[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What real life weapons (that could be carried by a person) could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: muvluv lise hair twirl.webm (315 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
muvluv lise hair twirl.webm
315 KB, 1280x720
What real life weapons (that could be carried by a person) could puncture (not shatter or blast) ~4 inches of diamond plating?

Would it be possible for an organic weapon made of earth-like substances (and small enough to be hidden on a normal human sized body) to puncture ~4 inches of diamond plating? i.e. bone spear, wood-like bullet projectile etc..

Also, would it be possible for an organic creature to form a metal utensil that would be as strong as a tempered one? What about a diamond utensil?

In case you're wondering, I was reading some zerg-ish stuff on /tg/ and it got me thinking.
>>
Diamond is heavy and shatters easily with concentrated KE. This is why you only see diamond tools for cutting in CNC machines and the like, and not diamond tanks.
>>
>>8209123
So ~4 inches of steel plating be more resistant then?
>>
>>8209123
What if it was organic material with "the strength" of diamond? That changes it right?
>>
>>8209132
does not exist
>>
>>8209132
What?
>>
>>8209132
No.
>>
>>8209130
the best "hard sci-fi" armor plating material i could think of would be metallic glass. some company just a little while ago was able to make some with a plasma sintering process and the resulting material is quite impressive.
>>
>>8210096
>>8210107
>>8210111
>>8210130
Alright then.

Could an organic weapon puncture metallic glass?

A hydralisk's scythe-like claw is kind of what I was imagining as a weapon. Except, human sized and not as sci-fi-ish.

Thank you guys for posting.
>>
>>8210143
>Could an organic weapon puncture metallic glass?

depends entirely on the physical action. generally the denser the material, the more brittle it is. so while the claw might not puncture in the way a bullet would penetrate a steel plate, it could chip/shatter it.
>>
>>8210143
>>8210157
video somewhat related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9OPLOVNk0
>>
File: Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_1.gif (31 KB, 286x260) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_1.gif
31 KB, 286x260
>>8209119
Depends on how much time you have to grow the thing, and whether the material in question (since we're apparently abandoning diamond) has a chemical vulnerability you can exploit.

...also how many steps beyond biological you're willing to take, as technically, all artificial materials are biologically produced, in that biological entities invent and make the machines that produce them. Perhaps the machine that produces the counter-material can be biologically grown as well, and integrated into whatever kekeke sci-fi critter you have in mind. Keeping in mind that you have some sort of biological super-intelligence hive mind to biologically engineer all this crap.

Taking into account that said hive mind also seems to have some sort of access to the magic of The Warp on top of that, all bets are off.
>>
>>8210175
Wow that plate looked like less than 2 inches of thickness. Seemed pretty sturdy too.
I see how that tungsten ring ties in with the diamond I mentioned earlier. Thank you.
>>8210189
>Keeping in mind that you have some sort of biological super-intelligence hive mind to biologically engineer all this crap.
Now that you mention it, why didn't the zerg make weapons? Their collective intelligence had to be at least equal to the Terran. It's kind of dumb to stick to just claws and scales when you could have those AND guns and armor.
>>
>>8210211
>Now that you mention it, why didn't the zerg make weapons?
Don't they? I mean what is that in >>8210189 's right hand? Don't the ships have beam weapons?

IDK, I don't play a lotta 40K. I just like watching "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device".
>>
>>8210218
I think you might be getting two different games mixed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4
I probably should have posted this in the beginning. The Zerg are the aliens and the Terran are the people.
It's a pretty cool cinematic anyway so everyone should check it out even if sci-fi isn't your thing.
>>
>>8210230
Its not much of a mix up, zerg are shameless expies of tyranids, even though its denied officially its not really a secret
>>
>>8210230
Blah, yer right - not awake... I don't play Star Craft either, so I wouldn't know what they have.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.