[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello friends. I would like to address a serious issue. I see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /s4s/ - Sh*t 4chan Says

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7
File: billcosplay.jpg (56 KB, 446x636) Image search: [Google]
billcosplay.jpg
56 KB, 446x636
Hello friends.
I would like to address a serious issue.
I see people online mistakenly calling duck tape, 'duct tape'. I was recently 'corrected' by an ignorant person for my correct usage of the term duck tape.

'Duct tape' sounds like a Babelfish type machine-translation problem: idioms should not be snipped up and translated word-for-word: ruban adhésif en toile ("sticky canvas tape") (note space) is what French people call a product which many English speakers call "duct tape". A variation is ruban entoilé - note acute accent and the fact that entoilé is an adjective, not a noun and that it's un ruban (masculine gender). A further linguistic pitfall is that apparently the sticky stuff was originally "duck tape" - the original 1942 Johnson & Johnson product was made from "duck" cloth (what non-textile folk call 'canvas') and rubber adhesive. Somehow by a kind of Chinese whisper effect over the years "duck" morphed into "duct". I guess the initial 't' of 'tape' kind of duplicated itself backwards and stuck itself (!) onto the end of 'duck'. This can happen if you say it quickly enough repeatedly. Ruban means tape or ribbon but just because of that we should not suppose "en toile" means "duct" (or duck!). The 'duct' name leads many people to imagine that it's good for repairing... ducts. The prestigious Lawrence Livermore Laboratory found that 'duct tape' was about the worst thing you can use for repairing or supporting HVAC ducts. By the way the British "gaffer tape" is different.
>>
File: 700.hq.jpg (49 KB, 1400x1060) Image search: [Google]
700.hq.jpg
49 KB, 1400x1060
i was going to disagree heartily with you but you proved you're point well good day good sir i will say duck tape now on thank you
>>
>>4435704
BTFO
>>
File: 1463216111198.jpg (6 KB, 202x289) Image search: [Google]
1463216111198.jpg
6 KB, 202x289
>>4435665
im not one of the variety to give a heck about your miniscule mechanisms. i believe that this post is of the utmost squabbo and for that i shall pay you penance thuztly: bepin.
>>
File: duck tape.jpg (23 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
duck tape.jpg
23 KB, 355x355
>>4435766
nice dubs
>>
File: DUCT TAPE.jpg (102 KB, 978x720) Image search: [Google]
DUCT TAPE.jpg
102 KB, 978x720
wow i guess the behemoth company 3M dosent no what the frick duct tape is smdh what the heck
>>
After the war, the duck tape product was sold in hardware stores for household repairs. The Melvin A. Anderson Company of Cleveland, Ohio, acquired the rights to the tape in 1950.[15] It was commonly used in construction to wrap air ducts.[19] Following this application, the name "duct tape" came into use in the 1950s, along with tape products that were colored silvery gray like tin ductwork. Specialized heat- and cold-resistant tapes were developed for heating and air-conditioning ducts. By 1960 a St. Louis, Missouri, HVAC company, Albert Arno, Inc., trademarked the name "Ductape" for their "flame-resistant" duct tape, capable of holding together at 350–400 °F (177–204 °C).[21]

In 1971, Jack Kahl bought the Anderson firm and renamed it Manco.[15] In 1975, Kahl rebranded the duct tape made by his company. Because the previously used generic term "duck tape" had fallen out of use, he was able to trademark the brand "Duck Tape"[citation needed] and market his product complete with a yellow cartoon duck logo. Manco chose the "Duck" name as "a play on the fact that people often refer to duct tape as 'duck tape',"[22] as a marketing differentiation to stand out against other sellers of duct tape,[23] and because they wanted to represent a fun and imaginative business culture to their customers.[24] In 1979, the Duck Tape marketing plan involved sending out greeting cards with the duck branding, four times a year, to 32,000 hardware managers. This mass of communication combined with colorful, convenient packaging helped Duck Tape become popular. From a near-zero customer base Manco eventually controlled 40% of the duct tape market in the US.[16][22]
>>
File: 876178.jpg (57 KB, 800x430) Image search: [Google]
876178.jpg
57 KB, 800x430
After profiting from Scotch Tape in the 1930s, 3M produced military materiel during WWII, and by 1946 had developed the first practical vinyl electrical tape.[25] By 1977, the company was selling a heat-resistant duct tape for heating ducts.[26] In the late 1990s, 3M was running a $300 million duct tape division, the US industry leader.[27] In 2004, 3M invented a transparent duct tape.[28]

According to etymologist Jan Freeman, the story that duct tape was originally called duck tape is "quack etymology" that has spread "due to the reach of the Internet and the appeal of a good story" but "remains a statement of faith, not fact." She notes that duct tape is not made from duck tape and there is no known primary-source evidence that it was originally referred to as duck tape. Her research does not show any use of the phrase "duck tape" in World War II and indicates that the earliest documented name for the adhesive product was "duct tape" in 1960. The phrase "duck tape" to refer to an adhesive product does not appear until the 1970s and isn't popularized until the 1980s, after the Duck brand became successful and after the New York Times referred to and defined the product under the name "duct tape" in 1973.[2][29]

source: your fuckin' mom (go ask her you little pleb)
>>
moderators please stick this thread to the top of the board.
>>
>>4435805
[citation needed]
>>
Additionally, it's actually "take" and not "tape"
>>
>>4435944
With duck tape or duct tape?
>>
File: samenumbers.jpg (113 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
samenumbers.jpg
113 KB, 400x300
>>4435944
doubles ... nice.

Your fortune: ( ´_ゝ`)フーン
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.