[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is political science worth studying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: farage.jpg (59 KB, 634x542) Image search: [Google]
farage.jpg
59 KB, 634x542
I'm about to graduate my degree in philosophy. Now, as with most philosophy graduates, I'm now wondering what the fuck to do with a philosophy degree. An interest of mine over the past year or so has been in politics, and now that I have a fuck ton of free time, I find myself spending my days reading about many different political issues being faced around the world (as a Brit, Brexit, and the IN campaign's project fear) has been fascinating to me, for example).

Having done some research, I have found a masters degree in political science which I think I would really enjoy. My problem is that I don't know what the fuck I'd actually do with a political science masters, nor do I know how this field is viewed by employers.

Has anyone here studied political science? Anyone have any insight as to whether or not it is worth studying in university?
>>
>>77929297
No.
>>
>>77929297
Political science is something you study in undergrad not get a masters in. If you want a masters that you can actually do something with get a masters in something like comparative politics or conflict resolution.
>>
No, I studied it and I regret it so much. Please, don't do it!
>>
Study law instead.
>>
>>77930511
I will have a look into masters in those subjects then. Cheers.
>>
>>77930624
Why do you regret it?
>>
>>77929297
study a hard science. Dont study anything that has "science" in its name.
>>
>>77930656
Could do, but I don't know that I want to live here for the rest of my life, and if I study law here it will obviously be British law. No idea how applicable that would be in other countries. Seems somewhat restrictive.
>>
>>77930851
But I have always been fucking terrible at science. Or at least i was terrible at science in high school. Also, it doesn't really interest me.
>>
>>77929297

Don't do it. You may learn some interesting stuff but none of it can be monetized.

You're employable only if you can weasel yourself into proper networks and since you're posting at /pol/ I'd say you can't, because you have the wrong opinions.

Study something that gets you knowhow, something that you can sell. You can always study politics as a hobby.
>>
poli sci undergrad here

don't do it. the only uses masters and PhDs in polisci are good for are careers in academia.
>>
>>77931305
Yeah, that makes sense.
And yeah, my opinions are not exactly politically correct at all. Already have a bunch of friends who think I've turned into some raging misogynistic islamophobe.
>>
>>77931502
Well fuck. A career in academia doesn't really interest me.
>>
>>77931609

Let me also stress something:

People don't nowadays study political science, or indeed any social science, because they are interested in pursuit of the truth.

They do so because they want make the world a better place. That is, they are looking to justify their beliefs. You can't debate with them, as soon as you open your mouth your mark yourself as their enemy. Basically you'd have to keep your mouth shut or risk becoming a pariah. But even if you did. the best pickings would still be for true devotees, and I don't think anyone can masquerade as one and retain his sanity.

Your friends seem like they'd like it there.
>>
>>77931609
Don't lose hope anon conflict resolution alone can be exstreamly useful for employers at all levels and an HR dept would pick you up in a second also if your good at it a career in the UN is possible.
>>
>>77932197
The course which I was interested in was heavily based on discussion (I think 10% of the marks in one of the modules was based on what you said in class), so keeping my mouth shut wouldn't really be an option.

Anyway, your point here just confirms one of my initial worries.

P.S I'm sure my friends and their fucking cultural Marxist shit would love it. Hell, one of my friends wants a hammer and sickle tattoo on her wrist.
>>
>>77932211
Alright, I will definitely look into it. Cheers for the advice.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.