[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pick one: $8k in cash? Or $20k strictly for college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: college-money.jpg (19 KB, 420x280) Image search: [Google]
college-money.jpg
19 KB, 420x280
This is a real life dilemma and I'd like /pol/'s opinion.

My grandfather who passed 10 years ago left me $20k for college/university, however I honestly can't see college being useful for me. All I want to do is start my own business(es) and I genuinely feel like I don't need college to help. I'd rather read some books on business or the industry I want to sell in, as opposed to blowing money to have a professor "teach" me and a hundred other students at once by cramming a bunch of info down our throats and trying to memorize (more than actually learn) a bunch of info for tests.

That $20k is currently saved in the Canadian equivalent of what you'd call in the US a "529". But since there's fees/penalties to use it for anything non-educational related, it gets cut down to about $8k.

So... $8k in cash or $20k for educational purposes?
>>
Collage, a wonderful bricolage of learning and chicks

Study engineering faggot
>>
>>78115929
>choosing between less than a years funds for college or a bit over an average months wages
really makes you think...
>>
>>78115929
i think you have the right idea about college and its usefulness, particularly within this field of study. it would far better to befriend someone who started their own business to teach you the basics.

i would venture with the business idea though find a different source of capital while keeping the money in the fund. if the business plan shits the bed then you still have 20K for other things like learning a trade or studying a different subject.
>>
>>78115929

trade school imo
>>
sry can't relate I get everything for free
>>
>>78115929

You're really going to turn over $12k to the government? Go to fucking community college.
>>
>>78116697

I just realized that about $7k of the $20k is actually the government's contributions to the fund over time.
>>
>>78116382
oh and to put it in starker terms for you, op. think about it:

if you take the 8K, that's a 12K loss! that's money you'll never get back.

you could borrow 5K, lose it completely and still be ahead at the end, than if you had taken the 8K and lost that under the same conditions.

keep the 20K.
>>
>>78115929
go to school dumbo.

it's only a waste when you have to indebt yourself for it. you get to go for free/cheap.
>>
>>78115929
Go to college for engineering or any hard science. Robotics is cool, nursing is cool.
>>
>>78115929

8k in cash. Because i can make that 20k within two months.

What kind of fuckin question is that you leaf.
>>
>>78115929

What sort of business do you want to start?

Uni/college can certainly give a lot of advantages in life. Saying that though, certain lines of work do not require it at all and wasting a few years would be detrimental.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.