[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this dangerous?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /s4s/ - Sh*t 4chan Says

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: vista.jpg (389 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
vista.jpg
389 KB, 1000x750
sup /s4s/,

is this dangerous? what will happen if i install it to my pc?
>>
Ye
>>
If you install Windows Vista on your PC, then your PC will have Windows Vista installed on it. I don't know how dangerous that is. I have replied to this thread. Well memed. Your thread has left me slightly perplexed, but not to the point of discomfort.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>4106497
I have replied to my own post and contributed little information. Please enjoy this thoroughly.
>>
Ye, it's dangerouse
Install some sort of free operating systam instodd
>>
>>4106494
Computer AIDS
nice nubs
>>
>>4106494
>>4106494
From the looks of it, it will install Windows Vista in some strange, foreign, northern european language onto your computer.

While the Windows Vista itself will be harmless, this strange language will confuse you and ultimately render your computer useless.
>>
>>4106504
>Czech
>northern european
>>
File: 1399591967112.jpg (538 KB, 1683x1725) Image search: [Google]
1399591967112.jpg
538 KB, 1683x1725
You'll be installing malware to your Personal Computer because Windows™ is not free as in freedom software. If you can't directly read the raw source code of the software, or manipulate it however you wish, then you can be 100% sure that it's doing something that you don't want it to.
If you care about your safety, your security, and your freedom, then I would advise against installing Windows™, and instead opting for a free OS, such as gentoo.
>>
>>4106505
I dunno, it's all goober-jabber to me

I just knew it was one of those snow-monkey languages
>>
>>4106494

I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of
>>
>>4106507
But what if the firmware of your computer, e.g. BIOS, or router is already infected by malware? Are you sure those only have freedom software on them as well? Have you personally manufactured your CPU and GPU from the specifications so you can be sure there are no hardware rootkits?
>>
File: 1401056423875.jpg (80 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1401056423875.jpg
80 KB, 600x900
>>4106504
>While the Windows Vista itself will be harmless
Hi Microsoft® Product Awareness and PR™ member
>>
>>4106518
That's why you purchase only parts made from open fabs and that don't require proprietary firmware.
>>
>>4106494
bouchneš
>>
>>4106494
Yes, it's dangerous, support for Windows Vista will expire in about one year and then you won't get any security patches.
>>
>>4106523
>32 bit
Is it even worthy to penetrate the trey
>>
>>4106516

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies wherever you see Linux in use.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:
Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
Thanks for listening.
>>
File: bottom fef.png (9 KB, 250x4000) Image search: [Google]
bottom fef.png
9 KB, 250x4000
fef
>>
>>4106571
kek
>>
>>4106571
lyl
>>
>>4106571
Also fef

Your fortune: Better not tell you now
>>
>>4106500
>>4106499
I remember when we use to check these, and everyone would say "nice dubs"
>>
Install Archlinux.
>>
>>4106494
XP Please.
>>
>>4106571
#walrused
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.