[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what exactly is agnosticism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
So what exactly is agnosticism?
>>
File: 1466947898383.jpg (112 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1466947898383.jpg
112 KB, 533x800
>>
>>81385465
We just don't know.
>>
>>81385465
You can't know.
>>
>>81385465
No government control turns into a tribal country.
>>
>>81386086
>>81386135
True, but that is not a special position. The very own nature of god/gods tell us that we can't know. You either believe in them, or we don't.

I am a atheist and i don't know if god exists r not.
>>
>well we don't know for sure whether there is some form of higher power, so I consider myself neither atheist nor religious
>>
>>81385465
It's a thing for stupid people who don't understand what a dichotomy is.
>>
>>81386545
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

educate yourself
>>
>>81385465
I think it's more or less living wothout faith or religion until there's something that can prove beyond a doubt that there is or isn't a god(s). Sure they'd have their own existential crises outside of worrying about sin or being good/bad in the eyes of God, but most-all issues are corporeal. The big difference between them and openly douchey atheists are that if God reveals themself to the agnostic, like a bearded face popping out of the sky or a giant arm that performs visible miracles, they would probably adopt a sort of faith as opposed to the defined atheist which I think would just believe that it's just a big alien or something.

Anyone think I missed something/am way off?
>>
>>81386992
>that can prove beyond a doubt that there is or isn't a god(s).
How do you prove a god exists or don't?

>The big difference between them and openly douchey atheists are that if God reveals themself to the agnostic, like a bearded face popping out of the sky or a giant arm that performs visible miracles, they would probably adopt a sort of faith as opposed to the defined atheist
lol, nice strawmen. Are you telling me that if a atheist saw god, and he was god without doubt, he would deny him? Why are you strawmaning atheists?

>Anyone think I missed something/am way off?

What is the diference betwen atheists and agnostics
>>
File: 1463837905098.jpg (863 KB, 3456x5184) Image search: [Google]
1463837905098.jpg
863 KB, 3456x5184
>>
>>81387310
>What is the diference betwen atheists and agnostics
both need to be beheaded and their head put on a stick, there's no difference
>>
>>81385465
>there might be a God and there might not--but I don't really have time for this right now, I've gotta get to work.
Agnosticism
>>
>>81387657
>kill whoever disagrees with me

Be more original, religious fags

>>81387768
>there might be a God and there might not
But that is not a position particular to agnosticism. Atheists don't know if god exists or not.
>>
Basically atheists are just as braindead as christians. Atheists get buttmad at christians because they can't prove god is real. Atheists can't prove god IS real though.

Agnostics just don't bother with that shit because it's retarded, we just don't know whether god is real or not and doesn't really matter anyway
>>
It's nihilism with weed
>>
>>81388203
>>81386784
You are confusing anti-christians with atheists
>>
>>81388203
*ISNT

>call people retarded
>make a typo in my own post
>>
File: 1467511406015.jpg (144 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
1467511406015.jpg
144 KB, 432x504
>>81388324

Confirmed - my ID is

Mystic, yo.
>>
I've long argued that agnostics are just pussy atheists. If you're not "of God" or "with God" or "for God" you're a dirty atheist. "Agnostic" means jack shit.
>>
File: 1464562625356.jpg (204 KB, 760x1024) Image search: [Google]
1464562625356.jpg
204 KB, 760x1024
>>81388374
>making another post to correct a typo
One of the most anyoing and useless things to do. But thanks for the bump, i guess
>>
>>81385465
It's pretty simple.
Agnostics don't believe that there is a god, but they are open to the idea of there being a higher power. They're unsure, but open to anything since there is no way to be sure.
Atheists consider that it's virtually impossible for there to be any sort of higher power. They think there is enough evidence to indicate that there is no higher power, or that it's so close to an impossibility that it's best to treat it as clearly impossible.
>>
File: a.png (17 KB, 373x330) Image search: [Google]
a.png
17 KB, 373x330
>>81385465
This pic will never cease to be relevant
>>
>>81385465
I would define it as the default position that any rational person should take before they receive information that either confirms or denies whatever they are asking a question about. I don't think its a position you should refuse to move from unless the question is unanswerable.
>>
>>81387961
>But that is not a position particular to agnosticism. Atheists don't know if god exists or not.
Atheists outright deny the existence of the gods, while agnostics maintain the belief that there might be a god.
>>81388408
Why question anything, right?
>>
>>81388408
>>81388408
>I've long argued that agnostics are just pussy atheists
True, it's çike the pronoums for tumblr fags. It's just a phase of "I'm not like all the other girls" that people go trough
>>
>>81388628
>Agnostics don't believe that there is a god
That is the definition of atheist. lel

>>81388637
>either confirms or denies
How do you confirm or denie god?
>>
>>81388643
>Why question anything, right?
No dipshit, it's that if "atheism" means "without belief in god" than "agnosticism" certainly, necessarily, and by-definition qualifies. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
"I feel there is probably something spiritual in the world but organized religion isn't the answer" Also this >>81388632
>>
Theism is a belief in a god.
Atheism is the belief in no god.

Agnosticism is the critical intersection where you realize both statements are impossible to prove, and attempting to do so is a complete waste of time. There could be, there could not be, but right now, I've got bigger concerns.
>>
>>81388643
>Atheists outright deny the existence of the gods
source? Here is a helpfull link for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
>>
>>81388830
Sure, I guess, if you crop out 60% of my sentence.
Way to encourage people to actually reply to you.
>>
>>81388957

Addendum - Atheists are generally the most insufferable pricks on the planet. If someone selling religion asks to talk to you about Jesus and you say no, they generally go away.

Atheists will continue to scream, berate and insult until you acknowledge their fedora.
>>
>>81388830
If for example a theist makes a claim about something their God has done or that their God has made something in a certain way, you could look around and check to see if that's actually how reality works. You couldn't assert that God absolutely cannot exist, but you can check on claims made about Gods who have specific attributes and have done specific things or made things in specific ways.

If a God is claimed to have made reality in a certain way, and evidence contradicts that claim and this happens over and over with that God, I think that it is reasonable to be Atheistic in regards to that specific God.
>>
>>81388928
So you are a theist?

>>81388957
>Agnosticism is the critical intersection where you realize both statements are impossible to prove
>belief
>proving
oh god, why are you guys so stupid?
>>
>>81388839
>I know better what your belief is :^)
>>81389015
See this >>81388839 faggot
Looks like I can't define what atheists are but you can define what I am by what you think
This looks quite one sided, i'm calling bait on your retarded shit thread
>>
>>81389149
But that is the definitions of atheism.

>>81389159
>ebin meme

>>81389317
>If for example a theist makes a claim about something their God has done or that their God has made something in a certain way, you could look around and check to see if that's actually how reality works. You couldn't assert that God absolutely cannot exist, but you can check on claims made about Gods who have specific attributes and have done specific things or made things in specific ways.
The person who made the claim about god could just be acused of being wrong, and bam, you can't prove he doesn't exist. You can't prove that something you don't know what is doesn't exist, simply.

>If a God is claimed to have made reality in a certain way, and evidence contradicts that claim and this happens over and over with that God, I think that it is reasonable to be Atheistic in regards to that specific God.

see above.
>>
>>81389517
>I can't define what atheists are
Atheists are just people who don't believe in a deity

> you can define what I am by what you think
Do you believe in a deity?
>>
File: 1440973032599.jpg (29 KB, 1280x450) Image search: [Google]
1440973032599.jpg
29 KB, 1280x450
>>81387310
>How do you prove a god exists or don't?
That's the million dollar question. Some people are agnostic because they think it's a loaded question, think it and of itself is a non sequitur, or just don't feel like looking for an answer is worth the trouble. Maybe there is more than just an is or isn't a god(s) which also doesn't entirely help.

>Are you telling me that if a atheist saw god, and he was god without doubt, he would deny him?
Atheism is about belief, or specifically what you don't believe. Agnosticism is about knowledge, or specifically about what you don't know. An atheist doesn't believe in any gods. An agnostic doesn't know if any gods exist or not.

Belief is a choice which Atheists could choose not to believe (or essentially choose to) as opposed to being in the inherently tentative state like their Agnostic counterparts. Regardless, the only real purpose to cling to either of these titles is to try and find people who can think as closely to you as possible to discuss it, or for opposite thinkers looking to learn/debate/etc. Faith, including the lack and uncertainty of, are/should be personal for the most part imo
>>
>>81391936
>Some people are agnostic because they think it's a loaded question
OMG, are you serious????!?!?!??!?!

>Atheism is about belief, or specifically what you don't believe. Agnosticism is about knowledge, or specifically about what you don't know.

Belief != knowledge
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.