[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you be sure that it all exists? That you aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: lie.png (1 MB, 1008x620) Image search: [Google]
lie.png
1 MB, 1008x620
How can you be sure that it all exists? That you aren't just in some massive experiment and everyone around you except you knows about it? How can you not say that when you go for longer trips you aren't being tranquilized and then put in a virtual reality setting until in a proper location? HOW CAN YOU PROVE THAT ALL THEY SAY IS THERE WITHOUT REALLY YOU BEING THERE?
>>
Because optimism.
>>
Because I'm not a in college or a freshman anymore and this stuff is completely inconsequential.
>>
>>78808092
I dot know the term but basically the more people know about a conspiracy, the less likely it will be kept a secret.

The entire world keeping a secret from one person would fail in a few seconds
>>
File: trashit.gif (2 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
trashit.gif
2 MB, 580x433
>>78808194
It's actually a fairly important philosophical question and the only good answer actually is, because optimism.

>mfw the idiots think they're welcome in philosophy threads and simply abuse the OP
NOT AN ARGUMENT
>>
>>78808633
Tell me right now how being in a simulation would alter the way in which you live your life.
>>
>>78808092

>>>/b/
>>>/x/

Summer get out. REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>78809318
It would render everything meaningless and make any reaction short of complete fuck up subversion of all things completely immoral.

Thus the answer is optimism.

>>78809556
No... You stupid cunt. Whilst /his/ is leftpol, philosophy problems with an expectation of a modernist or contemporarist answer come here. Postmodernism is unsatisfactory.
>>
>>78809789
How does being in a simulation render everything meaningless compared to the truth of our reality? We're a bunch of tribal apes driven and built by acid molecules that have been existing and replicating for 4 billion years.
>>
>>78810027
OP is talking about "brain in a vat" style thing, please Google it. If nothing else exists except my brain in a vat than everything I do is necessarily meaningless and any actions performed just perpetuates the system, it feeds it by providing feedback to the evil genius running this experiment.

But it's not, because optimism.

>We're a bunch of tribal apes driven and built by acid molecules that have been existing and replicating for 4 billion years.
Oh my, the edge.

The fact that some of us are trying to talk philosophy clearly proves we're a little more than that.
>>
>>78810027
>he believes in evolution
>>
File: 1466321556740.jpg (113 KB, 637x636) Image search: [Google]
1466321556740.jpg
113 KB, 637x636
>>78808092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BiKZbKffk
>>
>>78810411
>Oh my, the edge.

No man, it's fact. You can extract the acid molecules from your body to determine that yes they are building you, controlling you by building your brain and shows us that you're a species of ape. It's objective reality.

>>78810582
Nice b8
>>
>>78810411
Hyper reductionist meta nihilistic philosophy is a phase for most people btw. You grow out of it.
>>
>>78810789
I wouldn't deny that, although your tangential non sequitur is pretty irrelevant to this conversation.
>>
>>78811227
I'm just trying to show you that reality is absurd and there is no objective meaning in the first place. Our universe being a simulation or virtual reality would do literally nothing to change how I live my life, because my existence is built off the idea that there is no true meaning in the first place. You find your own way.
>>
>>78811767
Oh, you're leftypol.

That's actually shockingly nihilistic, kind of interesting you posted: >>78811130
>>
>>78811985
Yeah but the difference is I'm not the one going "Oh no what if reality is meaningless, how will I deal??" I already accepted it, dealt with it and moved past it. I've found my own meaning which is similar to what many people find.

Life is about the people around you and your place among them.
>>
>>78811985
Not a lefty btw, pretty centrist.
>>
>>78808092

>But it's not, because optimism.

Kek. What a faggot. Why can't you just see for what it really is - something that's uncertain and can't be proven to be true or false?
>>
>>78812421
>I already accepted it, dealt with it and moved past it. I've found my own meaning which is similar to what many people find.
Well good for you. That's kind of contradictory to your statement:
>I'm just trying to show you that reality is absurd and there is no objective meaning in the first place.
If reality is absurd then so is any of your personal meaning, it belittles it, makes your reality self centered and essentially means you're picking up the pieces of a puzzle that ultimately means nothing. Congratulations.

>Life is about the people around you and your place among them.
So you define yourself by the opinions of others.

SURE THING HANK.
>>
Even if I was in a simulation, right now, it would not make a difference to me.
It is still reality -- at least to me. Objectively, yes it would be a falsehood. BUT subjectively, this is all I know and I accept it. It is reality TO ME. It's the allegory of Plato's cave, I guess.
There are a few things in this reality I find quite jarring, and I won't list them here.
So if this is a simulation I am in, I suppose the creators can take this message from me as a job well done; you created something convincing... and if not, I guess I look stupid on an anonymous Punjabi tapestry-weaving forum.
>>
>>78813116
This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is immature edgy nihilism where literally nothing matters.

I'm just saying that there is no objective meaning to the universe and that you need to find your own meaning. You sound like me when I was 19.

>So you define yourself by the opinions of others

This is just a strawman.
>>
>>78813467
No, this is a straw man:
>You sound like me when I was 19
Actually it's an ad hominem, you assume I'm incorrect because you're drawing similarities between me and a past version of this you. Yes, I already know you're actually older than me.

This
>>78813116
>So you define yourself by the opinions of others.
Is the ultimate conclusion of being told life is about your place amongst the people around you rather than your place amongst yourself or rather finding yourself. If anything it's a slippery slope, but thanks for playing name that fallacy.
>>
Don't be a kibbutz goy, be a good goy.
>>
>>78808242
>completely inconsequential
This.
The answer is you can't, but it doesn't matter in the slightest; you still have to live your life as though it matters, as though things are real, etc. You gain nothing from presuming this is a simulation, just as you gain nothing from presuming there's life after death. Likewise you gain nothing from being an atheist, nihilist or pessimist either. This is about where "just do you" comes to mind. Good luck, everyone.
>>
>>78808092
Those borders are disgusting.
>>
>>78814096
>you assume I'm incorrect because you're drawing similarities between me and a past version of this you. Yes, I already know you're actually older than me.

No I actually explained why you were wrong, then I said that. An ad hom is an insult rather than an argument or explanation, not an insult with an argument or explanation.

With the rest, I'm telling you that living for yourself and yourself alone does not last as a goal or perspective for most people. It leads to loneliness, being withdrawn and depressed.

Life is about you finding the tribe that you belong to and being the best member of that tribe that you can be. We're social animals, not solitary.

You will discover this one day or you'll end up depressed, unless you're schizoid, a sociopath or autistic.
>>
I have physically driven across the entirety of Canada and the USA by myself on motorcycle.

As in I have risen from Toronto to PEI, from PEI to New York, from New York to Dallas, from Dallas to San Fran, from there to Seattle, from Seattle to Vancouver, and from Vancouver back to Toronto.

All in an open air environment where I could stop and do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

Please explain how that could be "simulated"
>>
>>78808092
this message was offered by fingolian empire
>>
>>78808092
>How can you be sure that it all exists?
Can't, but because there is absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise, i will continue to base my decisions off the assumption that it all does in fact exist.
>>
>>78814096
So yes, the Universe does not inherently have a purpose for you, you need to find your own purpose. Whether or not reality is a simulation does not change the fact that I have meaning in being the best member of my family, friends and community that I can possibly be. It won't make me enjoy nature any less, won't make me enjoy music, love and sex any less.

Life is great and it does not matter whether it is real or simulated. You might accept this one day, or you might spend the rest of your days as a miserable cunt. Up to you.
>>
>>78814648
You're projecting all sorts of negativity to asceticism, which I guess all I can respond with is 2deep4u. You even ended with a reckless diagnosis of mental illness.

You simply can't discover your true self whilst being dependent on others to define your identity. What you're left with instead is narcissism and vanity, you become obsessed with the opinions of others rather than building a character or identity independent of the subtle control from other people's impressions.

There is a value in retreating from all distractions except yourself, when it's just you with.. you, you're forced to come to terms with yourself, re-evaluate yourself and create an identity unique to you that was created specifically for you by you. It's the 40 days in the desert thing.

Your collectivism isn't a solution to depression, the pursuit of personal greatness is.

>we're social animals
This is a naturalistic fallacy, quite hollow against your proposition that humans find their own meaning.
>>
>>78815634
I don't need you to tell me life is great or that certain things are enjoyable, like all experiences too much dulls the senses and that is when you must reevaluate moderation, even if it means retreating from that safe space of your community.

And of course reality isn't a simulation, but the answer "because it doesn't matter" is even more hollow than "because optimism." It's a deliberately difficult philosophical question and most 20th century philosophers agree creating scepticism is easier than providing arguments, it's why after the shroud of authoritarianism surrounding religion dropped atheism pretty much blew theism out without giving it a chance and left it naked and ridiculous.
>>
>>78808092
hows it like being 15? who cares really
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.