[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should we ban GMOs because they're unnatural?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15
File: BLIQMz0CYAAn9ju.jpg (48 KB, 449x392) Image search: [Google]
BLIQMz0CYAAn9ju.jpg
48 KB, 449x392
Should we ban GMOs because they're unnatural?
>>
>>79639936
Just label everything that has GMO.
Let the market decide.
>>
White countries should get non gmo and let poor non white countries eat gmo packed food
>>
>>79639936
We should ban GMOs because hardier crops increase the food availability in Africa.
>>
>>79640095
Well the free market is infallible
>>
>>79639936
>failing for anti GMO propaganda
>all GMO's really just the best trait of a plant or animal species
anti GMO need to bait harder
>>
>>79639936
No, because every single fucking crop humans grow are GMO, just via selective breeding instead of directly messing with the genetics. It's nothing more than a higher efficiency method of bringing out the traits we want in our crops.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 900x900
OOOooooOOOhhhhhhHHHHHH spooky corn
>>
>>79639936
>>79640183
>>79640217

You poor jew-jizz swallowing blind folk. Time to get redpilled.

Watch "The World According to Monsanto"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_DbVdVo-k
>>
>>79639936
The true fear is that gmo crops will be created in such a way that they:
-produce different product that our body chemistry behaves/digests differently with in a detrimental way
-completely replace native seed/crops by nature of pest resilience that produces superbugs
-which then allows crop companies to have a monopoly on food production, as they purposely produce crops that have nonviable seeds

Theres many sci fi books that extrapolate (with real world science) what could happen in the above scenarios
>>
>>79640313
so thats what those things are in hamster food. they always use to love the corn seeds more than anything.
>>
>>79640158
This is the only logical anti-GMO argument I've ever heard.
>>
>>79640604
>posting mediocre propaganda video
This tbqH sempai >>79640183
>>
>>79640604
>monsanto

nigga they are literally only bad in the sense that they're a multi-national corporation and do the same terrible shit all multinationals do

gonna link supersize me next to show me why mcd's is bad?
>>
>>79640767
Wait why do we want to feed Africa?
>>
Yes, GMOs are degenerate.
>>
>>79640762
How have you never seen corn before?!
>>
File: 1456021305129.jpg (80 KB, 471x517) Image search: [Google]
1456021305129.jpg
80 KB, 471x517
>>79640158
Bullshit, those niggers will find a way to fuck it up any way.

>live on some of the most highly fertile land in the world
>starve to death in a desolate wasteland devoid of life
>>
It's amazing how much of /pol/ is prepared to listen to ultra-left anti-technology propaganda.

We should all live in teepees, man, because, you know, it's like... better.
>>
File: 1381274930032.gif (101 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
1381274930032.gif
101 KB, 250x186
>>79640966
>My fellow Americans' reading comprehension
>>
>>79640966
He's a cryptocuck.
>>
>>79640868
>>79640823

Oh, didn't realize that conclusive scientific studies demonstrating carcinogenic effect and leaked documents showing blatant deception by Monsanto to censor accredited scientists were just "mediocre propaganda."

But don't bother watching or reading any of that information. The timing of the introduction of GMOs into populations and skyrocketing cancer rates is just a (((coincidence!)))

Eat up, goyim.
>>
>>79641983
>i have sources
>i'm not going to link them or anything, but i have them
>>
>>79640174
It runs on the process of Natural Selection. Human stupidity could "ruin" it. But they decide the meaning of "good" anyways.
>>
>>79642117
>i have a computer
>i have no idea how to google for first-page results that would easily satisfy my curiosity
>>
File: 1460746567766.jpg (101 KB, 709x538) Image search: [Google]
1460746567766.jpg
101 KB, 709x538
>>79642287
>satisfy my curiosity
I don't even care about anything you're saying, I'm just here to point out how much of a faggot you are.
>>
I dont like my food being tampered with and I dont trust the american goverment or the EU for that matter. That's a good enough reason for me to want to avoid consuming GMO food
some say that it might cause sterilization and you wont be able to procreate, and Im not willing to take the risk and be a test subject for those claims
>>
I fucking hate luddites.
>>
>>79642979
why?
>>
>>79641983

Source on skyrocketing cancer rates.
And link me to a peer-reviewed study that GMOs are harmful. No, Seralini doesn't count, it was retracted because the author was a lying sack of shit like yourself.
>>
>>79643114

Literally holding back the progress of humanity based on feelings.
>>
Nothing wrong with GMOs, besides the fact that they taste like nothing.
>>
>>79643247
it isnt on feelings if their survival depends on it
economic progress is in the function of the survival of the society, not the other way arround

if technological progress decreases the chances of survival of humans, then what good is it just for the sake of it?
>>
>>79643265

There is no "GMO taste". Genetic modification is a process, it is not an ingredient. Most modifications do not affect the flavour and are meant to increase crop yields and resistance to weather and pests, though there are some consumer oriented GMOs entering the market. Watch some videos on youtube of people making fools of themselves when asked to taste test "organic" and "GMO" foods.
>>
>>79643432

You have absolutely nothing to base these claims on besides feelings. Meanwhile, we objectively know that GMOs have SAVED millions of lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice
>>
Turkey has banned GMO foods long ago. Wait til we be superpower by 2023.
>>
There's nothing wrong with GMO food. It's a pure boon, more productivity with less land and resources.

But patenting genes and selling seeds which will create infertile crop plants is pure cancer, and suing farmers who get accidental cross pollination from neighboring farms which use monsanto corn is super mega aids.
>>
>>79643777

>and suing farmers who get accidental cross pollination from neighboring farms which use monsanto corn is super mega aids.

this has never happened.
>>
>>79639936
>selectively breed plants in a controlled environment in order to produce the best-tasting and safest food.

Sounds good!

>Genetically modify the plants in order to quickly select the safe and good-tasting traits that we would've have gotten with the slow process of selective breeding.

OMG UNNATURAL!!!11!1
>>
File: 1391374354442.png (447 KB, 720x528) Image search: [Google]
1391374354442.png
447 KB, 720x528
We have the power to do so much with genetic engineering, but it's the same idiots who say Vaccines cause autism that say GMO's cause cancer.
>>
>>79643625
>implying i want people to live
starvation and famine is a good thing you idiot, it only allows those who think ahead to survive.
>>
>>79643977

Why are you living in a first world country then?
>>
>>79639936
We should ban the carcinogenic ones. We don't need a ban really at all.
What should outrage is the refusal to label. They are claiming the mantle of reason but also demanding to be able to keep secrets.
>>
>>79639936
Absolutely. Let the poor people starve, nobody loves them anyway.
>>
>>79643977
>Implying your ability to think ahead is what guarantees survival and not the current society and environment.
>>
>>79643898
why is there less cancer in Africa and Asia than in USA, France, Netherlands and Norway?
>>
>>79643833

Huh. Someone on the internet lied to me, what a fucker.

Still, selling seed under the condition that you won't save seed for your next crop is a pretty shitty business practice. Not anywhere near as bad, but still jewish as hell.
>>
>>79639936
Can a creature of nature create something unnatural?

It's not really an argument.
>>
>>79644147
A variety of reasons, including living conditions, environmental factors and lifestyle.
>>
>>79644147

[CITATION NEEDED]
>>
>>79640313
GMO ones, those look awesome.
>>
>>79644147

Most cancer is caused by benig fat and by being old. Asians and africans aren't fat, and africans don't live to be old. Lack of diagnosis is also not proof of lack of occurrence. They just die and never learn why they were sick.
>>
>>79644252

It literally has never happened, the cases you're thinking about have all been people doing it on purpose and then lying about it. Look it up.
>>
>>79643833
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_DbVdVo-k

This happened, is happening and will still happen tomorrow.
>>
>>79644147
>die before you reach 20
LOOK NO CANCER!
>>
>>79644442

I was agreeing, I meant that the person who told me about it was a liar, not you.
>>
>>79640095
Individuals and corporations shouldn't be required to label if there isn't a public interesting in doing so. The products of GMO crops are nutritionally equivalent and there isn't a single scientifically proven negative health effect. Organic crops are the biggest scam of the century so far.
>>
File: ayup.png (492 KB, 2740x2380) Image search: [Google]
ayup.png
492 KB, 2740x2380
GMO scare is complete bullshit. Any basic student of science can likewise.
>>
>>79644147
Because instead of getting treated and documented, Africans and asians die in solitude after trying to exorcise the demons.
>>
File: lC5tPnx.jpg (20 KB, 409x352) Image search: [Google]
lC5tPnx.jpg
20 KB, 409x352
>>79639936
Mfw everyone here is bluepilled about gmos
>>
>>79644686
tell me about the movie your sociology 101 teacher made you watch that #woke you
>>
>>79644499
pls tell me what is this, I dont have 2 hours
>>
>>79640677
Which books? I need something new to read.
>>
btw, how can you guys be so sure that these studies are 100% true
Obama has a Nobel prize for peace, I guess you beleive he's the modern Ghandi or something
>>
File: 1456590652027.jpg (281 KB, 1100x1467) Image search: [Google]
1456590652027.jpg
281 KB, 1100x1467
>luddits on the left.
>shills on the right.

It almost seems as if this is a high yield sliding technique. Left Right Left Right, the boots of tyranny march on?

Shes gonna go to jail, theres nothing you can do to stop it. We're taking our world back.
>>
Can anyone actually explain to me what it is about the process of genetically engineering a plant in the lab that makes it a health hazard, as opposed to older methods of selective breeding or bombing the shit out of samples with radiation hoping for a beneficial mutation?
Apparently the process itself somehow makes the resulting plant cancerous. How, is it jewish magic?
>>
Yeah let's ban the only thing that allows us to feed everyone on the planet. Great idea fuckwad.
>>
>>79645171
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_IQw42f7Q

hearing stuff like this
>>
I wish i did biology and knew how to use CRISP.

First thing would be to make a GMO saffron flower with vastly increased yeld.

Then short sell on saffron as i launch my "100 grams per flower" lines of plants and get rich.
>>
>>79640158
>>79640158

Actually, some African countries don't allow GMOs. We just need to make it ALL.
>>
>>79639936
I don't fall for it, it's just a nutrition fad like being afraid of gluten, or olive oil, or salt.

It's all just faggots being faggots
>>
>>79645313

>t. hairy filter man
>>
>>79639936
I's almost 4/20 muh doodbros, don't forget grills kill....s
>>
>>79645313
> believing anything you hear on the alex jones show
>>
>>79639936

yes , i don´t want to waste money on free food for the we wuz kangs an shiet
>>
>>79645459
not an argument
you are attacking the person and cant disprove his claims, read the sticky on how to argument
>>
>>79639936
Let's ask Alex Jones
>>
>>79644547
Google harder.
You can buy all the GMOs you like, no worries; I'll look for more quality food.

Free market is best market.
>>
>>79645539
not just his show
I've seen documentaries on our national TV that spoke about sterilization caused by GMOs

If you cant disprove them 100%, then that's a good enough reason for me to want to stay away from GMOs
>>
>>79645554
Argument is a noun you fucking slav moron.
>>
>>79645554

throwing a youtube video isn't an argument either. I want a fucking claim, I don't have time to watch conspiratard videos.
>>
>>79644147

>be africans
> being worth less than a slave
> die for unknown causes
>family shaman says it was a curse of a witch
>die at age of 16
>brothers dies too but noone knows they exist
>>
>>79645678
that's the whole point
the burden of proof is on the guys who claim GMOs are 100% safe

just like when the court cant determine the defendant is guilty 100% and cant convict him
>>
>>79645666

If that's the quality of your national TV it's no wonder Macedonia is a shithole.
>>
File: monsanto.jpg (224 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
monsanto.jpg
224 KB, 800x600
>>79640677

FYI Monsanto will sue the ever living fuck out of you if they find out that some seeds from their Monsanto strains blew over a fence and have started growing in your field.

They also made it literally illegal for people to take the seeds from mansanto products, and plant them to make another harvest. They force people to buy seeds from them every year for every crop.

Its how they fucked over the africans. They sold them Monsanto corn and other shit, and when the africans went to go plant the seeds from the previous crop, Monsanto lawyers stepped in and told them if they even tried it they'd be put in prison. And because they couldnt afford to buy a new crop of seeds from Monsanto, they were fucked.

Several former high up members of Monsanto are also on the board for the FDA, which apporves what is and isnt allowed in the US. Funny how that works.
>>
File: 1467514406402.png (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1467514406402.png
13 KB, 400x400
>get rid of GMOS
>can no longer support over populated shitholes like Murricrack or Toronto and they all starve
a man can dream
>>
>>79645822
WE WUZ CONQUERERS
>>
>all these monsanto shills itt

gmos are cancerous. monsanto company kitchens dont even serve gmo food because they know the shits terrible
>>
>>79639936
Corn is a GMO

Have fun starving
>>
>>79645670
still better than monolingual americans

>>79645822
you can not prove that GMOs are safe to consume, atleast yet
>>
File: wheredaEBT.jpg (657 KB, 3384x955) Image search: [Google]
wheredaEBT.jpg
657 KB, 3384x955
>>79645374
>some African countries
Let me guess, Zimbabwe?
>>
>>79639936
Label them, let me decide.
>>
>>79645619
nobody stops you from buying GMO-free labeled food, or pesticide free food.
The GMO label requirement would be like being required to print "[pesticide] [GMO] [big agri]" on the standard flour. GMO is an industry standard nowadays, just like fertilizers.
>>
>>79645349
The process for making a commercial GM variety costs well over $100 million. You'd have to go through such a process, even if you only wanted to sell the spice and not seed.

>>79645794
GM products have been demonstrated as safe, again and again, for decades. There has not been a commercially available GM product that has shown to cause harm to humans. Every single study (all 3 or 4) that has "found" some negative health effect associated with GM crops has been either blased for shit methodology, pulled from the journal, or both. Every single person that thinks GM crops are harmful knows next to nothing about them.

>>79645825
Oh wow, you don't understand how intellectual property works. Monsanto makes the farmers sign an agreement stating they won't keep seed to plant the next year. There are multiple reasons for this: 1)Monsanto sells hybrid corn and the offspring won't breed true. Planting the harvested seed would make their product look worse; 2)It costs a shit ton of money to make a commercial crop variety, especially GM corn (lots of conventional breeding + everything associated with the transgene); 3)the farmer could just not use Monsanto corn if he wasn't okay with this. Keeping seed hasn't been the practice for decades, since again, hybrid corn doesn't breed true. There isn't a magic surprise around this and everyone knows it.

Monsanto is actually really involved with African farmers, so I don't doubt some sub-50 IQ farmers didn't understand the agreement and then violated it.
>>
>>79641112
>live on some of the most highly fertile land in the world

Jungles aren't fertile just because they are lush. Deserts certainly aren't fertile. What are you even saying?
>>
>>79645942

>>can no longer support over populated shitholes like Murricrack or Toronto and they all starve

We actually already produce hundreds of thousands of tons of produce that goes to waste every year.

Every farmer has contracts to sell their produce to a buyer. When the contract runs out they can decide if they want to go with the same buyer or go with a buyer that will pay them more.

The buyer send people out to asses how good a crop is. If for whatever reason they find i "unsatisfactory", the entire crop is left to rot in the field. It could be anything from "The hot weather has made the lettuce look a little wilted", so "This Broccoli isnt quite green looking enough."

Part of the farmers contracts also state that they arent allowed to sell the crop to anyone else. So it just sits there rotting, and they make no money off it. But LEL, thank goodness for subsidized farming!
>>
>>79639936
>should we ban everything more advanced than a fucking stick because they're unnatural
No you fucking shit, humans have been "genetically modifying" fruits since the day they first started farming, just look at a fucking banana
>>
>>79646352
>The process for making a commercial GM variety costs well over $100 million. You'd have to go through such a process, even if you only wanted to sell the spice and not seed.
Producing or actually "using" (planting, selling, etc)?
>>
>>79646352
>GM products have been demonstrated as safe, again and again, for decades.
like I said, Obama has a Nobel prize for peace

Do you agree that GMOs should be atleast labeled as such and let people buy what they want?
science updates quickly and overnight in this age, so I dont want to consume them for years and then later find out that there's something wrong with them, like they are going to cause my (grand)children to not be able to reproduce.

Also, what's the EU laws stance on GMOs? someone know?
>>
>>79646762
Requiring labeling heavily implies to a consumer that there is a reason for doing so, i.e. that GMO products are substantially different than non-GMO products, which they are not.
>>
>>79646542
Overall development. Actually planting, selling isn't more expensive. Something like 95% of corn in the US is GM.

>>79646762
>Do you agree that GMOs should be atleast labeled as such and let people buy what they want?
No, I don't think mandatory labelling should be put into place. It's entirely because the public's perception of GM crops has been polluted by disinformation. If this wasn't the case I would be fine with it.

>Also, what's the EU laws stance on GMOs? someone know?
The EU is heavily against GMOs.
From wikipedia:
> By the year 2010, the only GMO food crop with approval for cultivation in Europe was MON 810, a Bt expressing maize conferring resistance to the European corn borer that gained approval in 1998.

Specific countries have also banned GMO cultivation entirely:
Bulgaria, France, Germany, Northern Ireland ans Scotland.
>>
>>79646999
maybe not on the outside

in this room im staying there's probably a billion nano organisms unseeable even with a microscope or whatever

and how can you say that selective breeding is the same as tampering with food in a laboratory? its totaly not the same

and another thing, who is to say that scientific studies arent owned by corporations with their own interests
we can clearly see the goverments are owned by corporations and banks, how can I put my trust in anything
what about the Pope kissing the legs of economic migrants from Africa and talking about Europe accepting 'refugees'? do you trust that? I dont.
the jury is still out on GMOs, as far as im concerned
even if there's a thousand scientific studies, its just the time that we're living in is full with BS on every step

>>79647393
>The EU is heavily against GMOs.
>>79647393
>Specific countries have also banned GMO cultivation entirely:
>Bulgaria, France, Germany, Northern Ireland ans Scotland.

and how can someone shill after this that they are 100% safe?
>>
>>79640762
what fucking cave do you live in where you've never seen corn?
>>
>>79647773
Because I'm not a shill. The EU bans are entirely done based on public perception and the fear of gene flow of transgenes to non-GM crops or even out into the wild. This is probably the one valid concern with GM crops, but relies on a number of exceedingly rare events to happen if you are using something like corn, which doesn't have a wild relative in Europe that it can cross to. They absolutely aren't based on any human health effect.

>and another thing, who is to say that scientific studies arent owned by corporations with their own interests

This is always true of scientific papers. Always look at the authors and where the funding is coming from.
>>
>>79648028
Reminds me of this Canadian I saw on /vg/ who derailed the fallout general because he'd never heard of cherries before. He kept asking what they tasted like.
>>
>>79644042

because you reap what you sow.
>>
>>79644547
Because printing "This product is produced on equipment that processes peanuts" is such an egregious restriction on candy manufacturers, right?

Jesus, they're barely staying afloat with all the money they spend on labeling.
>>
>>79644118
agreed
>>
>>79639936
>implying if government regulation has helped with any thing.

stop fucking with free market capitalism and just as long food providers mark GMO foods we will be able to decide for our selves. Enough with this nanny state hoarse crap
>>
>>79644340

These are the people defending GMOs. Let that sink in.
>>
>>79646438

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhDhd0vbZ6M
>>
>>79640313
Corn seed sold to farmers is coated to protect it and enhance germination rates. It has nothing to do with genetic modification.
>>
>>79639936
GMO myths are fucking made up by organic food companies that want you to pay twice a s much for food.

Anti-GMO laws are nothing more than corporate welfare and pseudoscience.

Nobody was ever harmed by a GMO. They are healthy and BETTER than natural foods.
>>
>>79649864
>people so uneducated about genetics that they oppose GMO
>>
>>79639936
Y'all luddites should be fucking gassed.

Being a faggot is also unnatural yet their marriage is now legal, go figure.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.