[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about Lupe Fiasco?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: lupe-fiasco-animal-pharm.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lupe-fiasco-animal-pharm.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
He's clearly the most level headed person in the entertainment industry. The man lives on both sides of world between the police and thugs. Is he the best bet for bringing the country together?
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 109x125
>nigger music
>>
>can't dupe the lupe
>>
>>80233317
I am talking about his strong opinions that differ from your average rapper or black person.

>Called Obama and Bush terrorists.
>Speaks about obvious issues like failed foreign intervention, police state, problems affecting the inner-cities.
>Doesn't vilify police as a whole.
>Seems to support the 2nd amendment.
>Calls out blacks for killing other blacks.
>>
>>80233317
>Incredibly layered triple entendres and extended analogies that actually add context to the point he's driving at instead of just being a simple comparison....

It's smart music, no matter how you try to flip it
>>
>>80233799
Absolutely. He manages to absolutely blow me away anytime he opens his mouth. Man is a lyrical genius.
>>
I think his music is cringe worthy, whiney, and liberal as shit.
I think anyone that listens to him is a punk bitch.
>>
>>80233177
WTF, what a joke. You are a joke, OP.
>>
>>80234171
Do you have any factual reason to think it's liberal as shit?
>>
>>80234461
Try me. What's a joke about this?
>>
>>80233970
"You see what I'm saying
And I push ki's wonderfully"

quite possibly the most dense lyric in his catalogue.

Meaning 1: Drug Dealing
Meaning 2: Allusion to dragonball's Saiyans and Ki
Meaning 3: When you push keys on a keyboard, you "see what I'm saying" as the words appear on your computer screen
Meaning 4: Stevie Wonder(fully) pushes keys when playing the piano

Lupe can be real cringey sometimes, but the man's wit with lyrics is second to none.
>>
>>80233177
He can't even ollie
>>
>>80233177
isn't he muslim?
>>
>>80233177
he got BODIED by a twitter nigga
>>
>>80234638
The way he's grown over the years has astounded me. Pol is refusing to look at his views objectively.

>>80234982 Yea, but I don't see anything that makes me think he some crazy Muslim.
>>
>>80233177
>muslim nigger
DROPPED
>>
>>80233177
Literally who
>>
File: lupewhiteisright.jpg (27 KB, 584x218) Image search: [Google]
lupewhiteisright.jpg
27 KB, 584x218
>>80233177
I'm a fan
>>
>>80235280
Who holds views that differ from nearly anyone like him or that's ever had a similar upbringing. The man has something to offer to the discourse.
>>
>>80235379
Can you imagine anyone else being honest like that?
>>
I still couldn't believe it when he beat Diago. I know it's an exhibition so Diago wasn't taking it all that seriously, and Lupe had the benifit of watching many diago battles to study his style, but still, beating the top-ranked SF player is not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VHLq5NoE_0
>>
>>80235608
I didn't even know he was that good at those games. Learned something new about him.
>>
>>80235379
I think he'd be pretty great to discuss shit with, being able to disagree without becoming belligerent is rare these days.

That being said, holy fuck twitter has way too many retards running around "white mans interpretation of the human mind"
>>
>>80235173
I think all muslims are crazy to an extent

Lupe is fucking talented though. Although can be a bit too preachy.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lupe+fiasco+failure
>>
>>80235993
fucked the link up my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyLLmByA6Y0
>>
Album recommendation?

I already have his debut album from years ago.
>>
>>80233387
lol
>>
>>80236220
I know it's the pretentious answer but his mixtapes are a lot better.

Check out Farenheit 1/15
>>
i like his older albums but hes a bit too preachy for my tastes.
>>
>>80235993
You can't go wrong with any of them if you have an open mind. Tetsuo and Youth was his latest and really goes after problems of the inner-city. The Cool is probably my favorite. He has so many great singles and random drops that aren't on albums that it's hard to say.
>>
>>80233799
He's smarter than most rap writersn but let's not give him too much credit here
>>
>>80233177
He plays street fighter 5 competitively and seems like an alright guy.
>>
>>80233177
He ripped off modest mouse music so the talentless nig can get eaten by a Savannah lion for all I care.
>>
>>80236708
I hear you, but I feel that's where he's most effective. He's a lone voice in a sea of morons, race-baiters and thugs, and gives a worthy lesson to inner city youth.
>>
>>80233177

NO bitch.

first off black panther sucks dick. wolverine is the better super here. guess what. theyre in the same universe as well.

second off. this nigger hasn't even an oscar.

short answer. NO, BITCH
>>
>>80233666
For every Lupe Fiasco there are two Immortal Techniques who blame Whitey for everything and say Communism is the answer.
>>
>>80234638
See that's the thing, and I assume most of his supporters are of similar mentality, but, on the one hand, you can't assume that he meant so many things at once and that he's "oh just such a genius" for doing so, because on the other even if it is intentional there is nothing about the use of (if there's a literary term for this tell me) words that could means 2 or more things that make the statement any more intelligent than one with 1 or 2 meanings. You're looking at quantity over quality and essentially saying "wow this guy has it all thought out!"
>>
>>80236858
HA please.

>>80236762 I challenge you to listen to a song and fully comprehend it. I'm not giving him any more praise than is due. He is a challenge to the system and your everyday rappers.
>>
>>80237006 It does when you can say one sentence, that has 3 different meanings, but all tie into your overall theme. It's a work of art, and modern poetry.
>>
>>80237030
See >>80237006

Actually I have heard like two or three of his songs, albeit a while ago. See I rap myself, not as a main goal but just something that I put on my YouTube every once in a while so I keep up with it. The most noteworthy one I've heard I remember is the one that got some attention a year or two ago "Bitch Bad woman good" or whatever, and sure you could argue the song describes the patterns of a young person born into and growing up with ghetto culture depicting roles for them, and how it impacts them, but I would counter argue that largely, the messages you'd be praising for being deep and intelligent amount basically to common sense
>>
>>80234571
Yes let me get my lupe fiasco fact book for some hard evidence.

He's whiney as fuck and always crying about police and oppression.

I know he never claims one political party and calls out politicians on both sides this nigger is not red pilled that's for sure.
>>
>>80237399
Great example. Common sense to someone raised in a proper family. Not proper sense to the kid in the song, raised by a single mother in the hood, or the millions of black kids in the inner-cities who do not get raised that way.

Pol wants to complain about black people, Lupe is actually trying to implement positive change in these communities.
>>
>>80237368
I stand by my post, sure for poetry it's a good technique, but how does it add real substance to any kind of political or philosophical argument? The only means by which it would enhance the meaning would be a duality, and I'm sure it's there sometimes, but you're essentially being tricked by fanciful wordplay. I'm sure the guy has some good stuff, I'll have to give an album a listen later because frankly I forgot about this guy, but all I'm saying is if you want something intelligent, just read a book.

I repeat what I said, alluding to multiple things does not a proper message of substance make
>>
File: 1458862960841.png (241 KB, 377x424) Image search: [Google]
1458862960841.png
241 KB, 377x424
>>80234638
sounds like you're reading too much then there is. forcing your own interpretations with lyrics as vague as those were
>>
based guy, I follow him on twitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR84Yo41DxI&list=FLn7tqWOirUJm9c8vWqO30Cw&index=7
>>
File: lupe7816.png (85 KB, 580x781) Image search: [Google]
lupe7816.png
85 KB, 580x781
>>80237630
I never said he's red-pilled, but that doesn't mean he's not an ally against the same enemies.
>>
>>80234638
>but the man's wit with lyrics is second to none

What is MF Doom
>>
>>80237651
You don't listen to music for the same type of enl;ightenment as a novel. However, if you've read Orwell's Animal Farm, listen to Lupe Fiasco's Animal Pharm and google the lyrics. Tell me he doesn't present a unique take on something most inner-city kids might never read.
>>
>>80235608

lupe is incredible, his first two albums are 10/10, but this post gave me stage 1 cancer.

of COURSE daigo let him win. lupe is average at best
>>
>>80237637
Proper family or not, whether it is observed or not, you can't argue that even in tumultuous times like today's, that there isn't an intended moral complex MEANT to be instilled in children across the board.

I can appreciate what you mean when you say that, because surely there are entire neighborhoods and ghettos where the kids don't have a means to instill morality in them in the crucial youth development period, the TV is playing Maury or something, the dad is ashing his cigarettes two feet away from where baby sits on the floor, I get it, but, on a more real level here, be honest, do you think that same kid is seeking music that would challenge him? Even if he happened to hear the song, do you think he would understand it? And even if he grew up in such a way as the song describes, do you really think that somewhere in his head, even in a more basic way, he doesn't acknowledge the truths of the song even without interpreting the lyrics? After all, it's "common" sense for a reason
>>
>random black guy whose claim to fame is that jews tried to market his hippity hop bullshit

literally who gives a fuck
>>
>>80237676
this, he sounds like a high school english teacher
>>
>>80238004
I'll do that later, screen capping your reply

>>80237806
Even if his music tries to be something more, Twitter is a more short form and therefore more direct window into the soul and views of an artist if they use it - and to be honest without being as rude as what I'm gong to say is, the dude sounds like a pretentious poetry slammer trying to bring emphasis to words at key points in his sentences to distract from the fact that at least in the tweets you showed, he's saying nothing different from other libs who care too much about race one way or the other

>>80237821
Also Kabuto
>>
>>80233177
I think

#racewar
>>
>>80238091
I see these types in his twitter. When a guy from your block makes it big, yea it matters, and they watch and listen and emulate. And the internet allows them to go and understand if they can't figure it out. It does matter.

>>80238175
>>80237676
Both incorrect. There is no forcing it. He means every bit of it. This isn't interpreting a tool album. He very much layers his lyrics in this fashion. Is it always as complicated as people make it out to be? No, but most of the time it is. It makes people use their fucking brains, which is mostly unheard of in hip-hop.
>>
>>80238041
why would diago let him win?
>>
>>80238505
>is it always as complicated as people make it out to be? no
haha dropped
you're reaching
>>
>>80238392
I'm not saying I agree with everything he says. However, as far as people in the music industry and have a vastly different upbringing than my own, he has managed to get me to look critically at many things.
>>
>>80237676
Lupe has confirmed on numerous occasions that his lyrics are often layered with meaning, breaking down some of his more complex lines into sections that show they have 3+ meanings. It might seem like a stretch but songs like "dumb it down" and "form follows function" prove otherwise.
>>
When I indulge in nigger music I tend to go as nigger as possible so I listen to Gucci Mane and Chief Keef and such.
>>
>>80238505
But even by that logic they're just parroting something they don't necessarily understand. Flatbush Zombies are big too, and they come from a culture that's basically poisonous to black representation - yet kids mimic them I'm sure and white girls twerk at their concerts with no regard for the lyrics essentially condoning whites for existing

But my inner /pol/ is showing - the point is that the man is not dumb, undoubtedly, but he's no smarter a rapper than someone like JJ Abrams is a writer. Sure they'll pull off some impressive stuff, but unless you interpret it in a specific way (ala LOST), the message becomes a chaotic mess
>>
>>80238690
Fair enough, whatever works for you

>>80238505
https://youtu.be/dEmdSzsSz-I
>>
>>80238801
That's easy to say after the fact, I mean it's not impossible that there are layers to his lyrics but you also don't think that he was essentially handed the ability to go on the Internet and read people's praise/interpretation and run with their assessments?

I'm sure the guy is very smart, but the credit being given here is just too much, I'm practically sure of it, especially after reading some of his Twitter caps
>>
>>80239362
I don't expect the pol crowd to agree with much of anything he says. My point is that there are people out there, in positions that typically perpetuate the shit pol hates, that are challenging this shit everyday.

His music is leaps and bounds above almost any other when it comes to portraying a larger message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxIGmpZd0uI
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.