[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trucking Driving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 21
File: Kenworth_W900_semi_in_red.jpg (479 KB, 1914x1356) Image search: [Google]
Kenworth_W900_semi_in_red.jpg
479 KB, 1914x1356
Has anyone fallen for the truck driving meme? I heard you can make $70k starting, and that there is a huge shortage of drivers so they'll hire pretty much anyone.

Seems like a perfect way to escape NEETdom
>>
>>80545019
You'll be replaced by a computer by the turn of the decade.
>>
File: 1454263480730.png (101 KB, 210x195) Image search: [Google]
1454263480730.png
101 KB, 210x195
>>80545019
>$70k starting

That's total bullshit. Please come visit us on our /o/ thread.

Also >>80545220 is right. Anything that has to do with driving is a dying job. Don't settle for any retail shit either. Better off becoming something useful like a plumber or a welder.
>>
File: 213123213.jpg (101 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
213123213.jpg
101 KB, 960x731
>>80545220
>mfw my fork lifting job i did to pay for university has been replaced by automation

The robot revolution is going to hurt young males more than anything

watch this video and cry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDyi9Yipt7c
>>
remember your center of gravity

some dip shit flew off the third level, his trailer landed on the second level the frame landed on the divider on level two and the cabin was on ground level
>>
truck driver here. like any trade you start at the bottom. i got my CDL through CRST. 8 months driving for them and some paycheck deductions and i had my CDL more or less free. Started at $.23 a mile. most places you go to offer 40-50 cents per mile. Local jobs vary.
>>
>>80545019
Sure you make 70k but your cost of operating your truck is excessively high and you'll be blowing upwards of 50 percent to of your wages up keeping your fucking truck alone
>>
>>80545220

Ok, so turn of the decade you can either have been a truck driver for a few years, made some money, and gained some experience. Or you could have spent those few years shitposting in your cuckshed.

>>80546842

Really? Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?
>>
>>80546842
Yeah my dad used to do this until third worlders drove the driving price down. The only way to make decent money is dangerous loads such as explosives or team driving where you take turns.
>>
>>80545019

I'm on track to make a little over 60k this year. Not starting, gonna take a few years for that.
>>
>>80547049
>Really? Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?
If you drive a company truck you make virtually nothing. Own your own truck and you'll make tons more but you'll pay for upkeep on your truck
>>
You should get into hauling campers anon. You only haul one way and instead of a big semi you just drive a regular dually truck. I make $1.60 a mile to haul RV's.
>>
>>80547049
>Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?

Did you think you were going to make big bucks just driving around? Like a deliveryman? Being a trucker is more like owning a very small business. The driving is a somewhat small part of it, you've got to manage your margins carefully to actually milk money out of it.
>>
>>80545220
So only do it temporarily? Even if you only do it for 3 years, that's 210,000$. Enough to pay for college all up front plus several years rent
>>
>>80548066
>Even if you only do it for 3 years, that's 210,000$

You're like 16 or something, right
>>
I worked intermodal trucking dispatch for a number of years. 90% of truckers are the absolute scum of the earth, 10% are the coolest guys you'll ever meet. Good riddance to the industry I say.
>>
>>80547049
>Really? Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?
Nope. You buy whatever you can afford. Good news is that they drive for over a million miles so there are plenty of used ones.
>>
Long haul trucker here shitposting from my sleeper. Does working 14 to 24 hours a day and having literally no days off sound fun? For me it was either make 25k working at a furniture store or 50k driving a truck. If you're smart go become an electrical engineer. If you're not that smart become an electrician.
>>
>>80549319
>Good news is that they drive for over a million miles so there are plenty of used ones.

bad news is some places are total nazis about them and if your truck isn't new enough you wont be able to work in some areas in California for example because of emissions stuff
for example
http://www.portofoakland.com/port/seaport/comprehensive-truck-management-program/clean-trucks/resources/
>>
It will be fun for the first few weeks as you see cities you've never seen before.

But I imagine the lifestyle of living in motels and gas station rest stops probably becomes depressing as fuck eventually.
>>
>>80545019
Honestly if i didnt have a family i prob would. Its a nice way to see all of America. And im pretty sure of you own your own truck you can make several hundred thousand a year
>>
>>80545880
how bad was CRST?
>>
File: fele.jpg (29 KB, 536x727) Image search: [Google]
fele.jpg
29 KB, 536x727
>>80545019
>tfw I have bulging lumbar discs and extended driving makes me a cripple
I can still find a trade, r-right?...
>>
Best job ever ,
driving a Scania V8 trough europe like a badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5_wnbqktAE
>>
>>80545019

Cousin is a trucker. Makes under 60k a year, after upkeep with his truck and such. And he's never around, naturally.

I fell for the cyber security meme. Already got a job lined up for when I finish my studies. 75k starting.

>>80548066
>>80550011
ITT: Naive 17 year olds
>>
why are truckers such cunts?

i'm a security guard, stuck in a shack outside a warehouse. when a truck arrives, i have to jot down all their information (.e.g appointment number, driver license, trailer/tractor numbers, license plates, etc), then check their bill of lading and seals when they leave.

sounds like a simple and chill job, right? nope.

1 out 5 truckers is always a massive dick on some way. they get pissed if i take their driver license number. they get pissed if they have to wait 10 minutes. i've been close to getting into fist fights.
>>
it's a pretty good job, but getting in accidents sucks. they suspend you and shit. 3 strikes and your out basically depending on how bad they are. also, can't drink as much as you used to. golden age is kind of over expect for the fact that there is a lot of freight to be moved thanks to online retail
>>
>>80549778
Dem lot lizards doe
>>
>>80552720

I work the DMV can second this. They think they are hardened badass cowboys or something.

I usually just look right at them and tell them they're going to listen to my instructions and answer my questions or they will leave empty handed.
>>
kek, my cousin hasn't even been doing it 5 years and he's a massive fatfuck from truck stops
>>
Whatever salary you make now, becoming a truck driver is risky for your financial future because autonomous rigs will make you obsolete soon.
>>
>>80545019

In my country at least it is still a very blue collar occupation, average salary is about 50k a year. I like the idea of being a truck driver though because I am a loner and I enjoy experimenting with stimulants.
>>
>>80555355

I don't think this will happen soon. Truck drivers are trained to perform any maintenance necessary to keep the rig going on a delivery. Robots are not sophisticated enough yet to perform this role.
>>
I almost did, but when I found out they wanted me to drive all the way towards the CA-Mexico border just to take a year of classes (essentially college AGAIN) I backed out. Also, they don't start paying you until 3 months after you graduate, because you have to pay off truck insurance and the school fees.

Just give me an empty lot to practice driving the truck and then hand me a certificate. Not some year-long scam.

CR England, by the way. They're a scam.
>>
>>80554748
The lot lizards are ugly, dude. They're all manly chain-smoking mommas into Guns n' Roses. Like those shitty waitresses that take 20 smoke breaks and call sleazy rednecks by their names.
>>
>>80552312
Shhh shhh old fag.

Don't take the dream of summer.
>>
>>80555355
Just like autopilot for planes got rid of pilots right?
>>
>>80545019
Better make a a career in programming or engineering. I will enjoy taking your jobs with my robotic minions.
>>
>>80545554
>>80545220
This is bullshit.

All estimates of self driving cars are completely horseshit. The real world is far too chaotic and unpredictable.

There will be people sitting behind steering wheels of trucks for the next 2 decades at least. A lot of it might be automated (particularly highway driving) but it's a long way from full automation.

Now that said, your wages might go way down as the automation does increase simply because it needs less 'skill'
>>
>>80557616
There's also a lot of shit that can't be automated. Warehouse to warehouse can but there's a lot of specialized shit like construction and fuel. Also, moving refrigerated foods, th driver is also there to monitor and take care of it if the unit breaks down.

I the automation will take over some of the stuff but not all or even most.
>>
File: 1436667745024.jpg (17 KB, 297x310) Image search: [Google]
1436667745024.jpg
17 KB, 297x310
>did it for 3 years
>bought my own truck
>couldn't pay for diesel
>couldn't pay for food
>couldn't pay mortgage
>couldn't pay any bills
>had no choice but not file taxes
>8 years later owe the IRS $8,000

don't. fucking. fall. for. it.
>>
>>80545019
The main thing to understand is that OTR driving is a huge paradigm shift, lifestyle-wise. You're alone and bored 90% of the time, away from friends and family for days or weeks at a time, often working 70+ hours a week. If you're a loner-type I'd say go for it but even the it takes a number of years to get a good job/route. Most companies won't even hire you until you've got 2+ years experience which means you'll spend at least 2 years going through the proverbial ringer doing shit ass runs for shit ass companies. Think it out long and hard. It's not a shortcut to the middle class. It's a grunty fucking job.
>>
>>80558093
Even in an auto plant they do a lot of work but they can't do everything and idk how many times our line goes down because a robot is fucking up somewhere on the line.
>>
>>80545019
In 10 years you'll be out of work.

Self driving cars
>>
>>80558368

your jewish hand signals didn't get you free gas?
>>
>>80558957
Not with the way our infrastructure is going. Are you crazy? We can't even afford to keep lines painted. How are all of these self driving trucks going to get anywhere if there are no lines anywhere on any of the highways or exits? Avoiding wheel destroying potholes? Won't happen anytime soon. Sorry. These automation fantasies are annoying
>>
>>80547430
I used to hotshot campers outta indiana. its ok but a lot of dead heading. But then a new dually was a little over 30k now a lot more plus extra insurance between that and fuel cost I thought it had died out after early 2000's also
>>
>>80558957
Even if you're right, that's like saying "in 20 years they're gonna figure out how to manipulate DNA to halt the aging process, coupled with synthetic organs, most people under the age of 50 could wind up living forever." Like, okay, maybe, but don't bet the farm on it. And what about until then?
>>
>>80558957
Maybe long haul, but then they will still need people to pilot them into town for a long time.
>>
>>80556986
what the fuck is the point of this post? Yeah, no shit engineering or cs would be a better career option than trucking but if you live in a country without free education then engineering might not be an option
>>
>>80552720
My dad was owner operator trucker and I have hotshot rvs and furniture delivery. They are that way becuase 90% of the process is a hassel. dmv gives you hell hp gives you hell companies try to overload you I have literally seen my pops have to start a fight or even pull a firearm to get paid jews in ny get your money first never a check.Also people drive like shit.
>>
>>80552720
It's because truck driving attracts people with a personality disorder. since you're usually alone, that's the only job a crazy person can handle.
>>
>>80551707
How do you stop muslim scum from climbing all over your truck?
>>
>>80559783
Also dispatchers love to schedule your delivers that will make your logbooks nice and fat ticket wortgy
>>
>>80545571
damn
>>
File: 1366155125228.jpg (60 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1366155125228.jpg
60 KB, 350x350
Yes I fell for it.
>Can't drive stick
>Fuck up all the time.
>Backing up is actually a billion times harder than you would think.
>it's full of criminals with some honest guys
It's a expensive mistake to make. I paid for the course and couldn't complete it because I can't back up or double shift.
>>
>>80545019

You'll get mid 30k if you're lucky.

Also, truck drivers are absolute scum of the universe. I've never met 1 that wasn't a complete tool.
>>
>>80556810
More like how Predator drones are replacing manned bombers. Gradual phase-out, in manned missions, as the technology gets better.

Will never be 100%, but 80% will be a revolutionary change.
>>
File: 1468131849269.png (417 KB, 518x385) Image search: [Google]
1468131849269.png
417 KB, 518x385
>>80545571
mfw my career is robotics
>>
>>80559994
I did some truck driving years ago. Some of it is enjoyable, going to new places and being in control. Other parts suck like dealing with an irate customer or going into a ghetto. But I didn't want to do that the rest of my life so I moved on.

Plenty of the truckers I've met are usually fuck ups or people who are socially inept, or borderline psychotic. Met one guy at a truck stop who couldn't stop telling me about archaeology and aliens. When I had to pry myself away finally he started spouting "I've got human skulls in my closet!" Had enough dealing with those fuckers.
>>
>>80557616
This. its not gonna happen in our lifetime doubtful in our grandkids
>>
>>80559109
nice
>>
>>80545220
Automated driving won't be efficient enough for decades to come. Don't get ahead of yourself.
>>
>>80545019
There's also oil work
you get paid more than that and get 6months off a year
(the other 6 months you're working 12 hrs every day)
and the lowest positions have almost no requirements other than that you're in good health
>>
>>80560586
Robots or pajeet will replace that.
>>
>>80560749
It already exists.
>>
>>80560794
Good luck trying to get a job in that field though.
>>
my brother in law works for ups and drives big rigs. About 10 hours a day. He is union and makes over 100k a year due to overtime. He has been with ups 25 years. Pick a good trucking company and you can make bank.
>>
>work as overhead lineman
>still have to maintain class a cdl with like 6 endorsements
>could go do the trucking meme
I could travel like one if I joined the right company. But I love working for my utility it's cozy as fuck.
>>
>>80545019
Imagine you could browse 4chan while driving somehow safely? That would really be a great job. Maybe when auto drivers become a thing and they need someone in there just to make sure it doesn't fuck-up for the first few years or so.
>>
>>80559307
Don't be like those guys in the 1960s who said a computer will never be smaller than a large room required for a mainframe. Or the world will never need more than a dozen mainframe computers.

Computerized advances and their applications grow exponentially.
>>
>>80560821
robots will never replace humans in designing robots
>>
File: 1465344276239.jpg (50 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1465344276239.jpg
50 KB, 640x640
>>80560984
I got an interview with an apprenticeship for that.
What should I say or do to help me land it?

I'm not afraid of heights and know my way through some basic electrical work.

I also know a little about poles, like j-hooks,3 phase, Service line and power line.
>>
Also looking for a higher paying job. Work part time at walmart for 10 dollars an hour. 8 years ago I would be ecstatic and feel set but money isnt worth what it used to be. I'd like to make at least 12 dollars an hour preferably 15. Not sure where to look and for what.
I wouldn't take a job driving. You won't make 70k thats horse shit. More like 30k if your lucky, 40-50k before retirement. The self driving car thing is horse shit and repeated by neckbeard neats looking for another excuse to blame something for being a neckbeard loser. Self driving cars are decades away. At least 30-40 years. Neats dont understand how shitty robots are and how often they fuck up and kill people. Remember, its made by a person and todays modern engineer is barely able to do the math let alone think outside the box and innovate. Factor in the cheapness of companies and you have a ticking time bomb that will have insurance companies crying in pain and screaming BAN IT to washington.

I don't know what to do anymore. I've lowered and lowered my lifestyle as much as i can. I live in a camper on my mothers property. I pay the bills and take care of her (disabled) and even with thrifty spending between is we are always check to check. I drive a cheap car with good gas, I've lowered my standard, we use a minimum amount of power and turned the power off. We use a really small solar system and just go without. I don't get how people in town live off of this. I make 850 a month. Drive about 45 miles round trip to work.
>>
>>80560355
Double clutch shifting? Why are you having a hard time with that. Or do you mean floating gears. Also, backing up you just got turn the opposite ways of a trailer-less vehicle.
>>
Been driving for 4 months. Making about 1 thousand per week. I'm working for a smaller company and I do mostly cross country.
I would absolutely recommend this job to a single anon who wanted to see how the world worked. Live in truck and put away money.
>>
>>80545019
I work in a natural gas processing plant. Truckers while nice people are more or less niggers.
>>
>>80560984
How the hell do i get into the utility business without a degree? I mean anything. Seems really stable and better pay than the average job.
>>
>>80561204
are you really not prepared for the singularity?
>>
>>80549615
>If you're smart go become an electrical engineer

what now
>>
Every job sucks.
> Lawyers say their job sucks and to do something else.
> Doctors say their job sucks and to do something else.
> Teachers say their job sucks and to do something else.

The money is there for truck driving, and it's all about attitude, putting in the hours, and doing a good job like any other job. It's a huge step up from McDonald's or Walmart and the jobs will always exist.
>>
>>80561368
You cannot create something greater than yourself.
>>
>>80561285
I honestly think it was the truck I was training in. The gears weren't marked, Trainer was yelling at me the whole time and the truck to practice backing was one of those really old short ones that kept drifting.
>>
>>80545019

Uhhh they're lying to you. Sure maybe you can make 70k but you'll spent 50k on meth to drive 24/7/365
>>
>>80561459
Then what are children?
>>
>>80561248

>self-driving cars are 30-40 years away

holy shit do you know how long 40 years is? and they're already here.
>>
>>80545554
You can maybe do it if you never go home and work the max hours allowed, but not in the first couple of years. I looked into it and the entire industry looks and smells like poop, might be ok for old timers but unions were broken years ago. In this country they import drivers from all corners now who do it for minimum wage. I'd rather do something else for that wage, it's stressful and an unhealthy, don't even want to drive 10 hours a day.

It won't be automated, always need someone in the driver seat but same with airline pilots, sit there picking your nose monitoring widgets and gauges most of the shift? Fuck that.
>>
>>80545571
Join a smaller company that doesn't have enough space and funds to accommodate a fully automated system.
>>
>>80561337
There was a wal-mart account with X-Press that was REALLY fucking nice.

1,000$+ minimum(You get paid at least 1,000$ no matter what) You are home every night. Only catch is you have to live near a Wal-mart but they give you a couple of grand to move.
>>
>>80552720
>1 out 5 truckers is always a massive dick on some way. they get pissed if i take their driver license number. they get pissed if they have to wait 10 minutes. i've been close to getting into fist fights.

That's because you are a security guard, not because truckers are dicks.
>>
>>80545019
I pulled in a little over $85,000 my second year. Pretty cash. Getting ready to get automated though, so I'm jumping out of it.
>>
>>80545019

My dad was a truck driver and he made pretty good money, but he was an owner operator and also broke the fuck out of the law to drive like twenty hours a day. As a fleet driver you'll make less money (still not bad) and have a regular amount of free time.
>>
File: 1467006558328.png (1 MB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
1467006558328.png
1 MB, 1200x1697
>>80561248
Nigger, your working at Walmart for 10 dollars an hour and your holding your nose at a job that starts at 30,000 dollars a year and grows to 50,000?

You deserve everything coming to you in life. I really hope you make it but I already know your just going to leech off your parents until they die, take all their life insurance / money, and go on welfare after they run out.
>>
>>80561441
>Every job sucks.
Being a power engineer is good. Work 3hours out of a 12 hour shift. Sit on your ass surfing the net, watching TV, reading books, playing video games and pull down 35-65 an hour.
>>
>>80561900
I wouldn't take a job like that because I take car of my mother. She can't be left alone for long lengths of time. Also I dont feel like being in the midwest or 1000 miles away and the country going to shit and getting stranded. The US is NOT a safe pace anymore.
>posts anime
I can smell the jobless neet from here. Enjoy those tendies.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 843x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 843x433
>>80561459
I am constantly recreating myself better than myself

What is time?
>>
I have an uncommonly long layover. It gets hard camping in a truck. I have seen and done all the internet has to offer, watched all the movies and tv there is. I am irate as hell from looking at the news and pol insanity all the time. I need to find anything else to do. It was fun for a year and a half.
>>
>>80561247
I don't have much recommendation there mate. They did like it tho when I told them weather is not a issue to me. But you will enjoy your trade mate. I look forward to working every day.

>>80561364
I work for a electrical utility. If you have a cdl and your tabe scores aren't potato then you just sign on your books and boom you are in a union. I personally went through coon corps and was cultural enriched at a 80% Nigger population campus. Still got me ahead. Just have a cdl and worst comes to worst you work for pike.
>>
File: 1199.jpg (173 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1199.jpg
173 KB, 600x1067
>>80545019
>Seems like a perfect way to escape NEETdom

Drive for UBER.

Trucking may want some sort of resume or references or whatever.

Uber just wants a photo of your ID, insurance, and they do a background check to make sure you aren't a wanted criminal.

After "working" for UBER for a bit, then maybe apply for a trucking job, using your UBER experience/references/etc.

a lot of people will tell you a lot of reasons why UBER sucks, but this isn't supposed to be a dream job, its a part time job and its NEET friendly.

oh and you need a car too, obviously. look up your local requirements and buy something cheap/clean/fuel efficient. if your parents are fed up with your NEET bullshit, maybe they will even chip in to buy the car, if you explain what its for!
>>
>>80545019
big gay trucker network
gay republican truckers are everywhere

hauling santorum per mile must smell bad

>trucking industry so desperate for retarded rednecks they come to /pol/

just kys
>>
>>80547338

same goes for welders, oil field guys, smaller transport companies, etc. you don't make decent money unless you drive your own rig. it turns you into an independent contractor.

i drove company box trucks for a local moving company for a few years and made $20 an hour.

bought my own diesel and started pulling a company trailer and started making $40 an hour (and i can go to any company in town and make the same).
>>
>>80545019
I got a DUI in 2012 will they take me?
>>
>>80561441
Every job started sucking when men stopped being able to impress women simply by having a job.
>>
>>80562087
It takes a jobless neet to smell a jobless neet.
I'm actually going to school to drive trucks, have fun at Walmart being a door greeter at 60.
>>
>>80561537 Yeah and nobody is in real world now not virtual reality like late 90's experts all agreed.
>>
>>80552720
it's the industry not the drivers. They spend all day getting cut off and tailgated by dickheads, any accidents regardless of fault impacts them heavily, highway patrol and state troopers grill them constantly checking for any infractions, can be pulled over just to be checked out, weight stations with hour long lines just to make sure they're not overweight, in a field that mostly pays by mile or load where every minute wasted is money lost. Add to that the demonization by law makers constantly making new laws making their jobs harder ( if you're honest) and employers pressuring you to haul heavy or drive past 12 hrs ( laws against not sleeping every 12) both will get you in trouble not company.
TL/DR one of the hardest most stressful jobs there is.

Also a lot of companies have trucks but they pay shit and if there's a light out its your ticket. Or you get your own truck (owner operator ) pays better but insurance and upkeep is on you.
>>
>>80562226
Oh jesus christ you actually went through that. I went to the plantation or farm or whatever they call it and noped the fuck out.

The worst part was when the lady told me ''I've seen lil white bois like you come here and try to get a free ride of da system, you wouldn't last a week''. I fucking left.

>>80562573
Don't forget Rest/Truck stops and trying to find a place to sleep.
>>
>>80551707
>Scania V8
This looks like an assault truck and should be banned.
>>
>>80561204
>being this ignorant of the singularity
anon we're all doomed in the next 100 years
>>
>>80560355
Most large companies are going to automatics. Old fuckers don't like it but then they prefer to drive square boxes into the wind and get 5 mpg when i get 7.5-8. Long nose Pete drivers are almost all faggots.
>>
>>80562646
I get you man. That shit was rough, but unlike most of /pol/ that lives in their cozy upper class middle suburbs I've experienced what coons are like upfront. And the best part was I got a free trade out of it.

Shit was wild as fuck tho. I know I can survive a chimpout since that shit toughened me the fuck up. And hey abusing the hapa card is fun as fuck.
>>
>>80562818
Autos are for fags who need their right hand free to Jerk off hitchhikers they pick up for a quick protein pick me up
>>
>>80561378
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjAAC13al9s
>>
>>80561248
I'm gonna make 45-50k this year. Far from retirement. Tack on another 6 percent for 401k match and health and dental too.

If you're making 30k you're pretty stupid.
>>
So do long haul truckers just live on the road or what? I don't see point in maintaining a permanent residence. How much do hotels eat into their income?
>>
>>80562818
That's what pissed me off the most. I know it's best to get certified as a standard but I don't give a fuck and don't mind an automatic restriction because most large companies use them.
>>
>>80545220
I could use a full-time job in the interim.
>>
>>80563243
seems like it might work well for /out/ bros that want to camp all over the country

just watch out for niggerhoods
>>
>>80563243
You sleep in the truck. Or the company will pay for you to share a room with another trucker.
>>
>>80562203
Get a bike to ride and also work out nigger. It really helps and you can make fun of all the fat fuck truck drivers.
>>
>>80555921
Well if Google just leases out their smart trucks, they'll just program them to come back to HQ every month or so for repairs.
>>
>>80563087
I can drive stick. I hated the auto at first, but now I don't give a shit. I only care about making money.

If you need a phallic shaped object in your hand all the time, maybe you're the fag family.
>>
>>80563331
Is there a nice comfy cabin at least or do you just sleep on the chair?

Long haul trucking seems hellish desu
>>
>>80563243
Hotels will decimate any profit you make, also have to find parking and hope nobody robs you're truck/load. Unless you have a day cab ( truck with no bed) they have a bed already in them that you're paying for weather you use it or not, some have 2 and they can be way more comfy than some nasty ass motel
>>
>>80563651
You get a bed in the truck. People take those body pillow anime things and Dogs and roadsize hookers and everything.

Seriously look up trucker cabins, Werner has big stylized modern looking ones.
>>
File: DARLENE.png (165 KB, 418x265) Image search: [Google]
DARLENE.png
165 KB, 418x265
>>80556295

Donny DELETE THIS
>>
>>80563243
If you work the right place with an apu you'll have electricity and climate control without idling. Get a fridge. I have EpicVue which is basically directv. I have my doge with me. Work out all the time. Just bought a mountain bike and was riding in forests outside Seattle.
>>
>>80563831
If you're degenerate you can get Tinder sluts if you're layed over somewhere.
>>
>>80563958
you can store the bike in your truck??
>>
>>80564109
I strap it on my top bunk. Wheels and seat have quick release to come apart. Pretty light frame and not hard to get out. In 2 minutes I have it out and assembled.

The fat fucks look at you like you're stupid when I get it out but they'll be dead from heart disease and diabetes in a few years.
>>
>>80563573
Autos are way more unreliable, way heavier/harder to replace, and 5 to 6 grand more tHan stick to replace ( not including labor)
>>
File: 1461205256288.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1461205256288.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>80562386

Good luck when your insurance provider finds out you're using your car for Uber.

I've personally seen people get their cars repoe'd when the bank finds out they're using the vehicle for Uber.

>>80563958

If I ever decided to do trucking I would NEVER work for a company that didn't have APUs or a generous Idle policy.
>>
>>80549615
this. i work for schneider. literally work 15 hours a day and get 2 days off every 3 weeks
>>
>>80564370
I have a company truck. 115k on it now and I've never had a major breakdown. Company will trade it in around 300k but I can get a new truck almost every year if I want.
>>
If you're an owner operator and you don't fix/maintain your own equipment you're not going to make money. If you're a company driver you're not going to make money lol.( unless you have a perfect driving record and 10 yrs driving experience )
>>
>Trucking companies just about seem to be converting to automatics from manuals at last
>People are saying it's going to be fully automated within the decade

Are the people saying it's gonna be automated soon very retarded or am I just missing something?
>>
>>80545019
its got about 15-20 years before it goes away.

make the bank while you can.
>>
>>80564782
They are a bit slow.
>>
File: redditcancer.jpg (149 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
redditcancer.jpg
149 KB, 800x820
>>80561512

upboats 2 u my good sir
>>
Also the more specialized areas of trucking will pay better, stuff like

> tankers
> car haulers (like the big 10-12 car Stinger units)
> oversize
> fuel/hazmat
>>
>>80564782
The large carriers are all going to autos. Smaller companies keep the manuals.

The transmission shit is overrated IMO. Companies wouldn't use them if they were losing shitloads of money. Worry about your pay, benefits, and home time not the equipment.
>>
>>80560586
Its only a matter of time before someone creates a robot that can make better robots
>>
>>80564595
115k? You know that's nothing right? And a company truck, so if it broke down while shower once a month Shark was driving it you'd never know.
Also see >>80564719
>>
>>80565051
Companies are going auto because they hire monkeys that don't know how to drive and either shift every gear ruining the clutch or grind gears all days. Pro-tip: you only need the clutch for first gear if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>80565325
>so if it broke down while shower once a month Shark was driving it you'd never know.
I'm confused anon. What does this sentence mean.
>>
>>80565698

>you only need the clutch for first gear
fucking what? I've driven stick my whole life (cars not trucks) and I have no idea what you mean.
>>
I'm CFO for a small local trucking company in the Midwest. We specialize in oversized and hazardous loads. I manage the finances, secure new shipments, buy new trucks, etc. The bigger companies will move to the automated trucks eventually but we have no plans to switch from physical labor. If you want to get into trucking then find a local company that actually gives a shit about you. We might not pay the best but we value all our employees and we will never replace you with a machine. We have monthly company BBQs and we give each driver $1000 in cash at the end of the year tax free if they had no accidents and were mostly on time.
>>
>>80552720

This is because you don't understand the freight forwarding business.

Almost all truckers are hired by freight forwarders in order to move freight for their clients.

Freight forwarders don't actually own any trucks, but they pretend that they do (Think of Apple pretending that they engineer the components in their products when it's actually the suppliers who do the engineering).

Trucker information (Name and company) are kept private so that the ultimate consignee doesn't know which trucking company his freight forwarder used.

If the actual customer knew which trucker his forwarder/broker was using, he would just contact the trucker directly and cut the freight forwarder out.

The D/Os and delivery orders are needed so that freight forwarders/brokers have a document they can show to court if their customer sues them for missing/damaged cargo.
>>
>>80561248
I don't get how people end up in your position. Go apply at like any construction company. When I was 17 I worked minimum wage, $5.15 pulling low voltage wire during summer break, then got a dollar raise when I came back the next year. Then got on a scale wage job and got like $12 for a year. Then by the time that project was done, I was making $10 normally and went to night school for an associate's degree.
A few years later, I was making $15 and then got a job programming the shit I'd been installing for years and got $20 a hour and they paid 95% of the cost for me to get a bachelor's in mechanical engineering.
Now I'm 28 and make $80k and honestly and underpaid/overworked, but I like who I work with and I'm too loyal to leave.
>And I'm debt free, but looking to sell my city house and buy some land outside of town.
>>
>>80565698
I'm not going to say I don't disagree about hiring monkeys who don't know how to shift.

However, everything else in this world gets automated. Seriously, what is the gain in manual transmission over auto. The ECM already controls everything going on with the engine. Why not combine that with the transmission and maximize the vehicle performance? The only annoying part to me is when I'm climbing hills and it can't decide what gear to stay in so it keeps shifting up and down which can over heat the clutch.
>>
>>80548066
>there is an actual person that posted this seriously
>>
>>80565946
In a semi you can shift without the clutch, but it's a learned skill. Hell, in my personal cars you can too.
>>
>>80565923
I meant Sharik ( joke about smelly ass indian drivers). You didn't personally put 115k on the truck did you? Most company drivers don't exclusively drive one truck.
>>
>>80566037

>The bigger companies will move to the automated trucks eventually but we have no plans to switch from physical labor

Lol...

Why don't you just admit you're just a greedy fag who doesn't actually care about his employees and doesn't want to pay for automated trucks.

Do you really think trucks carrying valuable goods would drive itself without anyone overseeing the vehicle?
Even with automated trucks, truckers will still be needed to man the vehicles in case something goes wrong.
>>
File: 1468185732194.png (399 KB, 388x430) Image search: [Google]
1468185732194.png
399 KB, 388x430
>>80550011

Check'd
>>
>>80565946
After that, you slip it out of gear, drop the rpm's by easing off the throttle, until its down to the revs for the net up gear, then slide the shifter over into the net gear.
>>
>>80565946
You float gears in semis. You only have to let the clutch out to get moving and then as long as the rpms match you can "float" out of one gear to the next. It's incredibly easy. Downshifting, you just come outta the gear bump the throttle a lil and float into the lower gear.
>>
What about using a CDL to drive a school bus or transit bus? Local places are always hiring for cutaway bus drivers. Transit buses pay pretty well if you can tolerate working split shift during rush hours for a while. Or is that too much person to person interact for you NEETS?
>>
Also, I would recommend you fags go into bus driving for the city government.

You'll make far more money with better benefits (Incredible pension plans) with much less stress.

Based on my experience in the freight forwarding business, something always goes wrong in the delivery phase.

Must easier to just operate a school bus and makes $80+k.
>>
>>80561204
so? there's not gonna be millions of robot designer jobs out there. yes, every profession that is taken over by robots is going to have robot design/manufacture/maintenance jobs associated with it, but those jobs will be just a small fraction of the jobs they replace.
>>
>>80566433
Yep sure did. My 1st truck was used but I get new trucks now. New drivers get used stuff though. Glad I do cuz I don't smoke and I hate smoked in vehicles. Putting 100k+ is nothing. I try to do more than that a year. At least 10k a month.
>>
>>80566460
No, I (and many others) believe that trucking is a job that should be done by humans. There are too many things that can go wrong and I trust a well-trained human to handle those things better than a machine. I would have no problem investing in automated trucks and it would save us a ton of money in the long run. The issue is that we want to keep our company human. I don't want to run the finances of robots shipping things to other robots. I prefer the human element to be involved. We may lose money but by hiring humans instead of selling out to robots I am putting dinner on the table for a family or helping a little girl get piano lessons. It isn't all about money.
>>
>>80566562
I hear those jobs don't pay shit. And don't think about a greyhound type bus. They're the most dangerous things on the road right now.
>>
>>80545019

truck driver wages have increased faster than any other job in USA over the past 2 years, but self driving vehicles are coming sooner than you think
>>
>>80566340
>The only annoying part to me is when I'm climbing hills and it can't decide what gear to stay in so it keeps shifting up and down which can over heat the clutch.
Also the cost of replacing said Trans
Even small problems often need the entire Trans replaced where with a stick you could replace the broken part. You might not think it affects you being a company driver but the company factors it in when they figure out what to pay drivers. A lot of Trans replacements this year= shifty or no raise for you
>>
>>80565946
Trucks are a double clutch, you can "float the gear".

Double Clutch is different than regular clutch. You are supposed to press the clutch in, shift into neutraln then repress the clutch and switch into your next gear. Your RPMs have to be correct so downshifting you actually have to rev the engine to get the RPMs up when you shift into neutral, then downshift.

Anyway, you can float the gears without even using the clutch if the RPMs match.
>>
>>80566910

>There are too many things that can go wrong and I trust a well-trained human to handle those things better than a machine

You are still not giving a good reason why you can't have both.

You're just a greedy fag who doesn't want to invest in automated trucks.
>>
File: 1427595135392.jpg (403 KB, 885x1254) Image search: [Google]
1427595135392.jpg
403 KB, 885x1254
>>80545019
I deal with them very regularly. They are over worked and generally have little to any free time. Most use it as a means of supporting a family while rarely being home. It is a lonely and often dirty life. They have to dance loop holes in labor laws and tracking hours. Most have to cook their own logs to make trips they mathematically could not legally take while working hours they cannot claim.

It isn't the worst life but it is a tough one. Good news is there is always work and you can bring up a family even by proxy with a good wife. Bad news is you age like a pear and you have a 1/14 chance of committing suicide.
>>
>>80545019
I work as a truck driver and been driving for about 20 years. I made $125k last year. But I team hauled sports cars for rich assholes from the East Coast to the West Coast and back. You need a lot of experience and a good record to get a job like that.

Average starting salary for a first year solo driver is going to be around 40k-50k your first year. Second and third year you could be making as much as $70k, but don't count on it. You're more likely to make around $60k. Once you have 3 years you can work just about anywhere - this is where you can reasonably make $70k a year.

If you're willing to drive team you can work for a company like Swift or Knight. After your first year, as a team driver you can potentially pull as much as $70k, but it's a lot of work driving in 10 on, 10 off shifts and most people can't handle it.
>>
File: 1465533203647.png (86 KB, 343x352) Image search: [Google]
1465533203647.png
86 KB, 343x352
>>80566562

I drive school buses but there's lots of competition for the work and most bus drivers are entitled manbabies and/or drooling retards.

Besides the pay is even shittier than driving semis. I get $12/hr but my weekly hours are all over the fucking place. One week I'm getting 65 hours and the next week could be 30.

>>80566716

City transit pays decent but it's tough to get in at my city and you have to drive midnight routes in the nigger-infested neighborhoods for years before you get the good routes.
>>
>>80567202
>Most have to cook their own logs

Most companies use electronic logs these days. It's hard to be an outlaw anymore.
>>
>>80566926
Cutaway buses I don't think need a CDL and may only pay $14 an hour for private companies. Local transit company is hiring drivers without experience for
$18.50 - $26.43 Hourly
$38,480.00 - $54,974.40 Annually
>>
>>80567017
I agree it will be expensive to replace and fix. But, these are all under warranty. Company only buys new equipment. I've gotten the same raise every 6 months for over 4 years now plus bonuses. Honestly the problem for me isn't the equipment. It's shitty runs and sitting sometimes. I still get 100 bucks for every day I sit but it's boring and I can make more moving.
>>
>>80567202
>>80567403
It will be a requirement in less than a year for electronic logs.
>>
>>80567288

>City transit pays decent but it's tough to get in at my city and you have to drive midnight routes in the nigger-infested neighborhoods for years before you get the good routes.

Claim that you're gay and you'll get the job.

The US isn't a meritocracy anymore. All the immigrants are doing the hard work for slave wages.

The US is now an identity politics nation. All that matters now is your race, sexual orientation, gender, religion etc. etc.

An average white person will be poor and go unnoticed.
However, a gay lesbian transexual muslim black will have CEOs willing to stab each other and join ISIS just to have him join their company.
>>
>>80567410

Cutaway buses require a CDL if they're rated for anything more than 15 passengers.

In my city only stupid niggers drive those things because those types of buses are run by bottom-of-the-barrel companies that don't drug test.

And city transit is heavily run by unions and will favor seniority. You might be working 20 hour weeks or driving the shittiest routes for years before you get anything worth your time.
>>
>>80567410
If it has air brakes you still need that endorsement. Semis are a class A. I think shit like that is a class B or something.
>>
>>80559109
That's a Muslim thing.
>>
>>80567017
And when you're going down a hill in the rain, the Trans doesn't know it's raining or that you're going downhill. If it picks that moment to malfunction and not shift at all and you lock the brakes up trying to slow down you get to tell the crying girl bleeding from her head in an ambulance, " I'm sorry about your mother, but I can't be bothered to shift." They're dangerous unreliable and expensive.
>>
>>80566952

I think it's probably not the existing companies that are going to be really automating, what you worry about is if some billionaire decides to outfit 10 million self-driving uhauls; it could really mess with the economics of how things are delivered and snowball into even more automation.
>>
>>80561337
you're lucky as hell if you got into a small company as a new driver

i got my cdl a few months ago and i've been sitting on it until my mom is in a better situation. i've basically accepted my fate as employee #9001,000 making pennies
>>
>>80567632
Also see>>80567901
>>
>>80567721
In my city you can be hired as a weekend driver for no guaranteed number of hours or as a part time driver guaranteed 30 hours split shift with benefits during the weekday. After you've worked those shifts for a while you can be hired on as full time (not sure if it takes months or years). They have a 'pick' every 3 months or so to pick which routes they want to do and its all based on seniority. There are about 1,500 drivers and only about 5 leave a month not counting retirements.
>>
>>80567715
>All that matters now is your race, sexual orientation, gender, religion etc. etc.
I identify as a black, polysexual, transgender, orthodox Scientologist.
>>
>>80567901
>>80568105
I ride the jake down and drive for conditions. Honestly guy, I'm a professional and know what I'm doing. If trans decides to take a shit going down a hill, I'll have prepared for that and retain the ability to slow down and stop with my regular brakes.

There are a lot of guys who fly down hills relying on their jakes but if they need to stop suddenly they're fucked. I don't drive like that.
>>
>>80545019
Not really a meme. They do make a good amount of money but honestly think about if you want to drive all day for a living.
>>
>>80567901
Also you shouldnt shift going down hills. You shift into the gear you want before you start going down manual or auto.
>>
>>80567901
Huh? Are your trucks not equipped with paddle shifters?
>>
>>80545019
i rage out trying to make it the 5 miles to my current job now. no way in fuck would i be a professional drive-in-traffic-driver
>>
And if you're in an accident, even a minor one, it reflects horribly on your record, and if the accident was caused because a problem with the Trans that wouldn't have happened with a mani you're going to be pissed. I really don't hate autos that much, it was just banter in the the begining, to each his own. I would never use one myself, and if you ever get your own ( if you have even mediocre diesel mechanical knowledge you should) I hope you dont.
>>
>>80545019
Been there done that. Ex-trucker here with 10 years of experience.

For one, to make any real money you have to drive over the road. Maybe 3 weeks out on the road and 4 or 5 days home. The hours are brutal. On a normal week most driver work over 70 hrs (on the low end). Also, there is no over time. You get paid according to the miles you drive.

Most drivers will make around $25,000 on their first year. $40,000 to $65,000 on you second year if you're good, and don't get home sick to the point where it starts to affect your miles. It sounds like a lot for someone who probably doesn't even have a high school diploma, but if your take the hours you put in into account; it's fucking slave labor.

However, this is a good opportunity to make some extra money quick, invest in something, and get the fuck out.

Or start driving locally and get home every night. However, this pays shit. Well, your back to being a wage cock. Maybe make what an assistant manager makes at McDonald's.

that's all that I can think of right now, if you have any question.... I'm here
>>
File: 6049936083_20711229e3_b[1].jpg (285 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
6049936083_20711229e3_b[1].jpg
285 KB, 1024x681
I would consider getting into truck driving if the pay was better and we could get rid of pic related from our roads. Every morning, there's tens of these Vlantana trucks parked at the gas station on the truck parking lot, and around town as well, which are driven by people from the Balkans, who pretty much live in these trucks for shit pay and don't pay taxes in this country.
One year, winter came early and NO ONE of these had winter tires to change into, so they were stuck for months at the truck parking lot, living on fish and potatoes until spring came.
So for now, I enjoy the life of a truckdriver from the comfort of my own home playing Euro Truck Simulator...
>>
>>80562490
Usually you have to wait around 5 years to be considered.
>>
>>80561512

Are you saying that the current generation of NEETs are greater than their parents?
>>
>>80569158
How do you work over 70 hours when there's only 70 hours for the 8 day clock? If you're breaking regs its your fault. I'll tell a dispatcher to fuck off if they want me to do shit like that but it's never happened. I just say something feels unsafe and they shut up.
>>
Im a truck driver. i should make about 85k this year. i run my ass off with my co driver. home weekends too. not typical but if you can get a dedicated run its not too bad.
>>
>>80569618
Sometimes you have to wait a few hours to get loaded and off loaded. This is usually done off the clock. You only count the checking in with the customer and parking the rig was working. While you sit in the truck is considered off time.

In a normal working environment, this would still be considered working though.
>>
File: 1467847205895.jpg (143 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1467847205895.jpg
143 KB, 408x408
>>80561512
Exactly. AI has been developed that perform many tasks that far exceed human ability. Neuro nets, deep learning, and procedural generation combined with faster computing will lead to machines that can design optimized solutions for any task.
>>
>>80569618
Also, dispatchers cannot force you to work if you are going to break any regulations like you mentioned. BUT!!! they do have their drivers who get shit done. This is where you rack up the miles. FUEL in 20 minutes? sure Pick up a load in 15 minutes? why not.
You save up all your hours for when it's time to driver. The only place where you make money.
>>
>>80545019
Its not dead yet, and those in the business make roughly that money for Owner/Operator, but they only get like 3 days of home time.

I do not see robots fucking driving industry soon, that would spike unemployment very high.
>>
>>80569618
there is no 8 day clock in the trucking industry. You can log in up to 14 hours (not all driving) in a regular working day. Forget your 8 hours days, and two breaks, and your hours lunch. You are going to make peanuts with that kind of mentally. That is one of the main reason the turn over is so high in this industry. If you can last more than six months with a company; you will be part of their oldest drivers.
>>
>>80570418
Humans need not apply.
>>
>>80555087
You work at the DMV. Don't act like you're better than literally anyone
>>
>>80545220
not for huge ass trucks
not even close for that
>>
i know a truck driver and he says its a hard life. its a lot of practice, and you have to know all of the trucking laws for each state. You don't get to shower often and you NEVER eat well/healthy. he says finding a place to park and sleep can be damn near impossible.
>>
>>80552720
I assume it is some combination of
>you're always alone
>you get paid by the mile so time is money (think of construction)
>asshole normie drivers
>cops can fuck with you for no reason
Lord help you if you have a wife and kids

>>80555355
Highly unlikely. Only way that'll happen is if they build a dedicated lane for them.
>>
>>80571118
Believe it or not but such technology is already in development. Driving down interstate highways isn't particularly strenuous for a computer to do
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nB5XuVZobw
>>
One of my first jobs was a long distance dispatcher for an interstate moving company.

I was surprised to learn that most truck drivers, at least the guys that go interstate, own their trucks. There may be options for a driver to buy a truck through the company in some fashion, but that means they basically own the driver like a slave. I remember we didn't even really recommend it on our end at all, but it is an option.

>>80569618
Any dispatcher/dispatch crew that is upstanding in any sense would actually make sure the driver does not do too much. We kept track of our drivers very carefully to make sure they didn't go too far in one day. If they did then we'd know he was working too many hours which can A) be legal trouble depending on where you are and B) dangerous.

If as a dispatcher we let this happen we also get in trouble.
>>
>>80552720
Just move a little quicker when I pull up OK... Like you actually have a purpose... The hooker i got in the back of my rig charges by the hour.
>>
>>80574115
Fuck you m8, I can't tell you how many times I've had assholes roll up to my truck gate without licenses, paperwork, or seals. Or jacked up temps on reefers. Or break down in my truck lane and back shit up to the highway. Or smell like absolute death walking in, sometimes without shoes and a shirt on. Or struggle to roll out of their La-Z-Boy on wheels and take 10 minutes to walk the 30 feet inside. I'll start respecting y'all when y'all start respecting yourselves, this includes policing each other.

We had 2 dumb African motherfuckers get in a full blown Boko Harem fight on the yard over a fucking dock door. Stupid cunt pulled a machete on a guy who allegedly took his door. Surprisingly the guy with the machete promptly got hit in his nose and lost that one
>>
>>80545019
enjoy dying of a blood clot in your leg from driving for so long
>>
>>80555087
>I work the DMV
Are you black?
>>
>>80560613
m8 have you even heard of google cars? they don't work in snow yet but they're already 1/3 of the way done.
i say 1/3 since i imagine snow & adverse conditions is a lot harder than ideal.
>>
>>80573234

It's unmeasureably harder than trains. And only automated trains we have are simple subways/monorails for now.
Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.