[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /pol/ opinion about gentrification?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 18
File: gentrification.jpg (208 KB, 700x980) Image search: [Google]
gentrification.jpg
208 KB, 700x980
What's /pol/ opinion about gentrification?
>>
>>80492521

Doesn't solve the problem, just relocates them.

Although it's kind of doing good in Atlanta. White people are about to outnumber blacks and the Millenials are pushing them well south of the city, where there is nothing other than the airport.

Sucks if you're south of the perimeter but, hey, fuck you.
>>
>>80492521
Good as long as it keeps the shitskins out.
>>
File: 1468078562322.gif (2 MB, 989x3998) Image search: [Google]
1468078562322.gif
2 MB, 989x3998
Its an improvement
>>
>>80492521
Could be the answer to our city dindu question.
>>
Ops, i forgot the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/dec/10/belgrade-top-down-gentrification-worse-than-cereal-cafe
>>
>>80492521
How does gentrification and white flight not cancel each other out? Also why are both examples of black oppression?
>>
>>80492521
Obama's hires at HUD are going to force Section 8 housing on the most white areas to punish white flight so there will be no area too gentrified and scum free.
>>
It's great.

go be poor somewhere else, literally
>>
>>80492677
This. Millenial hipsters are making Atlanta tolerable.
>>
>>80492521
The poor should be put to work on a reserv and the slums they hold hostage should be developed.
>>
>>80492869

They don't have to cancel each other out. Using Atlanta for example, I don't give a fuck if the blacks move to counties 10-15 miles away from the city. There is no industry or economy there. Let them wallow in their own filth. But if they can fuck out of Atlanta and we can bring back business to the areas they ruined? Good.
>>
Can we push them all the way to detroit? Blacks can have detroit.
>>
>>80492521
Brooklyn is like this almost every where, the housing projects near where i live are now totally surrounded by multi million dollar home. ( refurbished brown stones) The nig nogs are contained in that area and have even calmed down a lot over the last 15 years, must be something in the water.
Funny thing about all this is that the Hipsters and trust fund babies moving in are the same whites that are some time pushing the BLM bullshit... gonna come back and bite them in the ass one day.
>>
>>80493479

>Get BLM to declare Detroit indeendent
>All the niggers that consume their bullshit flock there as if it was going to be an Utopia
>Trump wins elections
>Niggers discover what a mistake it was
>Border's closed suckers
>>
>>80492521

A symptom of Leftist disease spreading through our system and the slow extermination of the working class
>>
>>80493882
>and the slow extermination of the working class
robots will be everywhere in 10 years anyway
>>
Say what you will about hipsters, but I'd much rather deal with them and their fixed-gear bikes than crackheads.
>>
>>80494284

The robots are already here; just look at anyone on their cellphone playing Pokemon Go.
>>
"Gentrification," or rather the hysteria surrounding it, just highlights leftist hypocrisy.

Whites leave an area?
>Wow racist whites don't want to live next to blacks! White flight!

Whites move to an area?
>Wow whites are trying to destroy black culture! Gentrification!
>>
wait.. are you telling me people renovate and improve their buildings? its almost as if this was happening since people first built mud huts
>>
>>80492997
You're welcome!
>>
>>80495281

But they're NOT MINORITIES!
>>
>>80492521
there's nothing wrong with gentrification of old industrial district, the thing that upsets people is gentrification of low class residential/commercial areas

personally i love gentrification, i'd really like to see gentrification in some parts of the center of my city where muzzies and congo niggers have decided to live, crazy how those places went to shit in just a few decades, they look so dirty now and they're filled with kebab shops, nig hair salons and wig/extension shops, halal butchers and those sort of things but the architecture there is actually pretty plus it's the center of the city so you can't really avoid those places, especially if you're a tourist. thankfully it's already happening
>>
File: sheriff clarke.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sheriff clarke.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
not a real issue

ghettos ruin cities. whites complain about ghettos. blacks complain about not being able to afford to move out of the ghetto.

it raises property values, and it gets blacks into concentrations that they can become indoctrinated in and become civilized

tl;dr:
>demolishes shitty neighborhoods
>less crime
>more property taxes
>>
>>80492842
Pls no. It's be being build with Middle East blood money and imposed on us even tho literally no one supports it but the people in power.
>>
>blacks moving out of inner cities into suburbs/rural areas
>whites move into inner cities from suburbs/rural areas
>suburbs/rural areas become hell
>cities become a paradise

trading places
>>
>improving shitholes to better things
I see nothing wrong with it
>>
>>80492869
white flight is what conservative whites do, gentrification is what "hip" leftist faggot whites do.
>>
>be white kid
>grew up in the ghetto around blacks
>parents work hard and move us out to the burbs because of this
>10 years later
>ghetto I grew up in has hipsters everywhere and is nice
>suburbs I live in is slowly being filled with more and more nogs
>>
It's good when it clears out people below my income level/class.
It's bad when it clears out people at my income level.
>>
Fugg I need to get rid of the nametag...
>>
>>80492521
investment scheme

makes me a lot of money, but so too does it all these fucking chinks coming in
>>
File: 1467166632298.jpg (65 KB, 1223x252) Image search: [Google]
1467166632298.jpg
65 KB, 1223x252
>>
File: 41t253t465e7utui.jpg (85 KB, 591x201) Image search: [Google]
41t253t465e7utui.jpg
85 KB, 591x201
>>80497738
Hipsters make great company.
They get loads of shit, but I loved living in a student city. It's safe. It's active. Loads of attractive girls with high IQs. The only downside is that it is politically leftwing, which means many people on /pol/ will be at odds with the majority of the population on some things.
>>
>>80492906
FUCK YOU GREASEBALL
>>
>>80492521
gentrification is an improvement in black-populous neighborhoods

but in some places, like france, it just ends up fucking impoverished whites
>>
>>80492521
"God damn all these rich white folks, coming into our neighborhoods, throwing money at local businesses!"
>>
File: 978x.jpg (107 KB, 978x550) Image search: [Google]
978x.jpg
107 KB, 978x550
>>80492521
you should come to Oslo then
>>
It's a concept invented by sumg liberals to make people think they care about the poor minorities, who then actively participate in the process.
Like literally all that is happening is extremely cheap property is being bought up by smart investors/entrepreneurs who then create a successful housing location/business which then increases property value. This then keeps going until the neighborhood is too wealthy to be affordable to poor families. I don't understand the problem of this.
Would people rather we leave buildings boarded up and bombed out and instead just give gimmedats do blacks?
>>
>>80498306
This. My school is in a ghetto and a girl here always posts on kikebook about how we have to be sensitive to the locals' ways of life etc, and she apologizes for gentrifying the area. For the record, the school hasn't moved in 150+ years, she lives on campus, and all of the local businesses she (and all other students) visits are owned and operated by locals. I don't get where the bitching comes from.
>>
>>80498778
Virtue signalling. She (and Leftists/Liberals in general) want to show off how holy and pious they are. They then try and shout over each other to assert their dominance as the most pious.

It just so happens that currently, being a braindead cuck = virtuous. But trends change. It used to be about who was the most Christian, it used to be about who could be the most pro-eugenics, it used to be about who could be the most FREEDOM, etc. This is a simple facet of humanity. It happens all across the world and has always been happening.

So our job is to make sure when the trend changes, it changes to something good.
>>
the only drawback is when old parts of cities that have old architecture get turned into shitty concrete+glass starbucks parking lots that look identical to the rest of them.

>>80493882
there hasn't been a working class in the USA in decades. those few who do work in manufacturing or at the docks can certainly afford to live in places other than the ghettoes that are being 'gentrified'
>>
>>80498168
>The only downside is that it is politically leftwing

This sort of shit gets really annoying, though. There's no security in it, either, because these people will up and vote away everything that makes the place worth living in in the first place. They will put mosques fucking everywhere, be the first to jump at the chance to house """refugees""" and other undesirables.
>>
>>80492521
I abide
>white hipsters clean up rundown hood
>nigs can't afford to live there
>good coffee, good beer, pretty girls
>>
>>80492521
It's a good thing, as long as its allowed to happen naturally

Prices in Copenhagen are soaring atm. Over the last decade the old junkie neighbourhood of Vesterbro has been turned into OP's pic related

The problem is that there's a whole lot of governemnt intervention to keep prices down. E.g. some fraction of all rennovations and new buildings must be "public benefit" housing, which is a series of requirements for affordability etc. The result is that getting to live in the city becomes a lotterty with you and everyone else competing for a very limited amount of charity housing. Those who lose get left outside. If all normal people were driven out by high rent prices, at least we'd create communities elsewhere
>>
>>80499370
And then move when it's a shithole
>>
>>80492521
Urban gentrification is only possible because section 8 vouchers moves the nigger plague to suburban apartments.
Leftists should be forced to live with the problem they created, not dump it on others.
>>
>>80492521
Creates more income and pushes the "undesirable" out

I don't see what the problem here is?
>>
>>80492521
>black people
>hard working white people
>hipster white people
>jews
>>
>>80499534
Where do the "undesirable" go?
>>
>>80499678
It doesn't fix the nigger problem, it just moves it.
>>
>>80499678
Germany
>>
>>80492521

All people have to do if they don't want their neighborhood gentrified is make it average-nice. There are decent working class neighborhoods which avoid a steep increase in housing values that way - they are less-attractive targets for gentrification because there isn't a huge return on investment on renovating.
>>
>>80499490
Exactly. Because they are the upper class that can afford to switch homes like a pair of clothes. I've seen people do it and even then deny it has anything to do with the policy they constantly supported.
>>
>>80492869
White flight is bad for the same reason companies moving overseas is bad. If you think white flight is okay, you must think offshoring is okay. It's the exact same thing.

Gentrification is bad because it pushes poor people out of their neighborhood. It's basically the same thing as eminent domain. You're not solving poverty, you're just pushing the poverty to a different town.
>>
>>80499802
good one
>>
it improves shitty neighbohoods, displaces neer do wells. does not solve their income problem. this is not a new phenomenon. its been happening in cities since the dawn of urbanity.
>>
>>80492521
As a Bohemian, I dislike the cultural appropriation.
>>
black americans make bad urbanists. their dysfunctional social structure is apparent in their neighborhoods. notice mexican/latino neighborhoods remain cohesive and less fucked? that because their marriage rates are much higher. niggers need to get it together if the want to keep whitey out of their neighborhoods, increase their gdp and make their families stronger....
>>
>>80500034
Taking blame for when you fucking shit up is not OK anon!
>>
>>80493018
>>80493696
>>80493882
>>80494576
>>80496199

While keeping the poor away is good, I lament the loss of character of these areas, especially neighboors that, while poor, still visibly have characterics of what it was, instead of what it will become under millenials

either way, its either a ghetto shithole that i cant live in OR its a gentrified area with 5x property prices with $1000 for a 1br that I cant live in or afford
>>
>>80500255
>>80500255
you niggers are the first to gentrify a neighborhood. you do the heavy lifting and all of the lookey loos eventually take notice. hipsters are like the remora of urbanity, just along for the ride.
>>
File: 1467133390552.jpg (37 KB, 366x535) Image search: [Google]
1467133390552.jpg
37 KB, 366x535
>>80492842
>worse-than-cereal-cafe
>>
Gentrification is amazing. The only drawback to it is how outrageously expensive it makes property values, but unfortunately the price is what makes it possible. It's worth the money anyway.
>>
>>80500255
Not the real bohemians, the degenerate hipster trash bohemians
>>
>>80499370
Yes, that is the irony of it.
>>
>>80500522
Different type of bohemian...
>>
cities have always been a nest for diseases and there is no way to practice shooting in. only niggers and richfags should liver there
>>
>>80499533
So lefties should be forced to become racist?

Leftards only exist because they don't deal with the shit they peddle. This effect can be seen in other groups, like gypos and the french.
>>
File: 1448086709447.png (73 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1448086709447.png
73 KB, 900x900
>>80492521
>Poor white crackheads surrounded my town
>Middle-class Mexicans came and stole all of their property
>No one complains about break-ins anymore
>Nice houses are getting built
>No one cares if you burn garbage in your backyard
>No one tries to control anyone elses life
>The first and last murder we had was perpetrated by 2 white drug addicts that murdered an old couple down the street from me

I'd rather have hard-working Mexicans than drug-addicts any day.
>>
>>80492521
It's a good thing; nobody likes a slum.
>>
>>80500970
We need mexi-cans, not mexi-cunts
>>
>>80494355
This. And the girls can be pretty cute as well.
>>
>gentrifier: hmmm, sure it was a crime-infested shithole before but didn't this neighborhood just have so much more character. Wow, gentrification sure is bad. Oh well back to my latte at my open floor office!

>Person being gentrified: Oh no, I have to go farther than the 3 stores that still exist in my neighborhood and charge bodega markups for goods and services or leave this third world-tier shithole and find another third world shithole/public housing. I'm being displaced and my life is being disrupted. I've been unemployed for 5 years btw.

Gentrification is white people pretending to feel bad and working class people pretending their neighborhood was a good place to live or that they actually work.
>>
>>80494355
>fixed-gear bikes
is this a thing? wtf
>>
I think the real problem people have with gentrification is just who's doing the gentrifying. Gentrification done by wealthy Americans is good. It brings money to otherwise very poor areas. Unfortunately, the sort of gentrifying you see in cities like San Francisco and Seattle aren't done by Americans. It's foreign nationals buying property for the sole purpose of getting their money out of America. They don't use these home, nor rent them out. They just sit unused, seen as nothing more than an excuse to get most likely illegally acquired funds out of reach of their governments. It becomes a race to the bottom with home owners, who crank up prices because they know Joe Ching Chong will buy it anyway. Hell, it make it more convenient to buy a single high priced home than multiple properties, to boot.

There needs to be extreme regulations on foreigners buying property in the United States.
>>
File: 1453671211334.png (50 KB, 241x276) Image search: [Google]
1453671211334.png
50 KB, 241x276
Denver here: you'd think having affluent whites flood your town would be a good thing, but it's not. Better than nogville, that's for sure; it's an abstract kind of hell.
>>
>>80492521
It ruins the point of the ghettos: containment.
If the filth isn't allowed to be purged at least keep them segregated.
I wish my country would finally start geographically segregating. Instead the gov is spreading the gypsies all over the place.
>>
>>80501434

Cheaper, more reliable. If you're constantly doing stop-and-go because of street lights and stuff, it doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>80492785
It seems Ben isn't a fan of shitposting.
>>
>>80501484
It's destroying London, there are streets and streets in central London lying empty
>>
>>80493757
>Detroit

Yeah, we share a border with that sinkhole.

How about Oakland?
>>
>>80501434
maybe like 5 years ago. Hipsters wouldn't be seen dead on one now
>>
File: 20150319122345_27184.jpg (581 KB, 719x1024) Image search: [Google]
20150319122345_27184.jpg
581 KB, 719x1024
>>80501616
It's also abusive of parts that aren't designed for those kind of forces and inefficient braking. It can be good for training purposes as it makes your muscle groups apply forces differently, but overall there's no major reason to do it. Cable pull brakes and derailleurs aren't hard.

t. /n/
>>
>>80500970
pedro stop lying
>>
>>80502078
He forgot the downsides
>No silence at all
>You MUST go to every party, it's a rule (you fucking weird)
>All non-mexican food is banned
>English outlawed
>>
>>80501945

I'm not overfond of them myself, but they're pretty common in Montreal and Toronto, I can say that much.

I like having the option of just coasting without my pedals spinning around for no reason. Having at least a couple different gear ratios is nice, too, since I've always lived in areas with lots of hills.
>>
>>80502078
I'm not lying. It's just the way things turned out.

>>80502215
English isn't outlawed, but my neighbors don't invite me to any of their parties.

There's constant silence almost every night except for the occasional party. (Which occur once or twice a month)
>>
>>80502465
>but my neighbors don't invite me to any of their parties
Hahahaha.

They hate you.
>>
>>80492521
Good, it forces gangs and scum to regroup and that makes them manageable. They are not organised in the sense that they can just 'move' their business. Keep moving them around, don't let them settle or come at ease. Let them know their neighbourhoods are a target for forced improvement so they cannot get too cocky or they have to leave again. Make sure to replace it middle-class apartments and not just high end accommodations.
>>
>>80501484
i live in portland. i "hear" about all cash offers on home all over the city but i dont have proof they are foreign nationals buying up homes as an investment. i think that shit is all over vancouver at this point though so it wouldn't suprise me that we would see this happening in desireable markets. tell me more.
>>
>>80492521
It's great- revitalizes urban areas that have fallen into disrepair and are abandoned. If that means crackheads have to go somewhere else, not my problem. They belong in rehab anyway.
>>
>>80492842
>cereal-cafe

WTF is cereal cafe?
Barley?
>>
>>80502943
Oh, wait. Forgot that in english cafe is the name of the place where you drink coffee and not...well coffee itself.

Fucking english and their idiot use of foreign words.
>>
>>80502943
breakfast cereal, £5 per bowl incl milk
>>
>>80503116
cafe in portugese is café
>>
>>80501536
That's because Denver is now a dudeweed mecca. Not really the case for most other cities.
>>
>>80500505

I enjoy renting out the two apartments in my building to these hipsters, they fucking almost anything. 500 sq ft for just under 2800 a month.
another ten years or so and i will sell the building and move to upstate NY.
>>
>>80500505
>either way, its either a ghetto shithole that i cant live in OR its a gentrified area with 5x property prices with $1000 for a 1br that I cant live in
This.

It's like there's no middle ground or, if there is, people come in and ruin it.
>>
>>80492521
On the whole its a pretty good thing, especially if you can afford to live in the gentrified areas. Say what you will about Hipster Millenials, but they make fine locally made products and do clean up most neighborhoods after moving in.
>>
One of the main reasons I'm an angry white male - which in turn is why we're all here - is the housing market and how hard it is to afford even the smallest shitty apartment. Stuff like this drives prices up for everyone.
>>
File: rats.jpg (140 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
rats.jpg
140 KB, 640x420
I don't think gentrification is "wrong", but I find it depressing. You have the original artists who move to an area because it's cheap, the area gets a reputation for being bohemian, then all the band-wagoner hipsters and businesses flock there and drive out the poorer people who originally moved there for the cheap rents. Herd mentality, people who want to live in cool areas but lead to its demise.

More annoying and ironic is that the sort of people who cause gentrification are the sort of people who whine about money and business driving out the poor and minorities from an area. Berlin is a prime example of this. Literally every hipster douchebag Brit has, at one time or another, mentioned the possibility of moving to Berlin.
>>
>>80503711
yeah... true but the local bars are filled with A-holes and conversations i just cant understand.
>>
>>80503711
dude. hipster millenials are the last to move in. they didn't make the neighborhood trendy, they are the ones who moved in after it became nice. ghetto eventually begets artists and counterculture types, then homeowners while home and rent are still cheap, boutique-y business follows, then chain stores. by that time hipsters take notice and move in. process begins in the next cheapo neighborhood. hipster are leeches, not actual neighborhood builders. but yeah, the fancy restaurants make tasty food.
>>
>>80492869
Niggers want the benefits of living among whites, but not behave accordingly or pay pay the price for it.

>niggers move into nice neighborhood
>chimp it up
>crime up
>prices down
>whites move away

------ PAUSE------

>whites move in
>prices up
>crime down
>chimping goes down
>niggers move out
>>
>>80503486

They literally installed sharps disposal bins where the urchins congregate. While that's good from a public health perspective, it says a lot about what's changed. I die a little every day.
>>
>>80500094
>voluntarily moving is the same as politicians fucking over their own citizens with trade deals
>>
>>80493696
Not me bro, I'm going to college in Brooklyn and I'm about as redpilled as they come. There are more of us than you think.
>>
>>80503503
>>80503595

works well for the property owners, but like you said,

theres no middle ground, either you're HUD housing niggerfest, or its upper class trust fund kids. middle class guys like me who just want a place to live with some character are fucked
>>
>>80504526
portland is doing this now also. fuck this junky city!!
>>
>>80492521
MOST HATED COUNTRY ON /POL/
strawpoll.me/10713853

strawpoll DOT me SLASH 10713853

strawpoll.me/10713853

>>
I don't see the problem:

>live in poor neighbourhood
>tons of rich stores and apartments pop up near you
>value of your rundown home goes up
>sell it for 5x as much as you otherwise
>move to same rundown neighbourhood you originally lived in, but with a ton of more money in your pocket

What am I missing?
>>
It helps everyone. Even blacks. Blacks get pushed out of areas that have higher prices due to whites moving in. This causes a surge in need for housing. Private sector and government subsidize new housing sections, more houses=more money.
>>
>>80504866
it's Turkey but Canada deserves it more
>>
>>80504939

>implying ghetto trash own home

They rent and live from paycheck to paycheck.
>>
>>80503116

We used to call them coffeehouses, in proper Germanic fashion, but Francophiles have fucked our language.
>>
>>80504866
Why isn't Israel even on there you jew motherfucker, you.
>>
>>80504768
Same with storefronts. It's either a bombed out boarded up shithole or a ritzy jewelry/clothes/coffee store. God forbid you want to open a toy store or computer service shop or print shop or anything else.
>>
>>80492677
Fucking this, I live south of the perimeter and plenty of apartment complexes are going and and muddying the good schools there.
>>
>>80503369
and so is coffee, so a café is where café is sold
>>
File: isay.jpg (94 KB, 900x726) Image search: [Google]
isay.jpg
94 KB, 900x726
>>80492521
I hate gentrification! Right now the city is moving housing projects into my nice on-the-outskirts-of-the-city neighborhood and fucking with everybody's property values!
>>
>>80492521
I like it
>shit neighborhood with violence finally stops
>gets the gent treatment
>know comfy af
>>
>>80502215
I could deal with all Mexican food.

Our food is just better. Aztec master race!
>>
>>80492521
Great, compare old NYC and new NYC, before you'd be killed just for walking on the wrong part of town; now you're more likely to be ran over by a cab.
>>
File: 1467575500997[1].jpg (173 KB, 1136x1320) Image search: [Google]
1467575500997[1].jpg
173 KB, 1136x1320
>>80492521
>What's /pol/ opinion about gentrification?

White man being imperialistic on a city scale, pushing out poor black folk so he can turn the low rent buildings into hipster cafes and tabletop games clubs. Racist as fuck.
>>
>>80504722
Likewise homie, have to hide in plain sight. Sometimes I get drunk and talk about Trump at bars when I hear hipsters talking shit though, nobody is perfect
>>
>>80492521

i love it. They gays gentrified my city and I am forever thankful to the LGBT community for doing so.

God bless the gays! I've never had a problem with them.
>>
>>80492677
>ultra-leftist millenials are better than bro-tier working class blacks
Granted gentrification is good for clearing out nogs, but a lot of working class black neighborhoods are being wiped out in the process as well
>>
It is a massive positive, so much so that even the most liberal cucks in the establishment agree that there needs to be more of it [1]

What kills a neighborhood seems to be certain urban youths ENTERING the area -- not them leaving it, and certainly not millennials "replacing" them (which is not true anyway)

[1] http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/01/the_gentrification_myth_it_s_rare_and_not_as_bad_for_the_poor_as_people.html
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 299x168
For a good example look at the 7th Ave and McDowell area of Phoenix, AZ.

However... sometimes.. I honestly feel like I'd rather it have stayed the illegal Mexican shithole hive it was before turning into hipster central. I was at a coffee shop in that area talking with my wife about the AR I was building and got tons of dirty looks from the left wing hipsters. Never went back. Was more uncomfortable with the Marxist college kids than those they drove away.
>>
>>80507257
>uneducated and unsuccessful people are better than educated and successful people who have a different fashion sense and world view than mine

You are delusional. Think about what you wrote for a moment.
>>
>>80492521
The state should evict the niggers and take the apartements fromt he kikes that own them. Both should be deported.

Boom, cities are now nice places to live. No need for "gentrification". All we need is a bit of fascism.
>>
>>80506416

The already-gentrified parts of NYC are becoming a corporate farce that no one but jet setters, bankers and old money can afford though

It was good up to a point for sure but there are also downsides
>>
>>80494355

This. I laugh when people complain about hipsters, because what they bring with them (higher priced retail, walking around in slightly annoying clothing) usually pales in comparison to stuff like criminals and dilapidated housing.
>>
>>80492521
As long as it doesn't become a (((postmodern))) abomination like in the pic
>>
>>80507860
Yes. Large swaths of NYC are every bit as alienating and unlivable as they were back in the day, but for the opposite reason.

And I don't give a shit how many hookers there were, I miss the old Times Square when it was still an actual intersection and not an open air shit market with pedo Elmos and nogs selling their mixtapes to midwestern tourists. Worst thing they ever did.
>>
>>80492521
when whites leave it is white flight, an das racis

when whites come it is gentrification, an das racis
>>
File: Two_Prudential_Plaza.jpg (132 KB, 600x1055) Image search: [Google]
Two_Prudential_Plaza.jpg
132 KB, 600x1055
>>80508108

That's not really post modern. I think a lot of people here could actually appreciate post modern architecture.
>>
>>80500505
>the loss of character

Typical leftist.
>>
>>80508966
Taking housing and stores that were built at different times across 100 years and replacing it with one modern building with questionable design is not a loss of character?
>>
>>80509357
No it's not.
>>
>>80492842
>rich people make poor people poor
>building business in a destitute town is wrong
>>
>>80498168
Bristol is the shame of the SW.
>>
It's not so much the people that move in that annoys me, it's mostly the poor design decisions where the qualities of an area that existed before are disregarded to maximise profits. If the buildings were designed with more attention to detail and showed some respect for the local context then I'd be much more for it however it will never be like that.

Also the fact that a lot of these things are signed off behind closed doors and the locals of the area never hear about it or get much of a say in the matter until its being built.
>>
File: britain.jpg (109 KB, 851x630) Image search: [Google]
britain.jpg
109 KB, 851x630
Typically, the people who complain about gentrification are the same people who say its racist for wanting to keep Germany German, France French, Britain British, ect.
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.