[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nerd general? Post pics, creep on the one girl who will post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /soc/ - Cams & Meetups

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: 1354823997956.jpg (604 KB, 1458x1626) Image search: [Google]
1354823997956.jpg
604 KB, 1458x1626
Nerd general? Post pics, creep on the one girl who will post here, talk about your recent campaign/game/vidya.

I've got my character ready for a DnD session tomorrow.
>>
>>23916072
I'm sure there'll be more than one girl. But until then helloooo. What's your DnD character like? I want to get into DnD but it's a little intimidating given I'm a girl and I'm 23 so I feel like I'm a little past that initiation age.
Other than that, I've been replaying a few Rare games on Xbox One, can't really find a new game I'm into, fallout 4s replayability blows, and I might start KotOR again.
>>
>>23916085
not really ever too late to get into DnD, just find some people like-minded, me n my mates got into it for a bit out of nowhere
also league of legends is pretty ok, OCE server
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 598x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 598x600
alternative metal, ambient, atmospheric black metal, atmospheric sludge metal, avant-folk, avant-garde metal, black ambient, black metal, blackgaze, dark ambient, dark cabaret, dark electro, dark folk, darkwave, death doom metal, death metal, depressive black metal, djent, doom metal, drone metal, ebm, electro-industrial, electronic, experimental, folk metal, funeral doom metal, futurepop, gothic metal, industrial, industrial hip hop, industrial metal, industrial music, industrial rock, industrial techno, martial industrial, melodic black metal, melodic death metal, neoclassical darkwave, neue deutsche härte, nordic folk music, nu metal, pagan black metal, post-hardcore, post-industrial, progressive metal, rap metal, sludge metal, technical death metal, traditional doom metal, visual kei
>Skype:
la.furra.darketa
>>
>>23916085
Howdy.
Character is a former military person with powerful skills and a mistrust in authority.
You can download the basic rules for free, and be limited to about half the character options, but it's free. just use an app dice roller or visit a website with your friends. It can all be free and just use your imagination, it's never too late to get started. You just have to be comfortable with who you play with, and if it's not a good group then just leave them and play again.

KotOR is great. I'm replaying it since I found a way to get it for free on my phone.
Playing Bloodborne currently. Having slight issues with Rom The Vacuous.
>>
The time is nigh.
>>
My brother and I splurged and bought a few eternal master mtg packs and pulled a vampiric tutor. Shit was cash
>>
File: 1343939499230.jpg (122 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
1343939499230.jpg
122 KB, 534x800
Fuck yeah, let's nerd it up

I'm currently reading Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series, have been on a Sword&Sorcery binge for a while now. Started with Kane the Mystic Swordsman and then did Conan and boy do I love S&S more than epic fantasy lit. It's just a lot more to the point, much faster moving and a lot less romantic subplots that go nowhere. I'm never touching Wheel of Time again.

I did a bit of DnD/GURPS when I was younger but it's hard to get into a proper roleplaying mindset. It only takes one minmaxing powergamer to unbalance a campaign and trying to police what your friends play like feels wrong.
>>
>>23918099
I haven't gotten a magic packet in ages, I'm so behind on what's going on.

I know how that is. I get satisfaction from doing cool things and having a character I like people I play with enjoy having characters that can do anything. Having a penelty in a stat adds to who you're character is. These guys think that it's an insurmountable hindrance if they're not great at everything.
>>
Hi friends
>>
I'm cutrently re-reading through A Song of Ice and Fire while playing the GameCube Animal Crossing and the new Doom
>>
>>23916072
I've played a couple of DnD games with my friends, but our usual GM doesn't have time for us anymore :( I've been meaning to learn how to do it.
>>23918328
I've been playing Gamecube too!! Real talk tho, I forgot how fucking hard Mario Sunshine is.
>>
I really need to clean off my work bench so i can finally finish my Metal Slug Metal Bug model i got years ago at C2e2 thats been collecting dust
>>
>>23918373
Yeah, those platforming segments get my palms almost too sweaty to play.
>>
>>23918460
Right?! And the game devs knew it would be hard, so they filled the fuckin levels with extra one ups, so you get stuck in a endless fucking loop of failure!!
>>
>>23918373
You can download a portion of the DMs guide online for free, and DMing can be pretty easy. I've done it for 5e, yet I've never played it.
>>
>>23918509
I'll look into that latter. Tanks xD
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (202 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
202 KB, 1920x1080
>>23916072
Well i didnt play since a long time but will probaly cum buckets when bannerlord comes out. Someone hyped for it?
>>
>>23918724
The thread is pretty wild
>>
>>23919418
Oh yea, I'm disappointed in the amount of pandering I got as the only girl.
I am hyped for We Happy Few though
>>
>>23919529
Calm down, it's DnD time.
>>
>>23919541
Shit your right, I'm sorry to interrupt this extremely active thread with my video game peasantry.
>>
>>23919552
Fucking pleb.

What's We Happy Few about?
>>
>>23919564
It's a rouge-like horror survival game. It takes place in this weird drug filled city in England, and all you gotta do is escape.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc67_BrCdPc
>>
>>23919596
Ooh, that sounds exactly like something I like. Similar to Bloodborne that I'm playing now.
>>
File: image.jpg (320 KB, 1211x1267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
320 KB, 1211x1267
>>23919529
Pander to this!
*unzips penis*

The closest to DnD I'd do today is LARP cuz I'm pic related and would wanna be like Zed or some shit. A super ninja. LmafOP.
>>23916072
Cute thread.

Um, I guess the only nerdy things I keep up with is capeshit movies, various anime/manga, LoL with my bro and friends back home, and that's about it..

Am I even a nerd.?
>>
Anyone playing overwatch on Xbox One?
>>
Saving up some cash for DOOM and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, until then I've been killing time with Destiny (which is a huge letdown) and some Terraria/Minecraft.
Have a bunch of last-gen games I've been meaning to pick up or finish as well like Fallout NV, Sleeping Dogs and Dragon's Dogma, hopefully I'll get to that over the summer.

Always wanted to get into D&D but I've never had the opportunity, and I don't see myself being comfortable enough to really get into it face-to-face with a group of people I don't know. Introvert's curse I guess.
>>
>>23916072
At what point did nerd/geek crap become cool? Like I kept my head down at school all the way to uni and then I look up and everyone's a geek. It kinda feels like I've been pushed out my own thing.
>>
>>23920257
Welcome to post-2007 America
>>
>>23920257
Pretty much this
>>23920285 people like hero movies, people like Big Bang Theory.
Also I assume you're an adult now and don't need to worry about jocks beating you up.
>>
>>23920299
>you're an adult now and don't need to worry about jocks beating you up
You mean they stopped beating you up?
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 580x870) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 580x870
>got back into Monster Hunter
>waiting on Generations
>going to pick up Kirby and Odin Sphere very soon
>been playing Dark Heresy lately and finding myself enjoying the 40K lore more
>Overwatch casually

I'd rather creep on qt nerd boys.

I don't count it as nerdy but I do spend a lot of weekend nights playing board games with friends.
>>
>>23918243
Well coincidentally it was a masters set so a bunch of old cards got reprinted lol

>>23920434
Board games could be considered nerdy depending on what it is

Anyway, what do you all think qualifies being a nerd? Star Wars and all the DC hero movies are very popular lately, is it still nerdy if it's so acceptable and liked? 40 years ago "nerd" was an insult and now people call themselves nerds, what all your thoughts on it?
>>
File: 1461103576253.png (694 KB, 1213x1405) Image search: [Google]
1461103576253.png
694 KB, 1213x1405
>>23920626
Well they're certainly not Monopoly.

It's still nerdy yes, it's just normal now. A nerd is still a person that loves their vidya and anime or comics, etc. They just aren't the cliche nerds of the 80's or 90's. Everyone has a mini-computer in their pocket and films starring all manner of comic or anime character are popping up. People might roll their eyes or laugh behind their back but nearly everyone has some kind of 'nerd' tendency.

I consider myself a nerd because I love vidya & anime and always will. My room is littered with game items and my collection of games is pretty extensive. I'm not ashamed of it all and it's still as satisfying making a friend that is a fellow nerd.
Anyone can be one as well.

That all said, I think things like Big Bang Theory make for a bad image.
>>
>>23920434

Oh man.

Odinsphere is great. I played the original when it came out, but they've definitely smoothed out the gameplay ala the Muramasa Vita port--almost to the point of being too easy.

But it's gorgeous on the PS4.

And I'm still hoping for at least a console Monster Hunter again.
>>
>>23920741
The next game, Generations is coming to the WiiU, I believe. At least the guy at the store said so... so we'll see.

I bought the game on the PS2 as well way back when and I loved it. It was a worthy challenge at times and overcoming tough bosses felt amazing. Now that the port is out I'm going to enjoy it all again in its HD glory. Can't wait.

I've been through the threads on /v/ and I'm convinced it's definitely easier than the original but that fleshed out combat? HNNNNNNNGH.
>>
>>23920749
Hammerbro here, I'm looking forward to it too, but I'll be on the 2DS version. Gonna be starting clean, because the challenge is more fun!
>>
>>23920749

Oh word? Yeah, I started with PS2 monster hunter as well, and have been grinding for bullshit material drop rates ever since.

Generations looks great, honestly. I'm not really a conscious consumer when it comes to Monster Hunter because I generally buy the games regardless so I can scratch that itch.

Still kinda miffed that the new 3DS isn't compatible with the analog peripheral. That weird little plastic nipple isn't nearly as comfortable as a second analog stick.
>>
>>23920767
>Hammerbro

Mein negro. I was all about that Long Sword/Charge Blade but smash monster heads is SO satisfying.

I'm on the 3DS and I'm overly excited. I'm loving the fun of playing 4 for the time being but when it's time, I plan on being on the hype train from the beginning.

>>23920769
Sadly my roommate bought one of those peripherals and he learned the sad truth. So he has to rub the nipple when we hunt. It works but he complains that it doesn't do it justice.
>>
>>23920767

>hammerbro

Goddamn why are we so fucking great?

Stunning all day every day.
>>
>>23920779
So glad 4U ditched the underwater battles, but I missed a few things.

First was how easy it was to farm up resorces and that sweet dosh. Just run outside, mine a bit and avoid the little giggis, and cheese it if a Purple Ludroth or Qurupeco showed up.

Now I gotta do 5+ gather quests to do what I did in 35 minutes back in 3U.

Fuck the Dalamadur.
>>
>>23920831
The fact they got rid of that and went with more vertical maps and the monster mounting made for some great hunts.

Yeah, it can be lengthy and the grind drove off a lot of people I knew. I stuck with it though and hit G before anyone. Felt good strutting around with that G1.

>Fuck the Dalamadur
You, sir. I like you. Fuck that mountain humping death snake.
>>
Somebody tall to me about neuromancer. Nobody gets my references!
>>
>>23920851
Dalamadur literally worse than Frenzy from Bloodborne.
>>
>>23920285
>Welcome to post-2007 America
I'm from the UK

>>23920299
>Also I assume you're an adult now and don't need to worry about jocks beating you up.

Never had to worry about it in the american sense, just had to avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's more that I'm a socially inept person, partially cos at school I've never met anyone with my interests and my area was weirdly void of geek crap. And now it seems like everyone's into it and I missed out on my own thing.
>>
>>23916085
I'd suggest a different system. TTRPG can be great, though. I started at 23 myself. But yeah, DnD and Pathfinder are pretty common, so it'll be easier to find a group. If you've got a couple friends, something rules-light like Fudge is nice.
>>
>>23918162
I know this feel. I'm playing in a high optimization game right now, so it's less of an issue, but when I played in a roleplay-heavy game, we had a few people that fucked it up for everybody. Two were highly optimized and couldn't roleplay. The others just couldn't roleplay. It was awful.
>>
>>23920244
Roll20 is a great resource for getting into DnD! Online games galore! I'm a Pathfinder, so I can't speak directly to how populated the DnD LFG is, but it's likely quite full.
>>
>>23921749
I think it was a lot more isolating to be a nerd prior to the internet boom. Once the net became big, it was so much easier to connect with people who shared your interests. You weren't completely fucked if you didn't have close friends who shared your hobbies, because you could find a local group on the internet. The tech boom in general helped too. High paying "nerd" jobs and such. It's kinda like how listening to rock used to be rebellious, but now it's common. Things become normalized and niche communities become commonplace. It can feel pretty shitty growing up when the subculture you're a part of was stigmatized, then seeing it become popular. Kinda feels like a slap in the face.
>>
>>23921055
How bout those Panther Moderns?
>>
>>23920257
Being a nerd is not cool. Acting like you were a bit is.

I mean, all those fuckers call them nerds/geeks but when you ask them about their skilling in any game or what their favourite arthouse film is they look at you as if you are from another planet.

Also, the internet happened.
>>
>>23921811
>It can feel pretty shitty growing up when the subculture you're a part of was stigmatized, then seeing it become popular.

To be honest, it wasn't stigmatised persay, where I grew up, it just didn't seem to exist there but I ended socially inept nonetheless.

So it's a slight kick in the nuts see to socially adjusted geeks.
>>
File: 1464668084186.jpg (66 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1464668084186.jpg
66 KB, 320x240
>there are people browsing 4chan right NOW that unironically self identify as a "nerd"
>>
>>23921997
>I mean, all those fuckers call them nerds/geeks but when you ask them about their skilling in any game or what their favourite arthouse film is they look at you as if you are from another planet.

Actually, they're pretty knowledgeable, which is why it's so irritating.
>>
>>23922018
Then maybe I had just bad encounters over the last few years. Actually anyone who I met and who titles themselves a nerd are unable to talk in-depth about things I care about.

I mean, sure, they scratch the surface, but not a single one gets exited or even cares about things my long time troll friends and me are exited about.

I mean, liking Marvel is not nerdy, god damn it, its needy.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.