[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a truly multicultural/multiethnic society
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: vukovar-croatia-1991.jpg (250 KB, 965x623) Image search: [Google]
vukovar-croatia-1991.jpg
250 KB, 965x623
Has there ever been a truly multicultural/multiethnic society in history that had equality between cultural groups, didn't have a powerful dictatorship, was politically stable, didn't have segregation and had long-term peace between groups? The closest I can think of is India, and they still have huge disparities between groups and are fairly segregated.

Is there a single example?
>>
>>80374822
Nope. Probably won't happen either
>>
>>80374822
No, because as soon as someone says something, you're going to add in arbitrary criteria that you didn't mention, or weren't specific about.
>>
For example, one of the most-cited barriers for African and post-colonial development more generally speaking is that the departing colonial powers left Africa with borders which paid no respect to the territories of cultural groups. This has led to instability as groups are divided or forced together unnaturally.

Doesn't this suggest that monocultural societies are more stable and successful? Doesn't the history of the rise of nation states and national self-determination support this?
>>
>>80375406
Why don't you hazard an example? Maybe you'll change my mind. Insulting me by suggesting i'm stubborn and unwilling to learn certainly isn't going to change my mind.
>>
>>80375556
New York City.
>>
>>80374822
Atlantis.

>>80375406

Also this.
>>
>>80374822
What you speak of is utopia.
>>
Switzerland, Singapore, Malaysia.

>inb4 Singapore is a dictatorship meme
Being tough on crime doesn't mean being undemocratic.
>>
>>80375586
I'd be interested to see you justify that one. There isn't equality, it has a high crime rate and there is even quite a bit of voluntary segregation.

I agree though that it could be a lot worse, and New York is very multicultural.

>>80375950
Switzerland is a good example. Swiss ethnic groups have more in common with one another than with their neighbours, though. There are also quite segregated.

I'm not going to claim Singapore is dictatorial but equal? There is huge ethnic disparity between Chinese, Indians, Whites and Malays.

Malaysia is similar, have you ever spoken to a Chinese Malaysian? You think there is no animosity there?
>>
File: AfricanColonialBorders.gif (23 KB, 578x301) Image search: [Google]
AfricanColonialBorders.gif
23 KB, 578x301
>>80375586
>>80375950
>>80375668
>>80375760
What do you guys think about the African post-colonial borders idea? >>80375427
>>
>>80376298
>There are also quite segregated.
No, they aren't. Segregation means being apart under law. Just because they live in different areas of the country doesn't make them segregated.

> There is huge ethnic disparity between Chinese, Indians, Whites and Malays.
Really? Point me out to a law in Singapore that segregates them or treats them differently.

> have you ever spoken to a Chinese Malaysian? You think there is no animosity there?
The country is not in any kind of ethnic war, and is one of the most prosperous in the region.

Like >>80375406 you won't accept any answer and will just keep moving the goalpost. Fuck you and your "prove me wrong"-style thread.
>>
>>80376665
I don't see why you have to be angry about it but fair enough.

Segregation does not mean being apart under law. Personally I think if people don't want to live next to one another then they aren't fully integrated. I'm not talking about apartheid.

Again with the legal definition. How would the law prove how people chose to interact with one another anyway? Chinese earn more than Indians, and Indians more than Malays. That's what I mean by inequality.

It's true that Malaysia is not in ethnic war. I'm not saying that multicultural societies will immediately collapse, or that they are always poor. I'm saying the dream of total integration is unrealistic. Maybe I should not have used that picture in the OP. This isn't meant to be a thread where I laugh in all your faces. I'm actually glad that people who don't agree with me are posting instead of a load of /pol/tards ranting about how much they hate multiculturals.

Maybe I should pose the question differently. What can we realistically hope for as a best case scenario in multicultural societies. To me, tolerance and the avoidance of wholesale ethnic war is a pretty low bar to set for ourselves. Is there a historical precedent for full integration? I'm talking about income equality, no voluntary segregation, disparity in crime rates or academic achievement. A situation where ethnic differences are as significant as differences in eye colour.
>>
>>80377710
So you ask us a question, and then change the definition of the terms when we try to answer it?
>>
Unironically Canada. One of the most multicultural countries and one of the most crime-free countries, and all of the ethnic groups are generally educated here and actually work. We don't have nogs who sit on their asses.

Multiculturalism is bad though and Multiculturalists need to die in a fire and have their children raped in front of them by a horde of mudslimes though.
>>
File: yL9BCN6.png (11 KB, 652x366) Image search: [Google]
yL9BCN6.png
11 KB, 652x366
>>80377710
>I'm talking about income equality, no voluntary segregation, disparity in crime rates or academic achievement.

You've made it impossible.

You can come up with pretty much any way of dividing people up and and find inequality, even if you ignore culture and race. People are inherently unequal, so there will never be a perfectly equal society unless it has a communist dictator that forces it.

For instance, here is a chart that shows income and height. Does that mean integration of people by height has been a failure? Should we split up tall and short people?
>>
>>80374822
Swiss have three cultures (French, German, Italian) and have made it work.
>>
Didn't old Genghis "Kill them all" Khan have a fairly stable empire for the time it existed?
>>
>>80378023
I thought that it was clear what equality meant, obviously you thought I meant legal equality and perhaps I should have been more specific. Segregation is the same. In England we often say a community like the Haredi are 'quite segregated', even though there is no legal segregation. I don't really think I have moved the goal-posts, but I do agree it's quite a lofty goal.
>>
>>80378400

Canada is like 85% white.
>>
>>80378400
Where are you from?

Not aware of all the Somalian ghettos in Ottawa?
>>
>>80378469
Let me put it this way. If you had a country where everyone was the same height, would it be good for societal cohesion to bring in a group of people who were the same in every other way, but 10% shorter? I'm not saying you can ever have total equality even in a mono-cultural society, but I do think multiculturalism offers a new barrier, possibly larger than any other.

>>80378552
Not being rude, but I think it's obvious why that's not a good example.

>>80378400
Canada is an excellent example, definitely the best so far and I did have it in mind when I made the thread. I understand that there is even relatively little income disparity there, especially for 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants. My main issue with that is 'long-term'. Racial tension seems to be growing in the west at the moment. Canada has done well though.
>>
>>80378803
Quebecois aren't white
>>
Cheers lads. Believe it or not I've actually learnt from this thread. Hopefully some of you payed attention to my point of view and understood that it wasn't really too extreme. There's no real need to be so oppositional though.
>>
>>80378510
Did you not get the memo, whites have no culture.
>>
>>80374822
Have you heard about metropolies?
Those were ancient cities where people of different tribes and ethnics lived together.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.