[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
psychology degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: psyko.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
psyko.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
Is studying psychology degenerate?
I always read about the Stem meme but I'm honestly more interested in exploring the human mind. Is it a meme degree or is it respectable. And what job opportunities does it have. Can you make money with this degree?

Not matter what you say, I'm still going to study it, I'd just like to hear other opinions.
>>
>asking pol if something is degenerate
>basing your lifechoices on some teenagers shitposts

just do what you like m8
>>
>>81448313

>The STEM meme

Psychology is a science.
>>
>>81448313
Probably not a good degree.

My mom's friend got one and she lived in her car as a vagrant for like a year.

Do what you want though.
>>
Drug dealer degree.
>>
>>81449021
A very, very soft science.
>>
It's an extremely competitive field and unless you study your ass off and get a masters good luck finding a job.

That said the future looks bright for the psychology field as the modern world heaps more and more mental disorders onto us, it could turn out good for you, especially if you get into the pharmacology side of things.
>>
File: fd282-bernays-quote-portrait.jpg (37 KB, 511x262) Image search: [Google]
fd282-bernays-quote-portrait.jpg
37 KB, 511x262
>>81448313

Isn't that what every dumb chick takes ? The history of psychology and its impact on our world is rather interesting but it's astrology-tier pseudo-science.

Check out the "Century of the Self" if you have the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
>>
>>81448942
yeah, that's what I wrote

>>81449021
But I wouldn't compare it with physics etc

>>81449083
sheeet

>>81449305
you really like words that begin with d? d d do y you want my d dick?
>>
>>81449575
I've watched that documentary. doesn't that documentary prove psychology is legit degree.
>>
>>81449571
I definitely am willing to sit down and learn.
With all the SJW etc more than half of the population needs psychological help in 20 years kek

>>81449575
yes many dumb chicks take it. But I'm a determinist and I believe that you can bring quite objective results.
>>
>>81449305
Heilt enig kamerat :)
>>
>>81449021
No, it's not.

OP, go for psychiatry instead.
>>
I think it's a whole lot like studying fine arts or history or something else "soft" like that. You could spend all your time smearing period blood and feces on a canvas and calling it art or trying to justify your AIDS lifestyle by finding vague references to homosexuality in historical sources, or you could actually dig into the subject and try to learn something useful. All three have worthwhile aspects, but you need to make your own way in it unlike if you go for something that's trying to fit you with the specific skills you need to be an engineer, doctor, etc.

From what I hear this 'make your own way' model applies fully to whether or not you will make any money
>>
Study what you're passionate about if you want to succeed- if it's psychology, go for it!
>>
File: Jensen_wallpaper.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Jensen_wallpaper.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>81448313
>Is studying psychology degenerate?

Nah, you can do good work in psychometrics, destroying liberal delusions.

see:
http://humanvarieties.org/
https://drjamesthompson.blogspot.com
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/
https://menghublog.wordpress.com/tag/iq/
https://www.tu-chemnitz.de/hsw/psychologie/professuren/entwpsy/team/rindermann/publikationen.php
>>
>>81450081
But here you first have to study medecine and afterwards you can specialize in psychiatry which isn't exactly what I want to do. It's probably the same in the US.

>>81450223
Okay thanks

>>81450462
thanks for the links
>>
File: 1447058003293.jpg (26 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
1447058003293.jpg
26 KB, 400x449
>>81448313
You probably wont get anywhere with it. It is interesting and I would argue that it is scientific but there are many retards studying it and polluting its name.

Its really hard to get anywhere with it but the information you acquire can be used everywhere, in any job, personal life and such.

You need to have masters and experience. If you dont find experience you will never get any job in it. Its very luck based honestly in finding a work. No use in trying to guilttrip yourself.

Also being a psychotherapist requires a lot of money and another years of study after university.

I guess in america it would be the easiest to get a work in it or if you want to diagnose kids its somewhat possible to get into. All other areas are pretty luck based but my experience might be different as people dont trust psychologists in slovakia.

t. psychologist
>>
>not going for neurology

c'mon now son
>>
File: Zedtown.jpg (295 KB, 528x2712) Image search: [Google]
Zedtown.jpg
295 KB, 528x2712
>>81448313
Finishing up a dual degree in psychology and exercise science. Psychology isn't a meme degree but it's pretty useless. The only thing a PSYCH BA will get you is into grad school for psych. I got the exercise science degree so I can work as a strength and conditioning coach and/or a personal trainer while I'm in grad school/if I want to take a yr off (which I'm leaning towards).

TL:DR don't do it unless you're willing to make a 5-8 yr commitment if you want to use it to get a job.
>>
Are you interested in becoming a therapist?

No? Get a good degree instead.
Yes? Keep on truckin my dude.

ps. Psychology is one of the most SJW fields out there aside from the hard liberal arts
>>
>>81451437
Yeah. Unfortunately since it's grouped in with the "soft sciences" you'll find plenty of gender studies types in the classes you'll take (professors and students). You just have to weed through the bullshit like anything else.
>>
File: 1461985181030s.jpg (4 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1461985181030s.jpg
4 KB, 200x194
>>81448313
I graduated with honors from UVA majoring in Psychology and work in a restaurant. STEM is not a meme. My friends who went to the most degenerate university in the state (Radford) who didn't fall for the "do what you like" meme are doing a lot better than I am I can assure you that.
>>
>>81450798
papers you should definitely read:

big overview paper on intelligence research:
sci-hub.cc/10.1146/annurev-psych-120710-10035

overview paper of national differences:
sci-hub.cc/10.1002/per.658

overview paper on racial differences:
http://flksite.com/phaseblog/uploads/ReviewOfNisbettsCritique.pdf

survey of iq researchers:
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00399/full
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/2013-survey-of-expert-opinion-on-intelligence.pdf
https://www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1997mainstream.pdf

also interesting but more focused on ideological biases in psychology:
http://docdro.id/WJsC2fl

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~jussim/PolibiasClaremont.docx

jussim is great generally:
https://scholar.google.de/scholar?oi=bibs&cluster=4624475746875727118&btnI=1&hl=de
>>
>>81451854
Why can't you find a job in psychology? When I had severe depressions, it was a pain to even find a therapist who accepted new patients.
>>
>>81452176
>sci-hub.cc/10.1146/annurev-psych-120710-10035
fix:

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1146/annurev-psych-120710-100353
>>
>>81448313
Psychology is a huge meme degree. I know like 5 people with one and they all work at restaurants/bars.
>>
>>81448313

Hello OP, it's mostly BS.

Study science instead and minor in psychology.

it is a meme.
>>
>>81452176
>sci-hub.cc/10.1002/per.658
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/The-g-factor-of-international-cognitive-ability-comparisons-the-homogeneity-of-results-in-PISA-TIMSS-PIRLS-and-IQ-tests-across-nations.pdf

man i fucked up those links...
>>
>>81451854
that sounds pretty bad

>>81452176
thanks I will definitely look these papers up.
>>
>>81450798
>you first have to study medecine and afterwards you can specialize in psychiatry

This is exactly what makes this degree much more useful.
You will still explore the human mind, but you will do it with science instead of bullshit.
>>
do neuroscience sir

psychology is as meme as degrees come but if you're at a great school and you pull a high gpa you've got as good a shot at a finance job as anyone
>>
Get a graduate degree in I/O psychology and you'll be making 100k + as a manager or consultant in no time because HR is full of women who don't have any idea what terms like "reliability" or "validity" mean
>>
Stem is a meme. Stem locks you into working for others, a focus on humanities lets you have others work for you.

I was a history major, got a JD practiced law for a few years before getting into a business opportunity. We hire STEM majors for our basic analysis jobs because they're are too many so we can get them cheap for a boring job without worrying about them leaving and they sit down and do as they're told.

Manager level and above no one has a STEM background.

>inb4 oldfag
Migrated from Something Awful to here circa 2006, this place has always been shit.
>>
>>81452705
Agree with this one. A psychology degree carries as much weight as "communications." We trash any communications degree holders because real schools don't even offer it.
>>
>>81448313

Oversaturated field that will lead to minimum wage job opportunities.
>>
Psychology is the go to "I'm a dumb slut who is ''''''''''''''premed'''''''''''''' but that dream is over after freshman year' degree
>>
>>81448313
I'm studying psychology right now and I'm going to medical school afterwards to become a psychiatrist
>>
>>81454919
>I'm going to medical school afterwards
sure you are, champ
>>
>>81448313
>Is studying psychology degenerate?
Going to university to study psychology is degenerate. Acquiring knowledge of the field in your spare time isn't.

>I always read about the Stem meme but I'm honestly more interested in exploring the human mind.
If you want to make money and "explore" the human mind, go for economics instead. Focus on behavioral finance if you will.

>Is it a meme degree or is it respectable.
Definitely meme degree. I've met dozens of psychology students (80% females) and they were all unintelligent and cucked as hell.

>And what job opportunities does it have. Can you make money with this degree?
Mainly HR, psychotherapy, marketing, and (lower) management. Depends on your skill level. You'll definitely score a medium-level job in Europe (unless you're an absolute retard). These jobs usually don't pay as much as STEM-related or respectable business jobs.
>>
Not sure what the case is for where you are but where I live Psychology is a popular degree. It's pretty much considered the thing you study just to get into university as it's probably the easiest to get into. I have two friends who earned Psychology degrees, one is an assistant manager at Tesco and the other is tech support for a building company. I was invited to a student party they held once and when I asked the people there what they were studying more than half of them replied Psychology.

Again, this is just where I live. Maybe in your university it's considered a more valuable degree but here it's considered no different than getting an arts degree. Almost useless.
>>
>>81448313
Lol even parts of stem are memeworthy now. Forget psych. I know three people that did psych, one is a hot girl that moved back in with her parents and still lives there six years later, another dude who went into demolition, and another girl that moved to australia and does fuck all from what I can see on fb. Girls are hot in psych though.
>>
>>81448313
Get into neurology senpai.
>>
File: bulletproof glass.webm (387 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
bulletproof glass.webm
387 KB, 640x360
>>81455967
psychology is a four year party degree for dumb hot chicks that allows you to go on a couple of "study abroad" trips to the Mediterranean where they can "find themselves" by fucking hairy tanned men. It's just about the easiest way to pass the four years at college and graduate.

I know several girls who got psych degrees, and unless you are incredibly dedicated and get a MS afterwards, you won't be working in the clinical field. Basically all it qualifies you for are the same basic entry level jobs that any other soft subject would. An employer looks at a psych degree and all it really says is "I can probably use google and Microsoft Word."

It also does not prepare you well for med school. Chemistry or biochemistry are the ideal pre-med majors.
>>
Jew mind control, get out now.
>>
>>81454046
>manager and above no one has a stem background

Bahahah you must manage a chuk-e-cheese
>>
>>81448313

You don't have to do STEM.

But I don't know what job you think is going to be available with a psychology degree.

What practical skills do you offer that can turn into money?
>>
>Explore the human mind
No.
In the US, a psych B.A is broken into two categories.
Clinical, Experimental
Clinical is hands on psych like therapists and what you think a traditional psychologist is. Its comprised of mostly white females.
Experimental is where it's at. That's for actual research and being a University Professor.
A Psych B.A will only get you into a graduate school or a somewhat low paying job. If you would go into college thinking that you want to explore the mind, you are going to be what us grad students call the "Freshman Armchair Psychologist".
>>
File: 1467993958723.png (792 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467993958723.png
792 KB, 1280x720
>>81448313
Psych is cool but has no practical applications outside of marketing and being a pseudo-intellectual.
But if you get a PH.D and are able to prescribe medications then you can make some mad money.
>>
>>81460449
I don't know how it is here.
I am interested in the dark triads. I like the mind of psychopaths narcissists serial killer criminals etc to be clearer
>>
>>81461517
You're not going to be doing that. You're going to be typing papers about phenomenology of being poor and black or listening to some bipolar person baww about their daily life.
>>
>>81461517
I suggest you broaden your research interests. I can only speak for the United States education system, but I'd recommend experimental psychology, with an emphasis on what causes devious or abnormal behavior in adolescents/ adults with a side concentration in some kind of criminal justice. Saying you want to study serial killers is something a distinguished professor can do, not a freshman. And Im not saying its a dumb topic, I'm just saying at least in the US, their arnt any graduate programs specifically dedicated to that.
>>
Realistically you can't do shit with it without a PhD
>>
File: 1467229428287.jpg (134 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1467229428287.jpg
134 KB, 960x720
>>81451180
That pic killed me.
>>
>>81448313
Get bachelors at least, move to liberal populated cities, open office and say you deal with your kids refusing to acknowledge they are not heretosexuals. Probably guaranteed profit for some time
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.