[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
[Sci] question about conciousness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 100_4796.jpg (455 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
100_4796.jpg
455 KB, 1280x960
This question pertains to reincarnation

How does identity work in terms of reincarnation? Identity and consciousness is a very tricky thing to discuss because under all of the thoughts and memories, who am 'I' really? and who's to say that he who is 'I' will not experience consciousness again within the length of eternity?

Am I being silly here? I've just been thinking about the possibility of being reincarnated in different scenarios in which the universe would permit civilization to occur over and over again in a reality where time has no limit.
>>
>>8075395
Reincarnation isn't real.

Put down the bong.
>>
>>8075410
>Identity and consciousness is a very tricky thing to discuss because under all of the thoughts and memories, who am 'I' really? and who's to say that he who is 'I' will not experience consciousness again within the length of eternity?
>Am I being silly here? I've just been thinking about the possibility of being reincarnated in different scenarios in which the universe would permit civilization to occur over and over again in a reality where time has no limit.
I'm not even smoking. I'm just having a bit of a struggle with the idea of identity and consciousness. and what comes after death. I'm really kind of just letting my thoughts drift with the idea of time and reality.
>>
>>8075410

What do you think happens when you die?
>>
File: second-coming-christ.jpg (524 KB, 1198x794) Image search: [Google]
second-coming-christ.jpg
524 KB, 1198x794
>>8075395

Reincarnation won't happen until the world ends
>>
>>8075418
>What do you think happens when you die?
personally I believe that you're brain ceases to function and you loose conciousness. Beyond that I can't be certain what happens, because in all reality, we don't know for certain. But my best guess is that our bodies dissolve into the earth and eventually will be sucked into the sun along with every other planet, followed by everything eventually being sucked into black holes, followed by another big bang after eons and eons have passed.
>>
>>8075425
I really don't want to talk about catholic christian theologies right now, anon.
>>
>>8075418
Nothing happens to you, because you no longer exist. What happened to you before you existed? The question is nonsense.
>>
>>8075395
One of the best analogies for describing a human being, I found, was the one from Gurdjieff, the one with the carriage.
In it the personality is the driver, the carriage is the body, the horse is the emotions and in the carriage is the master, the "real you". Personality is everything fake about you, everything that you have accepted through outside influence and mostly or fully without question, fashion is a good example, or popular music.
Why is it good?
Because everyone listens to it and such a big group of people can't be wrong; if you don't you are a contrarian or hate fun.

Why do you believe in evolution, do you know anything about it?
No but what's the alternative, creationism? That's dumb. Etc., etc.

Anyway the problems arise from driver, the personality, which is shattered and replaced anytime a new trend comes out, more specifically when the driver starts deciding the direction you are going to take and your inner voice is snuffed out. The driver can deal with the horse and carriage but he doesn't know where and when to go and he is susceptible to outside influence.

I have found this description of identity/personality to be really accurate in the past few years, when I first read it I said bullshit, but know, after almost reaching the end of college, and after meeting many new people, being thrown in many new situations and observing myself while making decision, what the mind said to do, and what this other strange voice said to do, and than observing the consequences when I acted by my feeling or by listening to my mind (personality/identity) what I found out is that the mind is only useful when it listens to you and not when you listen to it.
It is flaky and easily influenced, easily amused and hedonistic, like a 5 year old spoiled child.
>>
>>8075492
cool analogy. If you don't mind my asking, what did you major in? Just curious.
>>
>>8075427
Other than the various grammar errors, this becomes more philosophical and edging towards /lit/ territory.

Sure the identity of life and consciousness can be debated but that's a topic that /lit/ does much better than /sci/ can.
>>
>>8075518
>>>/lit/8039916
>>
>>8075418
You loose the ability to be an individual observer of the universe. You become exactly what you were before you were born.
"You" won't seize to exist, you will be part of the universe, but you cannot observe it from within in a way like now.
Meh don't really know dude I smoke alot.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.