[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.strawpoll.me/10667698 So /pol/, what's ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: ADHD.jpg (56 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
ADHD.jpg
56 KB, 640x400
http://www.strawpoll.me/10667698

So /pol/, what's everybody's opinions on kids with ADHD and ADD?Why the overdiagnosis of this shit? Are parents too lazy to properly deal with hyper kids? Or are they talked into drugging their kids by kike shrinks?

What do you think the long-term societal effects of putting children on speed are?
>>
File: Dr Leon Eisenberg.jpg (38 KB, 557x480) Image search: [Google]
Dr Leon Eisenberg.jpg
38 KB, 557x480
>>79780288
>>
>>79780288
There is a massive effort by drug cartels/companies to push pills at an early age. They are well aware the earlier a child is hooked on prescription drugs, the more likely they are to continue using prescription drugs into adulthood.

So now, any kid acting silly or unfocused like a kid is now given drugs.
>>
>>79780288
ADHD was invented to give shitty teachers a reason to drug active male students.
>>
>>79780288

>Are parents too lazy to properly deal with hyper kids? Or are they talked into drugging their kids by kike shrinks?

Neither. The rise of this shit directly correlates to the rise of people raising their kids under the belief that everyone is special. We have an entire generation (now beginning a 2nd one at that) that believes that it is impossible for their little wonderful child to just be a dumbass, and so any failure at anything must be fixed in any way possible, which in Western society these days pretty much means medication.

Do shrinks and big pharma benefit hugely from this? Absolutely. But I do not think they caused it, so much as take advantage of it.
>>
>>79780288
>kids have short attention spans and high energy
>this is somehow a red flag and means they have a disease
>>
>>79780657
Drug 'em.
>>
>>79780619

So it's parents wanting their kids to do well in school? At primary-school age?
>>
>>79780288

/pol/ isn't going to like to hear it, but ADD/ADHD overdiagnosis is definitely a symptom of conservative attitudes as well. (Or maybe we can brush it off on cuckservatives, alt-right people seem to be a bit more open-minded about this sort of thing.)

The fact is, human children were NEVER intended to "learn" by sitting still for eight fucking hours a day. And as usual, American politics completely misses the point on both sides. Liberals diagnose ADHD and put their kids on pills, conservatives just say "OH KIDS THESE DAYS LACK DISCIPLINE RAR RAR LOOH HOW TOUGH AND DISCIPLINED I WAS BACK IN MY DAY WHERE A FACTORY JOB COULD PROVIDE FOR A FAMILY"

I know there's a lot of resistance to Common core (and there should be) but I think what gets lost in the conversation is the fact that the system we have NOW isn't good. In fact, it's pretty fucking shit. If the goal was to educate children, in fact, we've NEVER had a very good system. ADHD and ADD is just our society trying to cram kids (especially young boys) into an "education" system that has always been poorly designed and barely related at all to how humans actually learn.
>>
>>79780288
Several guys at my secondary school about 8 years ago claimed ADHD and got all kinds of special treatment and lighter punishments for being disruptive shitbags when in reality they were almost certainly just little shits.

One of my best friends was never diagnosed because his mum didn't want to drug him up and he got badly punished for messing around all the time, when he legitimately could not sit still and quiet for an hour. The guy was absolutely crazy about football, he lived and breathed football. But he would get jerky and anxious just watching 45 minutes and have to kick a ball around the garden during half time.
That's why I think ADHD is real but probably quite rare and almost exclusively used as an excuse by bad parents and loser kids who will never succeed in life and need something to blame, when in reality they are just little shits.
>>
>>79780288
>Are parents too lazy to properly deal with hyper kids
Yes. Parents and schools.
>>
>>79780868

No, its parents in denial that their children aren't perfect. ADHD is a real, medical condition, which involves measurable brain chemistry disorder. Only about 1% of kids who are diagnosed with it actually have this however, since what is actually happening is the child is not achieving straight A's and so, an insanely coddling parent takes them to a pediatrician that on the spot diagnoses it and puts them on the perscriptions.

Basically, little Timmy isn't running straight A's and champion of three different sports teams by the age of 9, therefor something MUST be wrong with him, and it must be fixed. Its the same mentality that causes parents to force children into a half a dozen different little league sports and then get into fist fights over it with other parents.
>>
i (had) mild adhs got druged so hard that i turned into a zombie and stared outside the window for hours
>>
>>79780288
Nice 88s.

I smoke a-PVP as often as I can to deal with my ADHD.

It helps but has destroyed my life.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA

FUCK YEAH
>>
>>79780552

I personally dont think the hole goes that deep.

I think adhd overdiagnosis is the "answer" that parents who never given proper education to their kids want to answer.

It is not the fact that you never gave a shit about your kids and left them in a daycare where the loudest kid win and there is no concept of respect, it is that they happen to be born with this disease. Must be video games fault.
>>
>>79780288
ADD/ADHD is made-up. You're diagnosed by filling out a 10 question test which basically asks you if you're an active child. If yes they prescribe you for amphetamines.

Source: Did the above to try Adderall
>>
The problem started when parents and teachers expected kids to stop acting like kids. They take away recess, ban outside playtime due to overblown fears and then want the kid to sit still at school and pay attention for hours on end. Then the kid is suppose to sit for hours again to do homework. Then dinner and off to bed. Even weekends are nothing but "safe" indoor activities.

Instead of giving these kids an outlet to burn their energy, they drug them. And then they wonder why all these kids seem to have such severe problems down the line.
>>
I read recently that there's actually a fairly established link between alcohol consumption during pregnancy and ADHD in the offspring.
I'd say it's largely been unnoticed till now simply because for the first time in history we have the vast majority of the population actually going to school, whereas prior to this hyperactive kids would just drop out or not be enrolled.

I also wouldn't be surprised if having kids later in life increases the risk of ADHD, just as it does with autism.
>>
>>79781057

What's a better option for education?
>>
>>79781307

What happened to you after? Did you get off the drugs?
>>
>>79781850
It can't be alcohol consumption, because that would make mothers who want a bit to drink while pregnant wrong.

Making a woman go nine whole months without fucking up your body? Sexist cunt. It's what abortions are for anyway.
>>
>>79782516
Top kek.

To be fair though, women who drink/smoke while pregnant are one of the few demographics it's still socially acceptable to shit on. Them and gingers.
>>
>>79781851

There's really no one easy answer.

First thing that needs to be done, however, is to shake up the current ranks of the teachers. NO system, no matter how intelligently designed, is going to do well with the current quality of teachers we have in.

What's the problem with the current ranks of teachers? The fact that education degrees actually have zero fucking bearing on whether you're good at being a teacher or not. Whatever it is that makes someone a good teacher - we just can't teach it. But we pretend we can, which is why our current crop of teachers are a bunch of subpar, entitled shitheads.

A better system for hiring teachers would be to make sure they have a bachelor's in the subject they're teaching, and then closely monitor their performance and the performance of their students. We may not be able to TEACH people how to be good teachers, but we sure can design a system to IDENTIFY the good ones. Make teachers easier to fire (especially in their earlier years of teaching) and, once you've detected that a person IS a good teacher, PAY THEM WELL (and really monitor what they're doing so that maybe, one day, we CAN hope to teach people how to be good teachers.)

Another thing that would probably be a good idea: Stop designing schools like kid prisons. Build them close to the wilderness - biology classes can benefit from this especially, and it's been shown that being surrounded by trees is stress relief, and actually encourages brain growth. Give kids back their exercise time, at least a couple of hours a day. Instead of having them go straight from class to class, give them 20-30 minute breaks in between.

Restore PE from the absolute pussified mess that it is today. Aggressive games don't TEACH kids aggressiveness - kids are INHERENTLY aggressive. (HUMANS are, actually, kids just more than most.) Physical education should be about showing kids proper, disciplined outlets for their aggression. 1/2
>>
>>79782723
Not in New York.
>>
I became a significantly better student when I started taking medication, but I didn't start until college. Kids shouldn't take that shit. Looking back, I have no idea why anyone younger than high school age even needs to sit still and pay attention
>>
>>79783207
>New York
>A relevant society

I mean, in civilised countries it's acceptable.
>>
>>79782924

You can have pussy PE classes, and then kids will get into fights where they try to kill each other, and you'll end up suspending them or kicking them out because you're under this ideological delusion that humans are inherently non-violent. Or, you can teach them to discipline their aggressive tendencies, teach them just how destructive they can be, and when they get into fights (inevitable, absolutely inevitable for young boys) they will hopefully use that discipline to know when to pull their punches, fights will be less destructive and harmful, and punishments (while they should still be punished) can be more lenient than kicking them out or expelling them.

Redo english classes. Current high school english classes are a joke, they're basically "Here, read all these books that were the favorites of your increasingly insecure boomer teachers, and then write essays reassuring them that they are actually as deep and meaningful as they think they are." You only end up reading one or two books a semester. You should be required to read a lot more, from a more diverse collection of time periods.

Kids should probably be separated, in math classes at least, by IQ levels. Math is incredibly tricky to teach to a meaningful level, and memorizing multiplication tables is retarded. If you differentiate by IQ, you can filter out the kids who aren't worth spending the effort on, and just stick to teaching them math enough to handle their finances. More gifted children can then be put in classes that attempt to explain more abstract concepts to them.

Any of a thousand things we could do, really, if it weren't for the fact that our government and culture are bound by a terrible stagnating inertia. That's the worst thing about this decaying culture, I think. Even the people who see it dying have yet to summon the energy to change it.
>>
>>79780288
what do you think
>>
I've got it.
I take vyvanse currently.
Without it, im only really interested in doing math and computer related things all day.
In school, I'd only really focus on math and science.
On the drugs, I can keep my attention to actually withstand sitting and reading and writing boring shit in English and certain extracurricular activities.
>>
>>79783642
>>79782924
>A constructive and intelligent post
>On /pol/

What the fuck.
>>
>>79780288
23 year old here.

Thinking about going on ADHD meds. Just can't focus worth a shit and if taking amphetamine is the answer then so be it.

Should I go for it or look for alternatives. If I should look for alternatives, where should I find them? Regardless I can't continue like this, my performance in life is beyond fucked.
>>
I've had to deal with this issue and my son's school. He's not add, he's just a little bastard and won't do his work. He can watch TV or play outside focused for hours. As long as it's something he wants to do.
The teachers and counselors at his school badgered us to medicate him. At 1 point my wife broke down and put him on whatever the fuck it was they were peddling. I almost left her for it....
He did marginally better for a bit and we took him off of it.
I got to go to one of these "meetings" at his school. I told them to stop making suggestions because they weren't qualified to diagnose neurological disorders. You go to college for 4 years on an English major and now you can diagnose diseases.

Tl:Dr adhd is a catch all for any socially unacceptable behavior, don't dope up your kids.
>>
>>79780288
I have ADHD and Autism; the combination of the two isn't very good. I don't take anything for the autism, but i have a hard time functioning normally without my ADHD meds.
>>
I'm an intern at a retail pharmacy. The drug cocktails they have some of these 7-10 year olds rockin is batshit insane.
>>
>>79780288
I feel it has to do with the fact that as time went on, there have been more and more easy found distractions in our world, available much quicker (compare the amount of patience needed to go online or play a computer game now versus the 90's). Combine this with a society that encourages letting the electronic Jew to raise your children instead of actively playing with your children, you have a group of children who know that
a) there are much more fun things I could be doing right now
b) my parents never tried to keep me from these things before, why has this changed now?
c) my parents haven't been too much of a guiding force before, what makes them think they can do that now?
>>
>>79785004
I suffer from severe depression related to adhd. Amphetamines are the only thing that help but tolerance is a bitch
>>
>>79785441
This. I've been on some really terrible stuff in my childhood. Unless it's really a serious problem, you shouldn't put the kid on meds. The drugs they give you for it make you miserable in one way or another, and the side effects can be awful.
>>
>>79785693
I have the depression bit too. And anxiety. And the spergs. Surprised I was able to go so long without meds.
>>
>>79785708
As a follow up, when they prescribed it when I was a kid I ducking hated it and it was awful. As an adult it's a different story. I got through college without them but need the scrip to relearn how to focus occasionally. Don't put your kids on it
>>
>>79785887
The worst thing about my medication is I've never had the chance to to learn to live without it b/c it fucks me up when it's not in full effect. I know it takes at least 3 days to leave my body; i can hardly even walk straight when i'm detoxing. I'm going off to college soon, and i can't even remember the last time i wasn't on it.
>>
>>79782924
>>79783642
8/10 dude. good post of the day.
>>
>>79780288
I feel like that kid in the picture.
I was diagnosed with ADHD upon entering kindergarten. the teachers recommended it to my parents.
when I was 13 they put me on anti depressants and sleeping pills
then they gave my anti anxieties
then they gave me anti psychotics
when I was like 17 I decided not to take any more pills against the wishes of my parents and the social workers

I hate pills. I hate mental health field. I wont even take an aspirin or go to a hospital. I don't blame the anti vaxxers, those doctors don't know shit. it's called medical practice for a reason. they warped my mind and ruined my child hood. now I'm shitposting on /pol/. fuck.
>>
The problem with ADHD is misdiagnosis, too many people who don't have the disorder get diagnosed and too many people who have don't get treatment.
>>
>>79781618
they took away recess?
>>
I was diagnosed at 3

That's when I started Ritalin too, I feel it messed me up in the long run.
>>
>>79788774
If you were diagnosed when you were three then your parents were idiots, and your doctor was most likely a jew. sorry that no one had your best interests in mind
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 650x867) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 650x867
>>79789808
My mom was only 27, and yes my doctor was Jewish....
>>
>>79790047
Single mom?
And I don't mean to make you feel bad because it's definitely not your fault, but 27 should be an old enough age to be more than wary of the merchant.
>>
>>79790708
But this was 1989? The start of the whole Ritalin/ADHD fad. She was led to believe that the doctors knew better. No internet around then either.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.