[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Considering that American citizens are armed more than prett
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: Freud.jpg (250 KB, 1240x902) Image search: [Google]
Freud.jpg
250 KB, 1240x902
Considering that American citizens are armed more than pretty much any other 1st world coutnry, how come you never hear about mass shootings being stopped by everyday Joe's? Where are all these brave cowboys when the latest mass shooting rolls around?

Is it just the fact that untrained civilians with guns are completely useless, and that really the entire idea of widely available guns for "self defense" is pointless as ne'erdowells will train to kill and normal people wont?
:^)

The latest massacre, in case you haven't heard: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/12/orlando-shooting-nightclub-pulse-gunman
>>
Because
1) Massacres don't happen if an armed citizen stops them
2) Armed citizens taking out bad guys is only 1 person getting whacked. It's not something the big media can exploit for views.

Most Americans don't see how useful guns can be at self defense, so I'm not surprised a Brit sees even less.
>>
>>76984430
Are you seriously saying the news doesnt report these incidents? They get much more coverage than even successful massacres - everyone loves a hero story.

Eg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Thalys_train_attack was on the news for like 3 months
>>
>>76984429
element of surprise
>>
They're stopping terror attacks in trains in cuck countries such as France. And attacks on trigger mudslimes days
>>
>>76984431
I'm talking about US incidents where shootings are far more common. Of course US vets saving poor, helpless Euros is going to get an assload of media coverage.

I'm talking about all the little incidents. Armed robberies, murderous ex-husbands, etc. There are so many everyday self defense cases we don't here about because they're considered mundane by the media. It's like poor blacks getting shot and killed. Nobody pays attention because the media chooses not to look at it.
>>
>>76984433

But... France has gun control and nobody in that incident had a weapon except for the terrorist
>>
>>76984434

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about guns as an anti-terrorist initiative - the NRA's big thing they keep carping on about at the moment
>>
>>76984429
Because we have a lot a guns but not many carry them around on a daily basis and the US media doesn't report the good guy with a gun scenarios that happen in the US because they are all trying to push a narrative/are too god damn idiotic (Fox News)
>>
>>76984435
Was answering the question of where all the brave cowboys are
>>
>>76984436
Yeah, the NRA isn't always the brightest in picking out how to defend the average joe. They much more represent the gun companies, and making a profit for them. They play into people's fears just like the media to boost sales.

Guns serving in self defense are really seen in everyday incidents with citizens stopping thugs. It's just sheer probability. Mass shootings are still extremely rare relative to the US population size, and are usually committed against unarmed populations like schools. You don't hear about shooters attacking hard targets, only soft ones
>>
I know it's heretical to link reddit, but read some of the stories here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/39suml/seriousredditors_who_have_had_to_kill_in_self/
>>
>>76984429
Because shootings that are stopped don't make the news.
>>
>>76984441

but that isnt true
when terrorist plots get foiled they're splashed everywhere for weeks, like that train thing in 2015 and the Paris weapons cache bust last month
>>
>>76984442
>when terrorist plots get foiled they're splashed everywhere for week
No they aren't. I live in NYC, you here about them for maybe an afternoon before they're forgotten.
>Like that train thing in 2015
That was in Europe. In the US, the media only reports on bad shit that has happened, never the good.
>>
>>76984442
That's the police uncovering a plot. It ADDS to the fear narrative. Shootings getting stopped don't intrigue because they're not something that can scare.

Second, you keep bringing up European incidents from a European media perspective, while ALSO trying to argue on an american issue? Please reference American incidents at least if you're going to talk about an American issue
>>
>be american
>get shot
>>
>>76984443

can you link me to a story of an armed civilian foiling a terrorist plot from a north american news source?

>>76984444

I refer to european incidents because, as a european, I know them best.

Could you link me to an example American incident where a massacre was stopped by a civilian?
>>
>>76984446
I hate this website's design, but it gives a list of just a few:
http://controversialtimes.com/issues/constitutional-rights/12-times-mass-shootings-were-stopped-by-good-guys-with-guns/

AGAIN, you keep moving away from my point. GUNS save us in SMALLER incidents. How are you not getting this? They save us from muggings, home invasions, etc. Please reference the reddit thread I posted earlier.

Finally, it's about being PREPARED. Choosing NOT to be a victim hiding and waiting for the police. It's about being a responsible person by being able to defend yourself.
>>
>>76984430
>Most Americans don't see how useful guns can be at self defense
Then why people care so much about x amendment about having guns?
>>
>>76984447

Thanks, ill read through it now.

I wasnt talking about small incidents. I only want to discuss antiterror incidents as the NRA's point is that guns are essential for the War on Terror.

Also I am slightly confused by your condemnation of people who run and hide to wait for police - that is literally the best option for any civilian involved in a terror attack, armed or no.

The police doesn't need extra bodies in the way.
>>
>>76984447

Your link does nothing.
>>
>>76984450
Here try this other one
http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/collection/good-guy-gun-stopped-bad-guy-gun/

>>76984449
>Also I am slightly confused by your condemnation of people who run and hide to wait for police - that is literally the best option for any civilian involved in a terror attack, armed or no.

I'm not condemning them. Obviously running for your life is the BEST thing to do if you can. What I'm saying is that you have the POWER to be prepared and should. When a bear attacks you, of course it's not your fault for running away, but it would have been ideal if you carried bear-grade pepper spray to defend yourself. It's about refusing to be a victim in those situations.

>The police doesn't need extra bodies in the way.
That's true, but when those shooters/robbers/terrorists/thugs storm in, the police are minutes away. The killings happen in the small time frame BEFORE the police come in. It's in those CRITICAL moments when it's up to the people to take cover, flee, or fight. The popular saying amongst gun owners is: "when seconds count, the police are minutes away".

Also, there is also a split in gun owners on the 'sheepdog' mentality: that if you have a gun you should seek out and kill him to save lives. Many oppose this thinking. See this for better explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEke2EHPAQ
>>
>>76984451

Only the first one is a civilian stopping a mass terror incident.

All the others are police actions or crimes like burglary or one-on-one assaults.
>>
>>76984452
I know you're talking about the NRA counter-terror thing, but please realize that the NRA does NOT represent the common man.

The common man's threat of being in a mass shooting scenario is minuscule. You are far more likely to be involved in a robbery, home invasion, etc. Small time incidents. I know mass shootings are your main point, but really, the NRA doesn't represent average American gun owners. The NRA puffs its chest at a lot of things.

The best analogy I can think of is swimming. You are much more likely to drown when you swim than be attacked and ripped in half by a great white. However, the great white attacks garner all the media attention. You don't see the everyday drownings. But if you look at the number of deaths, it's the DROWNINGS that REALLY matter. It's the small incidents that really matter here and that's what I stand by.
>>
>>76984446
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Ryne_Goldberg#Planned_9.2F11_Anniversary_Attack_in_Kansas_City.2C_Missouri
>>
>>76984446
Somewhat bettetr source:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/12/31/new-york-man-arrested-for-attempted-new-years-eve-terror-plot/
>>
>>76984429
are you asking why a fag club didn't have gun carrying patrons?

I know brits are the dumbest yuros around, but this is ridiculous
>>
>>76984454
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Ryne_Goldberg#Planned_9.2F11_Anniversary_Attack_in_Kansas_City.2C_Missouri

There is nothign relevant there, is there?
>>
>>76984456

Nope, I am talking generally. You would know this had you read the OP.
>>
>>76984458
Please clarify your final point. We had to talk about to uncover you were actually talking about the NRA. Is your final point that the NRA is wrong on its counter-terrorist mass shooting initiative? Or are WE regular gun owners wrong on an issue, frankly, you don't really understand that well. Going by your original post, you have a very euro-centric view on gun rights in America and have just synthesized this opinion from what the media gives you.
>>
>>76984459

As simply as possible:

I think that the NRA's position on gun rights being essential for the US' antiterror capability is deeply flawed and I am interested in any evidence to the contrary that can be afforded me.
>>
>>76984460
Ah gotcha.

Personally, I think the NRA harking on this is a bit silly, but I see where they are coming from. Mass shootings are so rare, unexpected, and overpowering (shooters carry long guns typically which possess far more power) that you can only do so much. I assume the NRA is advocating more people to carry guns? Well, it's not a too-far-gone idea. More armed people in an area will likely deter a shooter. Again, mass shooters rarely pick hard targets. They always pick soft ones: schools, military bases (yes, these are soft due to military personnel not being able to carry), clubs, churches, etc.If more people are armed, shooters would probably be deterred from attacking that area.

Now, this carries on to the larger point of if people should be more armed or less. Many liberals bash conservatives with ridiculous cartoons of everyone pointing guns at each other, but more responsible, smart gun owners could really make a difference. The probability that mass shooters will run into a gun owner will be higher if more people are armed. If that's the NRA's logic, I can't fault them for thinking that
>>
>>76984461
>>76984460
Follow up: Now, saying guns are "essential" might be a bit of a stretch. A lot of factors go into this. Mental health, not letting terrorists into our country, government anti-terror programs, cultural norms, etc. all go into anti-terrorism.

I guess my overall point is that the NRA saying that gunowners are the spearhead of counter-terrorism is silly, but that doesn't negate all the principles behind being responsible for your own defense
>>
>>76984429
Because mass shootings almost always happen in gun-free zones.

For a long time "school shooting" was synonymous with "mass shooting" because they all took place at schools, and for a simple reason: schools are posted gun-free zones, which to a shooter is an advertisement that they won't be shot back at.

Additionally, for an armed citizen to respond to a mass shooting is difficult, because things happen very quickly and it almost always takes place in a crowded place, which makes returning fire safely a problem. In a mugging or ordinary assault, there's almost always a buildup or threat before the act itself, and that gives time to react. A mass shooter, however, usually makes an effort to act as quickly as possible, so they can do as much damage as they can before anyone can respond.

During the Colorado Theater shooting, for example, one man did in fact draw his own revolver to try and defend himself, but between the darkness, packed seating, and panicking theatergoers, he was unable to take a shot for fear of hitting others.
>>
>>76984429
protip: Don't trust the media.
>>
>>76984435
There have been several incidents in the past few years where shootings were stopped by CCW permit holders, and the news never really made it beyond the local news stations and a few conservative news sites. Facebook (where most of us shithead millennials get our news) has been proven to have a bias against allowing conservative news sites to trend.
>>
>>76984438
The first guy to attack the terrorist was a frenchman. He got stabbed like 4 times.

That isn't reported very often because he asked for anonymity.
>>
>>76984463
You pretty much summed up why gun ownership is a dumb concept. Even if someone has a gun in a shooting situation, they often can't do anything about it because of the mass chaos.

The US needs to do a gun buyback, then do raids to find any other guns that criminals and rednecks didn't turn in.
>>
>>76984430
>>76984434
>>76984439
I really hope you're just writing this because you want to troll here on 4chan. Nobody can be this retarded, even murricans...
>>
>>76984429
The leftist media hides the stories.
>>
>>76984429
We had a mass shooting attempt last week in Tel Aviv. 2 mudslim gunmen with submachine guns and pistols. They killed 4 people in a restaurant in the first shooting burst (nothing you can do about that), than one was shot the other captured. Armed populace does stop mass shooting.
If Omar tried to shoot up an NRA convention instead of a gay club he would have been shot in a minute instead of an hour with less casualties.
>>
>>76984446
I can provide plenty where potentially mass shootings were stopped, because it sounds like this guy may have been religiously motivated but not directly tied to anyone.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/170254/how-assistant-principal-gun-stopped-school-shooter-daniel-greenfield
http://www.nap.edu/read/10370/chapter/6#73
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/us/3-slain-at-law-school-student-is-held.html
http://www.5280.com/magazine/2012/12/jeanne-assam-still-waiting?page=0,2
http://www.collegiatetimes.com/opinion/columnists/statistics-show-concealed-carry-saves-many-lives-takes-few/article_ba2d7bb8-2faa-5686-bc79-85d9361f62d4.html
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Two-wounded-in-theater-shooting-4122668.php

I know a couple of these are off-duty cops, but that means they were using personal CC weapons. If anything, it should speak to the need for people who get their permit to get properly trained to handle situations better.
>>
>>76984429
>are armed more than pretty much any other 1st world coutnry
No, it's more than any country period. And by a wide margin.
>>
File: Trumperino.jpg (56 KB, 342x465) Image search: [Google]
Trumperino.jpg
56 KB, 342x465
DEAR FUCKIN' GOD!
PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS GUY! DON'T LET THAT CHICK BECOME PRESIDENT!
>>
>>76984430
Trained police officers hit bystanders all the time you fucking retarded shill
>>
Mass shootings or not it's clear that the guns never served their purpose of protecting people from the government, so even if amerifats don't want to admit it the second amendment is just for show
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.