[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Library Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 600x400
Should we stop tax-funding public libraries and instead let libraries turn into a business or franchise like Barnes and Nobles or GameStop?

What do you think /pol/? Tax cuts are always good
>>
File: f3ebf5.jpg (38 KB, 480x386) Image search: [Google]
f3ebf5.jpg
38 KB, 480x386
No, of course not. Where else are the kids going to be able to find pre-21st century, non-degenerate literature?
>>
Libraries, like many public services, provide a net societal benefit by increasing the availability of information.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x168
>>79008896
They would be businesses instead where profit is made. Tax is theft.
>>
Libraries are probably the most cost effective public service out there. If you want tax cuts, it's better to start somewhere less effective. Such as streets. A 4m wide street will do most of the things a 40m wide street does but costs a tenth.
>>
>>79010242

Not here it won't
>>
go the way of half price books
electronics and other misc shit
>>
>>79007955
PRIVATIZE IT ALL, EAT THE POOR

JUST A LIL MODEST PROPOSAL FROM OUR LEADER TRUMP
>>
File: 1463544799175.jpg (45 KB, 960x685) Image search: [Google]
1463544799175.jpg
45 KB, 960x685
>>79007955
>Should we stop tax-funding public libraries

>Teaching kids to abandon paper and ink.
>>
>>79007955
>the purpose of a public library is to provide free reading material for those who could not otherwise afford it and to assist in the forewarding of the public's envolvemnt in academia
>free
>fucking
>books

As soon as you start selling anything, it ceases to be a library. Stop shitposting Ray Bradbuy and go to sleep.
>>
>>79007955
It's as if you want our children to become dumber and less informed,. If anything, libraries promote self-teaching, unfiltered factual information, and the ability for an uneducated person to enlighten themselves. By taking free acess to this away, you bar people on the lower rungs of society who genuinely want to improve thier lives from advancing upwards and becoming productive individuals. Educated members of society help improve it. As soon as you shift the main focus from education to profit, the entire establishment becomes less effective.
If anything, libraries should be the one thing conservatives and all the "self-reliance" types out there should be funding. Do you want us to end up living in Faehrenheit 451?

congrats OP, this is the most retarded /pol/ thread of the year
>>
They are only a place for the homeless to hang out. Or at least that's the case in central city libraries. I CBF ever going into them now, and feel sad for the staff who have to put up with a fair amount of scum. I'd be cool for an admission charge of a buck, that can be waived for student s and the elderly
>>
>>79007955
Yeah, that'd be good.
>>
>>79007955
Hey guys, why don't we just remove one of the pillars of our civilization/republic? Wouldn't that be great?
>>
File: luigi.png (64 KB, 199x235) Image search: [Google]
luigi.png
64 KB, 199x235
>>79011214
>It's as if you want our children to become dumber and less informed,

This whole post was just cancer.
That's like saying because I don't like the idea of the government raising farms I suddenly do not wish for people to eat. In fact, if you want to see a closer-to-home example of this then just take a look at government education. It's shit and it's only getting shittier with things like Common Core. Why? Because there's no competition for such a thing so governments aren't really motivated to operate on a higher standard.

>Do you want us to end up living in Faehrenheit 451

When did anyone start advocating the burning of books? Or the censorship of ideas for that matter?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.