[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Lay Practitioner Anything About Zen Buddhism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: enso.gif (23 KB, 442x440) Image search: [Google]
enso.gif
23 KB, 442x440
I've been practicing for a year and a half and would gladly answer your questions.
>>
>>79964617

Why do you think anyone cares?
>>
what is the sound of one american clapping
>>
>>79964617
What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
>>
>>79964617
Go away! Everyone's cup is already full here.
>>
>>79964617
I met a Bulgarian woman a couple years ago and she was one of the sweetest and smartest women I've ever met. Would love to visit your country one day!
>>
>>79964681
I was thinking that more and more people on /pol/ around my age are looking for a religion or a way to spirituality. For some going to church and praying simply doesn't do the job.
>>79964816
I don't know. But I'd imagine it's the sound of a greasy flap.
>>79964900
Chocolate and vanilla but I like them all.
>>79965078
Come any time, man. Sofia's a nice place and we have an extremely varied landscape for a country the size of Tennessee.
>>
>>79964617
What's your opinion of Taoism?
>>
>>79966262
I haven't looked into it, but I appreciate the immense influence it has had in shaping Chinese Buddhism. For example, the concept of freeing yourself from attachments is, needless to say, integral to both Zen and Taoism.
>>
>>79964617
I'm currently getting into meditation and am generally looking for ways to calm myself and improve my focus and emotional balance. I'm not religious, but it seems to me that the concept of "spiritualism" isn't necessarily about believing in anything, as much as it provides tools and collected wisdom for managing ones emotions and navigating through human problems people have always struggled with. What's your opinion on that?

Do you think Buddhism can (or shouldn't) be "used" for pragmatic purposes, without becoming religious like e.g. a Christian?
>>
>>79968129
Buddhist meditation practice certainly can be used for pragmatic purposes without getting caught up religious cosmology. You might enjoy reading "Confession of a Buddhist Atheist" by Stephen Batchelor.
>>
>>79964617
How does the abolition of the self solve anything aside from a false problem which you yourself create?

Buddhism is a key true religion.
Only Jesus Christ is sufficient to slake man's spiritual wanting.

t. A man who spent 11 years in the Tibetan Mountains

Your delusional, go find some real Buddhists. You can find a bunch of them at a Catholic mass.
>they know what's true
>>
>>79968368
Thanks! Just ordered the book.
>>
>>79968129

I would argue that Buddhism was founded on the idea that spirituality should be practical and not dogmatic. But, like all religions people turn it into an instruction manual and miss the point entirely.

Zen is probably the most clinical modern sect of Buddhism, but still has very doctrinal and dogmatic denominations. Many people focus on studying theology from the writings of the old masters or making a huge flamboyant fetish out of practicing zazen. At the end, you get out of it what you put in. Meditation is good for the body and mind under almost any context - so its best to dive in and see for yourself.
>>
What are your thoughts of entheogens, psychoactives, hallucinogens, and narcotics in general and the practices that surround them, if you do any?
>>
>>79966975
Taoist here (but philosophical only, I find the mystical stuff annoying). It's not that we lose attachment, its that we have all that we already want and need.

There is a painting that sums up the three cardinal religions. Buddha, Confucius and Lao Tzu are eating from a vinegar pot. Buddha has a bitter expression, for Buddhists see life as bitter and full of smoke and lies. Confucius has a sour expression and is trying to strain the vinegar, for life for them is sour and coarse and requires refining to enjoy. Lao Tzu is chugging the vinegar because vinegar is delicious and you are the only one telling yourself you need something else with it to enjoy.

I was Rinzai Zen, and my family is broken up between Jodo Shinshu and Shinto Buddhism. But I found life to be alot happier after I read Dao Di Jing and converted to Lao Tzu and Chaung Tzu's beliefs.
>>
>>79964617
What do you think of Alan Watts?
>>
>>79968129
It is no surprise that you discovered meditation seeking gains. That's how everyone discovers it after all.

I suggest we approach this situation from a different perspective. By stilling the mind and being present you do not think about gaining nor do you think about what you're going to do/ you did, thus freeing yourself from delusion. Even while you mediate you are yourself no less enlightened than the Buddha.
Maybe it sounds odd, but you begin to feel a 'connection' with the environment at one point.

In the context of what I said, meditation, itself, is religion when done with no expectations. Sure, you feel serene after a sitting but sometimes you have a stiff back, too.
The power of this practice lays in exhausting yourself and committing to it fully, even it is for 10 mins a day.
It's not about ethics and good/bad. (Something that one'd associate with being a devout Christian.)
How do you even want a connection with God (the most perfect thing by default) when you're judging from the distorted perspective of your existence. That's why Buddhism can't be bothered to talk about ethics. True faith has nothing to do with what you think of niggers and chinks, slags and cucks, as it is beyond words.
>>
>>79969290
I was raised Methodist and I can tell you I have reached all three of those "ideals" at my own pace and at different times. I am pretty sure they are all different parts of the emotional cycle. I am by definition of Nirvana, in Nirvana yet I am a young adult. I have no ego. I am eternal at peace with everything (besides my reality).
So, with that being said, why do you follow religion?
Religion isn't real. Spirituality is real, but we are the God. Reality is a construct that exists. That's the other half of the God. The God is everything that isn't you, because you are the God.
It will paradoxical like this forever, hitting all aspects, because that is Nirvana. It makes no sense, because the sense is not logical.
>>
>>79968616
It does not solve a single thing, I agree on that. Many people think there's something to be gained. In reality, meditation can be painful and is utterly boring. There's nothing to be gained or learned (from a logical point of view).
It just so happened that this approach worked for me. I do not reckon it's any different from being a true Christian. But it is definitely a huge turn-off when people apply dogmas and reify God as a person.
Christianity, for the atheistic Europeans, has become a mere institution.
>>
Best way to learn the basics? Should I go to a local centre and ask questions, or should I just wiki it?
>>
>>79969921
Well it makes my family happy to see their ancestors venerated and their happiness makes my life easier and simplicity and happiness brings me closer to realignment with the stream of Tao. So like most rational people, I am religious until it interferes with the pursuit of reducing the two (Ying and Yang) to the one. And then I'm not.
>>
>>79969290
That's odd. From what you just told me, Lao Tzu seems like a pretty Zen guy.
How come you didn't find that same mentality in Rinzai? Or maybe it's the 'theory' that bothers you so much?
>>
>>79969905
>>79969921
>>79970629
While you guys solve these important philosophical issues, I'll be sitting over here in the corner quietly cultivating awareness.
>>
>>79964617
Day
>>
>>79970963
Oh, then my apologies. I just get tired of seeing fresh, thinking people stuck in a logic loop of religion and God (usually because of their parents), but have a great reason actually. Carry
>>
>>79969613
A cool guy from what I've seen. Gotta thank him for introducing the 'Eastern ideas' to the West.
>>
>>79970963
Lmao. It's 'yin' you pea brain
>>
>white people practicing Buddhism

Witchcraft tier
>>
>>79971041
Hey man, that's the everyday job.
>>
>>79964617
How would you respond to the notion that a religion is just a successful cult?
>>
>>79964617
How long have you been practicing getting laid? (I'm sure the 'practice' will end one day just keep at it slugger)

Also, this board is for politics not middle school hipster fashion accessory bullshit rebelliousness, so why don't you fuck off back to reddiy
>>
>>79970740
Going to a local centre is probably the best idea but if you can't be bothered initially you could just read a few pages a day from 'Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind' by Shinryu Suzuki and also sit (do seated meditation) for a couple of minutes a day.
>>
What is meditation not?
>>
>>79971397
It's true if we're talking about religion as an institution. In that sense, it is a very successful cult.
>>
>>79970978
Opposite ideas. Zen attempts to simplify and reduce attachments, for life is suffering and less attachment to life is less suffering. I prefer not to reduce attachment. The mindfulness I once got from work I now also get from living.
>>
>>79972101
>In that sense, it is a very successful cult.
Indeed. How would you regard people who buy into the general belief structure of said very successful cults then?
>>
>>79964617
Zen Buddhism.

What are the most famous texts of zen buddhism ?

If a westerner want to practice zen buddhism, how does he do it ?
>>
>>79972576
Maybe you're rationalising a bit too much.
Zen Buddhism teaches you that suffering is inevitable (even in zazen) but it is in the great commitment and awareness that you take refuge in. Enlightenment is essentially irrelevant to the gist of the teaching.
>>79972617
It sucks for them cause they have to latch on to the dogmatism, instead of seeing for themselves through experience.
>>
>>79964617
Please advise me on meditating.
>>
>>79973492
>It sucks for them cause they have to latch on to the dogmatism, instead of seeing for themselves through experience.
I don't think you quite caught my drift kek.
>>
>>79972837
Here's a good reading list: http://antaiji.org/en/muho/books/
I'd suggest reading 'Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind' by Shinryu Suzuki or 'An Introduction to Zen Buddhism' by D. T. Suzuki (if you're looking for a more philosophical understanding).
However, I doubt that most of the stuff would make sense if you haven't done zazen (seated meditation).
That's why you should definitely first start meditating regularly. It's the only essential thing, so to say. There are tons of tutorials online.
>>
If one hand is clapping, what is the other hand doing?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
>>
>>79973661
Just watch a zazen tutorial, komşu. Most importantly, do it regularly even when you don't feel like it.
>>
>>79974071
Ty
>>
>>79964617
Do you lay with both sexes and animals or just women?
>>
>>79974736
You're welcome, François.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.