[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about the decline in pollinating insects,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: wee lad.jpg (74 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
wee lad.jpg
74 KB, 1280x853
What does /pol/ think about the decline in pollinating insects, mainly honey bees?

I know you guys are more concerned with lynching niggers and worshipping Trump and Farage, but you do realize how fucked we all are if these insects die out, right?
>>
I was just noticing that there aren't as many of them around as usual this year, and that many of the home gardens I walk past aren't looking very good, including my own.

Then I read a local news article that there's a massive bee population decline in my area. Some suspect it's due to the pesticides. Last year I maintained a big area of what most would call weeds just because it became a popular hangout for bees toward the end of the season.
>>
>>79401329
Da white race needs trump more than it needs bees

How dare you offend trump like this?
>>
>>79401930
Yeah, I guess /pol/ don't care about actual happenings.
>>
>>79401329
To what good people should I donate to save them? We would all starve if it wasn't for honey bees.
>>
>>79402487
Well the popular thing to do these days is to have beekeepers drive a truck full of hives over to your farm to get it pollenated.

That's how fucked up the situation is. I just figure I can do my part by giving the wild ones a non-poisonous haven.
>>
>>79401329
>the world will end because bees are dying

Sounds like the good ol' kike pyramid scheme. All kikes do is build pyramids.
>>
>>79402487
If you have a garden, buying a small bee colony is a good way.
Also, planting bee friendly flowers is a great help.
>>
GMOs and pesticide

african bees cucking the honey bees

they never had a chance
>>
let your grass grow, stop using weed killers and pesticides for your grass especially Round Up. our obsession with neat, short, green grassy lawns is a huge factor to this.
>>
They just have to kill off the varroa mites and it'll be back to business as usual. These small scale bee keepers aren't doing anything about the mites and they're basically creating targets for the mites, which jump from colony to colony.

How ironic that the "we're saving da bees!" group is the ones killing them off.
>>
>>79401329
its bad which is why I sow wild flower seeds, compost, tend flowering ivy, keep bees, and take part in a swarm watch scheme. first step in reclaiming civilization is to not be a nig.
>>
File: 1359124057263.jpg (23 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
1359124057263.jpg
23 KB, 569x428
>>79402487
You're probably better off just becoming an amatuer apiarist.

That way you save bees, get royal jelly, honey and all that good stuff so it's an added source of income.

Even more points if you use your honey to make Mead.
>>
Taking a moment from lynching filthy niggers to express my concern for the bees.
>>
>>79402988

Wrong.

>>79402925

Wrong.
>>
Google solar radiation management
Stratospheric aerosol injections

A toxic slew is being sprayed daily. Bees are dying trees are dying.
>>
>>79401329
Good I fucking hate bees
>>
>>79401329
We have a small beehive in our back garden, so we're doing our bit
>>
>>79403073
Alex Jones faggots use /b/
>>
File: Varroa_Mite.jpg (11 KB, 216x252) Image search: [Google]
Varroa_Mite.jpg
11 KB, 216x252
>>79401329
>>79401646
Pesticides don't factor in as much as you think they would.
It's almost 90% mites.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

A mite that doesn't even kill the Bee. It feeds on its ichor, plants eggs with the larva, and sufficiently weakens the metamorphosis process of the larva-to-bee state.

There's no known way to handle it outside of specially engineering a virus or modifying a fungal parasite into specifically attacking the mites.
>>
File: merchant of tunis.png (4 KB, 368x376) Image search: [Google]
merchant of tunis.png
4 KB, 368x376
>>79403055
>keep using monsanto products goy, they're doing nothing wrong
>>
>>79401329
Well there not Native in North American so if there 0 honey bees in North America it would be the same as 400 years. I own bees and the pest is killing the bees and chems
>>
>>79401329
species are dying at speed that are faster than ANY prior mass extinction event in earth history, and global warming hasnt even really started, yet

In 200 years from now this planet will literally be an apocalyptic wasteland, not even kidding.
>>
>>79403179
http://www.cfr.org/projects/world/geoengineering-workshop-on-unilateral-planetary-scale-geoengineering/pr1364
This stuff is all out there.
>>
I plant bee and butterfly friendly plants on my little piece of clay. The bees really enjoy the Lantana and the butterflies (monarck) whole life cycle depends on the orange Milkweed I plant. I grow fruit so I need these pollinators.

Good thread OP - I'll go enjoy my three day ban now.
>>
>>79403362
and Germany will get the blame
>>
For all you faggots talking about pesticides and RoundUp and other moonbat talk:

http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/disorders/honey-bee-parasites.html

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bees/varroa_mite.htm

https://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/pdfs/2.03%20copy.pdf

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-201.pdf
>>
>>79403284
This somehow pisses me off in a way i cannot properly describe.
fucking parasites cant keep getting away with this
>>
>>79401329
Bees aren't the most important pollinators because they're population is very unstable, a lot of them die, more come back later. The majority of pollination is done by other insects all together not just on type.
>>
File: worry.jpg (11 KB, 192x245) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
11 KB, 192x245
>>79401329

>Bees die
>Hornets live on

only the dead can know peace from this evil
>>
>>79403404
Well shit, you better start running /b/ro. Government is after you. Better get a head start
>>
>>79403284
there are different stressors that fuck bees up, and pesticides are most fucking certainly a gigantic problem.

look at china, they allow almost unrestricted pesticide usage and in certain parts bees have already died out so that they actually used farmes to pollinate trees by hand (!)

>r-really guys, it's not pesticides!1
>>
>>79403284
Well if that's the case then I suppose supporting a large diversity of hives via wild bees ought to be helpful, no?
>>
>>79403460
What's it like working for Monsanto ?
>faggot
>>
>>79403297

You shouldn't even need RoundUp on a healthy lawn, dipshit. My grass grows so thick the ants don't even bother. They fuck off to my backyard.
>>
>>79401329
Wasps can polinate everything just fine, so no one gives a shit
>>
>>79403579

This faggot. Lol.

I don't use pesticides on my lawn or islands. That's what a scuffle hoe is for.
>>
>>79403608
Yeah, but fuck wasps. A couple of fucking yellow jackets keeping me at a distance isn't a problem, but if they set up a nest anywhere near me then out comes the wasp spray and its oger for those bastards.
>>
info on Irish attempts
http://desireland.ie/the-bait-hive-initiative/

if you are interested look for local beekeeper associations, as anon above said, you need to learn about disease control and best practice. if you just want bees to exist you don't necessarily need all the fixtures and fittings eg. frames, box hives, supers etc.
>>
>>79403284

I'm no expert on the subject but i would suppose that pesticide could kill natural mites predators, is it the case?
>>
>>79403608
Exactly, there are many other insects that can pollinate far more effectively than butterflies and bees. Bees and butterflies are not very durable as an entire species. Because they're all related within a hive they all die or mostly die when they get sick.
>>
>>79403327
This is correct, but native bees (Mason bees for example) have also substantially declined. Pesticides, monocropping (bees need a varied diet too), mites, and loss of habitat all contribute to this.
>>
>>79403566
>In a place where DDT is legal and widely used insects are uncommon
>>
>>79403520
>>79403869
Other pollinators such a butterflies, wasps, bumble bees and moths are also at risk. The problem with these is that it's extremely difficult to determine the cause since we don't use wasp and bumble bee colonies, but studies have shown that their numbers are crashing and the main guess is loss of habitat.

This is really, really bad, and we are not nearly doing enough to solve this.
>>
>>79403838

They're breeding mite resistant bees like crazy. That's more than likely going to be the large scale solution. Better disease and pest prevention techniques will supplement this.
>>
>>79403516
>>79403566
>>79403578
>>79403838
Pesticides might have a large impact upon the Bee population, but many entomology communities are putting a large portion of the blame on mites and the diseases they carry that can wipe or stunt a bee colonies growth (deformed wing syndrome, ect).

If you want to have the most profound impact on bee health, stop blaming pesticide companies and start looking at natural predators or deterrents of Varroa Destructor.
>>
>>79404073
I wasn't saying all is well, I was saying everyone is worried about the bees and not seeing that the real pollinators are dying out.
>>
>>79403917
Well no one cares about native bees because they think bees been here for ever. Also I have not seen research about there decline. But I will say ALL major bee farms treat there bees like shit. They die some what to them caring about money and not how the bees should be raised
>>
>>79403608
Different pollinators are adapted to different types of plants. Ecosystems are very interdependent and even seemingly disposable members can be very important for maintaining the balance.
>>
>>79404315
When I grew up, a flowering hedge or an unkempt lawn with some clover would be literally humming with bee activity. I used to watch them.

I'm not really seeing much of any activity this year, bees or otherwise. There are some tiny little things between the size of a fruit fly and a mosquito that I guess I never really noticed before because they're so small, but that seems to be the majority pollenator this time around.
>>
could be worse than y2k
>>
>>79404344
Everyone has focused on honeybees because they are dual purpose and there is the whole colony collapse thing, but there has recently been more interest in looking at native bees as they are actually responsible for a lot of pollination. Unfortunately since they are largely solitary and don't produce honey few people give them much thought.

>50 percent of Midwestern native bee species disappeared from their historic ranges in the last 100 years. Four of our bumblebee species declined 96 percent in the last 20 years, and three species are believed to already be extinct.
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/youre-worrying-wrong-bees/
>>
File: 1457036600584.jpg (48 KB, 880x558) Image search: [Google]
1457036600584.jpg
48 KB, 880x558
hi mods

>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XorKTwkFPDU
>>
>>79401329
Gas the hornets
Hive war now
>>
>>79404717
Well I learned something today and that's no good they are most likely dieing due to chem. Sad day indeed
>>
>>79401329
I plant a heavy array of nectar and pollen producing plants that cover about 10 months out of the year. I counted 43 different species of Hymenoptera this year alone.
>>
I've been hearing about bees dying for about a decade now and how it will end the world.

I expect to hear about it for the next decade, and the next, and the next...
>>
>>79405767
Deports the wasps
Make bee hives great again
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.