[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should the minimum wage be raised? Is 15/hour even enough?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: Screenshot_20160709-012512.jpg (659 KB, 1300x1768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160709-012512.jpg
659 KB, 1300x1768
I've been reading some good arguments on Reddit as to why the minimum wage should be increased. Did you know if minimum wage kept up with increased productivity over the years it'd be over $20/hour. Really makes you think.
>>
>>80342279
>wanting minimum wage if there's globalism
Have fun having your job outsourced you faggots
>>
why not just make the minimum wage $100.000?
that way everybody gets to be a millionaire and poverty is over!
>>
>arguments on Reddit
you should leave them there
>>
>>80342477
it's funny that the people who want it are the same ones who want the market flooded with third world labor
>>
>>80342279

The wage needs to be raised but slowly and over time. Obama's plan to raise it to $10 over the course of 3-4 years wasn't that bad.

It should have been raised over time to begin with as inflation occurred, now it's fucked. Too much or too quickly will destroy the job market and ruin the economy in the process.
>>
>>80342279
Yes they should be raised since it would mean more jobs for us
>>
>>80342279
>My bachelor's degree for a job requiring national medical licensure will soon be worth the same as flipping burgers
>>
Currently working a job at minimum wage, and it has made me realize how fucking stupid the $15 argument is. I am one of the few workers who does anything, people have no incentive to work hard on minimum wage. ABOLISH IT SENPAI
>>
>>80342279
The living wage in most parts of the country is around $12/hour. $15 is excessive.
>>
that's not how minimum wage works. It's supposed to be for people in dead end burger flipping jobs who don't have the smarts or degrees to do anything else. minimal pay for minimal work. If they want more money, they should use any of the hundreds of resources on the internet to learn an actual applicable skill, not whine on reddit.
>>
>>80342477
>>80342716

This. You can not have wages increasing with cost of living while also driving wages down with outsourcing and importation of third world slave labor.

I know, you actually can, the idea is the cheaper wages also result in a cheaper product. This obviously isn't working out in real life though. Who wants to tell me why? Is it because large swathes of the actual products we buy are hugely over valued to pump massive amounts of wealth upwards?
>>
File: 1466984285176.jpg (14 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1466984285176.jpg
14 KB, 240x251
> Is 15/hour even enough?
15/hour is enough is live excessively in my state, totally alone.
I support minimum wage increase but 15/hr is fucking retarded.
>>
>>80343153
Do you seriously believe anyone is going to give a random smuck, with a degree from some shitty no-name university and selfstudy, a real job ? Without any experience and or recommendation ?
>>
>>80343153
Flipping burgers doesn't seem so bad, I though minimum wage was for like bagging groceries or something. How could American society sustain itself without burgers?
>>
>>80342279
You should be paid what you're worth to the company.
Want to make more money? Then increase your worth.
>>
>>80342279
20/hr! I work hard.
>>
>>80342279
yes, cant wait for 2/3rd of fast food workers to lose their job and efficiency to increase.
>>
R E M I N D E R
if you are still worried about minimum wage because you're still on it, you should kill yourself
R E M I N D E R
>>
>>80342279
>$15 an hour minimum wage
>all corporate stores switch to self checkout overseen by 1 or 2 store managers
>the last few manufacturers flee to china
>any non-mega corporate buisinesses close
>overnight comodity prices triple, so even the few left who still kept thier minimum wage jobs are making the exact same income comparativley

But thats assuming a free market is still allowed to exist
>all of these things start happening
>govt flips shit, begins pumping massive subsidies into buisinesses
>restrictions on automated customer service, mandatory hiring quotas
>subsidies only go to big corporations though, so ma and pa buisinesses still close allowing corporate takeover anyways
>buisiness is entireley dependant on subsidies to keep employees hired, essentially turning all service industry workers into wards of the government.

Hah! Now you HAVE to do what we say and cant rebel because you are ALL reliant on federal handouts!
>>
File: 1410911800183.gif (2 MB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
1410911800183.gif
2 MB, 256x197
>>80342279
>Did you know if minimum wage kept up with increased productivity over the years it'd be over $20/hou
I hate reading this every time this conversation starts.
Productivity increased because machines replaced more and more humans. Human value went DOWN as productivity went UP.
>>
>>80343342
who said you can't get a recommendation?>>80343381
if you killed every fast food worker in america, trump would win the election and in three days burger flipping robots would be everywhere. burgers are eternal.
>>
>>80343187
>Who wants to tell me why?
I guess because it's a huge investment to build, let's say smartphones or OS.
Nobody wants to take that risk.
Those pseudo monopolies kill the free market.
>>
>>80343562
>buisiness is entireley dependant

you can do better than this
>>
>>80344007
Im really drunk and over simplifying, but point is, I cannot see a free market economy able to exist under a system where the government suddenly declares barristas and frycooks are worth as much per hour as starting wages for police and firefighters.

The only outcome is that it kills the last non-corporate buisinesses and inflation increases, removing any benifit of a wage increase anyways. Obviously very large groups of unemployed people is a precursor to unrest, so the government would crank out subsidies and welfare programs.

Essentially handing cash to people so they can hand it to the corporations, and oh boy you better not be too uppity, cuz big brother is always watching and he can turn off your welfare at any time if you dont toe the proscribed party line.
>>
>>80343342
that's how it used to be
but back then we had less Pacos taking our jobs and less women working
>>
>>80344553
I was hating on your spelling but your point is still good. Although the argument that "if minimum wage doubles then every remotely skilled person already making $15/hour is going to quit their job and work for McDonalds" is kind of unrealistic. If minimum wage basically doubles, then there are going to be roughly half as many minimum wage jobs out there as businesses try to cut overheads. It would seem like all the policemen and firefighter would quit their jobs and work as grocery baggers if minimum wage became $15/hr, but there would be very few grocery bagger jobs left by then. The seasoned cop would probably get those jobs over inexperienced 16 y/olds, though.

Doubling the minimum wage in general sounds disastrous as fuck to most people
>>
>>80342279
>good arguments on economics on reddit
unless it's personalfinance those people don't have a clue about anything to do with the economy.

>let's inflate the minimum wage so we can afford to live!
>magical money paid by our magical employers who magically don't have to increase the cost of their products in order to be able to pay their emplyee's wages

go back to school.
>>
>>80342885
parasite
>>
>>80342477
countries like China are now aiming for higher median wages too though
>>
I make 13 an hour and it's barely enough to make ends meet. 15 would only be 80 more a week
>>
File: 700-1.png (50 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
700-1.png
50 KB, 400x263
>>80342279

15$ minimum wage increase is good. McDonalds and other low-wage companies will automate all their work and invest in robots. Then we don't have to deal with shit employees anymore.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (11 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
11 KB, 266x190
>>80342279
>I've been reading some good arguments on reddit
>>
>>80345302
You may notice I never said the people already making $15 an hour would quit.

I neglected to say that for very much the same reasons you stated.

It isnt that they would quit to be minimum wage workers, its that they would suddenly find themselves minimum wage workers.

After inflation adjusted for the increase you would find that people like cops, fire fighter, IT consultants and such would suddenly be forced to live under minimum wage conditions despite performing skilled or vital positions that they had to recieve education and lots of expierience to attain.

In short, doubling the minimum wage wouldnt result in an increase in minimum wage earners standard of living, it would just drag everyone down to the same exact standards minimum wage earners are under now.

Its not helping the lower class earner, its an assault on the middle class earner.
>>
File: 1465425495142.jpg (330 KB, 1280x1463) Image search: [Google]
1465425495142.jpg
330 KB, 1280x1463
11 an hour is a good min wage

anything above that is just going to devalue the dollar
>>
>>80342879

having wages forcibly hiked outside of market forces when you have trade pacts with non-representative governments that manipulate the value of their currency in ways that you can't compete with is idiotic.
>>
>>80342279
Why not simply give people the ability to print their own money? Everyone can print just as much as they need, economy cracked up, no more poverty.
>>
>>80345516
China is a totalitarian country where people dont have a say.

They do what they are told and if they dont like it they go to prison. China has solved the issue of possible dissidence to government decree the same way any other communist nation has, by imprisoning or killing anyone who doesnt agree.

If america were to take such a commanding approach to things it would either need to be backed by force, or result in mass unrest.

Guess which one the government is most likley to go for?
>>
Tack it to inflation / cost of living based on the region.

OR

Regulate the rent / housing industry so they can't just keep pumping prices up. Rent is probably the biggest factor for cost of living in America (atleast in 2007 when i lived there, can't imagine it's gotten better).
>>
Who could honesly afford the minimum $15 besides massive companies?
>>
>>80342279

On an economy wide scale, raising the minimum wage does nothing to grow 'the market'.

It is literally like taking food from one shelf of the fridge and putting on a different shelf and saying that you're providing for your family because you have a plentiful supply of food and the fridge is always full.

Eventually, your kids are gonna starve.
>>
>>80345801
>its that they would suddenly find themselves minimum wage workers.

in the mind of the leftist, though, this would mean they have twice as much spending money as the costs of everything else remain the same. We know though that obviously inflation would rise to equal the new spending power of the lowest working class, defeating the purpose of an increased minimum wage. Walmart isn't going to charge $3 for a shirt when every retard can afford $30 shirts.

>You may notice I never said the people already making $15 an hour would quit.

my argument was one I heard from a friend. He said he would drop his job as an LPN making ~$18/hr quick as fuck if he could get a much easier job flipping burgers making $15/hr. My argument was there would be very few burger flipping jobs left because McDonalds would get some fucking robots or a couple ""good, veteran"" employees to do the job, since they can't afford many burger flippers at $15/hr.

>Its not helping the lower class earner, its an assault on the middle class earner.

That's the point, it would merge the wages of the lower class with the middle class. The entire middle class would be pissed as fuck if the (roughly halved amount of) minimum wage workers were making as much as the semi-skilled middle class workers were for doing actually demanding labor.

If the skilled workers' wages rose proportionally to the minimum wage workers' wages then this might not be such an issue, but it is
>>
>>80346841
Too drunk to really find a big arguing point, but as you pointed out, minimum wage jobs would become automated or skeleton crewed.

So whats happening to all those folks that got replaced by robots?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.