[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about the concept of tradition?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: punished.jpg (51 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
punished.jpg
51 KB, 640x360
What does /pol/ think of "tradition"? Personally, I dislike traditions for the most part. A lot of traditions are done nowadays because thats what our ancestors did. That is fine and all.. but people only remember that our ancestors did it. They don't remember WHY they did it.

For example, there is this place in rural china that has little boys piss on chicken eggs and then the eggs are used to make food. No one in the village knows why they have little boys piss on eggs. All they know is that their ancestors did it. This is why I think some traditions are retarded. Some traditions are okay, like for example, independence day of any country. You are remembering the day your country or whatever became independent. Now, imagine celebrating that day but not knowing why. Wouldn't it seem strange?

Same thing extends to traditions like "The guy should pay when dating a woman." Everyone says we should do that but no one knows why.

Overall, traditions are only good if we remember WHY we even celebrate them or par take in them. Traditions are SHIT if we only do them because "Our ancestors did it, derp".

What does /pol/ think?
>>
>I dislike traditions for the most part
sage
>>
>celebrating the day your country became independent

kek, we were always independent.
>>
>>78096802
>"The guy should pay when dating a woman." Everyone says we should do that but no one knows why.
Because cunts don't have money. Also because her father finances the wedding so the suitor has to finance outings during the courtship.
>>
>>78096920

shut the fuck germany. Your traditions are being raped as we speak. and you are doing nothing about it.
>>
>>78097107

>her father finances the wedding

Who in the fuck even does this anymore? That is a tradition that died. Weddings are often payed for the bride and groom and sometimes the in laws or whatever. More often than not, bride and groom.
>>
>>78097292
>Who in the fuck even does this anymore?
Everyone who isn't fucking retarded. My father-in-law didn't even really pay for anything for it, he got the booze and food out of his reserves.
>>
>>78097666

dude, honestly, hardly anyone does that shit anymore. The majority of the wedding bill is footed by the bride and groom. You must live in the fucking bible belt or some shit because no where in the civilized portions of the USA have the girls father pay for the whole wedding.
>>
>>78096802
>I swear guys, if we just do what I say, and judge what I deem rational, everything would be fine

Here's the problem with Progressives OP.... They never stop.

Human beings aren't rational creatures, we're rationalizing creatures. Yeah sure maybe somethings are more rational then others, but in the end culture war is a tug of war, not precision heart surgery to get everything just right.

Marxists don't understand this, and they'll bulldoze entire naturally occurring civilizations to try and create an impossible utopia.

The past and the old, has the stamp of approval of survival, since we're still here.... The future is unknown, and is gamble on greener pastures over the hill, instead of a cliff.

Its okay to be critical, but the side of righteousness is throwing your sword behind tradition.
>>
spooky
>>
>>78098376

I don't mind traditions that.. stand for something. But when people start doing traditions that they don't even fucking know why is what pisses me off.
>>
File: Gilbert_Chesterton.jpg (155 KB, 582x718) Image search: [Google]
Gilbert_Chesterton.jpg
155 KB, 582x718
>In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.
>>
>>78099087
People aren't even following common sense anymore, let alone abstract benign traditions.

Get your priorities straight.
>>
>>78098365
There wasn't even anything to pay for. We picked up chairs from the school to set up in his backyard and he already had the booze and food. What kind of expenses do you think a wedding entails?
>>
Joseph Campbell
>>
>>78096802
t. 14 year old having his first critical thoughts.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.