[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Conservatives Now Supporting Gun Control
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: oreilly-guncontrol.png (656 KB, 963x483) Image search: [Google]
oreilly-guncontrol.png
656 KB, 963x483
I was surprised by Bill O'Reilly's segment in which he made an argument in support of gun control.

>Video
https://youtu.be/sNye7irPf0k?t=3m35s

What surprised me more however, was how he made the argument using the Constitution. I had to check the actual text of the 2nd amendment, because I was always under the impression that the 2nd amendment was basically this:
>"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Because that is how it is often presented, especially by pro-gun advocates, but that is only half of the sentence.

The full sentence is this:

>"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

This is the argument made in part by Bill O'Reilly, that the purpose and means of the right to bear arms is clear:

>"a well regulated militia"

I learned to shoot a .357 at the age of twelve, my father gave me a .38 special when I turned 18 and I've shot everything from AR-15s to SKS and AK-47s. I no longer own a gun, but I am by no means anti-gun. However, I do feel somewhat misled on the 2nd amendment, particularly by groups like the NRA. The 2nd amendment is clear as to what it's purpose and means are, a "well regulated militia".

My father is a gun advocate and has always owned firearms and taught me at a young age how to responsibly handle firearms. He reminded me the other day that his political hero, Ronald Reagan, supported the semi-automatic assault weapons ban and even rallied Congressional Republicans to pass the assault weapons ban in 1994. However from the 90s into the 2000s, the NRA had adopted an uncompromising dogma and stronghold in the GOP.

What do you /pol/fags think?
>>
See minute 3:35 in video for the part where O'Reilly makes his argument in support of gun control, I time-tagged the video but 4chan's embed feature doesn't take this into account
>>
babby's first reading comprehension

the right of the people to keep and bear arms exists unrelated to the existence of a weel regulated militia
>>
>o'veyly
>not a massive cuckservative 90% of the time
>>
>>79307575

It's the same sentence, the first part of the sentence is incomplete on it's own.

>A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state

The second part is clearly the continuation of the premise set in the first part of the sentence above.

>A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 604x453
I think you're a faggot considering that "a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state" is a dependent clause, explaining why the "right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infinged"
Reagan was a neo con ass half the time anyway.
>>
>>79307425
It's because the GOP knows it is dying. There will be more last ditch efforts before the new right comes in.
>>
>>79307425
The simplest solution to the whole gun issue is to form a well-regulated militias then. Just set one up for your neighborhood and work from there.
>>
>>79307959
I need dis
>>
>>79307824
again babbys first reading comprehension

the fact that the first part of the sentence is incomplete should tell you that it's a subclause and "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is the main clause and what you should see as the crucial part of this amendment
>>
Well regulated meant well prepare and in working order when the 2nd amendment was written.

Not that this matters as the well regulated militia isn't a qualifier for the right to keep and bear arms but is a statement of its purpose
>>
>>79307425
why didn't the just use a semicolon instead of a comma?
>>
File: 1466629992852.jpg (1 MB, 3012x1728) Image search: [Google]
1466629992852.jpg
1 MB, 3012x1728
>>79307425
>>
Crowders latest video covers this exact argument. There are hundreds of quotes from the founding fathers, WHO WROTE THE CONSTITUTION, that say things like "all men should armed at all times" and "to enslave a people, first disarm them" etc. This argument has already been covered.
>>
>>79308243
they
>>
File: B20LbnbCYAA4n6V_2[1].jpg (96 KB, 599x573) Image search: [Google]
B20LbnbCYAA4n6V_2[1].jpg
96 KB, 599x573
>>79307824
>>
File: 1436457692388.gif (39 KB, 827x628) Image search: [Google]
1436457692388.gif
39 KB, 827x628
>>79307824
>>79307425
learn english you dumb fucker
>>
>>79307425
How easy is it for USA born ISIS supporters to do an Ataturk Airport?
>>
File: 1415856807569.jpg (92 KB, 811x680) Image search: [Google]
1415856807569.jpg
92 KB, 811x680
"the militia" at the time referred to all able bodied males that would be expected to defend their homes if for some reason he had to.

Future amendments to the constitution would remove the gender and ability restrictions so technically every breathing american citizen is part of the militia and therefore can keep and bear arms.
>>
>>79307959
THIS.

in order to have a necessary militia (for the security of the free state), the people must have the right to keep and bear arms, and that right shall not be infringed.
Gun controls faggots BTFO
>>
>>79308165
/thread
>>
File: Lnbp79m.jpg (160 KB, 819x783) Image search: [Google]
Lnbp79m.jpg
160 KB, 819x783
>>79307425
>>
>>79307425
This is the difference between "gun owners" and "gun nuts" right?

Like for example a mate of mine owns a shotgun for sport shooting but because he has 3 kids he keeps it in a proper gun safe that is bolted into the concrete foundation of his house.

I'm not really into guns but what concerns me most is not "gun owners" but irresponsible yahoos who don't respect guns, as in, respect that guns have the potential to maim or kill and do need to be handled and stored sensibly.
>>
>>79307425
You are the militia, you guarantee the freedom of your state, you have a right to own arms.

Fuck off shill.
>>
>>79308542
No, a "gun nut" is literally anyone who owns a firearm.

You don't understand how liberals work.
>>
>>79307959

You need to understand that I was under the impression as well that the "right to bear arms shall not be infringed" was the premise.

I high suggest reading the first gun debate in our nation among our founding fathers when drafting the 2nd amendment. There is no mystery as to what they meant by the 2nd amendment, because the debate that precluded the drafting of the 2nd amendment is well documented:

http://www.constitution.org/mil/militia_debate_1789.txt

Different state delegates wanted different things, some states wanted no right to bear arms, some only wanted the right to be given to military personnel. The 2nd amendment was a compromise, we know exactly what they meant by it.
>>
>>79308106
>Not understanding the second amendment

Wew
>>
>>79308571
Muh nigga
>>
File: hullo.jpg (64 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
hullo.jpg
64 KB, 720x480
Hullo from the other side
>>
File: 1441801667173.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1441801667173.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>Well-regulated means well equipped, supplied or trained
>240 years later people pretend it means something different and hope the average person is dumb enough to fall for it
>They usually are
This is what happens when you let people control the narrative.
>>
>>79308542
I always thought schools should dedicate a day towards gun safety since there are already days where kids learn about sex, or school shootings. Just show a video about how to properly hold a firearm so you don't blast your head off, how a safety works, where to store guns if you have children, local laws about gun ownership, always treat a gun as loaded and only point at things that you are ready to shoot. Trigger discipline alone would cut a good 70% of teen's deaths outside of suicide when it comes to firearms. Despite this, I don't think the "Please think of the children" types would support this.

Some Church got a range permit to help educate people about proper gun safety, while having some fun too. Thought it was a great idea.
>>
>>79308677
sad really considering that in terms of 'classical liberalism', gun ownership should be a function of individual liberty.

but at the same time, I don't think its unreasonable to expect that persons who choose to own guns should be expected to exercise a certain degree of prudent risk-management vis-a-vis secure storage and appropriate firearms training.
>>
>>79309072
It used to be the case, but liberals are so scared of guns they don't even want kids LOOKING at them.

Ideally, kids wouldn't even know what a gun IS.

It tellingly reveals how liberals view education as a form of propaganda and brainwashing, rather than a way to actually educate.
>>
>>79308716
So you're a faggot from reddit pretending to be confused as to the meaning of the 2nd amendment. Fuck off.

2nd amendment = don't touch my fucking guns.
Source: lawyer
>>
>>79309072
yeah this too. you would think considering how entrenched (and perhaps even necessary) gun ownership is in USA, that public institutions would be all for teach kids how to properly handle guns.
>>
>>79308571
Mein Niggaumf
>>
>>79308716
and I suggest fucking off
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/gun-quotations-founding-fathers
quotations from the founding fathers in relation to the right of the people to keep and bear arms
The intention doesnt matter anyway, the amendment says that its the right of the people, even if it was just in a militia (all men, Milita act of 1903), shall not be infringed
>>
Americans are so dumb they can't even comprehend their own language.

The meaning behind the sentence is very clear and impossible to misinterpret.
The right for people to own guns is not going to be infringed, the reason is that there needs to be a well regulated militia.
It says that your rights will not be infringed, and it cites a good reason for why your rights aren't going to be infringed.

The founding fathers should have dumbed down the constitution because Americans are fucking retarded.
>>
>>79307425
>>79307824

When Sun Tzu said that laws and military orders should be simple, direct and easy to understand to avoid interpretations, this comes to my mind.
Reading the Bill of Rights in my wattle and daub school I always thought it was a mix of advices and protecting peoples' right. Like, don't take aways the right of the people to own firearms and allowing militias to exist (an addendum to the first) to protect themselves from the government.
>>
>>79307425
>For the United States of America to remain free and independent, the population shall be armed, and no one shall hinder them being armed.
Nothing changed retard, if you haven't heard the full 2nd before, you're just so stupid.
>>
>>79308165
>>79308250
>>79308388
>>79308402
>>79308493
>>79308533
>>79308726

I think there is some confusion here,

this is your right:

>the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

This is the reason you have that right:

You are right that the "well regulated militia being necessary" is conditional statement dependent on the "right to bear arms".

>>79308307

I highly suggest reading the well-document drafting of the 2nd amendment. This is the original gun debate in the US. Some state delegates wanted no right to bear arms, some only wanted it to be granted to military personnel. Some states wanted the right to be granted only to those who were properly trained.

The 2nd amendment was basically a compromise, and the purpose is clear. The right was given so that citizen militias could be formed to protect their freedom. But not just any citizen militia, a well regulated militia.
>>
What I really fucking hate is how they push the lie that the second amendment exists so that people will be armed and can stop the federal government if it becomes tyrannical.

This is completely fucking ridiculous. The founding fathers had just for a very bloody war to establish their government, the last thing they wanted was a fucking killswitch for it.

If you read their actual debates on the subject, like the first congressional debate on arms and militia, 1789, it becomes obvious that the second Amendment of the United States Constitution is NOT meant for overthrowing the American government at all. It's so that people can fucking defend the government. The government is not even supposed to have teeth, it is not supposed to control a federal army when not in a state of war as declared by congress, it is only supposed to maintain a standing Navy to protect shipping lanes. The US government is not even supposed to be able to exert tyranny, by design.

It pisses me off when lobby groups like the NRA spread propaganda, because it just means that people remain willfully ignorant to the full extent of how visionary the founders truly were. They designed a nation in which the government was not intended to be able to ever enforce it's will by force.

And when I point this out, all anybody can do is bleat on about how I am anti-gun, even though the intent I am pointing out is that EVERY American is supposed to be trained and either armed, or with access to arms, depending on the logistics favoured by individual states for their state militias, which every able bodied citizen is supposed to be in.

I don't know if it's because they're too fucking stupid do do anything but lash out the moment anybody disagrees with the exact letter of about whatever propaganda it is that they've chosen to favour, or if they just don't want to look at what the founders tried to create, in light of how far America has drifted away from their intent.
>>
>>79308307

Forgot to provide link above, here you go:

The debate that led to the drafting of the 2nd amendment is well documented.
>>
>>79309327
>>79309272
It's just so sad that the argument for sexual education is "They are doing it anyway so better show them how to be safe" somehow doesn't apply to teens playing with guns. One kid in my school died because they were playing with an "empty" gun and tried to mock suicide but he didn't know about the +1.

I cannot think of a downside to gathering the kids in a room and making them watch a thirty minute video about trigger discipline and other tips when we have entire days dedicated to bullying and school shootings.

I can already imagine the moral guardians screaming that it would encourage school shootings or other crap. Like the only thing holding back more murder is criminals not knowing that they should always keep their gun pointed down to the ground or away from others.

This is in Oklahoma so if it doesn't happen here it's not happening anywhere.
>>
>>79309072
>>79309327
Most of the time you learn this from your parents. My father had two revolvers and a shotgun, he told us about it and it's not something impossible to learn.
>>
>>79307824
How the fuck do you compose a well-regulated militia without individuals who are able to own arms?
>>
>>79309689
A militia that in 1903, was determined to be all Male citizens of the united states
>>
>>79307425
NAU FUCK YEAH!
PREPARE YOUR WHITE FLAGS.
>>
>>79307575

The meaning is clear: the militia would get to exist because individual citizens were armed. The militia is the afterthought in the 2nd Amendment, even though the way it is phrased is sort of inverted.

Plus multiple founders explicitly stated the point was the individual arming of citizens.
>>
File: 1416909968291.gif (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1416909968291.gif
3 MB, 320x180
>>79307425

Why are people like this cuck so afraid of rifles?

They're hardly used at all criminally compared to hand guns
>>
>>79309779
>The founding fathers had just for a very bloody war to establish their government, the last thing they wanted was a fucking killswitch for it.
That exactly what they wanted you idiot, Thomas Jefferson thought there should be a revolution every generation
>>
>>79309851
Problem is some parents are liberal pussies. My dad, ex military, pretended guns didn't even exist around us. I only learned about guns through my own curiosity when I was 19.

You just can't trust that all parents will be traditional like that. Maybe it's their choice not to teach their kids but every time a ND kills somebody we start the whole gun control debate again.
>>
>>79307425
Hes just following jebu's teachings for:
There is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. (Romans 13:1b)

Anyone who doesnt listen to their government is a heretic and will burn in hell.
>>
>>79309779
Yea really makes you think, its almost like the founding father himself never mentioned rebellions because of too much overreach or anything.

http://tjrs.monticello.org/letter/100
>>
>>79308716
>(((well documented)))

You are a faggot though, a militia is not a full time job. A militia is a "grassroots army" and the second amendment states clearly that the right of the people to keep and bear arms is essential to the formation of a militia. You can't just say we're never going to for any more militias, and the only people allowed to have guns are the people in the current militias.

Basically, I'm saying that even if your entire premise WAS correct, you would still only be able to draw the conclusion that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
>>
>>79309689
>But not just any citizen militia, a well regulated militia.

that means they have access to all weaponry and equipment as able to provided by adequate budgeting,
>>
>>79309779
something about this post disturbs me
>>
>>79309779
>so that people will be armed and can stop the federal government if it becomes tyrannical.
the government can never become completely tyrannical so long as the people are armed
>>
>>79310224
>were never going to form* any more militias.
>>
>>79307425
>Conservatives
always knew these guys were just democrats
>>
>>79309946

Maybe you're a bit confused. I never in this thread made an argument that citizens should not have the right to bear arms. Read my post.

this is your right:

It is a conditional statement, the necessity of a well regulated militia is dependent on the right to bear arms. But this also makes clear the purpose of that right.

Read the proposals and debate that led to the drafting of 2nd amendment, it is well-documented:

The 2nd amendment was basically a compromise, some state delegates at the constitutional convention wanted no right to bear arms. Some state delegates wanted only military personnel to have the right, some only wanted well-trained persons to have the right. They all agreed as to the purpose of the right, for citizens to form a well regulated militia to protect the free state.
>>
>>79307425
Shitty bait you cocksucking faggot.
>>
>>79307425
>Conservatives Now Supporting Gun Control
One can't be Conservative and support Gun Control.

Conservative = Conserve Gun Rights.

O'Reilly has always supported firearm registration. He's not a Conservative.

>What do you /pol/fags think?
Shall not be infringed motherfucker.
>>
>>79307824
i like how you left that big, fat, juicy comma out that clearly and distinctly divides the sentence
sage for shilling
>>
>>79307425
If I recall correctly, a "well regulated militia" meant something very different when the 2nd amendment was written.

People think it means a government approved militia being subject to regulations set forth by the government or some shit, but at the time "militia" and "regulated" didn't mean this.

I hope someone else can find the relevant information I can't quite remember exactly
>>
>>79308408
Simple. Travel out west. Get some heavy weapons from Mexican "La Raza" cartel smugglers. And have fun.

Legally purchased guns are harder to get than street Steele. Especially if both the supplier and the customer hate the intended target.
>>
>>79309779
>It's so that people can fucking defend the government.

the just and true government Sally

no get that cute little ass in the kitchen and get me a sandwich
>>
File: 1404536778024.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1404536778024.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>>79309948

DELETE THIS
>>
>>79310224

This is your right:

Now read the well-documented debate that led to the drafting of the 2nd amendment for a better understanding of what they meant:

>>
>>79310454
A militia that in 1903, was determined to be all Male citizens of the united states
>>
File: tjnwu3.jpg (106 KB, 838x530) Image search: [Google]
tjnwu3.jpg
106 KB, 838x530
>>79309689
The founders and the framers of the Constitution themselves disagree with your interpretation of what they themselves wrote. Read anything of what the founders & framers wrote about what they meant by the 2nd amendment.
>>
>it's a nobody understand how compound sentences work anymore rerun
*click*
>>
>>79310567
>Can't read.

Look:

>A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

That appears to be a big fat comma in the sentence, which I did not leave out.
>>
>>79310096
>>79310177

>only one guy ever wrote anything and he only wrote that one thing

You're fucking morons. Try actually reading their actual writings and debates instead of just taking one soundbyte and letting it sum up decades of works, lazy ignorant trash.

>>79310096
And then there's this retard who can't even fucking read a few short simple sentences. Well done.
>>
>>79307425

Our homicide rate is the lowest it has ever been in 51 years and that gun homicides have dropped by 49% per capita while at the same time tens of millions of guns have been purchased by citizens so I don't think guns are a problem.

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/21/gun-homicides-steady-after-decline-in-90s-suicide-rate-edges-up/
>>
>>79310708
>Thinks one person dictated the entire constitution on his own

Thomas Jefferson didn't individually dictate the constitution. The constitution could be subtitled "compromise" as it was the result of much debate and compromise.

Now, I highly suggest reading the well-documented debate that gave us the 2nd amendment:

>>
>>79310846
>hurr I cant uderstand why someone would make a government and want to make sure that government didnt become tyrannical and oppressive, so they made revolution possible and protected
>>
>>79307425

Bill O'Reilly has always been a gun grabbing faggot. He's progressive as fuck.
>>
>>79307425
Originally the 2nd amendment included mortars
because pirates
>>
>>79310649
this anon is correct, but NOT because of the document he outlined

the 14th amendment basically retroactively applies the bill of rights to individual states. meaning: previously, the bill of rights was a lmitation solely of federal power, leaving states to regulate speech etc as they saw fit.

the 14th decided that the bill of rights applied as a limitation of state powers as well.

however, you'll notice in the famous legal case "general sherman just killed some 100k people in the south, half of whom were children under the age of 12. you'll notice the constitution doesn't matter anymore, because if you follow lawful protocol to peacefully secede, we will simply kill you and your wives and chldren."

that famous legal case determined that if you follow the law, but defy the wishes of the northeast coast elite, they will simply kill you. truly a remarkable court case.
>>
>>79307425
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Says nothing about banning mortars and bazookas.

Doesn't say the right of the people to keep and bear arms is contingent upon the state's need for a well regulated militia, but merely mentions that the state has a need for a well regulated militia.
>>
>>79310096

No, actually in the debate that ultimately gave us the 2nd amendment (which was a massive compromise between constitutional delegates), the reason most often given for arming militias was to call upon them to squash any rebellion of their new "we the people" government.

And not long after the Constitution was drafted, the first President used his powers to call upon the citizen militias to squash rebellion..

In 1794, armed Americans took up guns against what they viewed as a tyrannical George Washington administration imposing taxes on whiskey. President Washington called up 13,000 militia men, and personally led the troops to squash the rebellion of armed citizens in Bedford, Pennsylvania. No Army. No right to have guns to overthrow the oppressive US government.
>>
>>79308716
>Stating facts and appealing to reason
>on /pol/
You must be new here
>>
>>79309390
And what percentage of Latvia is actually literate?
>>
>>79307824
who wrote the amendment anyway? they were either world class trolls or massive retards.

as clear as the meaning is, it's so stupid to phrase it that way. "apple pie being yummy the right to buy fruit shall not be infringed." unnecessary, confusing and stupid to include a comment like that.

people should spit on the authors' graves.
>>
File: image_4.jpg (138 KB, 827x628) Image search: [Google]
image_4.jpg
138 KB, 827x628
>>79307425
Kys
>>
>>79310121
This is just the media and the government working to take away responsiblities that belong to the family and give more power to themselves.
>>
>>79311454

And yet that has absolutely no bearing on what the amendment actually says. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Literally 2nd grade reading level shit here.
>>
>>79311558

It's only difficult to understand to retards and progressive gun grabbing faggots trying to push their broken agenda.
>>
>>79307425

>Literally one dude.

Sage
>>
>>79307425
I want gun control.

The way I want it is as follows:
1. Require ROTC / Civilian military training
2. Require completion of highschool
3. IQ test score about 95.
4. Be on the draft list

Nigs will lose their 2nd Amendment as will women.
>>
>>79311025
I mentioned the founding fatherS and framerS of the constitution and used one example. You can't comprehend reading a comment on a Mongolian basket-weaving forum let alone the constitution
>>
>>79307425
the miltia is for national defense against invaders that seek to destroy our freedom

the right to keep and bear arms is to defend against criminals and the goverment if it ever wishes to destroy our way of life

The founding fathers know that the American goverment might one day no longer be working for the people and would have to be removed
>>
>>79307425
He's fucking retarded and always has been
>>
>>79310891
the homicide rate has only fallen because of improvements in medical technology. a gunshot used to be guaranteed fatal as recently as the 50's. currently, about 90% of gunshot victims survive despite increased lethality of arms. the gunshot wound rate has increased some 12 times, and the assault with a deadly arm rate a similar amount, whch are more reliable numbers. further, many guncrimes are attempted, but stopped by CC'ers before a victi is killed. this occurs at a rate of about 20x GREATER than the homicide rate itself (many of which WOULD be homicides without intervention)

in all reality, the attempted murder rate with a firearm has increased roughly some factor of 10y(20x) y being the realized rate, and x being the attempted rate, times. approximately about 200 times the (prevented) murder rate of the 1950s. more people simply survive these days, or are stopped by hypervigilant citizens.

just for reference, a reduction of the combined murder/attempted murder rate to 1/200th ofthe current level would make us as safe as japan. america USED to be as safe as japan.
>>
>>79311659

The sentence, is a conditional statement.

This is your right:

>...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

>A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,

Now read the well-documented debate that led to the drafting of the 2nd amendment for a better understanding of what they meant. It focuses almost entirely on the need for militias:

>>
>>79307425
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

It doesn't say the right of the militia to keep and bear arms
>>
nobody has a problem with automatic weapons being banned.

It's about time semi auto guns were banned/severely restricted.

MY idea is that if you need a semi auto hunting rifle for hunting purposes, like hog hunting, then you can sign one out for a short period, and then return it when you are done with it.
>>
File: 4.jpg (213 KB, 687x1024) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
213 KB, 687x1024
>>79307425
The "well-regulated" clause meant adequately equipped for the purpose of which it was intended, not oversight by governing body.

The intent of the 2nd Amendment was to provide protection for the people of the country, who give the government legitimacy through consent of the governed. Allowing the government to regulate (in the modern sense) the militia or the people's ability to own weapons, necessarily undermines the purpose of having the militia be a check against government power. If the government wanted to abuse its power, it would simply stop funding the militia, or regulate the militia into being useless.

You cannot have an overarching government body regulating the militia (either by declaring what stipulations the militia can operate under, or what weaponry they are allowed to own and use) without undermining the intent of the amendment. It's that simple.
>>
>>79312067

It's not a conditional you mongoloid.
>>
>>79307425
SHALL
>>
>>79312148

My idea is that we hang traitors that support disarming the populace.
>>
>>79311910
THIS is sensible gun control that would actually vastly change the landscape of gun violence. It would never happen though.
>>
File: guns are safe.png (152 KB, 1214x773) Image search: [Google]
guns are safe.png
152 KB, 1214x773
>>79307425
The term "Well Regulated" does NOT mean government oversight.

It means well equipped. As in the SAME weapons those in the military would have.

Now you know.
>>
>>79311454
if pony masturbators, tomorrow, massively take up arms against the US government, are we to take them for the armed militia in service to the "true" needs of the people, or are we to take them as an illegitimate rebellion?

I do't think you can answer that question in a comprehensive manner. neither can you rightly define whether the whiskey rebellion or the militia was the "true" militia.
>>
>>79307425
a militia has never been a government entity. it's always been a collection of citizens acting in the interest of their community
>>
>>79312148
>nobody has a problem with automatic weapons being banned.
Well, I do.
>>
>>79311973
>The founding fathers know that the American goverment might one day no longer be working for the people and would have to be removed

That's a popular narrative, but it doesn't exist anywhere in the well-documented discussion and debate that led to the drafting of the 2nd amendment:

In fact, not long after the Bill of Rights was ratified our first President used his Constitutional powers to call upon these citizen militias and order them to squash a citizen rebellion, the Whiskey Rebellion.

In 1794, armed Americans took up guns against what they viewed as a tyrannical George Washington administration imposing taxes on whiskey. President Washington called up 13,000 militia men, and personally led the troops to squash the rebellion of armed citizens in Bedford, Pennsylvania.
>>
>>79312251

Or just shoot them.
>>
>>79307425
Conservatives as we wish they were, no longer exist
>>
>>79312251
you think your pea shooters will protect you? It is our intelligence that protects us, not guns. With our intelligence we have created civil society.

Guns are murder machines, they're obsolete and dangerous.
>>
>>79312159
the problem is that such a militia has never really existed in history. liberals immediately seize upon this as a weakness. for them, might determines legality. the militia does not in fact, exist as an opposing force, so they will trample over us no matter what the paper says.

this is why there will be war.
>>
>>79312067
This declaration of rights, I take it, is intended to secure the

people against the mal-administration of the government; if we could suppose

that in all cases the rights of the people would be attended to, the

occasion for guards of this kind would be removed. Now, I am apprehensive,

sir, that this clause would give an opportunity to the people in power to

destroy the constitution itself. They can declare who are those religiously

scrupulous, and prevent them from bearing arms. What, sir, is the use of a

militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of

liberty. Now it must be evident, that under this provision, together with

their other powers, congress could take such measures ith respect to a

militia, as make a standing army necessary. Whenever government mean to

invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to

destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was

actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution.

They used every means in their power to prevent the establishement of an

effective militia to the eastward. The assembly of Massachusetts, seeing the

rapid progress that administration were making, to divest them of their

inherent privileges, endeavored to counteract them by the organization of

the militia, but they were always defeated by the influence of the crown.
>>
>>79307425

this has been discussed to death and not just on /pol/
>>
File: straightjacket2.jpg (12 KB, 236x316) Image search: [Google]
straightjacket2.jpg
12 KB, 236x316
>>79312657

It's time to go home.
>>
>>79312453
if pony masturbators, tomorrow, massively take up arms against white males in the service of the US government, who promises to grant them the land and titles of the slain, are we to take them for the armed militia in service to the "true" needs of the people, or are we to take them as an illegitimate rebellion?

I do't think you can answer that question in a comprehensive manner. neither can you rightly define whether the whiskey rebellion or the militia was the "true" militia.
>>
>>79309689
Nope. You're completely wrong. Examine the statement. Nothing in the second amendment says that "the well regulated militia" is the sole reason for the procurement of fire arms.

Examine the well balanced breakfast meme. Does anything in that statement suggest that ONLY the "well balanced breakfast" Is the food we can eat?
>>
File: 1450287730025.gif (44 KB, 827x628) Image search: [Google]
1450287730025.gif
44 KB, 827x628
oh look, the "well-regulated militia" meme again
>>
>>79312373

We wouldn't be having this conservation if you would just read the well-document debate that led to the drafting of the 2nd amendment:

In the case of the Whiskey Rebellion, the "true" militia was clearly the ones called on by Washington. The "well regulated militia" was the militias that obeyed Washington's command and protected their new "we the people" government, you see the founding fathers clearly viewed their new government as "of the people" and as long as it remained "of the people" it was justified.

There are a lot of popular new narratives and soundbites taken out of context, but we know what the founding fathers thought of their new government. There exists perhaps one (Thomas Jefferson) who shared your view, but in no way did individually represent the views of the entire Constitutional Convention. Our government was founded on compromise, not the ideas and dictatorship of one man.
>>
>>79309327

they want people ignorant on the issue so they will be scared of guns and willing to ban them.
>>
File: 1467012364133.jpg (50 KB, 433x469) Image search: [Google]
1467012364133.jpg
50 KB, 433x469
>>79307824
>tfw Founders fucked us over by forgetting to put an "and"
>>
File: int.jpg (19 KB, 165x306) Image search: [Google]
int.jpg
19 KB, 165x306
>>79312657
>>
>>79312925
he's an idiot who was educated to perform verbal sleight of hand tricks to impress crowds of idiots, to get a grade A stamp from an idiot ringleader

the fact of the matter is that speaking to an idiot no more creates the capacity for intelligence wtihin his flawed brain than talking to a motor makes the car run faster.

this is precisely why hoppe is quoted as needing to explicitly repress stupidity with violence. otherwise these idiots will appeal to a crowd of idiots, and they will champion their collective flaws as genius
>>
>>79313089

And no matter how many times you post it, it still has no bearing on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

We really need to bring back literacy tests for voting.
>>
File: 08.jpg (308 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
308 KB, 800x1200
>>79307425
The term "militia" is also clearly defined in US Code, under Title 10:
>(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
>(b) The classes of the militia are—
>(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
>(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

The Nationa; Guard no longer counts as militia for the purposes of the 2nd Amendment check against government power following the 1903 reorganizations that aligned them with federal military statutes where they can be seconded to federal duty and rolled into federal military hierarchy. Many states possess "state guard" organizations which are de jure state militias that provide internal services and can never be called to federal duty.
>>
File: 1466966922106.jpg (7 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1466966922106.jpg
7 KB, 240x232
Even a broke clock is right twice a day.
Even a blind hen sometimes finds a grain of corn.
>>
File: 1429986110948.jpg (35 KB, 640x495) Image search: [Google]
1429986110948.jpg
35 KB, 640x495
>>79312657
>>
>>79307824
Add the Word "because" to the beginning Of the entire Sentence and the whole thing makes Perfect Sense.
>>
File: 2013-Special-Night-Time-Service.jpg (150 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
2013-Special-Night-Time-Service.jpg
150 KB, 1000x750
>>79313089
It's as if you willingly ignore all the legal precedents and Supreme Court decisions in order to make your faulty point.
>>
>>79313089
my view? wht is my view?

MY view is that YOUR view is not comprehensive. YOU simply support the side that won with a show of force, and you hide this behind weak documentation and flimsy arguments about precedent.

jefferson was also a president, but that's not a legal or forceful precedent to you. because you simply worship the status quo.

YOU think that any army with state sponsorship is magically a militia. YOU think that legitimacy comes from the state, no matter what that militia happens to do.

Other people think differently, but you're not actually addressing either argument: what is "by the people for the people?" a rebellion is by the people for the people, right or wrong, that's what it is. is state sponsorship by the people for the people? hm....
>>
>>79307425
When ignorant people try to talk about the Constitution, they only reveal how their real goal is not guns themselves but altering our entire conception of rights to facilitate tyranny.
>>
>>79310454
>Maybe you're a bit autistic. I never in this thread made an implication that you said anything regarding who could own what. Read my post.

>this is what I asked:

>How can a militia be formed if the people are not afforded the ability to arm themselves?

>This is the reason we have that right.

>It is a conditional statement, the necessity of a well regulated militia is dependent on the right to bear arms. But this also makes clear the purpose of that right.

No shit Sherlock.
>>
File: 2011Erin_SawGunner.jpg (369 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
2011Erin_SawGunner.jpg
369 KB, 800x1067
>>79312657
>Guns are murder machines, they're obsolete and dangerous.
No more so than the vaginas of women who support abortion.
>>
>>79312925
>Examine the statement.

Yes, it's a conditional statement. There is a right, and there is a premise for that right.

The breakfast meme is a horrible analogy, why don't you take the time to fucking read what the founding fathers debated and compromised on to draft the 2nd amendment.

The debate focuses entirely on the need for a militia. Some constitutional delegates did not want any right to bear arms, some only wanted it to be given to military personnel, some only wanted it to persons with formal training. In the end, the 2nd amendment was a compromise between many different positions and an agreement on the need for "well regulated militia" to protect the free state. This is why the fucking amendment starts by mentioned the militia first.

Read the fucking debate for yourself, it is well documented:

>>
File: NO.gif (495 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
NO.gif
495 KB, 250x186
>>79313280
>BobsTgirls
>>
>>79313578
Yeah, it's called lying. Liberals do it a lot. Something about the greater good and them knowing what's best for us peasants. Sprinkle in a bit of virtue signalling.
>>
>>79313757
>There is a right, and there is a premise for that right.

you got that backwards. The premise is first.

dafuk?
>>
>>79313757
>"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
>>
>>79307425
>Now
They never have
They do what gets them votes
>>
>>79308716
we've been over this, the constitution is interpreted based on what's actually on the paper, not the FF's intent.
>>
>>79312453
>That's a popular narrative, but it doesn't exist anywhere in the well-documented discussion and debate that led to the drafting of the 2nd amendment:
>>79312713
>>
George Mason authored the 2nd Amendment and basically said the militia is comprised of the people except for public officials.
>>
>>79312373
>Not joining the horsefucker rebellion.
You'll be hung along side the liberals you nigger.
>>
>>79313089
OP is a god damn fucking moron. Everyone on this thread has explained to you in so many ways (linguistically, historically, legally, ethically, etc.) why the second amendment grants the people the right to bear arms. You keep talking about compromise and linking to a website, but the constitution was written as an independent document. They specifically dragged on and on about each word and punctuation so that the intents were clear. They did not write it down and think "well, if they don't get it, they can just read about all of our debates in order to understand." Why is the second amendment the only one ever questioned? No one says we have to look at history in order to defend freedom of speech or the right against illegal searches and seizures. Just shut up and go suck a dick already OP.
>>
>>79313757
>"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, "Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State"
>>
File: 1467112335331.jpg (43 KB, 406x668) Image search: [Google]
1467112335331.jpg
43 KB, 406x668
>>79307425

Here, OP.
>>
>>79313578

I'm relying on what the Founder Fathers themselves discussed, debated and agreed upon in the Constitution Convention in which the 2nd Amendment was drafted.

The debate focused entirely on the need for a "well regulated militia" to protect the free state. This is why the 2nd Amendment starts by referring to this need.

Why don't you fucking read it for yourself:

>>
>>79313757
From your link:
>"..Now, I am apprehensive, sir, that this clause would give an opportunity to the people in power to
destroy the constitution itself. They can declare who are those religiously scrupulous, and prevent them from bearing arms."

Suck a dick.
Even the founding fathers were doing their best to prevent the government from removing the future rights of gun ownership.
>>
File: tumblr_niuhgglSqB1u50byqo1_1280.jpg (150 KB, 567x850) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_niuhgglSqB1u50byqo1_1280.jpg
150 KB, 567x850
>>79313812
To be fair there aren't that many good tgirls with guns pics online.
>>
>>79314305
you're either willfully ignorant, or an idiot

what was specifically STRUCK DOWN during the negotiations you keep posting was the requirement that the militia be centrally organized, or be organized in such a fashion as to be permanently standing, to be exploited by political arrangements threatening peace for the interests of profit.

the wording as is was decided to avoid situations of manipulation. arms, in the hands of citizens, allows them to self organize without being beholden to specific, arcane, legal arrangements exploited by politicians. the best way to do this was to allow individuals to decide for themselves to bear arms or not, for a militia or their own choice.
>>
>>79313757
The entire purpose of the Bill of Rights is to secure unalienable rights for posterity. NONE of them are given to the people by the government but ALL of them are written in carefully chosen language that presupposes their existence.

Which is to say in very plain words: "We are not giving you these rights. This rights exist before the signing and ratification of this document and the purpose of this document is to prevent any infringement of the rights included within"

Now I ask, if that is true, then under what rationale would the limitation of the second amendment to only government-run militia purposes be sound
>>
>>79314273

It's called Original Intent. It's how constitutional law is often interpreted, and is the method often used by conservative justices.

Yes, the Constitution, including the 2nd Amendment was a compromise. Do you know anything about the Constitutional Convention?

Each amendment was the result of discussion and debate. We know exactly who held which positions because the debate is well-documented:

The "Founding Fathers" was not a singular person with one idea you fucking idiot. It was many people with many different ideas who debated and compromised to reach an agreement.

You would have to have a very childlike view of government and politics in general to think that the Founding Fathers did not have different views which they debated and compromised on.
>>
>>79307425
O'Reily has always been a retard and, with this, still is.

Do you know what a regular army is? It is an army that is kept equipped and ready to fight. A militia is a fighting force that is self armed, as in they bring their own weapons to use. So a well regulated militia is a well armed group of citizens that outfit themselves.

In the most strict interpretation, the second amendment ensures that the citizens can own and use modern weapons of war so that they can form a fighting force that supplies it's own weapons.
>>
>>79314305
>"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot
>>
>>79307425
Do you know what a militia is? Its the armed citizenry who own weapons personally who can be called upon in times of trouble to supplement whatever forces are needed. People like calling this or that group a militia in honor of the second amendment, but that's not the whole of what a militia is. If you keep citizens from owning their own weapons you have prevented the militia from existing, so even by this tenuous logic (That its only for a militia, its not) it doesn't internally work.
>>
>>79307425
Bill O called for a ban on AR-15s last week.

Just another pompous neocon stooge.
>>
>>79307425
The word regulation has no connotations of government oversight.
>>
>>79307425
>>"a well regulated militia"

Doesn't mean what you think it does. Or, you're shitposting.

Those are the two options.
>>
>>79312041

No. Violent crime as a whole decreased dramatically, even with the increase in firearms. Guns are not a problem.

>Today, the national crime rate is about half of what it was at its height in 1991. Violent crime has fallen by 51 percent since 1991, and property crime by 43 percent. In 2013 the violent crime rate was the lowest since 1970. And this holds true for unreported crimes as well. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, since 1993 the rate of violent crime has declined from 79.8 to 23.2 victimizations per 1,000 people.

http://www.brennancenter.org/blog/americas-faulty-perception-crime-rates
>>
>T-there was a debate when it was written!!

Historical revisionism in full effect.

"Their swords and every terrible implement of the soldier are the birthright of Americans."
- Tench Coxe, 1788

"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments but where, I trust in God, it will always remain, in the hands of the people."
- Tench Coxe, 1788

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
- George Mason, 1788
>>
>>79314940
Well Regulated means Updated, Fully Functional, and Instantly available.
>>
File: IMG_8751.jpg (104 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8751.jpg
104 KB, 800x1200
>>79314874
>"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
>>
>>79314723
>"..This will lead to the violation of another article in the constitution, which secures to the people the right of keeping arms,"
Notice he says PEOPLE, not militia have the right.
>>
>>79314812
correct. and I agree with you. but what you're ignoring is that the reality of the situation is that whigs have been ignoring this since basically the civil war.

they treat federal power as an attempt to ENFORCE the bill of rights, rather than federal power being limited by the bill of rights. a subtle difference, but it makes a HUGE difference.

somene has free speech. does the federal government use its power to PROTECT him, or does it simply ignore him and all squabbles pertaining thereto? the former leads to a dangerous expansion of police power. the latter leads to... nothing at all.

when the government EXPANDS it power to "protect" the second amendment, it leads to background checks for weapons, and a central regulation of the militia, say, california being overrun by mexicans who commit gun crimes in the street. when the government realizes it can do NOTHING about arms ownership, you end up with safe states like north dakota.

subtle difference. huge consequences.
>>
>>79314790

What was "struck down"? The "well regulated militia" which was written into the 2nd amendment?
>>
>>79308542

YOU CAN'T SAY GUN NUT, THAT'S OUR WORD.

Seriously though, I self describe as a gun nut, because guns and shooting are my primary hobby. I shoot local competitions, take classes, own a bunch of them, etc.

The term gun nut doesn't bother me, but more about the context of how it's used.

For example:

>me and a couple other gun nuts are taking the 4 day rifle class this week.

versus

>these fucking gun nuts and their huge penises keep strectching out me lady kangaroos pouch, govna', mate, barbie, I'm a an oz cunt, etc.

See?
>>
>>79314305

why don't you stop spamming your own thread and actually reply with your own arguments based on your own logic you silly fuck
>>
>>79315175
Which again, doesn't not imply the government has to be involved.

>Americans trying to language
>>
>>79307425

regulated by the states not the fed
>>
>>79314913
no anon, a militia is an army regulated by the state for the needs of the people.... kind of like a standing army... which is also organized centrally... for the needs of the people...

newspeak is in, my friend. they've already stolen our language from us.

honestly, we need to enact language reforms. maybe we should start using chinese characters to write. the chinese managed this problem by using chinese characters, which more or less prevents literacy and the ability to think for anyone of an iq threshold below 110. that's how they manage to avoid massive shitshows from polluting conversations about family and morality.
>>
>>79313757
>why don't you take the time to fucking read what the founding fathers debated and compromised on to draft the 2nd amendment.

Because I've read it all already. Years ago and under the supervision of a linguistics prof.

You're very selective and pig headed.

You said it yourself that they were very meticulous in the wording of the amendment.
One more time: What in the wording of the Second Amendment states that the militia is the SOLE reason for enshrining the right?
>>
>>79307425
>2nd amendment made to ensure citizens could stop a tyrannical government
>liberals somehow believe the government should be in control of this "'militia"
>>
>>79315347
because he's a shill
>>
>>79315233
>"..their will be no Dispute Between people and rulers in that may be secured the right to keep and bear arms for Common and Extraordinary Occations such as to secure ourselves against the wild Beast and also to amuse us by fowling and for our Defence against a Common Enemy"
>>
>>79315411
Not at all.

Regulated does not mean under state (or federal) control. It means prepared and ready to use.
>>
>>79314874
What are you not understanding? The constitution was a stand-alone document. They didn't write the second amendment down and then put an asterisk next to it stating "make sure to read our debates in order to fully understand." They chose those exact words and that's it. It doesn't matter what was debated or for how long. All that matters is what was written down. That is the law. When a two people compromise, we don't acknowledge both of their statements. We acknowledge the compromise. If you link that website one more god damn time, I'm just going to assume you're trolling.
>>
>>79315574
What is the point of the state regulating our only defenses from the state?

sounds kinda cuck tbhq
>>
File: 13280919103_962cf1606b_z.jpg (73 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
13280919103_962cf1606b_z.jpg
73 KB, 640x640
>>79315319
>YOU CAN'T SAY GUN NUT, THAT'S OUR WORD.
It's okay, he said is with an "a" nor an "r".
>>
>>79307425
> I am by no means anti-gun. However,

You're an enemy of freedom and will be afforded no sanctuary when the day comes.

The first clause is context; it does not say, nor imply that a militia necessitates the right to bear arms.
>>
>>79315684
he already got btfo by >>79312713
and conveniently skipped over it.
>>
its pretty funny how much americans love their various amendments, as if they were written by god

fucking pathetic
>>
>>79315713
He's being sarcastic about the definition, I think.
>>
>>79308716

This is the original draft:

The 3d clause of the 4th proposition in the report was taken into consideration, being as follows; "A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state; the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but no person, religiously scrupulous, shall be compelled to bear arms.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

>the only thing really in dispute was the part - "but no person, religiously scrupulous, shall be compelled to bear arms."

>One of the arguments against:

I wish that in establishing this government we may be careful to let every person know that we will not interfere with any person's particular religious profession. If we strike out this clause, we shall lead such persons to conclude that we mean to compel them to bear arms.
>>
File: yh.jpg (89 KB, 1608x905) Image search: [Google]
yh.jpg
89 KB, 1608x905
>>79315844
It's so we don't end up like you
>>
>>79315574
You are incorrect, and possibly addled.
>>
its pretty funny how much swedes love their big black cocks, as if they were made by god

fucking pathetic
>>
>>79315080
wrong. violent crime has
1. been reclassified as "mental illness" remember that an insanity ruling is an innocent verdict, and not included in public legers
2. murder is only murder if the victim dies. if he survives it is reclassified as attempted murder, or even "assault" because of plea bargaining
3. murder charges are often downgraded to "nonviolent drug charges" out of practicality and weight of evidence

if you compare total victimization rates from sources compiled by foreign governments, our violent crime rate has risen some 200x. not percent, TIMES.

oh, also, this is DESPITE having thrown some 20% of all niggers in prison. any time to release niggers from prison or mental institutions, there's a doubling or triplng of crime.

violent crime is almost entirely genetically expressed. mexicans in america have the same murder rate as mexicans in mexico. africans have the same murder rate as africans in africa. asians, same as asia.

you do NOT have falling rates of violent crime when half of this country is nonwhite.
>>
>>79314305

Which is still irrelevant to the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

You're being intentionally obtuse at this point.
>>
>>79311624

>implying the founding fathers were learned english majors
>>
>>79315313
are you illiterate. the proposed passages, written out to be voted on, which contained any HINT of central organization or a militia or arms, were ALL rejected with extreme prejudice.

are you fucking illiterate
>>
>>79307425
i never liked that asshole. Proof they are just propagandists for the social engineering.
>>
>>79315844
not like sweden with their laws dictated by a pedophile, illiterate, rapist, war mongering, camel piss drinking, goat fucker.
>>
>>79316012
>2. murder is only murder if the victim dies. if he survives it is reclassified as attempted murder, or even "assault" because of plea bargaining
A-are you stupid, anon? Murder by definition is only murder if the person died. It have never included attempted-murder.
>>
>>79315307
>they treat federal power as an attempt to ENFORCE the bill of rights, rather than federal power being limited by the bill of rights

This is complete bullshit. You're stating this as if it is fact but the truth is that there was GREAT disagreement on this premise. It's why the Federalist and Anti-federalist papers exist.

It is extraordinarily hilarious that you posit that the men who had fought an invasive tyrannical government for the sake of individual liberty would turn and create a massive government bureaucracy in the hopes that it would defend their rights. Literally hilarious.
>>
O'Reilly is a Yankee liberal that has masqueraded as a Conservative over the years to further his career and bottom line.

He's always been pro-gun control and a fan of many government programs and leftist policies.
>>
>>79315713
>>79315978

I was being sarcastic as the other anon mentioned. I was tryin to point out how our opposition is CHANGING the definition of militia, which is of central importance to this discussion.

if you can change the word militia to mean what you arbitrarily want it to be in the minds of listeners, you WIN.
>>
>>79316012

Watching you faggots try to lie about shit in an era where a child can debunk you with a smart phone is pretty fucking hilarious.
>>
>>79309689
>I think there is some confusion here

on your part, there certainly is
>>
>>79307824
You fucked up

That's not a comma, that's a semicolon
Which indicates not that the second part is a continuation of the first part, but rather that the second part and the first part are analogous.

What it's saying is: A well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
>>
>>79307425
Bill O'Reilly is a typical degenerate paddy mick.
>>
>>79315968
end up like what? a country without mass shootings?

oh no
>>79316229
i dont know what that means
>>
>>79315307
Cont.

In-fact, the only entity that govt entity that operates in the manor you're suggest would be the supreme court and the power of judicial review was established WELL after the signing of the constitution.
>>
>>79316451
Sorry ackmed I cant translate it into arabic for you
>>
>>79316244
holy fucking shit anon-kun, you're such a fag

every stabbing and gunshot wound used to be fatal.

the decline in homicide rates is due squarely to hospital improvements and ambulance response times

the decline in violent crime is due to the reclassification of violent crime into the categories of mental illness and drug crime because of peculiarities in prosecution.

fucking learn to read.
>>
>>79316588
make it chinese then
>>
>>79316451
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

You're implying that people wont just get illegal guns. Please tell me how gun control would have worked in miami during the 80s
>>
>>79315844
At least we have principles Swedecuck. Your flag is an eyesore.
>>
>>79316451
>end up like what? a country without mass shootings?
Maybe you should read some Thomas Malthus. You stopped the natural development of your culture through external threat, and ended up being taken over by invaders. Mass shootings are just culling the weak, and Malthusian population controls.
>>
>>79316693
why did you let them overrun your country too?
>>
>>79316252
u wot m8.

this is in fact what happened. the whigs won with the 14th amendment, which first, applied the bill of rights to the states (which it initially was only applied to the federal government) and THEN tasked the FEDERAL government with enforcing the bill of rights onto the states.

it took a LONG time, but that's exactly what happened.

so we IN FACT, went from the situation where the government could NOT interfere in maters of free speech, to NOW, ERIC HOLDER goes around suing schools for "repressing niggers' speech" by only admitting people into schools who can read.

this is DEFACTO what happened. leave your fucking motivational arguments at home you idiot. it happened. kennedy bussed in niggers at gunpoint. affirmative action is defended at gunpoint. this is the government ENFORCING the bill of rights via a central apparatus instead of being limited by it

fucking, how old are you?
>>
>>79312159
Is that a benis?
>>
>>79316740
Gun control doesn't work in a decade. It will take 50 years at least to rid America of guns.
>>79316758
your principle is retarded.
>>79316800
how is history 101? you know about ww2 yet?
>>79316841
i just wanted to make it easy for you. not many chinese here. lots of thais though.
>>
>>79314723

Context is everything here, keep reading from where you left off:

You quoted Elbridge Gerry, as he was arguing to remove the words: "But no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms" from the 2nd amendment. You see discussion back and forth about the meaning of religious freedom and duty to protect the free state and they actually struck down Gerry's motion after his argument was made.

Gerry actually then goes on to say this and suggest adding more regulation to the 2nd amendment:

>It ought to read "a well regulated militia, trained to arms," in which case it would become the duty of the government to provide this security, and furnish a greater certainty of its being done.
>>
>"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Basically it states that a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state. In order to have said militia, the people have the right to bear arms. In a militia, you usually have to bring your own weapon.
>>
>>79316012
Give me some sources then and back up your claims. I've looked hard but can't find any information that states crime has not dropped dramatically since the 90s. Please prove me wrong.

I specifically want a source showing a 200x increase in violent crime rate, as you have stated..
>>
File: farage-pint_3153822b.jpg (269 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
farage-pint_3153822b.jpg
269 KB, 620x387
>>79307425
>Conservatives
>2nd Amendment - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
>"...shall not be infringed."
>disregarding the U.S. constitution
>Conservative

Anon, I have news for you. You can call yourself a Honeycrisp Apple is you wish. Doing so does not make you a Honeycrisp Apple. Calling yourself a conservative does not make you a conservative. If you disregard the constitution, you are not a conservative. There is no "sort of a conservative". You either are or you are not. Not only does a conservative abide by the letter of the constitution, a conservative is well studied on the original debates that led to the formation and text of the constitution. There is no conservative who hasn't read the Federalist Papers. And there is no conservative who is in favor of gun control.
>>
File: laughingbuddha.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
laughingbuddha.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>79317061

There are more than half a billion unregistered guns in the US. You will never rid America of guns.
>>
>>79316424

What the absolute fuck are you talking about?

You must be trolling at this point.

The official text has a comma, not a semicolon.

You're just completely making up shit in your fantasy factory of a thick skull.
>>
>>79316604
>the decline in violent crime is due to the reclassification of violent crime into the categories of mental illness and drug crime because of peculiarities in prosecution.
>fucking learn to read.
Still waiting on that peer-reviewed source with all those academic studies you cited.
>>
>>79307425
As has been said a million times before whether republican or democrat they are all statists. in the end.
>>
>>79315932

If they are not compelled to bear arms, and just the right to bear arms, wouldn't the person just voluntarily take up arms?
>>
>>79317061
it won't work ever. there are currently 60 million gun owners in america, with a grand total of some 600 million guns. assuming only 1% are willing to actually fight to kep them, that's still a militia of 600k guns, spread over an area the size of 30 iraqs.

our entire army could not fight against 60k insurgents in a single iraq

republicans KNOW that democrats commit 90% of violent crimes. wen a democrat asks them to give up their guns, for the safety of democrats, a republican KNOWS what is going to happen. give me your gun so I can murder you.

kek. it's not gonna happen until every white male is d ead.
>>
>>79316922
>leave your fucking motivational arguments at home you idiot

Right back at you dipshit. Not a single word you've just posted was in defense of what you claimed earlier.

No, the founding fathers did not all agree that the bill of rights was to be enforced by the federal govt. It was a do not touch list. PERIOD.
>>
>>79316176

You seem to be very fucking confused, the 2nd amendment says this (Protip: this IS the 2nd Amendment):

>"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>"well regulated militia"

This is the actual 2nd Amendment, not a proposal.
>>
>>79317435
>>79317721
THIS. Whitey won't die out for at least another 50 years so true gun control is over 100 years off.
>>
Bill is secret commie
No surprise
>>
>>79317721
>there are currently 60 million gun owners in america, with a grand total of some 600 million guns. assuming only 1% are willing to actually fight to kep them, that's still a militia of 600k guns

And that's the well regulated militia the founding fathers meant
>>
>>79317515
>peer review
you sound like one of those sheboons who spits out "I's gots muh sources!" you all fucking run to it, like a fucking voodoo charm. even the niggers are starting to shout this, when they clearly don't have sources.

the academic establishment lies to us about the equaity of the races or the health of the economy, AND lies about the muslim rape crisis, but you expect them to tell you the truth about this particular thing? fuck off.

if you could read chinese, japanese, or korean, they've studied the matter in depth and it's well known. google search in one of them, if you can
>>
>>79318087
Even if it does mean "regulated" as in over sight, who has the right to regulate?
>>
>>79307425
Well-regulated in 18th century parlance means well-equipped.

O'Reilly knows this.
>>
>>79315932

What the fuck are you talking about, this was not the only issue in dispute. It was one of many.

One of the proposals:

>It ought to read "a well regulated militia, trained to arms," in which case it would become the duty of the government to provide this security, and furnish a greater certainty of its being done.

You're just completely making up your own narrative, read the fucking discussion to see what was debated before deciding to make up your own bullshit narrative.
>>
File: hillary for prison 2016.jpg (164 KB, 713x968) Image search: [Google]
hillary for prison 2016.jpg
164 KB, 713x968
>this pathetic little creature
>a shill
>is actually putting in more effort than the actual shill
>and is probably still doing it for free
>>
>>79318504

>makes claim
>can't support it
>wonders why his movement has been failing for decades

Gun grabbers in a nutshell.
>>
>>79318504
Is this the /pol/ version of the navy seal copypasta?
>>
>>79316147

If it's irrelevant then why did they write it in the same sentence as a conditional statement? The right does not appear elsewhere, it is only in this conditional statement which starts with the need for militia.
>>
>>79318715
I'm not a gun grabber, you fucking idiot

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124155/
Medical advances mask epidemic of violence by cutting murder rate
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324712504578131360684277812
In Medical Triumph, Homicides Fall Despite Soaring Gun Violence

5 fucking SECNDS in google. if you have an IDEA, you ca GOOGLE it and get results, you fucking retard

I support the second amendment unconditionally.

BUT, niggers are shooting MORE people, EVERY FUCKING YEAR. medical improvements make these NOT murders, and legal changes make half of these "drug related offenses" because of changes in prosecution.

FUCK OFF.

"much sources" is nigger speak. there ARE sources, you can google them.
>>
>>79319064

>District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), was a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held in a 5-4 decision that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution applies to federal enclaves and protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. The decision did not address the question of whether the Second Amendment extends beyond federal enclaves to the states,[1] which was addressed later by McDonald v. Chicago (2010). It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.

>McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), is a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that determined whether the Second Amendment applies to the individual states. The Court held that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms" protected by the Second Amendment is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and applies to the states. The decision cleared up the uncertainty left in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller as to the scope of gun rights in regard to the states.

"Muh militia"
>>
>>79309779

Of course a leaf would post this. Is your country still burning? I gave up caring after the first month.
>>
>>79312148
I do.
>>
>>79319135
>"much sources" is nigger speak. there ARE sources, you can google them.
In academic research, it is not only common but required to present sources backing up assertions in order to complete a fully formed argument. One cannot simply claim "they're out there, I swearz" and expect to be taken seriously. If you make an extraordinary claim, you must back it up.
>>
>>79318087
>very fucking confused

indeed you are
>>
>>79319064
Does it out right say you need to be in a militia to own a gun?
>>
>>79307425
"A well regulated militia" essentially means "a well armed populace that can be converted into a militia at a moments notice". At least according to me.

Read Heller. If you haven't read the Heller decision, then you are probably trolling. On the off chance you aren't trolling, here is a link:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-290.ZS.html
That is how the 2nd Amendment is interpreted.
>>
>>79307425
Traitor.
>>
>>79310454
The whole point of it is that every citizen is part of the militia, every citizen can own arms. Just by being an american citizen you are part of the militia.
>>
>>79315844
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>79319795

The Supreme Court ruled that all able-bodied adult males comprised a militia.

Later, that definition was expanded to all adult citizens.
>>
>>79309779
>it becomes obvious that the second Amendment of the United States Constitution is NOT meant for overthrowing the American government at all. It's so that people can fucking defend the government.
"Consent of the governed" was the principle foundation upon which the government was built. The government is only legitimate as long as the people provide their consent to be governed by said government. If and when the time arose that the government lost legitimacy by people withdrawing their consent to be governed, the people themselves would need means to cast off the government. Additionally, the power creep of government was intended to be kept in check by the fact that the people had access to arms, to prevent such overreach.

I thought Canada had a decent educational system?
>>
>>79313620
>jefferson was also a president, but that's not a legal or forceful precedent to you. because you simply worship the status quo.

No, his individual views aren't a precedent on their own because that is not how democracy works, that is not how our country was founded and that is not how our Constitution was framed. It sounds like you would rather assume a dictatorship or Cult of Jefferson.

>a rebellion is by the people for the people

Correction, a rebellion is by the people. In the case of the Whiskey Rebellion it was not "for the people", it was a rebellion for a minority of the people. The people had already voiced what they wanted by electing government officials who squashed the rebellion.

>is state sponsorship by the people for the people?

It can be if "the people" elected state representatives of their choice to protect and represent their will. In this case, the will "of the people" was to protect their new free state from a group of angry rebels in Western Pennsylvania.
>>
>>79320099
I agree with you, but that kind of crumbled during the civil war

basically, new york determines what the consent of the people is, then seeks to kill anyone in opposition

new york decided the south couldn't consent to its own governance, and then killed all of them and removed the police force and courts they consented to.

now new york decided that you can't consent to wave a particular flag. they also decided that the consent of the people is to open up bathrooms to trannies. they also ecided that people consented to grant affirmative action to ngigers.

oh by the way, if you disagree, you get to be killed by the fbi. the people consented to it.
>>
>>79308716
>>79307425

the 2nd amendment is a red herring.

the fact is you dont need it for the right to bear arms.

the bill of rights is a safety. the real question is - what right does the government have to regulate arms. the government only has powers given to it.

the constitution gives no powers to regulate arms. in fact, to get gun laws they have the shoehorn the commerce clause.

thats right, all federal gun laws are based on the commerce clause.

before you even get to the question of the 2nd amendment, the first question is : what right does the governmetn have to regulate arms.

the asnwer is little if not any
>>
>>79313089
>http://www.constitution.org/mil/militia_debate_1789.txt
But that debate merely says what we already know. That the people are allowed to keep and bear arms because having a well armed populace is conducive to being able to raise a well regulated militia when needed.
>>
>>79319974
>>79320056
I still don't believe gun ownership is pertinent on being in a well regulated militia. Only that a well regulated militia is pertinent to a free state.
>>
>>79318504
Oh...

You're one of those people.

The same liberal academia that wants gun control banned would make up statistics showing violent crime going down while gun ownership is increasing.

You yourself said:
>
if you compare total victimization rates from SOURCES compiled by foreign governments, our violent crime rate has risen some 200x. not percent, TIMES.

I've spent my own time to find these sources that you claim to exist and I cannot so please provide them. You have a genuine chance to change my view on the subject.

I can't form an argument around some guy's ramblings on /pol/
>>
>>79307425
>Bill O'Reilly and Fox News say gun control is needed
>Boy, suddenly gun control doesnt seems so bad!

Kill yourself, fucking sheep. Typical retard who just parrots everything the media says and cant think for himself. I bet you live in Texas too, you guys are soft Conservatives, borderline Democrats as far as Im concerned.
>>
>>79320614

"What, sir, is the use of a militia It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty"

OP and left twist what is meant by militia and the basis of why the 2nd amendment was made
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.