scarf on. YER NOT FROM MANCHESTER MATE, when he is, he's just not some fucking drunk twat. They wanted a fight I think.
>>
>>63793904

I see nothing wrong here.

They were probably just after some bantz and your mate wasn't up to it.

Seeing you're a southern jessie, I can understand how you may have misinterpreted things. People actually talk to each other up north you know.
>>
>>63793318
>But Serra Ferrer dude. Serra Ferrer.

Don't even remind me, m8.
>>
>>63792873
The problem with supporting local professional teams is that they all have political identities, none of which I am comfortable with.

I get my local football fix from my university teams.
>>
That Dutch faggot posting his "eternal" thread makes me hate man city as it is right now. I hope he reads this and kills himself tonight with that faggot bag of him.
>>
>>63794271

Are the players and supporters "political"? Most players in Europe couldn't give a shit about allegiances off the pitch and I've known hard leftists to support AC Milan despite the club being owned by Berlusconi and his mafia pals.

Otherwise, get yourself to London, marry a gooner and try to blend in.

I genuinely respect the fact that you refuse to call yourself a "true" gooner before you've smelled the London air. I hope you can find your sporting connection (or grow mature beyond such a need).
>>
>>63794334

I don't want him to kill himself for christ's sake. Just to recognise that he isn't a City fan and dedicate his shitposting to Heerenveen or some shit.
>>
>>63794533
Yeah, many players and supporters can be political. For example, a one-time captain of the side that is associated with the current ruling party is now an MP. And he beat up some people just because he could.

That's how our politicians are. Anyway, best of luck with your club, man. I hope try-hard bandwagoners don't ruin your enjoyment any further.
>>
File: Manchester_City.svg.png (247 KB, 860x1023) Image search: [Google]
Manchester_City.svg.png
247 KB, 860x1023
>>63785856
>I hope you enjoy it as much as you've enjoyed taking everything that ever fucking meant anything to me as far as my childhood passion is concerned.

No problem. Go Manchester Eagles!
>>
>>63787014
>Genuine question for those that don't support a big club. would you you rather a citeh esque chairman bought your club and spent hundreds of millions to occasionally win the league or would you blood the youth, have a passionate fan base in a good old ground and over achieving now and again while living through the hardships of some terrible football.

Well, since my team has neither, I'll take the citeh chairman.
>>
>>63789565
>From what I know of NFL, you were just waiting your turn really.

This. It's really not the same with the NFL, because the salary cap and the draft system means that any team has a good chance of becoming a title contender. It's incredible how quickly a team can go from winning their conference or winning the Super Bowl to just being another shit team. There's no eternal suffering unless you're a fan of the Browns.
>>
>>63793558
He's from Manchester, City and United are both "his local team", so he picked one over the other.
>>
>>63787014
I'd rather the club grew without a multimillionaire owner, on the basis of more associates, better sponsorship deals, and home-made talent. That doesn't seem to be possible in England though. I mean I can't name any fan-owned club from there.
>>
>>63795377
>That doesn't seem to be possible in England though.

It's not really possible in any of the top leagues. One of the richest clubs will just buy up your young players the moment they show any promise.
>>
>>63795455
>It's not really possible in any of the top leagues.

>tf
>tp

who owns Bayern, Barcelona, Atletico, Real Madrid, etc.?
>>
>>63787014
No chance. I support a tiny team in the area but should we artificially rise up the leagues due to some billionaire owner it would just feel false.

I feel genuinely sorry for proper city fans, the soul of your club has been ripped out and it's basically been like cheating on football manager for the last few seasons.

When City won the title a few seasons ago at the expense of Liverpool my United supporting mates were genuinely relieved. Many of them were over the moon in fact as Liverpool had fucked it up so badly and City had won it. A few seasons before that the devastation might have been equal but after enquiring on how they felt about City winning it they said they didn't mind as it wasn't real, it wasn't Man City winning that title it was just an Arab bloke and his team of mercenaries developed elsewhere.

They still hate city but not in the same way. How can you when the proper city fans probably hate their club a little bit too? They've pretty much become and even exceeded everything they used to take the piss out of United for.

So no I wouldn't want that for my club because it wouldn't be my club anymore.
>>
>>63795535

I meant that it's not possible for a club at the bottom to grow now and join the elite, Mr Big Strong Brazilian.
>>
>>63795634
>they said they didn't mind as it wasn't real, it wasn't Man City winning that title it was just an Arab bloke and his team of mercenaries developed elsewhere.

If they have this mindset, then how can they enjoy their own team's title wins when it's just a couple Americans and their team of mercenaries?
>>
>>63795649
alright, fair enough claim
>>
File: New_Manchester_City_FC_crest.jpg (174 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
New_Manchester_City_FC_crest.jpg
174 KB, 400x400
City are funny to watch now, cracks me up.
also used to go as a kid
>>
>>63795663
Because their wealth and fortune was built from the bottom up. May apply now but the infrastructure at Man United was built over many years from the team featuring Robson up to around 2010.

That's how they said it anyway.
>>
>>63795663

United also won titles and European cups before any huge money was put in. They used their own players from the youth squad and many were also from Manchester or england so it wasn't bought in that respect.
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.