[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that high fructose corn syrup should be banned?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: hfcs.gif (90 KB, 800x419) Image search: [Google]
hfcs.gif
90 KB, 800x419
Can we all agree that high fructose corn syrup should be banned? Even my ketchup has corn syrup unless I buy organic.
>>
>>79301107
HFCS is absolute garbage and horrible for you but I don't think it should be banned.
>>
>>79301267
How do we raise awareness about it? That shit is everywhere in non-organic super markets.
>>
Should the government ban whole milk too, because you don't like it?

Don't buy products you deem unworthy you mong. Looking to the government to solve all problems is why we have a welfare state in the first place
>>
>>79301813
At the very least end subsidies for Iowa corn farmers.
>>
>>79301107
I hear it metabolizes to the same final product as sugar, but maybe it takes more HFCS to get the same effect as sugar?

Could someone explain how HFCS is more damaging than sugar?
>>
The obesity epidemic and the rise in the use of high fructose corn syrup go hand in hand. Plot them on an historical graph and they're practically fucking.
>>
>>79302947
Because the government gives billions of dollars to corn farmers in the form of subsidies.

Now, they have all of this fucking corn. No one eats that much corn.

So they turn it into HFCS. But we don't even need that much of that.

So they just put HFCS in EVERYTHING. It is present in almost all processed foods, from Chef Boyardee, to fruit, to yogurt....everything. Products that don't need any sweetener at all get a dose just to spread it around.
>>
>>79304159
So what's wrong with HFCS beyond there being too much of it in foods?
>>
>>79304159
So it's not that HFCS is that much worse for you than sugar so much as everyone eating too much of it from agricultural policy?
>>
>>79304537
>>79304537
Well, I have heard that they are basically the same.

But I have also heard that HFCS can spike your appetite.

I wouldn't really be surprised if they were suppressing information on all of this, honestly.

And either way, it being present in all of those foods IS a serious issue.

So yeah, this is a policy thing. I quit eating HFCS as soon as I found out about this, many years ago.

And I could be wrong, 100% wrong, but I could have sworn that I have checked the label on a product that had both a sugar and HCFS alternative, and the HFCS had more carbs.
>>
>>79303306
RARE LEAF
>>
It's of limited use, the whole point is to subsidize the corn industry, so it gets huge support out of Iowa and Illinois. Just like ethanol from corn (takes more than a gallon of gas to make a gallon of ethanol derived from corn). It has a shit aftertaste. The only reason companies like it is
1) It's more stable in premade products than sugar
2) Thanks to the subsidies it's cheaper.

I don't think you could ban it, but ending the corn subsidies would go a long way towards rendering it irrelevant.
>>
>>79305324
>But I have also heard that HFCS can spike your appetite.
Yes and no. Basically compared to table sugar (which has both fructose and glucose) our brain gets the signal to be low, whereas when we have higher levels of just fructose, it takes longer for our brain to get that signal that we're full, so you eat more.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/how-corn-syrup-might-be-making-us-hungry-and-fat/
>>
>sometimes drink straight HFCS
jesus christ I dont know what's wrong with me, it just tastes so good.
>>
>>79301107

Reminder they now label it as ISOLATED FRUCTOSE.

Read, and more importantly, understand your labels guys.
>>
>>79302407
Absolutely this
>>
>>79304302

It damages the liver and it spikes your insulin levels far higher than regularsugar iirc
>>
>>79305324
I hear people speak fondly of Mexican Coca-Cola because it uses sugar.

>80% of economists want to abolish agricultural subsidies
>we keep doing it

I know /pol/ doesn't like economists that much because trade/immigration, but clearly shit is up.

>>79305674
That makes some sense, it's like the extreme problem paleo advocates say carbs have, namely that you don't feel as full as when you get fat and protein.
>>
>>79306869
I don't put much stock in the paleo shit, but Mexican coca cola is delicious, lighter taste, less "syrupy" and aftertaste.

They make it a few weeks per year for Passover, corn isn't passover for jews so for 4-6 weeks before passover they send Coke made with real sugar to grocery stores in predominantly jewish areas. They have yellow caps vs the standard red ones.
>>
Chicken and vegetables has also been linked to obesity.
>>
>>79306869
Yes, and it comes in a glass bottle. IDGAF what anyone says, shit tastes better in glass than in plastic.

They also have throwback pepsi and Mountain Dew with sugar, but they don't seem to be as good as mexican coke, so IDK.
>>
File: koshergmo.png (223 KB, 492x911) Image search: [Google]
koshergmo.png
223 KB, 492x911
>>79301107
>Can we all agree that high fructose corn syrup should be banned?
No, how would depopulation work then? Let the retards eat the GMO shit and get sterile. More room for the rest of us.

>Pro tip
Eat what the jews eat
>>
We need to end the trade restrictions on sugar (thanks Reagan).
other countries can grow sugar more efficiently than us and it would make sugar cheaper here. Make soda great again.
>>
>>79304302
Higher fructose content than regular sugar
>>
File: HFCS.jpg (42 KB, 695x386) Image search: [Google]
HFCS.jpg
42 KB, 695x386
>>79307274
>Make soda great again.
carbonated sugar water was never great you fucking degenerate.
>>
>>79302000
The government is why we have this problem you fuckwit. The government subsidizes corn so much that it's kind of retarded not to take that free money if you're a farmer. In places where corn is not subsidized so much, sugar is a lot more common, even in American drinks such as Coke.
>>
>>79307669
Can confirm, we don't have HFCS here. The only way you find it is if you go the special snow flake american import and buy shit like mountain dew and other shit that isn't made here by the swedish/european branch of the coca cola company etc.
>>
>>79307966
Even in China you can get a coke for way cheaper than here that tastes better because cane sugar and is a lot cheaper.
I don't drink soda a lot here but when I do i buy the expensive craft sodas made when cane sugar. It is what soda is supposed to be, a treat. Not the 1 dollar 2 liters that are so cheap that you could drink it all day. Even in restaurants I just get water, because they will charge 2.50 for soda.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.