[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sad Former Christians Thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
Who here is a former Christian (or any other religion), who wishes they could be a good God-fearer again, but simply can't muster it up?
>>
loser
>>
File: 1459031306143.jpg (64 KB, 488x817) Image search: [Google]
1459031306143.jpg
64 KB, 488x817
>>79658802
Come back to Holy Mother Church anon, it's never too late.
>>
>>79659502
And attend a traditional Mass parish, like ones administrated by the FSSP or SSPX.
>>
I think about this everyday. I was born in Georgia, but my parents were not religious, so I never went to church.

Now I'm 21 year old lonely atheist, that wishes he could believe.
>>
i've never understood this mindset, i can make myself trust whatever the hell i want as long as there's no contradictions.
maybe i'm just gullible.
>>
>>79658802
Proof for the resurrection of Jesus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0iDNLxmWVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tyVdnIU9A

Genesis makes the most sense out of all religious books when it comes to the beginnings of the world, presented by an ex-atheist professor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsbj7EN1Uzs

Save these links and watch them in your spare time.
>>
>>79659600
>but my parents were not religious
Every single thing you said is literally me except for this sentence. Can we be friends?
>>
File: Zeitun.gif (136 KB, 333x502) Image search: [Google]
Zeitun.gif
136 KB, 333x502
>>79659951
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Zeitoun
Our Lady of Zeitoun, also known simply as El-Zeitoun, Zeitun or rarely Our Lady of Light, was a mass Marian apparition that occurred in the Zeitoun district of Cairo, Egypt, over a period of 2–3 years beginning on April 2, 1968.

>The apparitions were also witnessed by President Gamal Abdel Nasser,[5] and captured by newspaper photographers and Egyptian television. Investigations performed by the police could find no explanation for the phenomenon. No device was found within a radius of fifteen miles capable of projecting the image, while the sheer number of photographs from independent sources suggests that no photographic manipulation was involved. Having been unable to produce an alternative explanation for the luminous sightings, the Egyptian government accepted the apparitions as true.[6]
>>
'Cuck my shit up' Francis proved too much to bear
>>
>>79660104
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_Nobel_laureates

>According to 100 Years of Nobel Prize (2005), a review of Nobel prizes awarded between 1901 and 2000, 65.4% of Nobel Prize Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference (423 prizes).[5] Overall, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of all the Nobel Prizes in Peace,[6] 72.5% in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics,[6] 62% in Medicine,[6] 54% in Economics[6] and 49.5% of all Literature awards.[6]

>The three primary divisions of Christianity are Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Protestantism. Between 1901 and 2000 it was revealed that among 654 Laureates 31.8% have identified Protestant in its various forms (208 prize),[7] 20.3% were Christians (no information about their denominations; 133 prize),[7] 11.6% have identified as Catholic[7] and 1.6% have identified as Eastern Orthodox.[7] Christians make up over 33.2% of the worlds population [8][9][10][11] and have earned 65.4% of Nobel prizes.[5]
>>
I lost my faith 6 years ago.

My mother, my father, my 2 brothers and my sister all died within one year. If there's a god then he hates me.

I don't want to believe in something like this.
>>
>fearing something that doesn't exist
toplel you filthy scrub
>>
>>79660335
Bro, they're all in Heaven.
God's plan is pretty crazy, or atleast it might seem that way to us mortals. :3
>>
>>79660335
Sucks breh.
>>79660594
Kill yourself. Fucking disrespectful piece of shit
>>
>>79659622
for example: if i wanted to believe that my wife was being faithful, and had no reason to think otherwise, i could.

if you're sad that you're not still a christian, wish you could be again, and there's no irreconcilable contradiction, what's stopping you?
"i simply lack enough evidence" ?

imagine throwing that into the fidelity scenario.
>>
>>79660661
I'm not tryin' to be disrespectful. Tryin' to help a brother out. I'm sorry if I did it the wrong way. :(
>>
>>79660661
>>79660773
It's okay guys I don't see any kinds of disrespect here.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>79660587
Nice goy
>>
Whats the problem with being redpilled?
>>
>>79659600
>I was born in Georgia, but my parents were not religious, so I never went to church.

same, except elsewhere in the Bible Belt.
>>
File: jesus-crucifixion-darkness.jpg (5 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
jesus-crucifixion-darkness.jpg
5 KB, 300x231
>>79659600
>>79658802

There's actually a lot of evidence for Christianity, you guys should know! Like take the darkness and earthquake that took place when Jesus was crucified.

>"And the sixth hour having come, darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour"
- Mark 15:33

>"And the earth shook and the rocks were split"
- Matthew 27:51

Non-Christian ancient historians reported this darkness and earthquake, though they tried to explain it as an eclipse:

>in the fourth year of the 202nd Olympiad, an eclipse of the sun happened, greater and more excellent than any that had happened before it; at the sixth hour, day turned into dark night, so that the stars were seen in the sky, and an earthquake in Bithynia toppled many buildings of the city of Nicaea

- Non-Christian Roman historian Phlegon reporting the darkness as an eclipse. Read it here: http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/jerome_chronicle_03_part2.htm

>This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls...an eclipse of the sun

- Summary of the non-Christian Roman historian Thallus reporting the darkness as an eclipse. Read it here: http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0614.htm

But there were no eclipses at this time. Look at all the total eclipses in the world from 30-40 AD here: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearch.php

An eclipse in Polynesia: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=00301114
An eclipse near Chile: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=00311103
An eclipse south of Africa: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=00330319
An eclipse in Indonesia: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=00340309
An eclipse in North America: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=00370701

So it is impossible for this darkness to have been an eclipse. Not to mention eclipses don't cause and have no association with earthquakes.
>>
I can't reconcile God being omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent with how the world actually is. If I want to have faith I'll have to turn to some other, non-Abrahamic religion.
>>
>>79658802
I was raised in an atheist family (well kind of my parents were Goths and whilst my Dad was mostly just into the music my Mum was into Wiccan and Pagan memes) and as such I was a full on fedoratard for the first 12-14 years of my life but then grew up and stopped being such an edgy faggot. Now whilst I am Agnostic I find myself leaning closer towards Christianity every day.
It's a pretty good feeling tbqh.
>>
>>79663782
Holy shit.I'm an agonist christian,but now I'm not thanks to this post.Thanks m8
>>
File: CSJC.jpg (74 KB, 1201x717) Image search: [Google]
CSJC.jpg
74 KB, 1201x717
>>79664560

Wow that's incredible! I'm so glad to hear (^_^)b

Welcome to the Kingdom :D
>>
>>79660335
How?
>>
Maybe a Christian can help me out with my lack of understanding.
What is so impressive about Christ's sacrifice?
>He knew he was going to be resurrected after 3 days
>He knew that he was going to go to Heaven
>He knew that he was trading his death, which was admittedly painful, for the salvation of mankind
So what is so awe-inspiring about being tortured and crucified? Many people (including the other two guys crucified next to Jesus) were tortured and crucified and DIDN'T get resurrected 3 days later. So what did Jesus really sacrifice?

This obsession with Jesus' sacrifice in Christianity has always prevented me from believing.
>>
>>79663874
This
>>
>>79665486
factor in the humiliation, and the fact that he was innocent in every possible way.
>>
File: 621-65217.jpg (162 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
621-65217.jpg
162 KB, 1000x1000
>>79660335

You should read the book of Job.
>>
>>79658802
Bruh you can always return to God and Jesus Christ. The turn from degeneracy is hard but its worth it man.
>>
>>79663782
>Non-Christian ancient historians
It's not like church could edit roman books to fit it's agenda or something. They were only in charge of Rome for 1500 years.
>>
>>79660335
>bad things happen, so it must be God's fault

wew lad
>>
>>79665036
My mom died of breast cancer after living with it for years. My dad, my younger brother and sister died a couple months later in a car crash. One week before christmas my older brother slipped on icy stairs and broke his neck.
>>
>>79667385
How are you holding up? I mean: how old are you and how are you managing your stuff? Are depressions and other health problems interfeering with your every day life?
>>
>>79665486
The fact that it was done to cover the sin of all mankind. God knew man, specifically the gentiles and surrounding nations would always be subject to evil. Even turning to evil themselves.

God basically heard the cry of some men regarding the injustices that man puts other men through. You could have wars motivated by revolutions, but that doesn't guarantee the new generations won't take pleasure in evil. Evil being the exploitation of weaker nations and people for their resources, their resources and their very physical bodies.

God new because of this, many will not only seek justice, but will have conviction and seek a broader salvation in the face of a evil world. That's not to say some men will choose pride in an attempt to exalt themselves above the idea of a creator/The Creator.

But yeah, that's the significance of Jesus Christ in the most simple and lacking context.
>>
>>79658802

christanity is a weak religion if you want to fear god convert to islam
>>
>>79666022
God tortures good loyal man for no reason to brag about it before Satan, then replaces his killed family with new one as compensation. Awesome, such godly love.
>>
>>79667537
I'm 22 now and yes depressions are still coming up sometimes but my buds help me whenever I feel down.
>>
>>79666802
God's word is still found in that book. That's beyond evident. It's impossible to edit that book to the point of not being able to understand God's word.

Roman catholics can attempt to use it and spin it to control the masses, but they were never able to change the doctrine to the point where they could use their re-writtings to suit their personal ambitions and agendas....they do that through deception of what was already written.

I mean no where in the Bible does it say become apart or a slave to the world, obey the one who's in charge of the world (satan), bend a knee to a man of high religious status (like a pope) or what have you.
>>
>>79666802

Phelgon and Thallus were well known historians in their day, and multiple sources report them writing these things. The Christian writings that quote them reporting these things were written before Rome was Christian.

Plus, notice what a lot of these writings are doing, like Julius Africanus' report about Thallus in the post: it isn't saying "Thallus reported this so it is true", its saying "Thallus said that this was an eclipse - but we can see that this isn't true..."

And Jerome wrote in his Commentary on Matthew (as can be seen here: https://books.google.com/books?id=j0UmWBivNJgC&q=eclipse#v=snippet&q=eclipse&f=false) "Those who have written against the Gospels suspect that Christ's disciples, through ignorance, have interpreted an eclipse of the sun in connection with the Lord's Resurrection..."

So even ignoring the legion of problems with the giant conspiracy you're proposing for which there's absolutely no evidence you're effectively saying that Christians were inventing arguments against themselves and inserting them into ancient documents.
>>
>>79665486
>he knew
"My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"
>>
>>79668038
That's good. So you are not alone. Your friends and their families are helping you out then?
>>
File: 1467068815728.jpg (107 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
1467068815728.jpg
107 KB, 500x637
>>79667841
Russians are still the best theologians, I see.
>>
>>79668483
Yeah pretty much. I'm still able to manage most of my stuff alone though.
>>
Basic bible doctrine: Most people in the world are sons of the devil, this is the reason why the followers of the true God will be able to do outstanding miracles that make you flip shit, because sons of God are few and scarce, they have the mark of Gods power.

Now now, how come none of the "good guys" in here can do those miracles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g87lKvxm_so
>>
>>79668912
>basic bible doctrine
you should probably re-read m8
>>
>>79668810
That's very impressive. What gives you this strength? If your story is true, you have been through some of the toughest things that can happen to anyone.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
Last week at work we had a heated debate about Islam, in which I surely argued against Muslim immigration because muh Christianity.

After the debate was over, though, my boss asked me in private: but, do you REALLY believe God became a man, was tortured and died for our sins? I hesitated for a split second, then I answered yes, but it had become clear. It is like when a girl you don't really love asks if you love her, and if you hesitate for a split second, you give away that you really don't.

I don't really believe in the bible (although I do believe in some kind of supreme being or creator). I'm just a Christian by inertia and for cultural reasons. In other words a false Christian.

I would give anything to believe though. To become, like Jesus said, child-like. To talk to God in my head like when I was a child. But I can't. I'm a reprobate.

You helped ruin it for me /pol/! I can never be inspired by the bible stories ever again! All I see now is Jews. Jews everywhere in the New and the Old Testament.
>>
File: 1466387454971.png (662 KB, 2028x1576) Image search: [Google]
1466387454971.png
662 KB, 2028x1576
http://pastebin.com/xMQ9wAwW

Its not too late.
>>
>>79668387
John 10:30
>>
>>79669753
>although I do believe in some kind of supreme being or creator
/pol/ didn't ruin anything for you brotha. Relax and form your own personal religion of self-evident truths in your life, slowly building it up into something coherent.
>>
File: 1463064432676.jpg (593 KB, 674x867) Image search: [Google]
1463064432676.jpg
593 KB, 674x867
>>79669753

>I would give anything to believe though.

What are your thoughts on >>79663782 ? It gives one of the many good reasons to believe!

Once you look into it, there's a massive amount of evidence for Christianity
>>
I really want to believe in God. But I simply don't. I cannot change that. I was raised atheist, and on principles of logic, and it is impossible to deduce the existence of God. But I do love God as an Idea, and hope He exists. Is there a chance for me to be saved if God is real?
>>
>>79669949
Thanks bro. I should do that.
>>
>>79667841
You really need to get your emotions in check when you read the Bible anon.

By allowing satan to destroy Job, God was exalting Job. Not only that, but the story was meant to give you perspective to avoid such emotional break downs in the face of struggle, to make you strong, not to be a weak emotional mess.

Job had everything taken from him. Jobs friends blamed Job, that he had some hidden sin he did not confess to or had done something wrong to upset God. Job felt like they were making it worse for him, because Job himself knew he did no thing wrong. But Job did think if it's God's will for him to suffer, there's nothing he can do to prevent it, for he knew how strong God is and knew God how just God is.

But this is the point in relation to your incorrect definition of the story:

Job's sufferings were not only rendered pointless as everything was restored, but it's meant to give you a perspective of the moment in relation to the broader moment. Suffering and death is brief, but the Creator God Himself, is only moving forward in good and righteousness. There is no death, or acts of death (sin) within the outward movement of Him, which is creation. His creation.

Now you can have a over emotional reaction to that story, a victim mentality, as if God is as petty as man, as you're claiming he is, as if he's that petty and weak with this intentions, because that's all you have seen your entire life from men, so you have no choice but to compare God to man. But that's only because you fail to see the lesson attempting to be taught, that any suffering, any hardship that evil and destruction and and sin which is death, whatever all that brings upon you...it all means nothing when you address the Creator of all things.

There's a reason why God floored Job with a stern response. Job felt like he had the answer to why God allowed this, when Job had no idea that it was meant to not only reward him, but to exalt him even further than he previous was.
>>
>>79670294
All of this was in the face of the very destructive force that has plagued mankind since the beginning, which is the epitome and results of evil.
>>
>>79669524
Sometimes I'm asking this myself too.
I have to admit that I grew kinda emotionless over the past couple years. Especially when it comes to sadness and sorrow.

What happened happened and no one can change that. We're living beings just like every other creature on this planet and if one of us dies it wouldn't hold a different meaning to me than a cat dying. You can't change the fact that death happened and your only option is to move on. Of course I didn't think like that before this tragedy happened but I guess this ideology is the only thing that keeps me from losing my shit on a regular basis.
>>
>>79670238
Faith is a supernatural gift though. No matter how much evidence you present to me, if God wants me to be damned, "I'll be damned". Didn't the Pharisees see Jesus performing miracles in the flesh, and yet they didn't believe? Help me God, for my faith is weak! Take me from myself and give me to yourself!
>>
I lie awake at night, although it's more like the very early morning and obsess about how I and everyone I love is going to die and that that's it. End of story. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach, almost as if I'm going to puke. I want to go back to the time I made my communion and worried about how our local priest would react when I told him my "sins" in confession. I'm just too jaded now and get genuinely upset thinking about it.
>>
>>79660335

God doesn't hate you.

Horrible things happen all the time. Unfortunately for yourthey happened all at once.

We live in a fallen world.

Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>79670923

>Faith is a supernatural gift though. No matter how much evidence you present to me, if God wants me to be damned, "I'll be damned".

That's not true. 1 Timothy 2:4 says that God "wants all men to be saved". So if faith in Him was something God himself gave, then all men would have it.

Rather, faith is a choice you make. You choose to have faith in God or to not. The evidence for Christianity is evidence that having faith in God is the right choice

>Didn't the Pharisees see Jesus performing miracles in the flesh, and yet they didn't believe?

Yup - there are some people who simply won't believe things they don't like no matter how much evidence you show them. But someone who's wise and reasonable will follow the evidence and believe what it supports
>>
I'm a former Christian because Christianity is just as ridiculous and retarded as Islam.

I'm a Mahayana Buddhist now.
>>
>>79671313

Wrong direction
>>
>>79671375

Yeah the wrong direction was being born Christian and baptised. Thankfully I've rid myself of anything Christian because they're all full of cheats, pedophiles and corrupted cucks
>>
>>79670911
Sounds pretty stoic. Maybe you will like Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius or even Seneca. They handle things pretty much like you do and since you already got the practice going, they might give you two or three good ideas.
>>
>>79671864
I might gonna look into these. Thanks m8.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.