[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was pre-college education a mistake? Seems it's all dumbed-down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 20160708_225455.jpg (748 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160708_225455.jpg
748 KB, 2048x1152
Was pre-college education a mistake?

Seems it's all dumbed-down af

>pic semi-related as abstract and linear algebra really should come before college
>>
File: book.jpg (225 KB, 736x1178) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
225 KB, 736x1178
>>
>>80267416
jesus fucking christ not more math i thought i ended this in high school
>>
>>80268591
people like this are exactly why education will continue to get dumbed down
>>
It's way too long and tedious, school days were long enough that literally every student gets bored of just sitting there, even the ones that have intellectual curiosity. Beginning your life by being bored about learning is detrimental to your future.

The ratios between completely useless trivial crap like plant species memorization, slightly useful crap like grammar rules, and important content like empirical sciences and math (which itself should be more about the reasoning and less about the memorization) are way off too. 20000 hours of compulsory schooling should have a near-100% success rate at breeding non-dumbasses.
>>
>>80267416
This is a joke, right?

Is this math for retards?
>>
>>80269878
Looks like an introduction to fields, typically done in the second semester of an abstract algebra course.

it looks trivial because it is. field axioms aren't interesting, field theory is.
>>
>>80270096
I got a similar book, but it's a bit more complicated than this.
I mean the stuff in OPs pic is common sense, nothing that needs to be written in a book.
>>
>>80269878
You're obviously a retard who has never opened a real math book in your whole life. Like most scum in /pol/ anyways.
>>
>>80270316
>I mean the stuff in OPs pic is common sense, nothing that needs to be written in a book.
so you don't actually know what you're talking about, alright.
>>
>>80267416
Ok now for real OP. Are you being serious? Or is it bait?
>>
>>80268591
>portugal intellectual
>>
>>80270467
By writing it in the book, you're making it common knowledge. Now everyone knows that everyone else also knows it, which is convenient even if everyone already knew it.
>>
>>80271102
What? It has nothing to do with outreach of math

Jesus Christ guys, if you've never studied math since High School it's ok, but please just don't pull shit out of your fucking ass. We do that when it comes to politics because literally you can keep pulling shit out of your ass forever, but not in math.

It's not "making thing common knowledge". It's defining what a Field is, defining the mathematical properties of such a field. The fact that this corresponds with the properties of sum is absolutely irrelevant, nobody gives a shit if it's "easy" or "hard", it's the very beginning of any Linear Algebra book after defining what a group is.

Math is not based on "the common sense". It's not based on whatever you know from before or not. You start with some axioms and the build with definitions and theorems from there.

Jesus fuck /pol/.
>>
>>80271829
*mathematical properties of such an object*, sorry.
>>
>abstract and linear algebra
Looks like set babble to define addition and subtraction proporties to me
>>
>>80267416
It just seems like a lot of abstraction, I learned these properties in the first grade but this format is probably the basis for something more complex thus it is taught in the course right before the complex stuff.
>>
>>80273957
To be honest, it reminds me of a normal Harvard introductory Maths course book.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.