[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/ is Stefan Molyneux a failure when it comes to philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10
/pol/ is Stefan Molyneux a failure when it comes to philosophy and Libertarianism?

His work on those subjects have received a lot of bad criticism. The Mises institute completely trashed his book called "Universally Preferable Behaviour: A Rational Proof of Secular Ethics" going so far to call it the Molyneux problem.

Stefan always praises how good his books are but not a single publisher will publish them, not even Vox wants to publish them. If he's idea were good, people would publish his books.

Don't get me wrong /pol/. Stefan is a great youtuber and I love his content but he's a fake philosopher who is a nobody on philosophy outside of youtube.
>>
/pol/ answer me
>>
>>80640196
Idk about that. Public speaking isn't given to anyone and everyone.
Tbh this sounds and looks like a concern troll for replies. (Bait)
>>
They don't actually consider the actual form of any given situation, they only consider their feelings.
>>
>>80640704
His whole career his only spoken to two events
>>
>>80640196
Philosophy is pretty dumb subject anyways, only pot heads like it which is why he is viewed as a failure on it.
>>
>>80640665
Please clap
>>
>The Mises institute completely trashed UPB
This says a lot, no memeing. Those wacky Austrians can't even accept Stefan Molymeme as one of their own.
>>
>>80640196
What's important is that he succeeds in igniting a world wide race war.
>>
File: 1463153995214.jpg (149 KB, 640x765) Image search: [Google]
1463153995214.jpg
149 KB, 640x765
>>80640665
Chill out jeb.
>>
Libertarianism itself is a failure, how can you blame the man?
>>
>>80641626
How is libertarianism a failure when it is no longer the system in use which is destroying economies across the globe.
Please tell me more how Brazil is a paradise.
>>
File: NOT.jpg (5 KB, 255x75) Image search: [Google]
NOT.jpg
5 KB, 255x75
>>80640196
>>
>>80640196
His defoo stuff is disgusting, the method of a cult leader. But now he has found a new target group with the alt right millennials and got pretty entertaining and memeworthy.
>>
>>80640196

Lots of philosophers were only appreciated long after their deaths.

People not publishing books does not mean they are necessarily bad.

Present some of his arguments, and why you think they are wrong.
>>
>>80640196
Do you literally not understand the concept of philosophy?

Philosophy does not require external sympathizers to still be articulate philosophical ideals.

If anything not being published just goes to show he truly thinks in contrary to popular belief of philosophical ideals.
>>
>>80640196
I'm not a huge fan but I would be inclined to defend him on this one.

If you think that one proves oneself as a philosopher these days by submitting philosophical books to publishers and getting them published, then clearly you know nothing about the current state of philosophy.

Philosophy these days has become, almost entirely, a crushingly narrowly specialized discipline that is completely cut off from the real world. Nearly everyone who is "somebody" - as opposed to your "nobody" - in philosophy is someone who has toed the academic line through every one of an academic career's dozen phases and stages - undergraduate, research student and assistant professor under supervision of older 'colleague', junior professor etc etc - and likewise precisely followed the prescribed rules and procedures for publication: review articles of your Ph D supervisor's books; first journal articles of your own closely dissecting some minute detail of an established colleague's work; first monograph etc. After twenty years of this you are dead as regards even the possibility of actually applying thought to the world but you are well on your way to a tenured professorship.

Today, just about the only alternative to this slow intellectual self-castration for a philosopher is the breakout into total charlatanry, like Slavoj Zizek for example, who certainly hasn't allowed himself to be smothered by extreme specialization but displays the opposite vice of spewing utterly ungrounded general opinions in every direction and calling it 'philosophy'.

I kind of admire Molyneux because he tries to steer between these two reefs. He has had a career in business, not the academy, so he didn't get bogged down in writing 300-page monographs on the aporiae of Saul Kripke's critique of Quine's critique of the Carnapian Dilemma. Neither, however, does he just let loose with a stream-of-consciousness diarrhea of off-the-top-of-his-head "bright ideas" like Zizek.
>>
>>80640196
>The (((Mises institute)))
>>
>>80642189
interesting
>>
>>80642189

I used to work at a University. This is really what it's like.
>>
>>80640196
must be intimidating to be in the presence of a man so much smarter than yourself.
>>
>>80643159
I'm intimidated by the intellectuals commenting on this thread.
>>
>>80643159
Thats it, im now #MethN'Stephan
>>
File: In Defense of Stefan Molyneux.png (164 KB, 1067x618) Image search: [Google]
In Defense of Stefan Molyneux.png
164 KB, 1067x618
>>80640196
>>80642189

Neat perspective.
>>
File: 8_6.jpg (110 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
8_6.jpg
110 KB, 800x536
>>80640196
It doesn't matter that he is a shit philosopher. It does however matter that he butthurts the left with very decent arguments I can agree with.

Name one good philosopher of our time and tell me why he is better than Molyneux and maybe you've got a point.

If not, then it's not an argument.
>>
>>80643869

Meh, this is a bit of a no true Scotsman thing. What else is a philosopher than someone with good arguments?
>>
>>80642189
My sister majored in Philosophy (lol) and this is basically what she also described.
>>
>>80643869
How far back am I allowed to go?
>>
can you please explain who or what the fuck the mises institute is, what the fuck it does, and why it should matter before you make a post like this?
>>
>>80644178
Libertarian wing death squads
>>
>>80644178
>enter a conversation without prerequisite knowledge
>mad that no one explains it all to you
get out dumb nigger
>>
>>80644178
>mises institute

a bunch of fucking jews
>>
File: 1outof10.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1outof10.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>80640938
>>
>>80644178
https://mises.org/
>>
>>80642186
>the fact that nobody agrees with me only proves how right I am
>>
UPB is banal stuff, "practical" philosophy but not the grand logical solution of ethics that he claims it is
he's a cunt anyways so who cares
>>
>>80642189

Underrated.
>>
>>80641463
this picture made me sad ;^(

is it true it probably drowned?
>>
>>80644178

The Mises Institute is essentially the Cathedral of modern American Libertarianism. It's named after Ludwig von Mises, peace be upon him, the Archetype for Libertarians. The Mises Institute follows the Austrian school of economics, a heterodox economics school that basically rejects empirical models as the basis of their school for axioms. For Austrian economists, free market = God; government = Anti-Christ.
>>
>>80641892
Do you really expect an answer? The most common response on /pol/ when it comes to libertarians is: I was one, then I grew up. Most aren't too bright.
>>
File: 1432587761001.png (257 KB, 415x476) Image search: [Google]
1432587761001.png
257 KB, 415x476
>>80642189
Zizek is based my friend
>>
>>80642106
Found the argument
>>
>>80644288

>poster asks us if he should think molyneux is a hack based on what some other group has said about him
>doesn't explain what the group is

faggot
>>
>>80644339
>Being published by companies is the only way to prove people agree with me

Imbecile.
>>
File: 1411061556633[1].jpg (42 KB, 330x315) Image search: [Google]
1411061556633[1].jpg
42 KB, 330x315
>>80644865
>wants everything spoonfed
>can't bother with the most basic resreach like a search engine to resolve his own opinions
>calling anyone else a faggot
>>
>>80640196
Don't care, he creates good hate facts
>>
>>80640196
woah whose baby and lady are they?
>>
File: 1467790296684.jpg (56 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1467790296684.jpg
56 KB, 604x604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsTJgM5_0uU
1:26:06
Stefan Molyneux Has his own scam system.
He destroys families.
>>
>>80640196
Not an argument
>>
>>80640196
Great thoughts are against all doctrines of conformity.
>>
>>80642061
What's disgusting about getting away from people who abuse you?

Also OP learn2argument.
>>
>>80640196
>people allegedly didn't like his book
>Even Vox wont publish it (even though he only asked Stef to send him it about a month ago)
>He's only popular on youtube instead of the jewish printed media and the electric jew

All this text and still no arguments.
>>
>>80646237
Is your own family you nut case.
>>
I liked Moly better when he was doing Philosophy stuff. He seemed happier. Now he's so angry. His old stuff is good besides trying to push his crap - but I commend him for public domain shit.

His philosophy stuff is interesting even if it's not always on point. I miss happy moly
>>
Molyneux realized it isn't terribly profitable trying to appeal to the small crowd of philosophy enthusiasts in comparison to the much larger crowd of nigger-bashing enthusiasts and "reality show presidential candidate enthusiasts.

He went from hot air sophistry to flat-out alt-right shill marketer and Trump-bitch.

I better run now, here comes the hordes of Trump bitches, doing their paid duty from their hired position on Trump's (((son-in-law)))'s payroll.
>>
>>80640196
>The Mises institute

Who?
>>
>>80646424
I know what defoo stands for. Try providing an argument next time.
>>
>>80646303
Vox already read his stuff, he won't publish it because it's terrible.
>>
>>80646465
nod a bargulent.
>>
>>80646465
>I better run now

Of course.
>>
>>80646768
About what. Separating vulnerable millenials from their families and profiting from it?

That's sick. Family unity even in adulthood is the base of civilisation.
Molyjews is a scam that destroys family unity.
>>
>>80646775
i didn't know you were Vox. Still not an argument.

Attacks on his character mean literally nothing. all that matters about a philosopher is his philosophy.

Can you actually come up with any rebuttals to his ideas, can you provide an attractive or better yet, objectively better philosophy than his?

I don't care if Socrates had bad handwriting or if Confucius was particularly fat. These are character assassinations and non-arguments.

You know it, I know it. This isn't even an honest conversation because you shitposted this exact same thread last night, and you are just doing it again today for more (you)'s.
>>
>>80647151
Oh, I get it. You don't understand the concept of defoo and therefore created an evil-sounding strawman that you can shit on. Great, good luck with that.
>>
>>80644782
I hope you are being ironical.

I'll concede to you that - in an age in which the average philosophical book or article contains no substantial view or opinion at all but is just a huge boring hyper-detailed synopsis of what so-and-so counter-objected to so-and-so's critique of so-and-so's review of so-and-so's retort to so-and-so - it's very easy to understand why Zizeks' extemporized streams of jokes and pop-culture references and formulaically shocking reversals of shared perceptions are perceived as refreshing and as a "return of real, 'living' philosophy."

But, sad to say, Chomsky is basically correct about Zizek. Under all the jokes and references to Hitchcock and The Matrix etc there is just nothing there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Nz03cROXA

(To me, it is 'sad to say this' because Chomsky himself is mostly full of (a different kind of) shit).

As I say, I think there can be a middle road, even today, between orthodox academic philosophers who tend to disappear up each other's assholes - by getting hopelessly bogged down in what the guy who works in the office to the right of them wrote about the paper published by he guy who works in the office to the left - and Zizek, who just manically vanishes up his own asshole.

Molyneux is a well-read, even if self-taught, guy whose passion about political events prevents his meditations from ever becoming just meditations for their own sake. I wonder, though, if the benefits of a longer formal education would have won out in his case over the risks. A couple of 'hothouse'-educated intellectuals in my own country - like Alain Finkielkraut for example - now train much more classically, 'abstractly' educated minds than Molyneux's more or less exclusively on topical events and produce some very valuable work indeed, imo

Unfortunately, there is almost no Finkielkraut in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYDlg1KcCo
>>
>>80647415
You are already talking like a fucking cultist.
you are calling me "no arguments" but still refuse to expand on "defoo". Fuck off you are already dead.
>>
>>80640196
Cult leader, savior complex, relentless fear mongering, flip flopping, went from ancap to authoritarian statist within the span of some months. Wouldn't be surprised if he announces he's abandoning atheism.
>>
>>80642061
>His defoo stuff is disgusting, the method of a cult leader. But now he has found a new target group with the alt right millennials and got pretty entertaining and memeworthy.

He's figured out who will pay him the most and tailored his videos to their expectations.

As soon as the Trump/Alt right movement dies, he will move on to the next revenue stream.
>>
He's a fraud.
>>
>>80646566
An institute of failed economist, who constantly advocate a recession and whenever markets withdraw slightly they all yell OMG I TOLD YOU SO, IM THE GREATEST.
>>
>>80647702
Your arguments consist of :"This philosopher is shit because I say so".

Yet, you have no credibility that you can appeal to. Why should anyone take you seriously? At best, you sound like a Molyneux fanboy. At worse, you're completly retarded.

And saying :"Well this person is dumb but he does have good point" doesn't make your argument more valid, it just shows you as more manipulative, waving between one lie to the next in order to make you seem like someone who takes the middle position, someone who seems reasonable but in reality is anything but that.
>>
>>80647711
>Being this triggered
Can you at least understand that it is common practice to separate victims from abusers whether the abusers are part of the family or not?
The question now is what constitutes abuse. And this is where people get mad at Molymeme. Indeed he says that spanking and emotional abuse (neglect, avoidance, enmeshment) is damaging to the child thus he should separate from his family if they have been bad parents.

This is very sensible but people are so sentimental towards their own that they won't process this kind of advice.
>>
>>80648332
a institute of members worth millions
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o2JWmbBSFU

Molyneux is a confirmed jews. He sees whites as niggers compared to jews.
>>
>>80649130
>trying to argue with a Spaniard the meaning of family

No offense, but when it comes to family values and societal structure that surrounds is the Spaniards are far bettern than the Swiss in that regard. Of course, I'm not saying he's right because he's from Spain but him being right is from a society that has got the family thing right within the European framework.

Separating victims from stangers is one thing. Separating victims from family is another. Unless the abuse is extreme, turning kids into orphans is not a solution. You'e creating another problem.

Further, now in today's highly sensitive society (in the manner of being sensistive for the sake of appearences) , anything can be seen as abusive. So society should be even more careful not to abuse separating kids from their parents.
>>
What the fuck did you just say I'll have you know not a huge fan but I would be inclined to defend him on this one.

If you think that one proves oneself as a philosopher these days by submitting philosophical books to publishers and getting them published, then clearly you know nothing about the current state of philosophy.

Philosophy these days has become, almost entirely, a crushingly narrowly specialized discipline that is completely cut off from the real world. Nearly everyone who is "somebody" - as opposed to your "nobody" - in philosophy is someone who has toed the academic line through every one of an academic career's dozen phases and stages - undergraduate, research student and assistant professor under supervision of older 'colleague', junior professor etc etc - and likewise precisely followed the prescribed rules and procedures for publication: review articles of your Ph D supervisor's books; first journal articles of your own closely dissecting some minute detail of an established colleague's work; first monograph etc. After twenty years of this you are dead as regards even the possibility of actually applying thought to the world but you are well on your way to a tenured professorship.

I kind of admire Molyneux because he tries to steer between these two reefs. He has had a career in business, not the academy, so he didn't get bogged down in writing 300-page monographs on the aporiae of Saul Kripke's critique of Quine's critique of the Carnapian Dilemma. Neither, however, does he just let loose with a stream-of-consciousness diarrhea of off-the-top-of-his-head "bright ideas" like Zizek.
>>
>>80648502
>Yet, you have no credibility that you can appeal to. Why should anyone take you seriously? At best, you sound like a Molyneux fanboy. At worse, you're completly retarded.
Logical error nr 1
-Appeal to authority
Logical error nr 2
-Ad hominem
-Logical error nr 3
A fucking leaf.
>>
File: 1468272214737.png (246 KB, 1074x1296) Image search: [Google]
1468272214737.png
246 KB, 1074x1296
>>80643811

UPDATE
>>
>>80650145
I am become copypasta, destroyer of Slovenian charlatans.
But for those of you who feel the need of 'arguments', I won't bother going through them all again here but just link you to a tirade I inflicted on some Filipino Zizek fanboys Jesus YEARS back.
They ended up calling me an 'American imperialist' lol

https://karlomongaya.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/for-the-love-of-zizek-a-fan%E2%80%99s-confession/

Still, now they've elected Rodrigo Duterte all is forgiven....
>>
>>80642189
Great post, France
>>
>>80640196

Why all the bashing of Molyneux lately?

Is it because he is just becoming red-pilled and that scares some people?
>>
>>80647702
You clearly have never read a Zizek book. His public speaking is rambling and disjointed but some of his books are amazing regarding subjectivity, ethics and political theory. He is also based because he justifies eurocentric authoritarianism if you read him between the lines.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.