[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about traffic stops.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3
File: fuckthepolice.gif (6 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
fuckthepolice.gif
6 KB, 500x477
In America, do you have to shut off the car's engine when you are pulled over by police?

I'm not certain. On one hand, I looked up my state's laws regarding traffic stops and all it says you have to do is "stop" for the officer. It says nothing about turning off the engine.

On the other hand, the police have leeway in what they can tell you to do during a traffic stop for safety reasons. A police officer could argue that turning off the engine is necessary for public safety so that you don't accidentally put the car into drive while fumbling for documents.

What do you think? If I tried leaving the engine on during a traffic stop and refused to turn it off what would happen?
>>
>>78212320
Just shut your car off faggot fuck who cares
>>
I've done it both ways, but generally I think it generally shows a sign of good faith to cut the engine unless you need it on for heat or because it won't start back up or whatever.
>>
all the times i've been pulled over for speeding i had my engine on.
>>
>>78212544
fpbp
>>
File: image.png (6 KB, 415x416) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 415x416
>>78212320

You should try being white.

It makes the whole traffic stop thing way easier.
>>
You're supposed to turn off the engine, as well as your radio and roll down your window. Good policy to keep your hands on the steering wheel as well.
>>
>>78212544

Well I could have a valid reason for wanting the car on. It could be really cold or really hot outside and I want to keep the temperature at a comfortable level.

Also, I don't like complying with police officers during a detainment anymore than I am legally required to.
>>
>>78212544
fpbp
>>
>>78212320. Just shut it off.

The trick to dealing with police is being polite as fuck and just do what they say. If you have a disagreement with the situation, record it and take it to court with your lawyer. If the cop did something wrong you will be awarded lots of money, if not you saved yourself an ass whooping in public.
>>
Engine off, keys on the dash. Good odds you'll get off with nothing.
>>
>>78212938
Keys on the dash? Just get your license and registration out on the dash ahead of time so you're not digging around where he can't see. Hands on the wheel.

I like to put my 4-ways on because that's what I was taught to do when stopped at the side of the road for any reason, including that I stopped at the side of the road.
>>
>>78212320
driving isnt a right faggot. read the fine print when you got your driver's license
>>
>>78212320
Turning it off is a courtesy to the officer, I've always turned my engine off, put my keys on the dashboard, had my I'd ready with my hands on the wheel by the time the cop walks up and I have never gotten a ticket since I have started doing this.
>>
>>78212938
>>78212822

You guys are telling me to turn off the engine - but why? That's not codified in my state's laws. It says that all I have to do is stop for the officer.
>>
>>78213280
If your engine works gud you can always turn it on in an instant if you need to. It's just a sign of respect, like being white and polite.
>>
>tfw RCMP officer
>tfw I can get police fired just for pissing me off

I had a cop laugh at my accent and now he works security

Love when cops try to fuck with someone higher up than them
>>
>>78213280
You want a ticket? Fine, leave it on.
>>
>>78212544
fpbp, d.ubs c.onfirm.
>>
>>78213138

I'm aware that "driving (on public roads) isn't a right" and I have read the fine print when I got my driver's license. It said nothing about this.
>>
>>78213421
What kind of fucking idiot pulls over a horse and expects different?
>>
>>78213438
>>78213438

It's beyond my control whether or not I get a ticket. That's up to the police officer.

You're acting like I have a say in the matter haha.
>>
>>78213733
But you do. Kiss his ass and he won't cut your dick off.
>>
>>78213280
More cops get killed during traffic stops then in any other law enforcement activity, and they're aware of this. You may not have noticed, but when a cop approaches your vehicle, first thing he or she does is touch the back of it with their bare finger. The idea is if they get murdered and you're a suspect, there's physical evidence to link you to the crime.

Honestly, it's just polite and doesn't cost you anything.
>>
>>78213733
Not always, but you definitely have some say in what happens a lot of times. Is it going to be a real speeding ticket or just that you were disobeying a traffic device because you were being a dumbass? Or just being sent on your way because you were being a really big dumbass and he didn't want to deal with it.

Or did he just get off duty and wants to go home but felt the need to chew you out for being a dumbass first?
>>
>>78213733
>
>>
>>78213868

I've seen cops do that in videos on YouTube. I think they do that only when they are concerned that the person may try to flee. They don't do it for every car.

If a person flees the police can prove it is the same car via the fingerprint.

>>78213837
>>78213950

Meh, I don't agree with kissing the cop's ass. I'd rather comply with what I'm legally required to do and contest the ticket in court.

I really doubt being a brown noser would accomplish anything anyway. Assuming you're stopped by a cop there is probably a good chance that a ticket will follow. They're not out there to give people warnings. They're there to ticket.
>>
>>78214564
I'm not inclined to kiss a cop's ass. You never know if it's going to be a dickhead cop or a nice one anyway, so I just do the usual thing with any ordinary person and give him the benefit of the doubt, be polite, and see where things go from there.

It's not hard to tell when they're there to be revenue robots, but I've gotten let off for some pretty outrageous things without being a weasel or a dick about it.
>>
>>78213134
>Keys on the dash?

When you're 6'8" and 320lbs biker and the cop is 5'9" and 160lbs, it's the smart play

It's best to not give the cop any anxiety when you look like conan on a harley
>>
File: hero_cop.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hero_cop.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
unless specific by law, it is the cops discretion.

which means a 50% chance the faggot will give you a ticket.

fuck cops. they make me want to become muslim (no pork)
>>
>>78213868
>More cops get killed during traffic stops then in any other law enforcement activity,

thats because thats ALL THEY DO. if they went after real criminals, that statistic would change dramatically.

its like saying fish die mostly in water...
>>
>>78212320
just do what the cop says, you fag

its not like a test if you dont turn off your car the cop will arrest you
>>
>>78217936

Yeah, pretty much "officer discretion" is going to be used when the driver is in law enforcement too.

Unless you can benefit from your occupation or family status I don't see how being a brown noser is going to keep you out of a ticket.

In regards to your picture, cops hate tinted windows because they like looking inside the car. The last time I got pulled over the cop walked around every window shining his flashlight in my car, then he STILL asked if he could search my car. It's like "Motherfucker, you've seen damn near everything. What do you want to do, cut open my car seats and see what's inside?"

I declined the search. I don't like doing anything during a traffic stop that I am not legally required to do: hence the question in the OP.

I have a feeling the cop would probably try twisting it into a notion of public safety. e.g. turn off your engine so you don't accidentally shift gears while moving around inside the car.
>>
>>78212320
Do what the cop says unless you wanna be on worldstar
>>
>>78213642
>horse
mounties ride moose you retard
>>
>>78218508
I once told a cop he could go ahead and search my car. He spend about 30 minutes on it. I eventually fell asleep and he had to knock on the roof to wake me up and ask me if there was anything under the hood, so I pulled the lever and he told me to forget it.

Not long after, he drove off in a rage. That was funny. Seemed like he thought I was going to be his big catch for the night or something.

I'm not against them making a reasonable display of force, considering there was a budding disturbance and I just wanted to ask if they might send a squad car down to road to cool it down, but they said I'd have to call 911 and I'm morally against clogging up emergency lines.
>>
>>78218576

I have disobeyed cops when they tried giving me orders they couldn't do before.

My last traffic stop I only rolled down the window a couple inches. The cop told me to roll it all the way down, and I informed him that there is no law that says that I have to do that. He quickly changed the subject since he knew that I was right.

He wanted to smell the interior of my car to see if it smells like alcohol or cannabis, the fucking faggot.
>>
>>78212841
> I don't like complying with police officers
And they don't like you either and will give you no warnings or leeway unless legally required to.
>>
>all this edge

If you don't want to, and are not legally required to, don't. Seriously, is there anything anyone can say to change your mind, or did you just start this thread to complain about "dem fuckin' pigs?"
>>
>>78213280
It tells the cop you're a respectable citizen and you're not going to pull any shit.
>>
>>78218728
we actually ride your mom
>>
>>78212320
In virginia, the cops tell you not to turn the car off, actually.
>>
What the fuck is the point of this thread OP

>Guys should I turn off the engine
Probably, it'll help you not get a ticket
>But cops are assholes lol
>I don't wanna
>I'm a gigantic faggot

Then fucking don't why are you even here
>>
>>78217936
Dark windows are a safety hazard for other drivers. You need to be able to make eye contact with other drivers and see what's beyond their car.
>>
>>78219358

How is it edgy to assert some rights during a traffic stop?

You've got it backwards. My car is my property. The hypothetical police officer is in the wrong if he's ordering me to do things with my car that are outside of his legal authority.
>>
>>78219749
Do you have the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin for your car?
>>
>>78219749
It's your right, so fine. But there's no point in being a dick if you want to avoid a ticket.
>>
>>78212320
>this really made me think.
I'm pretty sure I never actually turned my. Truck off while getting pulled over.
>>
>>78219718

That's bullshit.

When do you need to make eye contact with another driver? When you're flipping him off during a road rage dispute lol?

You never need to see "through" a vehicle. If your visibility is being hampered you shouldn't turn or pull out until your visibility improves. Imagine if there was a semitruck next to you at an intersection. You can't see through his vehicle. You just gotta stop and proceed safely when you're able to.
>>
Cops don't fuck with me. I got a thin blue line sticker from a buddy of mine, and once they see it they back off unless you're doing something egregious.
>>
>>78219749
Then don't fucking do it. Again, why did you even start this thread?
>>
>>78212320
I, for one, am very glad we have faggots like you, OP, pondering the great questions of our time.
>>
>caring this much about your property rights

We also need stiffer penalties for dicks who resist arrest / ignore instructions
>>
>>78212320
Deputy here, you don't have to turn it off. I only ask people to turn it off when I have to take their license plate. That's so they dont run me over.
>>
>>78220138

Because I like asserting my rights when interacting with police officers. Is that a bad thing according to you?
>>
>>78212933
This guy gets it. When people are polite and made an honest mistake, no ticket,
>>
>>78220595
>you don't take the license plate when you're sitting in your running car for about 2 or 3 hours with your dashcam on

hokay, dep
just use your PA to ask me to turn it off if the water vapor is obscuring the view
>>
>>78220924

He must be in a state where cars only have to have front license plates.

By "take their plate" I'm assuming he means walking in front of the car to note the license plate.
>>
>>78220924
Yeah you take a license plate when some asshole doesn't have insurance. I'm sure you would love for him to hit an innocent person and damage their vehicle and possibly hurt them. Better to get them off the road.
>>
>>78221027
Back plates only, I don't want them to throw the car in reverse and pin my skull against my front bumper.
>>
>>78221142
Maybe I just come from a part of the country where they take your plate no matter what.

No hard feelings.
>>
>>78221142

Uh, are you really a cop?

I don't think that cops physically remove people's license plates. If someone is on the road with no insurance his shit gets towed.
>>
>>78221249
Really? What is the legal justification for that? Anytime I take a plate I always explain why and how to fix it.

>>78221287
Yes we take them. The DMV in my state will issue a plate pick-up order on anyone who doesn't have car insurance on their vehicle.
>>
>>78221287
Are you stupid?
>>
>>78221437
>Yes we take them.

Good luck. Tamper-proof screws so niggers don't put my plates on their clapped-out rides.
>>
>>78218909
You realize there are non-emergency lines they can transfer you to, right?
>>
>>78221437
Maybe "always" is a little strong. It's pretty obvious when the run it beforehand or afterhand, but computer technology makes that easier and easier.

Do you mean you explain to the driver how to fix what's wrong? Anyway, I've had generally very good experiences with cops. I think the last time was when I punctured a tire on an interstate and somebody one stopped off to see if I needed any help while I was changing my tires.
>>
In NY its keys out the ignition.
>>
>>78212320
I get pulled over at least once a month and I've never been told to turn off my vehicle.

Just show registration, shut it off if they would ever tell you to, and stop being such a faggot nigger OP.
>>
>>78221970
Yeha I meant that I explain to the driver of the reason of why I'm taking the plate. Sometimes its strange, if you cancel your insurance and then 30 minutes later get a different insurance company to insure your vehicle, the pick-up plate order is still valid. The reason is because there was a lapse in insurance. I hate taking someone's plate when they've done something like that. I always explain the reason of the seizure and what steps to take to be issued a new plate or to get valid insurance.
>>
>>78221941
She didn't offer me other lines. Maybe she thought I just sounded upset enough that I should have called the emergency line.

Anyway, a squad car came down before I decided what to do next, indicating that a neighbor had got it done. And there weren't any problems that day.
>>
>>78222356
Why do you get pulled over once a month?
>>
>>78222438

What is the purpose of taking the plate? If someone is driving without insurance then isn't the car impounded?
>>
>>78222438
Oh wait. When I said "taking" the plate, maybe that means "running" the plate to you. I don't mean like physically taking the plate off the vehicle.

They don't even remove the plate from the vehicle where I live. They just tow it away.
>>
>>78222506
No not always. If you have a lapse in your insurance like when you switch insurance companies, the DMV issues a pick-up plate order in my state. So even if you have valid insurance and you canceled your previous insurance vefore swithcing, we have to take the plate. Sucks that we have to, but we are required by law here.
>>
>>78222672
Oh yeah we take them. it's stupid sometimes. If you're a POS that just doesn't have insurance we take the car too.

see
>>78222850
>>
>>78222850

So you go to someone's dwelling and try to physically take their license plate? What if their car is in a garage?
>>
>>78223000
No not at all. Only if it's being operated on a roadway. You can have a car with no insurance in your yard.
>>
>>78223188

You're not making any sense.

If you pulled someone over and they don't have insurance then their shit gets towed. Like I said.

So what is the purpose of physically taking their license plate? They're not going to be able to get it from the impound yard until it's legal to drive on the road anyway.

I'm starting to doubt that you are a police officer.
>>
>>78223360
If you are driving a vehicle without any insurance you get towed. If you decided to cancel your insurance yesterday and then you got another company to insure your vehicle, the DMV is notified that there is a lapse in your insurance. No matter how long it took to get new insurance, if there is any lapse at all, the DMV is notified. You're suppose to get your car insured and then cancel your previous insurance.
When we tow vehicles we still take the plates. If you ever cancel your insurance you are suppose to surrender your plate to DMV. At least in my state
>>
>>78212320

I don't think they're that bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs
>>
>>78212320
>If I tried leaving the engine on during a traffic stop and refused to turn it off what would happen?

The cop will tell you to stop resisting as he is beating your ass and dragging you from the car.

>try not being a nigger and just cooperate with the cop
>>
>>78214564
I have been stopped at least 15 times, and only prosecuted once, for a DUI, for which I fully deserved. I have always been respectful, complied with orders, and never got a ticket with the exception of the DUI.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.