[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the meaning of life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_mdqi50anOz1qe784go1_500.jpg (75 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdqi50anOz1qe784go1_500.jpg
75 KB, 500x500
What is the meaning of life?
>>
File: image.png (38 KB, 588x331) Image search: [Google]
image.png
38 KB, 588x331
>>22787330
Music
>>
>>22787330
>>
>>22787360
Silly book tbqh
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87 KB, 1920x976) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87 KB, 1920x976
>>22787330
>>
>>22787330
there is no such a thing as a meaning of life. Life itself is an accident, or some sort of set up by superior intelligences. No matter, it is the same: the only meaning of life must be your own interpretation of the facts, always giving your best to respect everyone, including yourself.
>>
>>22787330
To make a change, small or grand doesn't matter, Just make sure the world is a better place than the world you started in.
>>
getting 7+s in rate threads
>>
Crush your enemies and see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.
>>
>>22787350
funny, i was listening to the downward spiral just now
>>
Everything sucks then you die
>>
>>22788911
I am as hard as fucking steel
>>
eradicate chad and create a unified robot empire free of normie oppression
>>
File: 3.jpg (508 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
508 KB, 600x800
>>22787395
>>22788892
>>22788929
>>22788934

Some great replies in this thread already but here's my £0.009 (roughly adjusted from US cents)

The universe is just here. No one has the slightest clue why anything exists or why life, specifically intelligent life, arose from out of a primordial inorganic soup. According to philosopher Nick Bostrom it's statistically far more likely we're living in a simulated universe than a real one, due to our own propensity to run simulations being extrapolated into a likelihood that technologically advanced civilisations of the future would do the same until the number of simulated universes outnumbered real ones many times over. Also, Boltzmann Brains.

None of this would really make any difference to how our lives work though because as with god, the problem of infinite regress would remain, i.e. where did the god/aliens/machines who made us come from, and where does energy actually come from? As for the 'meaning' of life, 'meaning' is an abstract human concept our pattern-seeking brains try to overlay onto reality in order to make sense of a system that is unimaginable in scope and complexity to our primitive mammalian brains.

It may well be that there are natural limits to what can be known just as there are natural limits to how fast an object with mass can travel. The more you learn about life, the more you realise you don't know, ad infinitum. Even artificial superintelligence would have a functional limit as molecular nano-computing can only become so small and run so fast, and that limit may prevent complete and total understanding of the universe. It's not possible to know such things as a human.

I've smoked a lot of DMT and desu I was left with more questions than answers. If you want life to be meaningful, just do what *you* care about and enjoy the present moment as best you can.

'You can't see the big picture from in here so don't try - keep your head down, look at what's in front of you!' ~Quentin, 'Cube'
>>
>>22787368
i'm pretty sure that's the point

>>22789020
i concur with this anon. outside insight from various scholars helped me put a lot of aspects of life into perspective, but it was amid the chaos of a vivid psychedelic trip that i realized the axiom that i had come across many times over the course of my life - that all meaning is subjective.

you can believe that life is a vast, layered series of causes and effects, or you can believe that each person is the master of his or her destiny, or you can believe any old explanation you want. however you look at it, you're both wrong, right, and every degree in between. we create meaning through language, so language is the true fabricator of reality; at least that's the view of general semantics. for me, that's the most plausible explanation i've come across.
>>
>>22789020
Perfect post. Thanks for sharing.

Also, would blast off with.
>>
>>22788941
much dis desu
>>
>>22787330
Well, the meaning of life is actually just to reproduce for the sake of reproducing. Much less meaningful than most people want to hear.

The way to happiness is actually much more inspiring: The purpose that humanity all shares is to simply experience life, to see, to hear, to smell, to feel and to taste every good thing that life has to offer. Do not dwell on debts of money or character, but embrace the good in everything that touches you, and embrace with goodness everything you touch.
>>
>>22789922
Anybody remember those stupid rubber bracelets? WWJD?

Jesus would quit his job, wander the countryside, spend a lot of time fishing, and convince other people to do the same. That's the real meaning of life.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.