[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Texit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 2000px-Texas_flag_map.svg.png (86 KB, 2000x1952) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Texas_flag_map.svg.png
86 KB, 2000x1952
What do you think of Texas secession? It's totally unrealistic, but it's occasionally brought up both inside and outside of Texas with the general consensus of the discussions being "good riddance."

For fun I thought I'd look up some things to see both how the US might miss Texas, and how Texas might fair on her own.

Economy:
$1.414 trillion GDP, 9% of total US GDP #2 in US, #10 in the world
54 Fortune 500 companies, #2 in US
$238.38 billion in manufacturing output, 11% of US total #2 in US
$219.5 billion in federal tax revenue, 9% of US total #2 in US
Port Arthur Refinery and Baytown Refinery #1 and #2 in US, #8 and #9 in world
Port of Houston 229,246,833 tons of cargo #2 in US, #15 in the world
26.96 million people, 8% of US population #2 in US, #49 in the world
268,820 square miles of land, 7% of US total #2 in US, #74 in the world

Military:
124,796 total armed forces, #42 in the world
80,830 Army active duty, 15% of US Army #1 in US
33,878 Air Force active duty, 10% of USAF #1 in US
Pantex is only nuclear weapons assembly facility in US, in charge of nuclear stockpile maintenance
Johnson Space Center is an important NASA site, home of Mission Control, Astronaut Corps, training and research
>>
>>73888308
One point almost always brought up is that Mexico would invade and absorb Texas. This is ridiculous, Mexico's military is about the same as Texas' contribution to US military. Of course Texas' military strength would change on secession, but Texas has a much stronger economy than Mexico and could easily flesh out a full array of armed forces when confronted with national sovereignty, especially considering Texas' strong military culture and history.

Overall I think it's clear that while Texas wouldn't dominate, secession would be a large blow to US power and Texas certainly has the potential to be an important regional power. The US would be worse off, and Texas better off, than most Americans realize I think.
>>
>>73888308
>It's totally unrealistic,
Why
If a state wanted to leave the feds can huff and puff all they want but there is no way they could get the support of the people to go to war
>>
>>73888308
At the rate you guys are turning blue from mexcrement and Californians, I'd say go for it. Send all the Californians and legal mexicans to Texas, get them to secede, banish everyone in Texas. Bam! Country just got a little better.
>>
>>73888645
I don't think Texas would vote for it. I see it come up in news articles all the time but everyone I've talked to thinks it's retarded (and I run in pretty conservative circles). The political makeup of the state is changing, and we very well might be purple as soon as next election season. State government is way more conservative than the general population is, but if they tried to secede without the mandate of the people then there would be big problems.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 625x469
Texas is 90% percent beaner

With many tiny towns scattered throughout that are 95%+ white with mainly German heritage.

It's like living in a sea of filth I fucking hate this shithole. I can't believe Texas used to be like those small towns but every where. It's hard to imagine what that would be like.
>>
We catalans go first.
>>
if we seceded, then the US and Mexico would leverage their trade with us to their benefit and we would get screwed. Plus, doesn't the US control much of the waters around the Gulf?

it would be a trade disaster and leave Texas supermarkets empty, leading to civil unrest.
>>
>>73889012

It was pretty nice, dude.

t. Grew up in Texas
>>
>>73889246

What y'all need to do is find a cheap and surefire way to ship natural gas overseas. This would free you from your dependency on the US energy market.
>>
File: image.jpg (681 KB, 2111x1300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
681 KB, 2111x1300
>>73889333
Oh it's wonderful in those tiny areas.

I'll walk into a restaurant and it's like I walked into a small European town in Germany or Sweden there's so many blondes.

Texas and the south get a bad reputation for being dumb but the vast majority of stupid people here are non whites. Hispanics and blacks are almost always dumb as fuck.

It's sad to think these tiny white areas used to be representative of the whole state and even country.
>>
>>73889246
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Texas leaving would absolutely cripple US refining capacity, and we could always use that as leverage. We're also one of the most important overland shipping links between US and Mexico, and I'm sure we could use that as substantial leverage with at least Mexico and probably with the US too. Your point about the Gulf is a good one, Texas is particularly disadvantaged because while we have a decent coastline it's the furthest from the Atlantic that you can get, flanked not only by Florida but also Yucatan. That could be problematic, but I'm not sure it would be fatal. I don't think the US would actively interfere with food coming into Texas.
>>
>Separating from the north

Yes please.
>>
Alamo bump
>>
I thought I read somewhere Texas couldn't legally secede but we could split into five separate States for more power in congress or something?
>>
>>73891742
This would be ideal.

North east Texas needs to become a white haven
>>
>>73888308
Why split up a powerful and successful nation-state into two weaker entities?
>>
>>73891840
But thn the mexishits would try to flood that too anon
>>
>>73891947
I don't think we should, but if it did happen it'd be due to idealogical differences in the role of government.
>>
>>73891996
If Texas broke apart, could a state legally vet who could live there? (In one of the new states)

And also could that vetting system be very very strict (only whites)?
>>
>>73888324
>a large blow to US power
that's an understatement.

when you're fully leveraged the way the US treasury is, losing 9% of GDP puts you in a death spiral as international banks dump your bonds and trash your credit rating.

texas can secede without a fight, legally -- in spite of what a bunch of functional retards have been told by some op-ed article, or a postgrad shitter who spends his entire day on volokh conspiracy -- but we all know they'd probably still try to invade texas anyway, because public opinion would allow it.

but the US wouldn't even be able to pay its soldiers to stop it. so texas can secede and the US can't do anything about it except sit and spin.
>>
>>73892479
Theoretically anything is possible, though I'd assume conventions would be carried over from US law making movement and commerce generally open between the states.
>>
>>73891947
but i don't think texas would split apart, anon. it would just leave the weak and debt-ridden US.
>>
>>73892836
But is that kind of thing legal anywhere?

Could the people in office at a small town vet who lives there? Or is it illegal?
>>
>>73888844
1- and 2-year californians are actually leaving in droves; it's no longer a definitive net influx of them. they're coming here and finding out they can't get abortions, smoke weed in public, they have to see guns, and that jobs actually require you to work all eight hours of an eight-hour shift.
>>
>>73892222
And abandon fellow American citizens? That seems like the easy way out.

>>73892847
Kek. Texas would undoubtedly have to take a period of the US national debt though, wouldn't they? That was an issue during the Scottish referendum here.
>>
File: 7046979929_c4c6de21f1_b.jpg (104 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
7046979929_c4c6de21f1_b.jpg
104 KB, 800x534
>>73889012
Whites are still the largest group in Texas. Also even a good portion of the beaners have Texas Nationalism because "muh tejanos"
>>
>>73893030
No idea, probably not, and I'd doubt Texas federal law would allow it.
>>
>>73893172
Give it 10 years. Look at the ages of the people living here.

And I don't give a shit if they love Texas and have Texas culture. What does that have to do with anything? Texas won't be Texas when it's all beaners, regardless of what they believe in.
>>
>>73893065
that's a possibility, but, our state would be significantly healthier within that same year. right now, texan individuals send $200+ billion to the federal government in income tax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

that would go to $0, and all that money would be in the pockets of texans. they could do whatever they needed to do with it, whether through their own state government or via private initiatives.
>>
>>73888645
Worked well for the south.
>>
If secession happened, the major metropolitan areas (Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio) would see a huge exodus of lefties, as well as blacks and Hispanics. Texas as a nation wouldn't have the entitlement programs that it currently has, and the demographics would shift tremendously.
>>
>>73893911
That when the country was ok with losing 100s of thousands dead
Look how much people freaked out when around 5k died in Iraq in Afghanistan
>>
>mexico taking over texas
>ever

We have so many guns and veterans we'll be using mexicans to fertilize our crops.
>>
File: 1463112407645.jpg (730 KB, 1502x777) Image search: [Google]
1463112407645.jpg
730 KB, 1502x777
>>73888308
Best god damn state in the Union. Any other State is just shit stain in the underpants.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.