[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How ironic are you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /s4s/ - Sh*t 4chan Says

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15
File: tumblr_ngxcpbzbcX1rtcfaqo1_500.png (150 KB, 498x299) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngxcpbzbcX1rtcfaqo1_500.png
150 KB, 498x299
I'm so ironic that I am making this thread
>>
i'm so ironic you can suck my *bleep*
>>
File: oycyNRT.png (177 KB, 403x313) Image search: [Google]
oycyNRT.png
177 KB, 403x313
I'm so ironic, I haven't bathed in weeks
>>
i'm so ironic that I replied to this thread
>>
I'm ironically not checking the double in this thread.

>>4366100
nice hundo

Your fortune: Outlook good
>>
>>4366053
The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.
>>
File: possible alternative.png (12 KB, 687x231) Image search: [Google]
possible alternative.png
12 KB, 687x231
I haven't been ironic since 2014, OP.
>>
No one on [s4s] is even ironic anymore. It's already happened, you didn't listen.
>>
>>4366489
i listened, i just didn't care
>>
>>4366490
You are the father.
>>
>>4366489
This didn't happen to [s4s]
this did:
>>4366483
>>
>>4366493
But that's too complicated! I can only understand misquoted old meme men.
>>
>>4366495
I feel you brah
>>
>>4366495
well my little friend let me go ahead and spell it our for you then dont worry i'll take care of you :^)
to explain the importance of my chart lots of people seem to think that post-irony is just double irony, being ironic about being ironic, but what they don't realize is that it's actually a form of sincerity you can see this in First-Wave Kaufman Post-Irony, the New Millennium Proto-Post-Irony (think Comedy Bang Bang, some Adult Swim productions, and various Youtube channels that came about near 2010. These are still in the irony location, but are important in the move towards absurdism and the move away from disparaging irony to irony with affection [the move away from anger to either positive or negative nihilism is an important of post-irony]), and finally the current pinnacle of post-irony: Meme Post-Irony as seen on [s4s] and increasingly around the web.
>>
>>4366489
In a way, what Tarantino has done with the French New Wave and with David Lynch is what Pat Boone did with rhythm and blues: He's found (ingeniously) a way to take what is ragged and distinctive and menacing about their work and homogenize it, churn it until it's smooth and cool and hygienic enough for mass consumption. Reservoir Dogs, for example, with its comically banal lunch chatter, creepily otiose code names, and intrusive soundtrack of campy pop from decades past, is a Lynch movie made commercial, i.e., fast, linear, and with what was idiosyncratically surreal now made fashionably (i.e., "hiply") surreal [...] D. Lynch is an exponentially better filmmaker than Q. Tarantino. For, unlike Tarantino, D. Lynch knows that an act of violence in an American film has, through repetition and desensitization, lost the ability to refer to anything but itself. A better way to put what I just tried to say: Quentin Tarantino is interested in watching somebody's ear getting cut off; David Lynch is interested in the ear.
>>
I'm so ironin that..uhh...(died by ironicness)...
>>
>>4366500
But how do I know whether this explanation is ironic or not, or how many levels of irony I need to be on to understand it!?
MEMES HAVE GONE TOO FAR
REPENT REPENT
DELETE THIS BOARD NOW
>>
>>4366508
Is it possible really to love other people? If I’m lonely and in pain, everyone outside me is potential relief—I need them. But can you really love what you need so badly? Isn’t a big part of love caring more about what the other person needs? How am I supposed to subordinate my own overwhelming need to somebody else’s needs that I can’t even feel directly? And yet if I can’t do this, I’m damned to loneliness, which I definitely don’t want … so I’m back at trying to overcome my selfishness for self-interested reasons.
>>
>>4366508
>how many levels of irony I need to be on to understand it!?
just take a look at the graph friend
infinite levels
so many that you are no longer ironic
>>
>>4366508
taking memes too far is the whole point
we're attempting to deconstruct a movement
>>
>>4366517
I'm
More ironic than you
>>
>>4366537
I'm not ironic at all so that's pretty easy
>>
>>4366537
i think you are missing something here friend
if you are more ironic than us than maybe you belong on /r9k/ this is a place for sincere love of memes only
>>
>>4366539
Who wouldn’t love this jargon we dress common sense in: "formal innovation is no longer transformative, having been co-opted by the forces of stabilization and post-industrial inertia," blah, blah. But this co-optation might actually be a good thing if it helped keep younger writers from being able to treat mere formal ingenuity as an end in itself. MTV-type co-optation could end up a great prophylactic against cleveritis—you know, the dreaded grad-school syndrome of like "Watch me use seventeen different points of view in this scene of a guy eating a Saltine." The real point of that shit is "Like me because I’m clever"—which of course is itself derived from commercial art’s axiom about audience-affection determining art’s value.
>>
nigger invasion
>>
i hope in my reaches for more irony i eventually accidently find myself ironically happy
>>
>>4366557
fake it til you make it
>>
>>4366562
>>
>>4366566
The first time suggested to me that "fake it 'til I make it," I wanted to punch them in the face. I actually think it's a completely bullshit line of reasoning for a lot of reasons. I'm sorry about saying it to you. I kind of intended it as a mild joke, but I can see that your struggle is real, and simply telling you to pretend to be happy until you're really happy is absurd. I suppose it could work for some people, but there's a reason people tell you to "just be yourself." It's because it's impossible to completely eradicate the person that you really are. You can pretend to be something you're not for decades but eventually you'll crack. I've never seen it done effectively by any person. Maybe some people can. I don't know. I think it's silly. I'm sorry that you are suffering though. I can only offer you my sincere hope that things get better and to offer you the fact that most of us are also suffering, even if it is in secret.
>>
>>4366585
...and suddenly it occurred to him that the birds, whose twitters and repeated songs sounded so pretty and affirming of nature and the coming day, might actually, in a code known only to other birds, be the birds each saying 'Get away' or 'This branch is mine!' or 'This tree is mine! I'll kill you! Kill, kill!' Or any other manner of dark, brutal, or self-protective stuff—they might be listening to war cries. The thought came from nowhere and made his spirits dip for some reason.
>>
>>4366585
>>4366590
thanks friend, i am right now sort of looking for myself. trying to set a sad bar, how sad is normal and worth day to day life. im sure we'll all be fine in the end. whatever may happen at least i might get out of whiny depressed mode before i go
>>
>>4366608
Corporations are getting better and better at seducing us into thinking the way they think—of profits as the telos and responsibility as something to be enshrined in symbol and evaded in reality. Cleverness as opposed to wisdom. Wanting and having instead of thinking and making. We cannot stop it. I suspect what’ll happen is that there will be some sort of disaster—depression, hyperinflation—and then it’ll be showtime: We’ll either wake up and retake our freedom or we’ll fall apart utterly. Like Rome—conqueror of its own people.
>>
>>4366611
well said with nice get to boot
>>
>>4366612
that guy's just been posting passages from David Foster Wallace books and essays for a few hours. It's nice though I really like reading his stuff
>>
>>4366620
Infinite Jest is my favorite book.
Just more proof that New Sincerity and Post Irony are very much one in the same.
>>
>>4366628
I finally finished reading that earlier this year. As soon as I was done I realized that I'd have to read the whole thing again at some point.
>>
>>4366630
I know exactly the feeling.
I tried to pass it on for my own vicarious enjoyment, but the person that I got to start reading it didn't finish it.
>>
>>4366635
Yeah, I recently sold a ton of books because I'm moving, but I held on to my copy of that because I need to read it again. I ended up reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again not too long after that, and I came across the audiobook version of Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, which has DFW actually reading it out loud himself and it's pretty great. Not sure if I should go for The Pale King or The Broom of The System next though as far as his stuff goes.
>>
>>4366640
I need to look into his other works soon. I know a person whose opinion I value fairly highly that has The Pale King as one of their favorite books.
Have you ever read The Master and Margarita? It's not really related to Infinite Jest, but for whatever reason it comes to mind.
>>
>>4366693
I've heard that The Pale King is one of his best, I suppose I'll get into that next.

>The Master and Margarita
Never heard of it. Just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting though. Thanks for the rec
>>
>>4366702
No problem, anon. It's one of my favorite books.
I hope you like it!
>>
>>4366707
Nice, everywhere I'm seeing it mentioned on the web seems to praise it as well. I just grabbed an ebook version of it and I look forward to reading it. I literally started reading A People's History of The United States by Howard Zinn tonight though so it'll have to wait until I get through that.
>>
>>4366713
>A People's History of The United States
!!!
I just downloaded that! I hear it's so good.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 600x402
> do the birds still shit in the trees son

Your fortune: ( ´_ゝ`)フーン
>>
>>4366757
I've been meaning to read it for a long time and finally decided to just go for it. I only read a few pages but it seems like it's going to be a good one.
>>
File: captain_phillips.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
captain_phillips.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
Help meeeee
>>
>>4366759
That's some deep thinking anon.
I'd reeeeethink a position and glean at the opportunity to boooooo and claim the back hand whole hair side slap to said answer
>sad reply
>>
>>4366053
I have zombie irony
/4366053
>>
>>4366189
>inb4 TL;DR
>>
I'm so ironic I posted every post in this thread
>>
File: download (1).jpg (3 KB, 119x90) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
3 KB, 119x90
IM SO IRODIC THAT YOU CAN SUK MY NUT
>>
>>4366566
nice doggo
>>
>>4366759
bork
>>
SUCC
U
C
C
Get on my level.
>>
>>4366513
>infinite levels
This is a common urban myth, irony levels cannot exceed 9. After that the irony begins to destabilize, degrading at a rate of L(t) = L(0)e-(λt).
>>
File: AOK.jpg (8 KB, 261x181) Image search: [Google]
AOK.jpg
8 KB, 261x181
>>4366100
>>4366500
>>4366511
>>4366566
>>4366611
>>4367233
>>4367700
>>
Sandniggers
>>
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 60x65) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 60x65
fuck i understand the reference
>>
>>4366053
I'm so ironic I
>greentext
>>
File: 1450741740485.jpg (267 KB, 1875x1813) Image search: [Google]
1450741740485.jpg
267 KB, 1875x1813
>page 10
no
>>
>>4366189
David Foster Wallace fan?
>>
>>4369362
Yeah keep reading the thread
>>
Surely the 'irony' would work better if left to develop through randomness and not forced, daily reminders are cool and shit, but, y'know, jussayin.
>>
>>4369370
no you don't understand we already went past irony, it's all about that new sincerity
>>
To infinity and beyond
>>
>>4369372
Ironically un-ironic. That's too much irony.
>>
File: 1461623221367.png (267 KB, 469x357) Image search: [Google]
1461623221367.png
267 KB, 469x357
*BRAAAAP*
>>
>>4370069
>69
This number refers to a sexual position when a boy and a girl suck each other's dick. The girl will ingest the boy's cum, and uses its nutrients to make her own cum, which the boy then swallows. It's an infinite loop.
So you're quite right.
>>
>>4370728
epic, simply epic, for the win
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-27-14-39-48.png (652 KB, 637x741) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-27-14-39-48.png
652 KB, 637x741
>>4370583
Intel
>>
Dumb ironyposters
>>
File: 4rzXHi6.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4rzXHi6.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
What's that? You want to ironically sniffe my farte? Ugh fine. *BRRRPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTT*
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.