[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
!Welcome to the /soc/ MUSIC GENERAL! Come post if you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 38
File: musiciguess.jpg (34 KB, 467x213) Image search: [Google]
musiciguess.jpg
34 KB, 467x213
!Welcome to the /soc/ MUSIC GENERAL!
Come post if you're a musician, and if you're not, post anyways! We accept anyone here as long as they have a love for music.
Everybody posts a picture of themselves!

If you're not a musician:
>Post favorite music
>Enthuse about your favorite music
>Ask musicians anything

If you're a musician:
>Post instruments
>Post experience
>Post your music
>Share music stories
>Enthuse about your favorite music and influences
>Ask non-musicians anything

Everybody
>Talk about local scenes
>Rate on music taste
>Talk about best concert experience
>Have heated discussions about important musical happenings
>>
File: picture152.jpg (154 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
picture152.jpg
154 KB, 1280x720
>>23422213
OP Here.
Musician of 20 years here.
>Percussion 20 years
>Guitars 15 years
>Piano 6 or 7 odd years I dunno
>Vocals about 2 years
I work as a freelance audio producer/mastering engineer. I record, produce, master, mix, perform, and run a studio. I go by certain monikers, but most know me as Mister. I have several projects, having deleted a good bunch because of a incredibly crude breakup I had recently. I've produced artists from Europe, Asia, USA (east to west coast), and South America. Nothing too huge, most local scene and DIY groups/artists. I believe in local scenes and the power to avoid and cripple big business in the music industry.
I own:
>1996 Fender Buddy Guy Signature Special Strat
>2005 Fender Squier Strat
>2001 knockoff Fender P-Bass
>Many synths
>Many midi
>Many equipments
>Many rainbow drumkits (ask if you want specifics)
>Many spaghettis and spondulis
I think my favorite album ever is Trilogy by Emerson Lake and Palmer. Best performance I saw live was Paul McCartney. My influences are vast and unconnected, usually Prog, Jazz, IDM, Skiffle, Blues, Free, New Wave, and Hardcore Punk surface at the top. I just moved to Chicago and am restarting my life as far as other people are concerned. Had an incredibly bad breakup and shit sucks and cry and whine and blah blah. Anybody in Chitown make music? I know a few friends and DIY distro owners around, but no circles.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 819x1182) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 819x1182
>favorite music
Genre or what?
Well I generally like metal
I hate bands like Bring me the Horizon or Sleeping with sirens or crap like that

>enthuse about your favorite music
Some of the bands I like are System of a Down, Korn, Behemoth!, RHCP, Scars on Broadway, Dimmu Borgir, Marilyn Manson, Slayer and Kiss

I do play guitar (I've always liked drums more) and sing but I don't know if I should call myself a musician or not because I don't create my own stuff, I mostly do covers
>>
>>23422285
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aAh01a9pVLw

I want to hear you sing.
>>
File: slfe.png (522 KB, 480x597) Image search: [Google]
slfe.png
522 KB, 480x597
>>23422258
Damn senpai, you're ~skilled~. Have a bandcamp or soundcloud I can check?

ANYWAY:
If you're not a musician:
>Post favorite music
diy emo and punk
^that shit is dope
>Ask musicians anything
OP I wish I had gotten into music younger. Do you have any tips for a new drummer?

If you're a musician:
>Post instruments
Percussion/drum kit
>Post experience
8 months or so
>Post your music
none yet but so hoping to get something recorded in a couple weeks
>Share music stories
I suck and am trying to not suck

Everybody
>Talk about local scenes
Milwaukee's DIY punk/emo scene has passed its prime but I still love going to bar and house shows. I hope some kids come around and revitalize it.

My new favorite dudes in town are a band called Live Tetherball Tonight
https://livetetherball.bandcamp.com/album/tetherball-esta-noche-en-vivo
>Rate on music taste
idk what to say here
Seeing Foxing before they were yuge play a basement show was really cool
Death Grips is good, can't wait for Bottomless Pit. Fight me
>>
File: IMG_20160203_154030~2.jpg (2 MB, 3088x3088) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160203_154030~2.jpg
2 MB, 3088x3088
>>23422323
Muh kit
>>
File: picture135.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
picture135.jpg
186 KB, 1280x720
>>23422285
Can be genre, album, artist, song, piece, theme, whatever as long as it's music.
>>23422302
Nice song.
>>23422323
Nothing of mine is stable atm. I'll probably have new material out this year. As for my clients I have a firm policy about them promoting themselves. I do have some webms for you from my old house. I'm still rebuilding everything.. Breakups are fucking nasty...
http://webmshare.com/AxXoj
jam/warmup
http://webmshare.com/0Evne
warmups/fucking around
My favorite Death and the Grips album is Government Plates of Spaghetti and Spondulis.
>>23422327
Nice kit, but if I was there, I'd do all sorts of numerous tweaks because I'm ADHD and a bit OCD when it comes to music. Runon's and fragments forever.
>>
>>23422338
That's cool man. I'm a huge noob and having a percussion perfectionist fix my shit would be kinda nice.

I also am a huge fan of GP. One of my favorite. I used to not like Ex Military so much but having listened to it a few times over it's growing on me.

I'm on my phone now but I'll check those webms in a hot minute when I can.

As far as Chitown scene, the dude you want to get to know is a guy named Nnamdi Ogbonnaya. He is pretty entrenched and well known in some scenes I reckon.

He plays drums in this very sick math rock/jazzy band called Monobody. Check it out for sure.
>>
>>23422380
Just checked out Monobody. That's some nice Math Indie there. I'll have to see if I can get the self-titled release somewhere. I'm in Forest Park right now.
>>
File: carlllllll - Copy - Copy.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
carlllllll - Copy - Copy.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>23422323
I also forgot to mention...
Tips for new spondul- I mean Percussionists:
>Check your wrists all the time. Should be using proper technique for whatever drums you're playing. If you don't know the technique, look up sticking techniques for certain drums. E.G. timpani uses different stick technique than snare
>Train your jerk off muscles. These are the muscles that reside in the middle of your forearm and activate when you do the jerking off. These are important because if you want good flexibility and swiftness with a stick, you need to be able to control all aspects of your wrists and arms. These muscles help you do that.
>Practice, anywhere, anytime, with anything. When I started I was extremely poor. My mom could barely afford lessons and I was trained, luckily, at an early age. If you're getting into percussion, you can practice on litterally ANY surface. Don't have sticks? That's fine, use your hands on your lap and practice with all four limbs. Can't move your limbs? That's fine, read about theory. It's intricately woven into aspects of percussion.
>Learn the pocket. Steve Gadd once said: "Technique doesn't mean shit if you can't play a backbeat and lock it in.." He's exactly right. I've heard so many percussionists fall out of time with the band or orchestra or whatever when they ARE the timing. Percussion is meant to be the heartbeat of any music, combined with the rest of the rhythm section, they help the band determine everything from tempo to the key. Speaking of key...
>Learn to tune your drums. This is incredibly important, especially if you want to record or play live. Remember what I said about reading about theory? Do it. Drums have to be tuned or they sound like shit.
>Break out of genres. Play everything. Expose yourself to everything you're afraid of. Learn all the rules and then break them all. Percussion is an extremely versatile art. There may be many guidelines and 'codes' but ultimately the best percussionists disobeyed the masters.
>>
>>23422469
>sticking techniques for certain drums
thanks mango I've been haphazardly holding my sticks till now but I'm watching some vids and doing some reading and have a better idea of where my fulcrum is and can now double stroke much better :D
>>
File: assconsin.jpg (96 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
assconsin.jpg
96 KB, 960x960
>>23422546
Good, glad I helped. Also, start learning piano or access a keyboard somehow. Practice scales, the better you are at theory, the easier it will be to keep your drums in tune. You need to re tune them for whatever keys the other musicians you play with are in. It's pretty fucking integral. I know so many drummers that know dick about theory and suck because of it. It's like those cringe videos you watch and it feels like you're getting stabbed in the stomach repeatedly because the embarassment is and is and is again.
>>
File: WIN_20160222_182102.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160222_182102.jpg
142 KB, 1280x720
amateur poorfag "musician" in the works here
would appreciate tips on spondulis from OP

>sax 10 yrs
>drums 8 yrs
>guitar 5 yrs
>vox 5 yrs
>dabbled on piano since I was a wee lad
All that said, I've never had consistent training, so the years mean next to nothing. Took a handful of lessons here and there for different instruments, but poorfaggotry always nips my buds. I'm taking sax lessons now. Learning jazz, but fixing my shit technique too.
guh

>shit I like
Lately, it's been modal/post-bop/hard-bop jazz. Heavy ass shoegaze some days for sad feels. Hardcore punk other days for fuck this shit feels. However, fastgaze with dream-pop chords and doomy-bass is the supreme sonic ejaculate that fuels my senses (see: Whirr, Nothing, Cloakroom).

>shit I want
1 jizzmaster
many pedals
1 hand-hammered ride
1 ride with rivets
1 steel snare w/wooden hoops
1 tenor sax
a shitload of other things I can't afford

>music stories
I worked at a hole-in-the-wall drum store for a year, and one of the guitarists from TWIABP came in. I talked to him for a bit and he was pretty normal. It was awks because our shit store didn't have what he was looking for. Also, I was kinda disappointed that it wasn't the drummer. I would suck his dick for those free-jazz chops lol. Saw them perform a few months after that. Bretty fun but not mind-blowing.

>shit I've recorded
lol hwut now

>>23422258
PLS EXPOUND ON RAINBOW DRUMKITS
>>
File: picture163.jpg (176 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
picture163.jpg
176 KB, 1280x720
>>23422679
If you're playing jazz shoegaze hardcore on guitar or what have you, I recommend a Strat. Jazzmasters are sorta limited as far as playability and tone goes.
Elaborating on RAINBOW KITS. Rainbow kits are drumkits that are assembled from several different kits and random drums and hardware. You can compare them to Frankenstein Guitars. My kits are always composed of at least two different setups. As far as drums go, I own Yamahas, Pearls, DW's, and Pork Pies. As far as cymbals go, I own Sabians, Staggs, Zildjians, Wuhans, Bosphorus, and Istanbuls. It doesn't matter if a cymbal is hand hammered, it doesn't matter if a drum is wood or acrylic. It doesn't matter if a brand is labeled on the instrument. Every single percussion instrument is valuable in its own right because they all sound unique. Fuck composing kits of one brand, you might as well just live in one decade for the rest of your life.
>>23422469
>>23422611
More Sponduli tips:
>Practice rudiments. There are like millions upon billions of rudiments. You can even invent your own, it's not very hard. Rudiments may be simple, but everything that's simple becomes complex when combined with speed and other rudiments. If you master the basics and learn to fuse your techniques, then you'll become a certified ninja of pocket drumming.
>For the love of god, do NOT use your arms. A common misconception of percussion is to use muscle strength, when in fact percussion is centered around as little strength as possible. Percussion is all agility and repetitive muscle memory. Drummers sweat because they're trying to move swiftly, not beating down the skins with raw power.
>On the topic of muscles and all this crap, fingers are super important. Even the way you position and use fingers on sticks is critical. Make sure you have a proper fulcrum, this can be placed in several parts of the stick depending on what you're playing. Your pointer and thumb will almost always be stationary and secure.
>>
File: eric ball.png (1 MB, 622x840) Image search: [Google]
eric ball.png
1 MB, 622x840
https://soundcloud.com/leviticus1/shellrock-sanctuary here's a tune i made
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo258.jpg (90 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo258.jpg
90 KB, 800x600
>The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgq8l1m9W0
This is probably my favorite album at the moment, that or Arca - Mutant or Bitches Brew - OG Miles Davis since I finally gave those two a listen.
Jenny Death is best Grips album IMO F A M
>been playing bass for 8 years
>guitar for the same
>piano/synth for only 3

>instruments
pls excuse the poorfag pleb gear :c
s-soon I will be gear
first purchase is gonna be the Bit Commander pedal from the Earthquaker line.
that or a Line 6 loop station. A girl can dream.
>experience
so far I've been in 3 projects and only one actually took off to the point where I played a show, but I was like 16 at the time. Me and a buddy are probably starting another project soon when I can afford gear again.
>your music
;__;
>music stories
see experience, the scene in my town is pretty pop-punk/emo/skate punk so it's pretty fantastic. Snowing and Street Smart Cyclists came from here so I can kind of be proud of that.
>Enthuse
as pleb as this is a lot of the influence I'm getting for this next project is from Zack Hill and Andy from Meme Grips.
how do you choose to express?
>>
>>23423021
>fuck jazzmasters
but what about muh effects?
I really wanna be able to play with feedback. That's the one thing. I've considered a strat, but haven't looked into them as much as teles and jazzmasters. Also, I've heard that Squier teles and jm's are better than their strats at the lower price range. I'm not about to shell out 500+ for a guitar alone. Is that worth worrying about when it comes to a decent strat? Teach me senpai.
>sponduli tips
w8 w8 w8 I thought sponduli meant guap. Moolah. Finance. Not that I'm a pro, but I'm fine when it comes to drumming technique. The stuff you're saying has been stuff I've been aware of for a while now. I'm more concerned about how to get decent gear while being a wageslave. Although, I currently work part-time and make 800 a month, 50-60% of which goes into rent/bills/groceries. Should I just become a monk? Embrace hare krishna? HOW DO I SURMOUNT COMFORT CONSUMERISM

>>23423195
BJ-DONO
damn I've never felt this comfy listening to Le Microphones before
>;__; tfw no music to share
soon we shall transcend, I know it
>pop-punk/emo/skate punk
yoyoyoyoyoyo you should check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOK5hOfB7kY
I know they're hit or miss, but I love them. They're from my home state.
>how u espresso
from the very shitty stuff I've made so far, I figure I try to write lyrics that will not only induce feels but give somewhat positive outlooks to people. John Frusciante bretty much got me started. Musically, I want to balance sweetness with dissonance, trying not to use too much of one or the other. Wayne Shorter pulls this off so well imo. Whirr too.
HBU
>>
File: 1.jpg (180 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
180 KB, 640x480
>>23423820
Firstly, there are hundreds upon thousands of different permutations of guitars. The wood a guitar is made of heavily affects its tone. Teles sound completely different from Strats because of wood, pickups, the bridge, and the type of neck. I recommend the Strat because unlike the Tele which only really has 2 working pickups, the Strat has three, making 2 more sound blending options available compared to a Tele. Tele's are great workhorses, incredibly spanky sounding guitars even with just the neck pickup activated. Strats can achieve that and more. They can give you earthy tones, bluesy tones, spanky tones, and screamy tones. Your effects only go so far, it's also about the technique and the make of the guitar, how it functions, how easy it is to repair etc.. which brings me to my next point.
Secondly, Strats will work great with any effect, I use one my Strats as a prepared guitar with a shit ton of feedback. I don't even have to aim the magnets at the amp. Strats are some of the loudest fucking guitars imaginable. Even without any pedal effects or post processing, they are super loud. While the stock pickups of a typical Strat aren't always the greatest, it's really easy to modify the pickups. My Squier Strat uses a couple of Seymour Duncans that act as single coil humbuckers. They work nicely to give the strat whatever tone I want it to have. Not to mention, my Special Strat has Gold Lace pickups in it that fucking wail.
Thirdly, the world of music is sadly expensive. I had to wageslave it up for a bit and lose a lot of sleep over it. Now I only have a part time job and my experience helps pay the bills. Good quality made instruments are just pricey now because of big market within the music industry. Most guitar companies sold out hard and now good guitars are hard to come by unless they're spent with wads of Sponduli.
Fourthly, don't question my Sponduli.
Lastly, if you have the talent and ear, you can manipulate any instrument to make any sounds.
>>
>>23423820
P.S. The advice I've been giving out is used by the masters. It's the best advice even if it sounds the oldest and the simplest. The best thing a percussionist, or any musician for that matter, can do is practice their mother fucking asses off. Practice so hard that you don't want to practice ever again, and then practice again. I hold an extremely strict regimen. Once I get home from work it's straight to music for the rest of my day. I don't socialize anymore except for the internet and the few friends I have. I make time in my schedule to accommodate everything I want, and then to focus on my career, which is this. So I practice for fucking ever. I'm no where near perfect, but I improve all of the time.
>>
>>23423978
>>23423992
Damn, although I felt kinda peeved at first, feeling like you were talking down to me, that was really helpful. Thanks a lot, guitaranon. You should join us in the ITT CHAT bread. Other anons are trying to summon you.
>>23424006

I'm still skeptical about tonewoods, though. I don't hear the difference between electric guitars, but acoustic ones seem legit. It's probably my untrained ears, but there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding tonewoods anyway. What's your spiel on the whole thing?
>>
>>23422213
>Post favorite music
the antlers - hospice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSi_FE52TAY
PJ Harvey - to bring you my love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3a1Qzo0q6M&list=PLTUlTwlsdlFQhGYG43lE63cOThHmtSVLi
Nick Cave and the bad seeds - life from KCRW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0OWmE3_rJg&list=PLcXviRsCvzrBXDBGRQDLDjggHMiH4mDJf
Death Grips - come up and get me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMVSQVn97es
Björk - Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxWUwkTZSpg&list=PL9E3AFA4F6DD4648C
Nick Cave is a fucking genius and I dont know why nobody on this goddamned board knows him
I think come up and get me is the most unique track from DG, the way he just screams his lungs out is amazing!
I couldnt list all of my favorites since well there is too much of it.
I linked the albums because I think songs arent really representitve that often.
Hopsice is a prime example, it only works as an album.
>Ask musicians anything
How do you have the energy to practice every day?
How do you not get bored OP by doing it 10h a day?
Its a dumb question really, but I dont know what else I should ask.
Even though I can imagine the answer, I still want to get your feel for it.
>Talk about local scenes
We have a strong Hardcore/Drum and Base scene which is pretty cool.
Besides that we dont really have much of a scene here... I wished I lived in Hamburg or Berlin ;_;
>Rate on music taste
>>23422302
Not really my style personally
K.I.Z
they crawled out of a cardboard vagina, bloody and nacked besides the diapers.
Their background were 3 huge statues of themself resembling che gueverra or something which looked pretty dope
and I got carried around by the crowd :)
Animal Collective is comming to germany soon (yaay)
DG isnt comming anywhere :(
The US sucks but I wish I lived there for the concerts
(cont)
>>
File: snapshot (22).jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
snapshot (22).jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>23424339
My favorite concert has an aniversary this year and sooooo many good musicians are playing, but I cant go because Im saving up so that I can go to NY in the summer </3
>pic related
is me btw, forgot it with the first post
>regarding you guys music discussion
I only play a lil bit of the guitar and I dont know shit.
Couldnt even understand half your conversation.
Still was pretty invested reading through it!.
You seem to be a pretty cool and interesting OP,
I admire passion a lot and you dont seem to lack any.
Your drumming was awesome, btw! Love the style.
Reminded me (as a freestyle n00b) a lot of the Birdman soundtrack.
Never stop!
(also please join the Discussion thread)
>>
File: IMG_9284689246928.png (386 KB, 410x677) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9284689246928.png
386 KB, 410x677
>Post favorite music
I respect and listen to everything!
>Post Instruments
Piano for 15 years and also a producer.
>Post experience
Like I said, been into music for 15 years (started when I was 5, now I'm 20) and for the largest part I was into classical (broader term, not just the period), film music, video game orchestral soundtracks. I started out writing and orchestrating shit on paper. Then I started producing orchestral stuff with a DAW and as time passed I started listening to waaaaaaay more shit and right now I just love/wanna make everything.
>Post your music
Not proud of this since it's random shit I make (haven't really started my professional thing yet), but anyway:
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-anadiotis
>Share music stories
I'm just glad I found music. It's like I have a dream and purpose in life.
Well, if I had to pick one favorite musician, I'd probably go with John Williams for so so so many reasons. But again, I love everything and have so many influences.
Err, nothing comes to mind right now. But I'd like to give you a tip. If you keep listening to something over and over you'll eventually like it, it's how I got to expand my musical horizons.
>Talk about local scenes
Not a lot happening over here in Greece unfortunately.
>Rate on music taste
I'd rate my music taste 10/10 but just because I'm open to anything. No matter what it is, I'll give it a chance, pick it apart and analyze it. And if I don't like that one piece of music in particular I'll research that "genre" and find pieces I really love.
Surprisingly I don't have that much concert experience. There's this time I saw the Vienna Philharmonic in Athens and like, Knife Party live last year in Mykonos. I also performed in a musical with a full orchestra last year and we got to travel around Greece so that was cool.
>>
>>23424352
>visiting NY in the summer
YO /SOC/ CHAT MEETUP
seriously, we should meet up if we can
what are you visiting for?
>birdman soundtrack
yoyoyoyoyo antonio sanchez is my god
you gotta check out the first 5min of this at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUC98v_r-yc
he did some albums with Pat Metheny and Chick Corea I think are worth checking out
he also has some killer albums with his own group
oh yeah and he married Thana Alexa and backed her up on her debut album
I'm currently obsessed with Thana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5d3Aexdzog
>>
>>23424856
>soc chat meetup
Yeah man I would be really glad if we could meet up!!! I didnt want to annoy you guys with it even though I know a few of you live near NY because well its the real life and all and I wasnt sure if you would be down for it.
Im coming over there with some friends of mine and we´re just going to explore the city for two weeks in july
>drummidy drum drum
Imma check out all of it, I love good drummers.
Zack Hill from Death Grips is one hell of a crazy motherfucker aswell. I love hella because of him. Even though he has a pretty different style compared to antonio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0
>thana
her voice is sooo fucking good
and shes a qt
>>
>>23424977
Motherfucker I will greet you with open arms. Hopefully we can get JP-san to show us the places he used to squat haha. We need to organize this shit. As long as our schedules don't fuck us over, I'm pretty confident that we can make it work. I've met up with online friends irl a couple of times and it was awesome.

>Zack de la Hill
Dude I'm already on board. I've listened to almost all of his shit already, except for the DG albums. Have you checked out his collab albums with Omar Rodriguez Lopez?
>Thana
dude I was swooning hard until I found out via facebook that she and Antonio shag. From that point, I was intimidated by Antonio's resting-bitchface in their videos together lolol xD (actually sobbing Dx)
>>
>>23425156
>meetup
Should work, I dont have any conrete plans in those two weeks! Maybe we can go on a concert or something.
>drums
The antonio sanchez vid you posted was awesome! Especially after the 10min mark. But that Sax was also such a fucking beauty!
>Zach hill
You havent listened to DG yet? And nah I dunno Omar Rodriguez, wanna link?
>Thanna
Yeah, why do Jazz guys always look so fucking intimidating!
>lolol xD (actually sobbing Dx)
kek
>>
>>23425174
>concert
YES YOU READ MY MIND
I'll try to look for shit I like and throw them at you so we can settle on one or two.
>beauty sax
I can't get over the saxophonists that he plays with. They're all amazing. Even in Thana's band. I love the nerdy looking dude, Donny McCaslin in her band. Sadly, his solo stuff is too prog rock so I was kinda disappointed.
>jazz and resting bitchface
yo that's truuuuuu
I think it's because they're thinking hard
...about which qts in the audience are looking at them lol
>>
>>23425194
>I'll try to look for shit I like and throw them at you so we can settle on one or two.
Imma do exactly the same!
>theyre all amazing
true. But I do have a fable for drumms and sax.
>jazz playas
I bet jazz chicks are even more wild than theater chicks. Oh how I envy them!
>>
>>23425174
oh yeah almost forgot

this is basically TMV + Zach Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6DvejXXJRo

this album has no vox, and it's more improv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n6g2ZJxlao

>>23425214
Dude we're gonna make this happen. Let's reconvene in ITT CHAT and gather as many people in the area as possible. I mean, we don't all even have to stick together imo. It'd be cool to just meet up and grab some grub with as many /soc/ anons as possible.
>drugs and sex
superior instruments
>jazz chicks
oh man back in my hometown, there was a jazz pop band with an amazing tall qt singer, and the entire band had fucking chops. I got to hang out with them a couple of times, although I was autistic af. The qt sat next to me and talked to me for a little bit. Oh man...
but I'm pretty sure she was shagging with the drummer because she lived with him, and he was a little bit of a chad
sigh
such is life
>>
File: 1455587935226.jpg (27 KB, 670x605) Image search: [Google]
1455587935226.jpg
27 KB, 670x605
>>23425262
>zack hill and TMV
holy shit that was soooo good!!
What does vox mean?
>meetup
yeah, lets move that convo to the discussion chat. And I agree with you that the more the merrier.
>such is life
Sad but true
>>
File: picture193.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
picture193.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>23424339
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? You just met someone who knows, my friend.
>Energy to practice
Answering with another question since music is my job: How do you sit at your job and work everyday 5 to 9 without losing your mind? Honestly I'm probably expending tons of energy and sanity, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Writing music is like taking chunks of yourself and recording those chunks until your chunkless and then die of not having chunks. Some of the best musicians though are the chunkiest I will say that. Lots of sponduli here.
>>23424352
Thanks for the strong comments anon. I will be sure to provide links in the coming months to upcoming projects.
>>23424856
Nice taste. Antonio is sex.
>>23424977
"I'm starving"
>>23424138
Good I'm glad I could help. I just want the best for any young fledgling musician out there. ? And I'm being summ-
>>
>>23425861
>nick cave
man youre getting better with the second
>how so much music
Well Im still in school and lemme tell you how I get through it: I halfass it. I dont even turn up all the time and if I do, you can be sure Im not fully concentrated.
I imagine practicing music is something that is very intimiate, hard and exhausting, I for example cant practice more than an hour daily.
>probably expending tons of energy and sanity
Thats what makes it to a passion probably, youre fucking yourself up a bit, but it still fills you with exstacy.
>chunck metaphor
fucking kek
its true though, atleast when I look at the great musicians, or any other art (fuck Dali).
>im starving
wut? context please
>>
File: fav.png (961 KB, 554x954) Image search: [Google]
fav.png
961 KB, 554x954
>>23422213
>Ask musicians anything
What inspired you guys to take up music and what keeps you going?
>Post instruments
I play Piano and Violin. I've recently started learning how to play the Ukulele but singing is my greatest passion
>Post experience
I've been singing since I was a teenager. I usually perform for my church and Intervarsity group.
>Post your music
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YPoBHYNG1E
I'm really proud of this one. Sorry about the poor quality the only recording I have of it is from a video I uploaded and so I had to put my mic up to the speaker.
>Share music stories
I remember when I was performing for my high school's talent show I was so nervous that I was certain that I was going to get booed off stage. Luckily my school mates showed mercy and I one 3rd place.
I mostly like Christian themed music for obvious reasons. What I like about it is the reassuring message it give me that no matter how bad I think I have it at that moment it'll all be over soon and everything will be ok. It helps me keep my chin up because I know God is always there with me.
>>23422258
>All that experience and equipment
I envy that. What would you say was the hardest thing about deciding to drop everything and moving to Chicago and turning a new page or was it all forced on to you at once?
>>23422285
I've actually listened to System of a down before. What is you favorite song? Mine's Soldier Side
>>23422323
How's learning thew drums going for you? I've always wanted to learn but I'm too poor to afford lesson or a kit.
>>23422338
Dude that is freakin sick! I gotta meet up with you and talk about doing a gig together :D
>>
>>23425981
Is this the real life
>>
>>23425981
Learning has been not too shabby so far.

I got my kit used off a facebook page for selling/trading gear for $350. Was gifted a very slightly better kick pedal and bought a second boom stand. Overall spent less than $480 or so.

Lessons would be good I think but I'm just teaching myself because I don't care if I'm mediocre/progress very slowly.

>Ask musicians anything
>What inspired you guys to take up music and what keeps you going?

I've been really into punk and emo music since high school. Now that I had enough disposable income for a kit I bought one.

Also my good friend who's an amazing guitarist and lyricist kept pressuring/reassuring I would be his drummer for a 2/3 piece band we would make...which is happening very shortly now.

So I guess I do it for fun (jamming with him is hella fun) and use it as a creative outlet that my studies/work doesn't provide.
>>
>>23425309
vox = vocals

>>23425861
Who are some of your favorite jazz albums? Also, fav drummer and fav guitarist?
>>
File: picture195.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
picture195.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>23425920
If you're half assing things in your life, maybe you should reconsider what you want to do. I find that music was the best thing because I knew it from birth, it helps other people/community, it makes me happy, and it doesn't feel like a chore. Think about that for your own sake and future, because I know that I've thought a lot. Also "I'm starving" is what Zach Hill says in the middle of his practice video.
>>23425981
You have great vocal technique. Speaking as a producer, I would say that you should lose a little emphasis on your vowels. What kinds of warm ups do you do? I always have my vocalists 'tune' themselves before they play. Etudes, pronunciation, lip and tongue sounds, Ohs and Ahs and EE's etc... Other wise, you have great control of your middle register. Remember that training to make your voice reach higher notes is possible, but training for lower notes isn't always possible. If you ever record with really nice mics too watch your dynamics. The voice is powerful when placed in front of a mic, so much so that it can heavily distort the recording given positioning and dynamics as factors. On one other note, your voice sounds great for ensemble vocal groups like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VmlF2HIN8
>Chicago
It was forced on me, but it was almost easy to leave GB because it's cultureless, and I was lied to for about 5 years straight.
>freakin sick
Thank you, I have 10's of thousands of dollars worth of my life stocked up in one room so it's nice to hear people appreciating it. It takes a lot from my life to provide it for myself.
>>23427385
>Jazz
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Vince Guaraldi Trio - Charlie Brown Christmas (No Joke)
Dave Weckl - Master Plan
Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane
The Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop OST 1 (No Joke)
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk
just to name a few...
>>23427434
Thank you for your kind words true believer. Fav guitar is the blonde one.
>>
>>23427385
>also fav drummer and fav guitarist
...shit... hmm..
Drummers: Bill Bruford, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Carl Palmer, Thomas Pridgen, Stewart Copeland, Tim Herb Alexander just to name a few
Guitarists: Steve Howe, Carlos Alomar, George Harrison, George Van Eps, Greg Lake, Robert Fripp, Steve Hackett to name a few more
>>
>>23422258
YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk63Psr3wzY
COVER THIS^

AND UPLOAD IT TO SOUNDCLOUD

(maybe in a skiffle style)
>>
File: 1454685971888.jpg (164 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
1454685971888.jpg
164 KB, 450x360
>>23427835
I think I'll take that challenge as long as this thread is alive in the morning.
>>
File: gifpal-20160229151352.gif (766 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
gifpal-20160229151352.gif
766 KB, 320x240
>>
File: working.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
working.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>23427835
>>23428875
>>23430162
I'm workin on it.... Arranging...
>>
>>23430485
Im hyyyyped
>>
>>23431339
Let's keep this thread alive. If it dies, I'll restore it, but I've arranged about 5 guitar parts so far. It just takes awhile to record these days because of moving to Chicago. What with other people you live with and noise and their free will and shit. lol It's coming though!
>>
>>23432091
I will keep this thread alive my man
>>
File: comfy.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
181 KB, 1280x720
The only concert of importance I've gone to was "Danny Elfmans: Music of Tim Burton Films" and it was the singular most magic moments of my life. Nearly cried like a little bitch multiple times throughout the concert.
As for the rest of my taste its pretty all over the place most being stuff from the 70s and 80s. Classical instrumental stuff, rock, punk rock, new wave, etc etc. Also Bob Geldof is a god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024UcB1m7Do
>>
File: picture122.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
picture122.jpg
151 KB, 1280x720
>>23432144
Oh cool, a Boomtown Rats fan. :) Some of my favorite New Wave goes to Siouxsie and the Banshees, Squeeze, and XTC. Great stuff. Good simple but deep pop. So deep that I find myself in China the next day.
>>
File: 1454055707158.png (416 KB, 624x619) Image search: [Google]
1454055707158.png
416 KB, 624x619
bump
>>
File: 1457044510032.jpg (235 KB, 676x673) Image search: [Google]
1457044510032.jpg
235 KB, 676x673
not today
>>
File: 1457001971535.jpg (193 KB, 1492x1172) Image search: [Google]
1457001971535.jpg
193 KB, 1492x1172
last bump for me tonight

stay based music anon, awaiting your cover
>>
File: 25bestalbums.png (719 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
25bestalbums.png
719 KB, 700x800
Bumping with my aquired music taste
>>
good songs for guitar cover with a loop pedal?
>>
File: 1450949904886.jpg (403 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450949904886.jpg
403 KB, 1280x720
>>23434740
Radiohead - Bloom

Bumping for more hype, starting initial recording process now. Developed a lot of polyrythmic sort of parts. Keep the thread alive, the sauce is coming!
On another note, how about a new topic. If you could record an album, what is the title of the album/titles of songs on it, and how long is it?
>pic: somone posted this of me a few months ago. would like to know who did it :)
>>
File: Y ebin leaf.jpg (2 MB, 1876x1876) Image search: [Google]
Y ebin leaf.jpg
2 MB, 1876x1876
>>23434721
also bumping with acquired taste
>took me a while to get this perfect
I'll probably constantly remake this thing.
>>
>yours looks better then mine
...cant... let...that....be!
>>
File: 1444029616174.jpg (66 KB, 977x600) Image search: [Google]
1444029616174.jpg
66 KB, 977x600
>>23435107
>probably constantly remake this thing

the beauty and bane of topsters

we should all make one of these
I haven't updated mine in months
>>
>>23435350
oh fug, I actually might make one of these now

>>23435169
everyone knows aesthetics are counter productive to musical quality :^)
>>
File: 25bestalbums.png (2 MB, 1400x1500) Image search: [Google]
25bestalbums.png
2 MB, 1400x1500
>>23435606
>implying
you just dont want to get BTFO by my visualy pleasing a e s t h e ti c s
Well its too late now, brace your butthole:
>>
>>23435671
P L E A S I N G
L
E
A
S
!
N
G
Damn I thought that said Faust instead of Feist, I still have yet to access Faust and The Residents, then and only then will I vibrate at a high enough frequency to transcend pleb status
>>
File: germanwave.jpg (384 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
germanwave.jpg
384 KB, 1920x1080
>>23435840
Dunno Faust and the Residents, but Feist is chill as fuck!
Watchu think of Beefheart?
>>
>>23435954
>Beefheart
disdain
I refuse to give them another listen

>The Residents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcI5rNR5TGM
>>
>>23435960
Thanks for reposting them! You posted them two weeks ago or something and I got that song stuck in my head since then.
>Beefheart
wut
he has some great tunes m8
>>
>>23435969
>great tunes
were
>>
>>23435983
t-trout mask replica is pretty okey I guess
>>
File: douche.jpg (87 KB, 1080x1291) Image search: [Google]
douche.jpg
87 KB, 1080x1291
Used to play piano a lot but ben sort of drifting away from it lately because I'm an unmotivated twat.

Listening to this album but particularly this song today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOaLjtR4mw
>>
>>23426003
I'm pretty sure it is.
>>23426907
Looks like everything is slowly going your way Anon. :) Good luck Anon and best of luck to you.
>>23427654
I've always wanted to do ensemble but I was never sure I was cut out for it. Now that I have the recommendation from a talented musician I will definitely try out now. Thank you Anon. I normally do sirens and kazoos before I start to practice along with lip and tongue trills and humming of course.
I'm sorry for taking forever to respond. I had to take care of finals and such.
>>
>>23422213
>>23422213
I've been playing drums for 15 years on and off. One of my bands is finally starting to pack bars, which is cool. Our next show is on the 12th and we have a decent size festival to look forward to in the summer.

My gear:
Vintage Sonor Phonic Beech drums
Rogers Dynasonic snare
Zildjian old K heavy ride
Zildjian K custom session crash
Vintage Zildjian hats

The Zildjian heavy ride is relatively new and honestly I will never play another ride again. It is literally butter
>>
>>23437975
Not old K, my mistake. Early K.
>>
File: picture191.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
picture191.jpg
122 KB, 1280x720
>>23437975
Very nice. Congrats on the festival! I think the next thing I wanted to add to my kit is octobans or something of the sort.

Update: I have a few things recorded, doing bulk recording tomorrow when I have time during the day. Get out your spaghettis and sponduli because it's nearly time for some sauce.
>>
>>23438377
You really know how to build tention, dont you?
>>
>>23437975
>rogers dynasonic snare
fuck man those things feel amazing. How much you get it for?
>>
>>23440169
$400 for a COB script badge in fair condition with all original hardware and snares (the kicker). It was a steal, actually, and I wasn't even looking for a deal. Since I use only a few pieces, I'm willing to pay good dosh to get the best stuff that is available.
>>
>>23442121
w8 this sounds almost exactly like the one I played
did you buy it off someone from the east coast of the US?
also did you buy it in person or online?
>>
File: Snapchat-6316971436822866650.jpg (53 KB, 591x972) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6316971436822866650.jpg
53 KB, 591x972
Yessss, I fucking love these!

My favorite artists as of right now:

First and foremost- Neutral Milk Hotel. alt-J, American Football, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Arctic Monkeys, Bon Iver, Cage The Elephant, Death Grips, Glass Animals, The Moldy Peaches, Gorillaz, Green Day, Hot Sugar, Jeff Mangum, Joyce Manor, Mac Demarco, Misophone, Modern Baseball, Moose Blood, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Pygmy Lush, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Say Anything, Sleep Party People, Slint, Stone Temple Pilots, The Antlers, Swans, Tame Impala, The Microphones, The Black Keys, The Front Bottoms, The Music Tapes, The Offspring, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Strokes, This Town Needs Guns, Tigers Jaw, Vance Joy, Weezer, Youth Lagoon

Not much locally, pretty old-people-geared town. I wanna go to the Modern Baseball-Joyce Manor concert so bad, someone come with me.
I don't know anyone at all with the same music tastes as me.

>>23436462
that's a wicked song! Liking that artist and that video.
>>23435671
Damn I like your taste.
>>23435107
COME WITH ME TO THE JOYCE MANOR CONCERT IN JUNE.
>>23435024
Dude I LOVE that slendy in the back. And your look, I dig everything about that picture.
>>23425981
dude ukuleles are so cool. I love bands that use more variation in instruments, like accordions and violins and ukuleles and shit
>>23424352
you are my wonderwall.
love the flannel.

>>23424339
lskilenfalijr your music is hnnng
>>23423195
HEY YOU LIKE THE MICROPHONES!! RARE YOU ARE.

>>23422323
HEY MAN
I play a lil bit of piano, not that great though haha.
>>
>>23443537
Holy shit that music
>marry me
>>
>>23445801
>tfw your ID changes faster then you can think
>>23435671
me
>>
File: Guitars.jpg (676 KB, 1600x1097) Image search: [Google]
Guitars.jpg
676 KB, 1600x1097
Rarely open /soc/ threads but saw this and figured I'd chime in on this.

>>23423978
>The wood a guitar is made of heavily affects its tone.
There's a lot of evidence to suggest that isn't true when talking about solid body electric guitars, but it's not something I focus on too much. Scale length, pickups, electronics, pickup positioning, and obviously your amplifier are most likely a much larger factor in tone.

>Strats are some of the loudest fucking guitars imaginable. Even without any pedal effects or post processing, they are super loud.
This is almost completely down to pickup output, not the guitar model itself. I could take any guitar, throw an X2N in the bridge and it'll most likely be pushing more output than your guitar.

With that being said, raw output isn't really that desirable honestly. I've always found medium-hot pickups with a bit of front end boost produce a much nicer sound. Super high output pickups tend to have issues with clarity comparatively.

All of these are done with the same equipment using medium output pickups.
https://clyp.it/latko352
https://clyp.it/ctxv1gic
https://clyp.it/wwwes1he
https://clyp.it/lo2g50gk
>>
>>23422258
I live a few hours away

not really into the same sort of music. I'm going to record some sort of diy funk songs, and probably something similar to a band I'm sure nobody has ever heard of called Diogenes Club.

I've just been making weird electronic shit for a long time but I know I'm a really skilled producer and I want to do something serious but I don't have any connections and every 'musician' I meet is a flake.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.