[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
31 scientific bodies tell US Congress: Climate change is real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: Stop-global-warming.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Stop-global-warming.jpg
318 KB, 1920x1080
Thoughts?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-is-real-experts-tell-us-congress-global-warming-a7107531.html
>>
>>79134109
Bump
>>
The climate has always changed.
The effect man has on the climate is uncertain.
Alternative energy sources are in development, solar and wind are not ready now so use nuclear.
Of course these scientists say this, they want money, ese.
>>
>>79134109
yes climate change is real you ass, the problem is the effects of climate change are a literal scientific uncertainty. So why should we waste money on something that might not affect us
>>
>>79134495
>Alternative energy sources are in development, solar and wind are not ready now so use nuclear.

Okay, so why not just build on these more advanced technologies and train young people in them?

All this whining over alternative energies is retarded. Even if you don't buy climate change, why are people crying about coal plants other than [political party opposite of me holds a different opinion]
>>
File: 1452937701911-pol.png (302 KB, 828x1403) Image search: [Google]
1452937701911-pol.png
302 KB, 828x1403
Man made?
>>
>>79134109
The planet regulates itself.

No tiny increase in CO2 will change anything. It will be fed into the carbon cycle.
>>
Okay, it's real. So what do we do about it?
>>
>>79134109

>The Climate Changes

Why should I care?
>>
>>79134109
we need to stop HAARP
>>
>>79134109

i knew it would either be a polar bear on ice, or dry cracked mud.
>>
>>79134109
>sometimes it's cold
>sometimes it's hot
You need scientists to tell you this?
>>
>>79134786

>nigger smarter than op

this is the future you chose
>>
>>79134674

>Okay, so why not just build on these more advanced technologies and train young people in them?

They already do.

Here's a better solution;

Stop intervening on behalf of failed peoples and nations and let the population reduce itself, thereby negating many of the effects.

Africa's population has exploded to unthinkable numbers.

These people will want to establish a first world standard of living.

If we had let them wipe each other out and starve, we wouldn't have to deal with the enormous environmental burden they will bring.
>>
>>79134628
Because the worst case scenario for climate change is the annihilation of the human race. And if there is any chance of that happening, we should do everything in our power to prevent it.
>>
It's the 9th (or 10th) planet. It's a solar system problem, not just earth.
>>
>>79134786
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
Climate change is real.
How we deal with it is what I'm more concerned about.
Bureaucrats would rather push for governments to enforce regulations that would put as back before the industrial age instead of pushing for efforts to study and adapt through the climate change; resulting in jobs and newfound technology.
>>
>>79135089
If 99% of /pol/ is trolling, this would be the 1%
>>
>>79135113
>worst case scenario for climate change is the annihilation of the human race
End of Days, religion...history repeats. There are far larger problems looming like overpopulation and pollution, deforestation, poo in the streets and what not. Using a political football and catchall based on wildly speculative computer simulations of carbon molecules to manipulate and frighten people just highlights the ignorance of the masses.

On the other hand, this is the oil age, a round about way to restrict, ration and control hydrocarbons with the big lie is cutting right to the chase.
>>
>>79134628
https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Even-Think-About-Climate/dp/163286102X/191-9466247-1173811?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Read this book, it's an excellent analysis.

Uncertain is not the same thing as unsure. Scientists do not use words like "certain" on principle. It makes it seem as if anything can ever be predicted as 100% true. Scientists find this a fundamental corruption of the scientific method and thus largely reject. It is 99.99% likely that if we stay our course global warming will happen and it will wipe us out. That .01% is due to the possibility that it might not happen as quickly as we imagined, that something could intercede beforehand, or any number of other scenarios, but the fact that remains that scientists are overwhelmingly SURE that it will happen, even if they're not CERTAIN.

"Uncertain" is basically a "It's just a theory" tier argument.
>>
>>79135503
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/science/certainty-vs-uncertainty.html#.V3NZnDX06aY

im not buying a book
>>
File: 1444191628923.jpg (48 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1444191628923.jpg
48 KB, 306x306
>>79134109

do people really not think basically keeping a rolling fire the size of kansas going for hundreds of years wouldnt effect the climate eventually? i keep a candle lit in my room for a day and the whole fucking place is smoked up
>>
>>79135443
This doesn't explain why most climate action advocates say that the use of oil should be dramatically lowered by inventing technologies that make it irrelevant, not by rationing it.

Also, you can't criticize computer simulations because basically all modern predictions are built on them. What's next, "Oh, the weather service says evacuate before the hurricane hits but I believe computer simulations are wildly speculative and designed to manipulate people."
>>
>>79135745
Thanks. You should buy the book anyway though, it's great and the author tears the shit out of Greenpeace. Also a great analysis of how to make propaganda work.
>>
>>79135503
between 2 and 11 degrees, is a huge difference when talking about temperature.

This is more of an economical problem than an environmental one, do we have the capital and resources to deal with climate change, should we continuously spend money on something that might not affect us at all?
>>
Wonderful
All southern shitholes will die and our permafrost will turn into flowering gardens
Being biggest food producer we will starve the rest of the world so finally great russian earth will be free from nerus vermin and we will be able to peacefully retake the starts
>>
>>79136070
An honest statement from an honest Russians.
>>
>>79135443
http://www.newsweek.com/carbon-emissions-could-spark-mass-extinction-321061
tldr: carbon buildup has caused mass extinctions in the past
As you say, history repeats itself.
Your reference to wildly speculative computer simulations needs evidence
>>
>>79135984
This is certainly true, but what you're not taking into account is that this is a global average, not a uniform increase. It's also in celsius.

This means that this is a dramatic increase closer to the equater, and a still significant increase farther north. 2-4 degrees would be devastating. 8-11 degrees would be so significant it would breach temperature safety zones for most foliage and a vast majority of plant life on the Earth would die, as well as almost all ocean life.
>>
>>79135113
This.
>>79134495
>The effect man has on the climate is uncertain
Doesn't matter really. If an asteroid is coming at our ass are we going to argue whether this event is man-made? Apocalypse can be eminent and "the effect man has" is beside the point. Work our way through the solution immediately.
>Of course these scientists say this, they want money, ese.
The one who has the knowledge is distrust by uneducated people because of imaginary conflict of interest. You've got yourself in a dilemma. Many non-climate scientist who doesn't benefit anything from this also agree though.

Beside, scientist can make money from anything. Climate change or not, they work in a field that requires constant innovation, so they always adapt to changes and new information. There's a loss in wasting their time on proving something that isn't true.
>>
>>79136600
DIG FOXHOLE
>>
File: 1457758331166.gif (2 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
1457758331166.gif
2 MB, 356x200
>>79134109
>I spent thousands of dollars to tell you
>yes the weather changes
What a wonderful world we live in.
>>
>>79135113

The worst case scenario of driving my car is that some drunk asshole hits me head on and I go flying out of the windshield, and land straight in your mom's giant pussy. Of course, I could prevent that by staying inside and wrapping myself in bubble wrap, while sucking on a pacifier, but that seems like a bit of an overreaction, wouldn't it?

Only retards deny that humans can affect the environment around them. However, the true impact of our actions are impossible to quantify and actions taken solely by one nation are meaningless, as companies will just move to other nations where the restrictions are more relaxed. If the US places sanctions on business here, have fun watching the Chinese do ten times worse.

Basically, any actions by a single nation are a big waste of time.
>>
Maybe we shouldn't keep all of our eggs in one basket. Lets explore the other habitable planets. Naw niggers need their gibs
>>
>>79137248

>Only retards deny that humans can affect the environment around them. However, the true impact of our actions are impossible to quantify and actions taken solely by one nation are meaningless

>/pol/ can identify when there is a problem that needs ultranational support from things like the EU
>Claims the EU and other unions of multiple nations are useless

I will never understand this place.

THIS IS WHY WE PARTICIPATE IN FREE TRADE. MIGRATION. THINGS LIKE THAT. SO EVERYONE FEELS MUTUALLY INDEBTED TO EACH OTHER IN THINGS OTHER THAN TRADE AND MIGRATION. IF YOU CLOSE YOURSELF OFF, YOU CAN'T DO A THING.

China is beating us right now in cleaning itself up in terms of climate change. China. They only did that because we pressured them using the relationships we built in business and immigration.
>>
>>79135754
Nothing is going to replace fossil fuels without a drastic depopulation, pull your head out of your ass.

If we could predict weather more than a week out we would, we cannot predict climate, the idea is asinine. Many models are projecting 50 years or even 100 down the road, it's laughable really.

>>79136476
Speculation and I have no problem with it, speculate away! Theories are great but peddling it as scientific fact is dangerous. No better than the church of the dark ages. I am proposing the new age climate priest is the new age dark age priest. They may even believe which is more frightening than just a bunch of chumps lining their pockets dicking around with UN supercomputers all day.
>>
File: thumbs-up.jpg (16 KB, 423x272) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up.jpg
16 KB, 423x272
>>79137878
Reasonable poster
>>
>>79135503
We literally don't have an accurate model. Saying 'oh its going to change' is useless, because everyone fucking knows that. Unless you can actually predict what is going to change where, when and by how much nothing you say fucking matters.

'Oh its going to get hotter everywhere. Wait no, maybe only in some places during the winter, and the summers might get colder. There might be more hurricanes, wait not, I mean less hurricanes, but they'll be stronger!'

With no useful model of prediction there is not reasonable counter measure to take beyond 'make sure everyone has warm shit and cold shit available for whenever'
>>
>>79134685
Underrated.
>>
What I always wondered is it was supposed to be a lot warmer when there was dinosaurs right? If the earth could support mega fauna when it was hotter, then why would it pose any threat towards us. I know some people say sea level rise would cover up some coastal cities, but I don't care about that.
>>
>>79137732
>THIS IS WHY WE PARTICIPATE IN FREE TRADE

The reason why "we" participate in free trade is to escape regulatory and competitive pressures.
>>
File: 1386742660483.gif (2 MB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
1386742660483.gif
2 MB, 300x220
Environmental Scientist who works in satellite remote sensing, who sat in on an IPCC review panel and has watched Al Gore preach IRL; ask me most things.
>>
Obviously man's impact on the changing climate is debatable but there is NOTHING wrong with conserving water, turning the lights off when you aren't using them, etc etc etc. Don't be a fucker.
>>
File: muh oil.png (99 KB, 376x284) Image search: [Google]
muh oil.png
99 KB, 376x284
step off, motherfucker
>>
>>79137732
Don't even bother debating these retards and move to another thread. Save yourself the headache.
>>
>>79137878
The difference between weather and climate is like the difference between an elementary particle and a ball (kind of, different scale but similar principle). Very difficult to predict where a group of particles is going to go, but pretty easy to predict the ball from classical physics.
>>
>>79139575
If its easy how come literally no model has been accurate in predicting shit? Half the stuff they're even based on, like hot spots, don't even exist.
>>
>>79137732

>China is beating us right now in cleaning itself up in terms of climate change.

their total emissions are like 70% higher than ours and growing...

they're still building a new coal plant every day on average and they have a shitload of frackable oil&gas they're starting to exploit

also India is taking off in a big way and they're going the coal route because it's cheap

there is no stopping the climate change train, it's already like 70 years too late
>>
>>79139016
Is it well-supported that we need to take some affirmative action to avoid changes that will matter to us? If so, how much must we do? On what timeline? Also, I suppose, how motivated by politics or grants do the climate scientists you know seem to be vs. motivated by concerns about well-supported consequences?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.