[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Globalism/BREXIT: Press vs. Readers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Against Globalism.png (580 KB, 1075x667) Image search: [Google]
Against Globalism.png
580 KB, 1075x667
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/25/great-britain-just-killed-globalization-as-we-know-it
>Last month in Washington, the first deputy managing director of the International Monetary Fund, a former Obama economic adviser named David Lipton, gave a speech titled "Can Globalization Still Deliver?" In it, he called for a "new form of globalization that works for all" -- one that clearly shows working-class voters "the opportunities of collaboration and integration."

>"Too many people in the developed world see only a loss of jobs to lower wage destinations," Lipton said.

>But if they want to sell wary workers on the gains from integration -- to salvage a new era of globalization, instead of launching a new dawn of economic retrenchment -- public officials might need to be more honest with themselves about the trade-offs that come with deepening economic ties.

>Harvard University economist Dani Rodrick dubs those trade-offs the "inescapable trilemma of the world economy." What that means is that we can have any two of these three things, but never all three: democracy, national sovereignty and global economic integration. In other words, you can't have people voting their own interests, in a country that always places its own interests above the shared interests of the global community, while also stitching everyone's economies together seamlessly.

>"If we want more globalization," Rodrick wrote in a 2007 blog post that has only grown in relevance over the past eight years, "we must either give up some democracy or some national sovereignty. Pretending that we can have all three simultaneously leaves us in an unstable no-man's land." A land of Big Macs, cheap toys and more and more Brexits.

Read the entire article and note it's tone, and THEN GO READ THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW IT.
It's like night and day.
>>
>>78921233
Have we started the fire?
>>
>>78921491
You can watch the presentation by Dr. Lipton on how global free trade has screwed over everyone here (start at 35:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i5HL7GiWwo
>>
No one, not even normies, likes globalism. It's only popular with the Marxists from the 60's and the current generation being churned out by liberal arts schools. The tribal 'us and them' mindset is so ingrained in the human psyche that only those individuals who buy into the rhetoric popular with 20 somethings don't follow it. Joe Nobody is naturally xenophobic like everyone else. Hell even 'le sjw' is a xenophobe, namely towards those not drinking the same flavor koolaid as they are.
>>
>>78921233
The logical conclusion is to give up globalism.

No?

My bad, here I thought it was about ensuring liberty and all that
>>
>>78921233

>https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/27/brexit-is-a-reminder-some-things-just-shouldnt-be-decided-by-the-people/?tid=pm_business_pop_b
>Emily (((Badger)))

Democracy is good until it's not! Amazing Leftist drivel.
>>
File: 1459668850716.jpg (7 KB, 241x255) Image search: [Google]
1459668850716.jpg
7 KB, 241x255
so what is it going to be, what is the people going to choose?
Is globalism here to stay, killing democracy in its wake?
I am legitimately fucking scared
>>
>"An underlying issue is growth. We in the West think that 2% +GDP can go on forever but I feel that is not so. New technologies make specific things more efficient but there is fall-out, for example, automation is now reducing jobs in previously unimaginable areas. It may be that global growth is going to slow to the point where in the future zero will be considered good, whereas we tear our hair at that figure today. Brexit is the electorate's reaction to some of the underlying issues that Western capitalism has failed to fix. They believe that the world economy is one huge Ponzi scheme and could unravel. Then what? Head for the Montana hills and the secret bunker? Brexit is a statement of dissatisfaction not only with the specifics of Cameron's leadership in the UK but with a wider concern that the world is going to hell in a handcart....slowly but inexorably. Leaders across the World have not addressed this. 2008 was a frightening wake-up call but the banks are back to their old ways of short term returns and no strategic planning. Is it a surprise that electorates are scared?"

smart comments? in my internet?

The idea that if you are not growing you are dying is going to get us all totally killed, social security for old people in a falling population reality is a bomb that needs to be defused, but NOT BY MAKING IT LARGER!
>>
>>78922858
Comments are pretty good here too. People are getting fed up with the elitist 'you're all too stupid to know what you want. Let daddy government make all your decisions for you.' The entire western political debate is boiling down to Authoritarianism v. Democracy again. I swear we are just retracing our steps leading up to WW II.
>>
>>78923596
Fundamentally I think people are slowly accepting that there is a real decline in the need for and supply of jobs, and that substitution of labor (via free trade enabled offshoring and automation) and localized domestic flooding of the market with job seekers from other countries ISN'T HELPING.
>>
File: People Waking Up.png (73 KB, 617x951) Image search: [Google]
People Waking Up.png
73 KB, 617x951
>>78923596
This comment thread was also good.
>>
Are globalists retarded or do they know what they're doing?

They're talking like free trade doesn't exist without globalization.

You can trade with a country without some foreign entitity controlling your borders and regulating your household appliances.

I mean god damn, the US isn't in the EU and we're almost completely sovereign from their bullshit, but there's no shortage of trade and cheap chink products.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.