[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are video games causing kids today to be anti social? At least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: vidya is shit.jpg (11 KB, 251x200) Image search: [Google]
vidya is shit.jpg
11 KB, 251x200
Are video games causing kids today to be anti social? At least when I was growing up we talked and interacted in person when I played videogames
>>
>>78167227
yes
>>
>>78167227
yes, anti-social and fat
>>
It's more to do with the internet
>>
>>78167227
Yes.

I'm only 27 but when I was a kid we actually had to find 3 other people to play Goldeneye or supersmash brothers.

Now you find a lobby, put up some weeb anime avatar and talk shit to your hearts desire because your safe in your little digital world.
>>
>>78167227
yeah. i'm lucky to born on the cusp where i had some human interaction and not just interaction with games
>>
>>78167227
In part, yes, but with the arrive of the internet its when it really got worst
>>
Video games and anime are turning this generation into numales.
>>
File: j33vesu.jpg (19 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
j33vesu.jpg
19 KB, 217x320
>>78167536
I'm an anti-social, shut in, depressed friendless virgin, but I'm not fat.

I don't even care about vidya that much any more.
>>
>>78167227
theres been videogames for 30+ years

unless you are 40+ i doubt videogames are the cause
>>
File: 1457414357724.jpg (128 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
1457414357724.jpg
128 KB, 800x598
>>78167227
Considering how many games don't even have split screen multiplayer anymore I'd have to say yes.
>oy vey goyim yes yes pay for this online account so you can play with your friends without actually being with your friends
>>
>>78167227
I'd wager it had more to do with the advent of the "public internet", with the proliferation of handheld internet-capable devices being the deathblow. Don't get me wrong, smartphones are handy things, but people aren't just using them as tools, they've become entirely dependent on them.

It's only one piece of a larger problem (a big piece, but still just a piece) of kids not spending their youth being social and physically active, instead being reclusive and inert. Vidya, television/anime/cartoons, sites like facebook/reddit/4chan all make for excellent distractions, and until you turn 18 and have to start making your way in the world, there's no reason to turn those distractions off. Then, you get out into the world and life hits you hard. Its easier to just shut down and retreat into your fantasies. I still use the internet for information and entertainment, but I limit myself to two hours a day.

t. Latchkey Kid raised by his N64
>>
I think the INTERNET is the bigger cause of destruction of socialization. Especially smartphones, and MMOs

As a kid, all my video game playing was with other people and we'd also go outside and do normal things. And I'm a diagnosed autist yet I still did this. What really changed was when kids/teens started getting their own PC's and smartphones.

It was really the Internet that made video games the addictive problem they are today.

4chan is no better, it's just as addictive if not more (I can barely even play vidya anymore because /pol/ is more addictive and requires less attention)
>>
I think it's caused a lot more gamers to develop social anxiety; myself included. I notice that very few people use their microphones, as well as typing. When I was younger I played a lot of CS 1.6 and people were always talking with each other. Now when I play video games, no one ever talks except for the rare autist with zero self awareness.
>>
>>78170081
I can't really weigh in on this because I was an autist before I ever played games or used the Internet. I felt that my social skills improved because of it, but in reality it's probably because everyone else's have gotten worse.

I don't think that it's that games/internet/what have you are CAUSING autism (diet and parenting in early childhood are the bigger causes) but these things ruin the potential that smarter autists have for using their brains for real skills. I'm lucky my parents were strong on pressuring me academically, in an alternate life I would have been an obese NEET instead of a successful engineer with a master's and half-decent social skills.
>>
>>78167227
I grew up without Internet until I was like 14/15. When I did finally get it I was addicted as fuck. My social anxiety came way before the Internet though, after moving schools 3 or 4 times in just a few years. The Internet actually allowed me to grow by allowing me to meet, chat, and socialize with new people in the comfort of my own home. I guess you can't really blame video games though. As long as you don't it totally consume you or if you have parents that regulate its use you should be okay.
>>
>>78167227
It's not games it's the "smartphones" go outside and look at all the fucktards staring down at their screens, or the quick pavlovian response to the device whenever it makes it a sound. Videogames have been around for a long time and will continue to be so. I'm a NEET because of a fucked up back and most of my "friends" are guys I've met in video games. When I go out everyone is on their fucking phone with headphones plug in to their heads.
>>
>>78167227
>11kb
I'm not an ant ffs
>>
Not really, but we'll get more extreme forms of autism if we don't make Fighting games/FPS/Strategy games great again
>>
I honestly blame political correctness. These days saying anything to anyone could lead to a lawsuit or criminal charge. When just saying the wrong thing, online or not, could lead to a felony charge, you'd probably not talk that much either. Everything is seen as offensive or bullying now. And too many parents would rather their child play in the censored, parental controlled online realm that risk having them get their feelings hurt in real life.
>>
>>78167227
Video games caused kids to be anti-social in the 90's. 4chan is causing kids to be anti-social now.
>>
>>78168351
>>78167644
come on people. these two have it right
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.