[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the steps to build a smartphone from scratch, including
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
What would be the steps to build a smartphone from scratch, including making the tools to mine the raw materials to build the machines that build the machines that build the machines etc. to ultimately make a smartphone?
>>
>>8210213
Please provide a clear definition for "smartphone". Because I can explain how to build a handheld computer with a radio but some of the manufacturing in modern cell phones is incredibly complex.
Why do you want to anyway? Bad NIH syndrome?
>>
>>8210213
>scratch
Fug, since you're including the challenge of mining raw materials the usual
- Buy a Panda Board or Pi
- Buy a TFT
- Buy a LiC-Mg battery, thin form.
- Use plastic or metal or wood to craft case
isn't what you're after.

Process would look like this
- Use a stick you find inna woods to move from Stone Age to the 2nd industrial revolution

The first machine is the blast furnace, stone age Ax, chisel, etc. It's the big one, as you only have a stick to do it.

From there, things get pretty easy-- your primary limit is FUEL, wood is pretty good, but labor intensive, and to make the most out of green wood you either need time, or pyrolysis reduction--charcoal.

Next, you want to take your blast furnace and smelt iron and metalic slag from the earth, You get at least 10 kg of iron per 1000 kg of dirt, so get digging with yoru stone age tools.

Make iron tools, and also use green sand casting to form the basic parts for a lathe.

Since you have no tool steel, re-building your shit lathe into a good lathe will be quite a challenge, but that's the next step.

With your lathe, you can next build a drill press, band saw, etc -and you're at the 2nd industrial revolution.

Amid this you'll also make a dynamo and begin converting heat into electricity, which opens up a host of elements for your utility from the piles of slag from your crust smelting open strip mine where a forest was

the NEXT big hurtle is development of a semiconductor fabricator. This is a chicken-egg problem, as you need robots to make SCs, but you need SCs...

The solution is to employ clockwork as your boot strap.

You'll also need a silica crystal purification unit. These are quite trivial-- but, they require a TERRIFIC amount of energy to run. Hopefully you'll have found a wide coal deposit amid your strip mine

The lithography units, oxydation ovens and so forth are all quite simple machines /once/ you have precision MFG.

Tl;DR: industrial boot strap to semiconductor fabrication.
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 523x281) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 523x281
>>8210213
If you wish to make a smartphone from scratch, you must first invent the universe
>>
>>8210236
>The solution is to employ clockwork as your boot strap.
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>8210222
You want me to pick a random smartphone? You can do that. I don't want to build one; I'm just curious as to how it would be done or how it was done, starting with a complete absence of technology. It doesn't even have to be a smartphone, but just anything that could reasonably be considered a modern computer.
>>
It sure makes you think how far we have come from swinging in the trees in Africa. Maybe if you want some insight, try searching primitive technology on YouTube. Then go on to research the bronze age, iron age, etc. Then the technologies from classical period onward
>>
>>8210253
That's retarded, if you can do that you can make wires for winding motors and coils for relays. And you're really not far away from point contact transistors.
>>
>>8210253
>What did you mean by this?
Consider if you need a screw driver to open a box with screw drivers in it.

FUG!

You'll need to boot strap your opener, so you look around and find a coin. It's too damn thick to get at the screws!

So, you use a file-- or even just a rock-- to grind the coin down so it can do the job.

A clockwork employed /as/ a semiconductor or precision MFG boot strap means f.ex, cutting gears for high manual actuation differentials, arranging valve based logic 'circuit's running on water pressure rather than electricity-- that sort of thing.

That a bit clearer?
>>
>>8210213
>>8210236

Slow down, cheif. Remember: keep it simple, stupid

step 1: figure out how to make a chip
>>
>>8210275
> swinging in the trees
*running through the savannah
>>
>>8210213
you got about 1000 different industrial processes between sticks and rocks and that phone.
>>
>>8210283
If you go back far enough, our ancestors were swinging through the trees. That is what I meant.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.