[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I see all the enthusiasm about baseball so I tried watching a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: baseball.png (400 KB, 620x346) Image search: [Google]
baseball.png
400 KB, 620x346
I see all the enthusiasm about baseball so I tried watching a match. I'd really like to get into it. I tried Yankees-Red Sox because I know they're 2 big teams.

So I watched the first about 30 pitches. There were about 3 or 4 times the guy could hit the ball and even then he couldn't even get to first base.

What gives? What am I missing?
>>
You don't get free base just for making contact

>baseball match
>>
>>69583209
No, my point is: what I saw was pitch-miss-pitch-miss-pitch-miss-pitch-miss-pitch-miss.
>>
I personally think baseball is the greatest North American sport, but I admit it can be tough to get into for someone who didn't grow up with it and was surrounded by its culture from a young age, especially for Europeans who are used to soccer's constant motion or even Brits who grew up with cricket, which has many more instances of balls in play.

The action is based around the pitcher/batter duel, much like cricket, and is very much a battle of wits even though to the uninitiated, it just looks like one guy throwing hard and the other guy swinging hard.

Another way into gaining an appreciation of baseball is to learn about just hard something like throwing an accurate 95mph pitch from a distance of 60'6" really is. Try it yourself. Map out the distance and try to hit a 2' x 2' target with a tennis ball or something.

And if you like visual excitement, there's plenty of that, too. It just takes a while to unfold at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5GW5K0P4iU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKR2vRj8Xzk
>>
its a pitchers era and a low scoring era since they cleaned up the roids
>>
>>69583362
Thanks for the videos. I was expecting something like that. I do like NASCAR which again something that people say "All they do is go round and round".

I'll keep trying.
>>
There are billions of games per season, so there's not much excitement surrounding any particular one. It's something to watch when you're drunk or bloated and just need to shut your brain off for 3 hours.

OTOH world series games can be the tensest shit ever.
>>
>>69583493

Good luck. But as this guy said >>69583500 the regular season is a marathon, and tuning in during July is probably not the best option for someone wanting to get into the game, since the crowd will likely be lukewarm and won't create an exciting atmosphere. June and July are baseball's regular season doldrums. It's not until mid-August where things start heating up as the playoff picture becomes more clarified and teams start making pushes or collapsing, giving each game more perceived meaning.

Here's an example of the atmosphere during playoff baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61spAt92APc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJJfyatUNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAk1aL-BNo
>>
>>69583184
>match
>>
File: bb19.jpg (166 KB, 524x444) Image search: [Google]
bb19.jpg
166 KB, 524x444
>>69583209
>>69584149
>match

ok so what do you call it?
>>
>>69584227
I guess they call it "game", because that is what it is, a children's game
>>
>>69584227
>>69584336
We don't say "match" for any sport, except maybe tennis I guess. It's always "game".
>>
>>69583184
The Yankees are unbelievably bad this season, and they had what was (in theory) one of >our better pitchers on the mound. That fat fucker Sabathia can be pretty good at times, just watch a game with Pineda or Eovaldi starting if you want to see opponents go to town.
>>
>>69583239
The pitcher doesn't want the hitter to get on base, so he tries to make the pitches difficult to hit
>>
>>69584918
no shit.
>>
Is someone from a country where soccer is massive seriously complaining about a lack of occurrences in baseball?

The average runs scored in a game of baseball far exceeds the average number of goals scored in soccer.
>>
>>69583184
>watching basebore
There's your mistake, it's garbage
>>
>>69584439
A lot call it a ball game. You watching the ball game, m8?
>>
>>69584490
CC had a good stretch, but overall he hasn't been good this year
>>
>>69584960
That was my best guess on how to answer your incoherent post
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.