[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do the newer generations feel like College is a requirement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Boating Dogger.jpg (254 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Boating Dogger.jpg
254 KB, 1024x768
Why do the newer generations feel like College is a requirement?

Many great inventors and those who became millionaires through hard work never went to college? What happened to force this weird culture shift?

I just graduated from High School, and we happened to have a trade school and shop classes that students could take if they so wished. But anyone who took those classes were branded as de facto 'outcasts and weirdos' even though most of them were normal people.

Why is the newer generation shunning trade jobs in favor of wasting money going to college?
>>
>>80623021
go to a trade school anon
college is for when you're 23, after you've learnt to appreciate it, and trade school skills will never leave you
>>
I dont know how it is in the stats, but here thats basicly how it is.
Im at College right now despite i would actually rather work, but you can really get into leadership positions if you dont have the capital to start your own stuff.
>>
>>80623021
its a meme forced upon us here in britbongia, that if you have a degree you will earn more money, this is never questioned. If you aren't interested in university and would like to leave asap and get a job they will let you go without any help, if you want to go to university they will gladly organise trips to see exhibitions, open days etc.
We are being used for our money, higher education is no longer for the sharpest tools in the box. fees here have tripled over the past 5 years.
>>
>>80623021
Because over in the US, they figured out how to get you in debt that can't be discharged through bankruptcy
>>
>>80623021
I think it boils down to respect, at least for me.

My wife is a lawyer and every once in a while she's invited to social functions where many attendees have advanced degrees or whatever. I've been in conversation with doctors and as soon as they get to the point where they ask,
"what you do for a living?" and I answer, "I work in a factory" there is a noticeable shift in their demeanor. Their attitude shifts from congenial and familiar to dismissive and haughty. I've had realtors...fucking realtors...tell me how lucky I am to have married a lawyer, how I've "married up" as if I don't bring anything to the table.

Perhaps I have a chip on my shoulder but I've decided to go back to school because many don't value the opinion of a blue collar worker.
>>
>>80623021

welp, anon, let me tell you a little story about the bar I work in...

The only person employed there without a college degree is Miles the dishwasher. Miles is a legitimately retarded 40 year old man.

You couldn't even bus tables without a degree and would be competing with Miles for a job. I guarantee Miles is a better dishwasher than you.

College is the new High School
>>
>>80623610
>>80624544
I'm just worried my 'rents will be disspointed in me for not going to college and earning a degree.

I just don't think I'm responsible for university, but if that's the case, I don't think I could make it in a trade job like welding.
>>
>>80625572
Blue collar is the backbone of this world.
Keep doing what you do, man. We need more blue collar.

> t. Machinist
>>
>>80623021
school is propaganda. and you're wondering why it's endorsing them to go through 5 mores years and their own cost? the country is garbage and you're wondering why garbage people are being produced?
>>
I kept telling all the dipshits in my high school to learn a trade, but they all felt a lot of pressure from their college educated parents. Meanwhile, my father is a factory worker and my mother is a paralegal, but they both said do what feels right. So here I am as an HVAC technician living well. It seems to me there's just a large stigma nowadays working in blue collar fields, when all through school we are told to think about our degree and what school we will go to like it's the only option.
>>
>>80626439
get a trade job that won't be obsolete in two years
If your parents are any sort of respectable and you explain it to them properly they'll understand. Remember that you're doing a trade school to get money and learn responsibility for University. They should be happy to hear that.
>>
File: 1329783856578.jpg (117 KB, 500x574) Image search: [Google]
1329783856578.jpg
117 KB, 500x574
>>80625572
White collar here, you blue collars are dependable motherfuckers. Don't get ticked off by haughty-taughty cunts who don't appreciate your work. The honest ones among us feel similar way when talking to some blue collars ("think you're better than me" shit after they ask you what you do).

people in general are stupid shits, having a degree or not doesn't change that
>>
because in ye olden days when the world was recovering from the wars, anyone with two feet to stand on was hired. these days there is actual competition from china and india e.t.c., grandad.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.