[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who wants a career in politics, and an eventual political
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1464730709301.gif (708 KB, 167x200) Image search: [Google]
1464730709301.gif
708 KB, 167x200
As someone who wants a career in politics, and an eventual political role, what should I major in college?

What should I be doing as I work my way up in college?
>>
Just read /pol/ with a regular basis. It will really make you think.
>>
>>81054282
>As someone who wants a career in politics, and an eventual political role, what should I major in college?
Depends; do you want to be a leader, or a bureaucrat?

If the former, philosophy and political science, with a fair bit of speech classes. Law doesn't hurt either. Maybe even some history.

If the latter, law, management, sociology, economics; anything that will make you useful as an advisor, adjunct, etc to leaders.
>>
>>81055144
Huh, really makes you think?
>>
>>81054282
Unless you have the means to intern for 5 years in unpaid political positions you need to change your career.
>>
>>81054282
Political science or philosophy, then law. Or if you're truly based, business, start your own business, success and self fund ala Trump.
>>
>>81054282

>Career Politician

You make me sick
>>
>>81055573
Oh, and I forgot the most important thing;

Either be born into a wealthy or influential family, or network so hard that all the ass you're kissing will be the most intimate human contact you will have for the next two or three decades.

Government is a business, and you either know people, or people know you.
>>
>>81054282
Economics and pre-law then go to law school.
>>
>>81054282
Join the military instead.
>>
Get a dual degree in Law and History. also get a minor in statistics. If you just want to shill as a lobbyist or be a lazy politician just go for political science
>>
>>81055838
>implying there's anything inherently wrong with being a career politician
In antiquity, someone who had studied their whole life in the political sciences, in statesmanship and philosophy, in the workings of the economy and the nation's law, would be considered a fine leader for the nation.

Someone being some semi-rural rube with an ounce of common sense doesn't necessarily make them qualified to lead.
>>
>>81054282
In politics you shouldn't have a "career" but rather it should be vocational.

The best among people should go an represent the majority - consume his life, his energy, his name in the service of others.
>>
>>81054282
Join your preferred party NOW and get involved in its youth wing. If you're left wing, join the caucus of the union most aligned to your faction.

Aim for a job as a staffer to a politician.
>>
File: where are your swimmies.jpg (245 KB, 714x720) Image search: [Google]
where are your swimmies.jpg
245 KB, 714x720
>>81054282

>what should I major in college?

Psshh

Just be a nigger. Brainwashed leftists will literally fall over themselves to vote for you.
>>
>>81055828
Do you think a certain business is more respectable than another?

>>81055884
That's fine by me. I'm neighbors with our city's mayor, and I've recently been informing him of my interest.

>>81055921
I feel as if Law is far too expensive currently. Isn't law school the worst educational decision today?

>>81056295
I agree. I figured focusing on something related in college would show my community that I care
>>
>>81054282
Memetics

Computer science

Act in theatrical plays

And for fucks sake, look beyond capitalism and communism.
>>
>>81061643
>computer science

kek
>>
>>81054282
International Relations, Law, study persuasion, learn how to speak in public.
>>
>>81054282
Business/law

You need to work a private sector job before running for office. Nobody elects a loser like Bernie sanders. You need to build credibility first.
>>
>>81054282
uhhh

desu you won't get anywhere in politics without connections

so don't even bother
>>
>>81063114
implying i don't.
>>
>>81063673
being the mayor's neighbour isn't a connection
>>
>>81064418
There's more than just that.
>>
>>81054282

Serious: Major in whatever can hold your interest for 3-5 years however long it takes. Volunteer on student government campaigns. Volunteer on local government campaigns. Meet people early who will get you unpaid gigs on statewide campaigns on or around your senior year.

Get a campus job that works with people. Coordinate events, call up alums for money, sell iphones at the student store, do something that makes you learn persuasion and gives you a marketable skill.

Political volunteer + any marketable skill + time = political professional.
>>
Almost all politicians have law degrees and they all take part in extra curricular bullshit. If youre even posting here you will never be a politician. Too much of a sperg and without social graces, sorry.
>>
>>81061852
Learn to computer science or you might pull up a Hillary
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.