[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How relevant are they ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11
File: 2866r.jpg (261 KB, 1280x962) Image search: [Google]
2866r.jpg
261 KB, 1280x962
I did not study a lot of Britain history after the middle-age.
Do the scots had any relevant role in the Empire or were they just a burden for England and Wales ?
How do you make the difference between a scot and an english on /pol/ by the way ?
>>
>>81446447

>Do the scots had any relevant role in the Empire

Who do you think did all the engineering?
>>
>>81446447
Being a pain in the ass to their southern neighbors is basically their entire history.
>>
>>81446447
The scots are English men in skirts, I all honest there really no better than the Irish
>>
Less relevant than Yorkshire but massively over represented politically and on the BBC because of muh freedom.
>>
File: 1462910572227.jpg (215 KB, 1200x950) Image search: [Google]
1462910572227.jpg
215 KB, 1200x950
considering were a tiny country we definetly have done our part
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

We have always been the backbone of the british military
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Scotland

all because this happened
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme
>>
>>81446577

And the Spanish have the same opinion of you cloggie
>>
>>81446447
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Enlightenment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

We are cunts but we have had our moments.
>>
>>81446447
when the union was in full empire mode the scots helped as much as the Irish and were a vital part of the military, historically we've had far more scottish PMs than there population deserves (showing how great they used to be) however after the formation of the EU lots of Scottish 'culture' and 'language' revivals began due to EU funding and this created seperatist tensions and has basically forced the rest of the UK to pull everything important out of Scotland leaving it a bitter husk of hatred and nationalism. Source: lived in Aberdeen for half a decade now and love me some history
>>
>>81446447
>Do the scots had any relevant role in the Empire or were they just a burden for England and Wales ?
we were overrepresented in our work for the empire. it's only today that we're a drain on the country.

>How do you make the difference between a scot and an english on /pol/ by the way ?

you don't unless they're using extended flags. most of us scottish posters share similar views to the english ones so you can't pick them out by specific views we have.
>>
File: 1441532858231.jpg (6 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
1441532858231.jpg
6 KB, 237x213
>>81447217
>lived in Aberdeen for half a decade

Im sorry, im truly very sorry
>>
>>81447217
>pull everything important out of Scotland leaving it a bitter husk of hatred and nationalism

What utter shit

Source me lived in Scotland all my life 29 now
>>
>>81446447
>Did the Scots had any relevant role in the Empire or were they just a burden for England and Wales?
Many high ranking officials and figureheads were Scots. About 1/10.
>How do you make the difference between a Scot and an english on /pol/ by the way?
You ask them. Which takes too much time
>>
>>81446914
>>81447015
Know a lot of these inventors by their names but never heard of the "Scottish Enlightenment" before today, always thought these people were more or less English and that innovation took place in London.

Seems like the "british" meme is underplaying your achievements guys.
>>
>>81446447

There was a synergy during the Empire years

The Scottish had an aptitude for engineering, public service and the army

The "Catholic" English did well at commerce, diplomacy and naval matters
>>
>>81447853
we had a very major role in creating industry in commonwealth countries like canada, aus and NZ, as well as basically single handedly creating the academic institutions in most of the empire.

all the aptitude for innovation, academia and engineering have more or less left the country now, and most scots with any sense should cling to the idea of being british, because being scottish is shite nowadays, to quote Trainspotting.
>>
>>81446905
This. I'm from Yorkshire, we have more people than Scotland but we just shafted and looked down upon. They get special treatment for no real modern reason.
>>
>>81450226
Yorkshireman in China, now i can die happy.
>>
File: Gallant forty twa.jpg (108 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Gallant forty twa.jpg
108 KB, 500x350
Scots used to be based. Not sure what happened.
>>
>>81453879
You elected Blair who created one of the most corrupt parliaments in the world. That is on top of it, ran by SJW ISIS supporters, even in the """"conservative"""" opposition.
>>
>>81450226
Our time will come, brother. The North will rise again.
>>
>>81453879
Still are mate, we just don't give a fuck about your negative views. While the rest of the world is burning, Scotland is full of love.
>>
>>81457171
>Scotland is full of love

FUCK THA ANGLISH

TORIE CUNTS YE CAN STICK YER WASSMANSTUR
>>
>>81457171
As a scot that's shite. Our love of scotland almost directly stems from hate of the English.
>>
>>81457469
Scots just have an easy fucking life mate.
>>
>>81446914

kek I made that image from an r9k wageslave maymay

Not even Scottish.
>>
File: alex fleming.jpg (53 KB, 540x493) Image search: [Google]
alex fleming.jpg
53 KB, 540x493
>>81446447
We were basically the Empire's inventors, businessmen, entrepreneurs and engineers. For such a small country we were/are massively over represented at the top echelons of society.

Even here in Hong Kong, the oldest and most well known companies (Jardines Mathieson and HSBC) were founded and still run by Scotsmen.

If you want irrelevancy look to the Welsh.
>>
>>81446914

the darien scheme was the background of the first union. Not sure if scotland could be self sufficient were it to divorce itself from uk
>>
All parts of the union were important in our heyday. Scotland unfortunately became cucks somewhere along the way.
>>
>>81460428
Something to do with being totally de industrialised between 1980 - 1990

No real jobs for the average guy cept shop work or call centres
>>
>>81456515
>you
I'm from Northern Ireland pal.
>>
I wrote my BA dissertation on Scottish linguistic history

ask me questions or whatever
>>
Because they really bring the Union Jack together.
>>
>>81446447
British history, like French/Spanish history is basically the history of the monarchy as they used to be the sole executive.

All of their actions good or bad affected everyone else throughout the country whether it be religion, civil wars, international wars, famines, allies or enemies.

England owned Scotland.
Scotland then fought and won their freedom.
Thus, Scotland had their own monarchy and England had their own monarchy (England and Wales is just "England" for sake of simplicity).
Because of certain heirs dying and the luck of the draw James II happened to be the rightful heir to the throne in both Scotland and England at the same time. When his two predecessors died England and Scotland had the same King once more and even though they were two independent entities - they were ruled by the same man.
We officially became one country "The United Kingdom" a couple of decades later.

Scotland has a history that they can kind of be proud of desu. Invented the telephone, the television, the father of electromagnetism, penicillin and a bunch of other shit.

They also weren't treated as subhumanly as the Irish so long as they were Presbyterian (a form of Anglicanism). They managed to rise high in the ranks in parliament, in the military and even the aristocracy.

Now Scotland's a shadow of its former self being a left wing cesspit where any right winger lives literally within 5 miles of the English border.

Imagine if Tumblr was a country other than Sweden - that's Scotland.

Annoying bastards.
Great in the past, now shit.
Hope this answered your question.
>>
>>81447853

>Seems like the "british" meme is underplaying your achievements guys.

It works just fine, it's not our fault you guys are retarded and assume British = English
>>
File: Rude Brazilian Man.jpg (125 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
Rude Brazilian Man.jpg
125 KB, 600x777
>>81447853
>Seems like the "british" meme is underplaying your achievements guys.
OH YEAH BECAUSE ENGLAND HAS DONE NOTHING
>>
File: britlaugh.gif (2 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
britlaugh.gif
2 MB, 500x209
>>81446447
>scottland
>being relevant

choose one mate
>>
File: image.jpg (333 KB, 1880x1390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333 KB, 1880x1390
Average Scottish person
>>
File: Yew_tree.png (553 KB, 593x813) Image search: [Google]
Yew_tree.png
553 KB, 593x813
>>81446447
As a scottish person

Whenever I see a scottish flag, I just cringe.

Our nation is fucking dead.

I voted brexit, and I'm humilated by how cucked Scotland is, I gave up pretending I give a fuck about Scotland.
>>
>>81469352
>scheme
Thats a rangers fan, they dont count as humans.
>>
>>81446914

A huge number of Scottish "inventions" have been debunked as myths.

Meanwhile, compare the size of that list to this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_inventions_and_discoveries

The Scottish list is very small by comparison.

Of course the lowland Scots are just Englishmen in denial anyway.
>>
>>81469352

>a hun

Sorry that's an average BRITISH NATIONALIST.
>>
>>81446914
>>81471788

Incidentally I have no idea how you can think that a nation as small as yours formed the backbone of the English military. We had won the majority of our great military victories long before we joined with you, and had already built a large part of the British Empire. You joined us because you were unable to get up an Empire of your own. You failed at it. That is simply a fact.
>>
>>81446905
>>81450226
Its sad to see English people talking about Scotland like that and falling for divisive retards like the SNP the majority of Scots are not like that plus like OP asked during the empire we were a major part of just about everything clearly punching well above our weight in the military,engineering,sciences and exploration.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.