[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so /soc/, how many of us here have been to psychotherapy/counselling/psychiatr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: reynolds.jpg (155 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
reynolds.jpg
155 KB, 450x360
so /soc/, how many of us here have been to psychotherapy/counselling/psychiatry? Give me your stories and experiences there, looking for dissertation ideas so anything odd or interesting that has happened in therapy...
>>
>>23276249
or clinical psychology etc.
>>
File: breakfast_allison_1.gif (1007 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
breakfast_allison_1.gif
1007 KB, 500x250
Only been to psychiatrist because of my phagophobia, so nothing special. But I like your picture so that's why I'm here. Sorry.
>>
>>23276344
i find that story...hard to swallow, but yes, great character
>>
>>23276352
Nice pun there bro. But I'll be honest with you, it's an illness you don't want to experience
>>
>>23276358
yeah, apologies for making light of it, couldnt help myself
>>
I see a psychologist every week. Have been for about two years. Most I think I've gotten out of it is just sitting down and actually talking to someone for an hour.
>>
>>23276380
thanks, is there anthing in particular about the talking that helps?
>>
During my DBT therapy my therapist got really attached to me being kind of flirtatious, she would cry more than I did, she was helpful but now I'm getting scared of people getting too attached lol (I'm also female, never been interested in women before)
>>
>>23276249
i had a breakthrough about my fear of intimacy, not as fun as it sounds but it's good to know why i'm scared of it
>>
>>23276385
I really don't know. It's probably just because I haven't done anything like it before. my reaction when in similar social situations is to just keep my distance, I never put myself into it. so mostly being able to relax when trapped in a social situation.
>>
>>23276249
I was the identified patient in a violent marriage from infancy. My father and mother are still in denial. I was seeing a behavioral psychologist, therapists, and pediatricians about my problems til I was 6 because I was psychotic almost every day. I could never tell the doctors, family, or police (neighbors called sometimes) the truth and my parents manipulated me to keep the secrets. By 6, I imploded on myself and lost a lot of who I was. My life has been full of torment because of the defenses I put up at that implosion. Pretty sure I have avpd.

All of the experts were fooled or could not intervene. My mom tells me their conclusion was that my IQ was high for a child and that my psychotic behavior was stemming from my frustration with my motor skills not keeping up. Either my mom made this up or she latched on to it because of how convenient it sounds. I know the truth and it petrifies me.
>>
>>23276408
so what was it? I've got something similar, like attachment issues or something.
>>
>>23276403
im the same. whenever a woman show interest in me I freak out, like she's asking me to marry her or something.
>>
>>23276441
Bro I think you let doctors get in your head. Six year olds don't know who they are. Honestly I think all the therapy and counseling fucked you up.
>>
File: bear.jpg (6 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
6 KB, 237x213
>>23276249
I went to a therapist for a couple of months for my depression, wasn't for me. I got on Zoloft and it made a hell of a difference. Currently off and feeling pretty good most of the time.
>>
I think everyone on this board could use some psychiatry
>>
>>23276739
I wasn't referring to the doctors actions. I imploded on expressing myself in any way that would bring my father's wrath on me or in any way that would put my parents or family in peril. I stopped acting out and accepted my reality. The original pain is from the abuse and helpless experiences. I had always been led to believe my childhood trauma was of my own doing by both parents.
>>
>>23276850
I guess I'm not direct in this. I am unable to communicate with others on an emotional level and it started with all the abuse I was forced to keep secret. My outbursts were a subconscious plea for help but it always felt like playing with fire and my anxiety of my parents overwhelmed me whenever I made a chance for myself to get help. My anxiety forced me to deny their abuse and to accept blame for the behavior as an irrationally troubled child with the potential to be a convict. I put out my own fires out of fear of consequences or fear of what I really wanted to come true. It is one of many patterns I've rolled into my personality.
>>
>>23276893
have you ever tried psychedelics?
>>
>>23277093
No, and I'm afraid to try. Weed was involved in my coming out of the fog tho.
>>
>>23276816
This
>>
I'm considering seeing a counsellor. I don't know it's worth it though.

I don't have any traumatic history or any addictions, but I am basically completely socially stunted. Nobody to talk to other than family and my mood varies somewhere between weepy and zombified. most people who go usually suffer from depression/anxiety etc. and I don't know it it's appropriate.

Sorry, I know it's not what the OP asked for, just needed to vent in a somewhat suitable place.
>>
>>23277376
just start with very small doses

>>23277484
do it if you want to put in the work. it wont make it easier, just sorta more well planned.
>>
>>23276249
I tried to kill myself in a drunken fury when I was 17. I ended up getting sent to the loony bin and became a sort of alpha male there. It was fun in some ways, sucked in every other way.
>>
>>23276249
only replying because you posted my waifu. do you wanna hear about my medication induced psychotic episode or the one induced by hypnosis? (which happened in the psychiatrists room)
>>
>>23276249
Am I the only one who thinks she was infinitely hotter *before* her makeover in the movie?
>>
>>23277626
no, fully agreed.
>>
>>23276249
I've been in and out of therapy for depression/considering suicide, but that's pretty bland.
>>
>>23277527
What do you mean by well planned? I know it won't go away overnight
>>
>>23277643
if you can afford it Viibryd has been working wonders for me
>>
File: 1447332104640.jpg (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1447332104640.jpg
18 KB, 256x256
>>23276249
I have never been to a therapy because i am paranoid that they will force sedatives on me.

I also do not wish to discuss my sick views on women with a psychiatrist.
Let's just say i view them as inferior good for nothing whores who deserve to be raped.
>>
File: twisted.png (316 KB, 641x316) Image search: [Google]
twisted.png
316 KB, 641x316
>>23278009
>>
I'm a counselor but I've never been to counseling.
>>
File: 20160129_162723.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160129_162723.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>23276249
Been in and out of therapy for years. Combination of everything from psychiatrist to psychologist to psychiatric social worker. Have a list of diagnoses and suicidal ideations every single day. Currently on prozac, welbutrin, and daily 3mg xr xanax. Therapy can help some if you find the right therapist.I hate the ones that you pay them to sit there and listen and say yeah, uh huh, etc without helping with any input. I've spent a week inpatient as well, was very helpful at the time. May end up back on a ward soon because I'm getting overwhelmed again.
>>
File: image.png (912 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
912 KB, 750x1334
>>
>>23276249
been in an out of them since I was a kid

had a range of experiences, some good, some bad
but the sky never fell in on me like I was worried it would
>>
>>23276249
The girl who talked me out of a really bad slump 2 years ago used this picture on Skype. She was the first person to ever show any unsolicited interest in helping me and she had a long conversation with me even though I could barely reply. That one act of kindness got me seeking out more social interaction, which eventually lead me to where I am today - 50 pounds lighter, much happier, working a great job and soon living with the most amazing girlfriend I could ever dream of.

I wish I could thank her but I lost my old contacts and all I remember is that she used this picture and was a cook.
>>
>>23276249
I've been to 4 psychs and 2 shrinks, the loony bin three times and lock-up once now. Major depression, STPD, PTSD and an undiagnosable psychosis involving IED. Currently completely unable to be medicated due to a strangely powerful reaction to most treatments.

Group therapy is a seething pool of fresh hell, since it's filled with people who want to one-up everyone's experience with just how fucked up and misunderstood they are or absolutely refuse to even cooperate because they think they're just so special and there's no way they could possibly relate to the filthy plebs surrounding them.

One on one is both the best and worst method I've experienced. The best I've encountered was a psych who spotted my reduced empathy and emotional capacity the very first session by asking me unrelated personal questions. From there he just worked backwards and pulled it all together in under 90 minutes.

The worst was going to a psych, relating my powerful urge to kill myself and the regularity I have violent psychotic episodes, her just nodding and saying "Oh yes. What else?" for an hour, then just sending me on my way with no mention of any sort of help or even a second session.

I'm just self medicating now. I carry a fast-acting sedative with me, so if I feel an episode building I can just pass out in a toilet cubicle or my car until it subsides.
>>
>>23276249
I've been in and out of psychiatric care/therapy since I was young.
I remember my first real psychiatrist (I was about 14-15) being a lady named Jen. Jen was fresh out of school or something similar to that situation, and I was her first case kid. It was at a legitimate center for mental health (not a live-in one or anything, just a large government funded office for teen mental health crisis/family support, a very professional atmosphere generally)
I remember the first week while we were sitting down and discussing everything that had happened in my life so far, and how I felt, she started to cry.
I don't remember what I specifically said to prompt this.
I didn't know what to do because I hadn't cried or anything during this talk, she just started bawling and had to excuse herself.
She was really nice to me, and went out of her way to do things like ordering us breakfast every so often or giving me literature that she'd purchase.
Sometimes she would pick me up for our appointments together or give me rides to school.
She once printed out 500 cheesy inspirational quotes from google and gave them all to me in a folder to look through when I wanted to kill myself (that one was odd).

I also lived in a secure facility for mentally disturbed teens for a year and a half when I was 16.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.